• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 1,421 Views, 13 Comments

The Plight of the Eternal - tajjetone



Everything is fleeting. Life is short and evanescent, and all must eventually come to an end.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,421

Passing

The Plight of the Eternal

The Sun Princess stood over the bed, her mane blowing in some ethereal breeze. She gazed down at the purple mare surrounded by frantic monitors, the state-of-the-art equipment meaningless. For ponies that know so much, they sometimes know so little, Celestia thought to herself with a sad smile. Everything must come to an end. A single tear ran down her face, which faltered momentarily under her practiced, royal guise as she looked back upon the life of the vibrant purple filly whose blinding acuity was only now beginning to fade.

An explosion. A vibrant, multi-hued wave of light tore the visual spectrum asunder as it rolled across the sky. Princess Celestia looked up in alarm as pure magical energy ripped apart the tower where her examinations were being held.

The gilded regalia adorning her hoof touched lightly down upon the purple filly's shoulder, extinguishing the burning light behind her eyes and breaking the aura of uncontrolled power in the room. The examiners fell to the floor in a heap as the magical glow subsided.

But the Princess did not require their input any longer. This filly, she knew, would be the one.

Celestia smiled. A smile overcome with contented sadness.

With a blinding flash of light, the Princess of the Sun slowly took form, materializing in the ruin with the disembodied joy of some heavenly chorus. The Bearers all bowed but for one, the gilded Element of Magic adorning-- crowning-- the top of her head. "Princess Celestia!" the unicorn exclaimed, her face lighting up in glee at the sight of her mentor.

To say the unicorn was 'talented' would be a gross understatement, 'intelligent' an insult and 'dedicated' simply laughable. The filly she had taught and raised since she was barely old enough to use magic was now a young mare, brimming with youthful vigor and the will and eagerness to make her mentor proud. She had saved her friends, she had saved Equestria... and she had saved her sister.

Celestia's royal visage wavered, then cracked.

The six of them wandered through the maze, the evil entity's sardonic laugh echoing through the foliage. One by one, all had abandoned each other.

An unbidden tear rolled down the alicorn's radiant visage.

The colorless unicorn unrolled the scroll, reading curiously. It was a letter-- a letter she had sent. A report.

The Princess of the Sun sighed; a bittersweet, pained sigh.

"We are gathered here today," Celestia began, "to once again honor the heroism of these six friends, who stood up to the villain Discord and saved Equestria from eternal chaos!" A cheer erupted from the crowd.

Twilight lay upon the plain hospital bed, her purple coat that once shined with the same enthusiasm the scholar who bore it now matte and dull. Her mane, once flowing behind the mare's head with such ease, was now a knotted mess, its uniquely identifying locks of such beautiful contrast with the remainder of the violet mass now tangled and unkempt. On the aging mare's tired face, however, was a look of exhaustion but utmost peace, a tired smile gracing her features.

The unicorn's eye cracked open, her weary features drawing into a broadening grin as she inclined her head in a nod that was perhaps slightly stiffer than it should have been. Her features were worn and haggard, exhausted from a life in academia that had started younger than any.

"Princess," came a weak whisper, the unicorn's smile broadening ever so slightly.

Celestia's gilded hoof lightly touched Twilight's shoulder in much the same way it had all those years ago. The mare under her regalia flinched slightly, smiling sheepishly at her own reaction.

"Twilight," the motherly response gently reverberated, a certain transient echo lending itself to the radiant alicorn's voice.

Twilight opened her dry mouth wearily as if to speak again, only to close it as she caught sight of the Princess' gaze and smiled, a melancholy but almost sheepish grin gracing her face in spite of the situation.

Celestia returned the expression gracefully, a caring, motherly smile shining down on the unicorn from the Sun Princess' radiant face.

Always a student, the alicorn thought to herself, wanting only to be shown her way on this next journey.

In life, Twilight mused silently as her body began to relax, a warm glow washing over her, all are unique. It matters not whether rich or poor, she continued to herself, for we are all of dust, and so shall we return to dust. A tear rolled down her cheek, but of what? We must make the best of what we are given, for our time here is fleeting and transient. Evanescent are our health and resources; only through the truest of friendships can we actualize ourselves in any meaningful way.

The thoughts at first brought with them anxiety, but a sense of pervading calmness soon overtook her.

Twilight smiled, looking back upon herself with detached interest as her eyelids grew heavy and her head rolled back to lie against the stiff pillow that felt so warm, so welcoming. She had done much. She had met many friends, and she had made her mentor proud. She had accomplished much and had always pushed herself to help those around her. Now she was finally content, and now she could rest.

And so it came to pass that, with a final shuddering sigh, the unicorn lay still, her head lolled back on the pillow, silky mane draped tiredly underneath.

Celestia sighed as the unicorn's battered body relaxed completely, her beaten and worn form taking on a serene look.

The haggard mare's lifeless body rested peacefully on the bed, looking for all the world like she was simply asleep.

"Sleep well, my faithful student," the Princess of the Sun murmured softly, bowing her head in respect and surprising herself with the gesture. Twilight had taught Celestia just as much as she had taught the filly unicorn, and she would be missed.

It is the plight of the eternal, the Princess thought to herself, for sometimes it is but a curse to outlast those whom you love.

Comments ( 13 )

*salutes*

This is brilliant. :fluttercry:

1240131
Don't be sad! She lived a good life.
Here, have a hug.
i.imgur.com/rzZW5.png

1244394
*salutes*

1246066
I am honored. Thank you, good sir.

Even though this is not the most original idea... I actually still really liked this story a lot. You captured the emotions well, and the flow and grammar were fine, :ajsmug: and I think this definitely deserves more attention. You're a very good writer, so keep writing stuff like this, and you'll be pretty popular before you know it. :eeyup: And when you write a popular fic that's get featured, you'll get all the notifications you can ever want (I read in your blog post you apparently like those quite a bit. :raritywink:). I know that from experience, I've had a couple there. :rainbowlaugh:

Anyways, yeah. Great work.

1252019

I'm opening up FiMFiction today and seeing your name all over the place. I'm very pleased to know that you think my stories have that much potential, and thanks a lot for the feedback! :pinkiehappy:

Luz

This is great, definitely giving a thumbs up on this one.

Wow this is really good. Keep it up. :twilightsmile:

1257147 1301691

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :raritywink:

This was incredible.:fluttercry:
So concise, poignant without melodrama.
That's it, I'm watching you.:coolphoto:

1332778

I've been watching my notifications wondering what you'd think of this one.

Glad you liked it! :twilightsmile:

And thanks for the watch. :heart:

This made my tears cry :raritycry:
But, seriously, awesome stuff :moustache:

I Just stumbled upon this and... oh sweet Celestia it's beautiful:fluttercry:
I'm not sure whether I want to ask for more for fear of crying :fluttershysad:

Login or register to comment