• Published 23rd Sep 2021
  • 9,536 Views, 3,796 Comments

The Only Mark That Matters - CocktailOlive



The story of Radish Root, a pony with obscene cutie marks.

  • ...
32
 3,796
 9,536

PreviousChapters Next
53. The Wedding, Part 6: Reception

“Luna…”

“Yes, my dear Champion?"

Radish opened his eyes, lifting his head off a table he didn’t know he was resting it on. He felt a change against his coat, and looked to see he was no longer in his armor, but his tuxedo. Luna was sitting demurely in the chair across from him in a lavender evening gown.

“Princess?”

“You are missing the reception. Come. Let us dance.”

Radish looked around. They were in the palace ballroom, though it was dim and hazy. Every table beyond their own seemed to blur into a fog. Radish couldn’t tell how many, if any, other ponies were present. He looked back at Luna, who was standing next to him with her hoof extended.

“Okay.”

Luna smiled and allowed Radish to lead her to the dance floor. She leaned against him and rested her chin on his head. He could feel her heart beating against his cheek.

“Do you know this song?” she asked. “It is one of my favorites.”

Radish listened. There was indeed a song in the air, but Radish didn’t recognize it, the genre it belonged to, or even the instruments playing it. He couldn't see a band or a DJ.

“Princess… what happened? Where is everyone? Something… attacked me, I think…”

“Do not worry about that now. Just relax and enjoy yourself.”

“What happened to Twilight? The captain? There was something about Princess Cadenza… something… got in your tower?”

“Fret not. All is well.”

“All is well? But…”

“You are quite dashing in your formal jacket. It is most flattering.”

“…thank you. I like your dress.”

“Thank you. It is new.”

Radish heard a loud boom. The tables rattled. He looked around.

“What was that?”

“Just the entertainment.”

“But-”

“I like your fragrance. What is it?”

“It’s oakmoss. I like… uh… yours, too.”

“It’s bergamot. A gift from Celestia.”

“Celestia… where is she?”

“She is fine.”

“That’s not-”

A new song began.

“Oh! I know this one,” said Luna. “It’s more recent. The first time I heard it, I loved it.”

“Princess…”

"Don't you love it, too?"

"What... what is going on?"

“Shh.”

Radish felt Luna stroking the back of his neck. His heartbeat slowed down. His eyelids drooped and his hooves relaxed.

The music changed again. It became something slower. Luna felt warmer and softer. The room became darker.

PreviousChapters Next