• Published 7th Sep 2012
  • 29,453 Views, 1,292 Comments

What is a Name? - Key Tapper



Pinkie Pie finds herself in a position where she can no longer recall the years she has spent in Ponyville, as if the memories were erased from her mind entirely. She must rediscover herself, her love for her friends, and her passion for life.

  • ...
38
 1,292
 29,453

Epilogue

As the lively song came to an end, Rainbow Dash decided to take a break from dancing. The party had lasted well into the evening, and it’d likely wind down soon enough.

Rainbow made her way over to the punch bowl where Twilight had already begun to pour herself a glass.

“Hey there, Twilight.”

“Oh! Hey, Rainbow Dash,” she responded. “Great party, huh?”

“Yeah! Not surprising, really. This is Pinkie Pie we’re talking about,” Rainbow said. “Speaking of which, have you seen her around?”

“Now that you mention it,” Twilight began, rubbing a hoof to her chin, “I haven’t seen her in the last half hour or so.”

“Huh, that’s weird,” said Rainbow Dash.

“Yeah. Kind of unusual for her to take a break from her own party." Twilight chuckled.

Twilight left the punch table, leaving Rainbow Dash to wonder on her own. Rainbow scanned the room, but Pinkie was nowhere to be seen.

She was just about to rejoin the rest of her friends, but something caught her eye.

The door to Pinkie's balcony, which she had entered through more times than she could count, seemed to beckon her outside.

Without a second thought, she made her way across the room and opened the door. Instantly, a cool breeze swept over her body and ran loosely between the locks of her mane. After hours of exerting herself, the air was immensely refreshing.

Whew, that feels good.

She gratefully breathed a sigh of relief before taking two steps out to the balcony, the door closing softly behind her.

It took a moment for her to realize she was not alone. When at last she noticed, out of the corner of her eye, the very pony she'd been searching for, she jumped in surprise.

"Gah! Pinkie, what are you doing here?" she said, initially shocked.

Pinkie said nothing.

Confused, Rainbow Dash waved a hoof in front of her face. "Hello? Pinkie? Anypony in there?"

Pinkie didn’t respond, and her gaze remained fixed on the night sky.

Okay, this is weird, even for Pinkie, she thought.

Suddenly, Pinkie turned her head to look at Dash. With an unmistakably familiar tone and a gentle smile, she said, "Thanks for being such a great friend, Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow immediately recognized the sedate, yet warm voice, despite not having heard it in a month. The pegasus stood there motionless, too dumbfounded to speak.

Finally, she managed, "P-Pinkie?"

At that, Pinkie shook her head and blinked her eyes rapidly, seeming to snap back to reality. She looked around in confusion, and then straight at Rainbow. “Oh! Hey Dashie! Did you say something?” she asked.

The sound of the wind filled in the silence between them, until Rainbow finally replied, “Um... no, I didn’t say anything. I was just, um... looking for you. You’ve been gone awhile.”

Pinkie held up a wrist to look at her watch, which Rainbow hadn’t recalled seeing there before. “Oh, wow! I must’ve dozed off or something! C’mon, Dashie. We should probably get back to the party!”

Before Rainbow Dash had time to respond, Pinkie gleefully trotted back inside, leaving the pegasus out there by herself.

Dash looked up at the night sky, the light of countless stars shining back down on her. She rested her head on the railing, and smiled. Raising her hoof in the air, she waved at the ocean of stars.

Despite the explanations her friends had given her, Rainbow Dash was convinced that somewhere, somehow, she was waving back.

Author's Note:

Edited by: DPV111, CookieMonstar and Starlitomega

Comments ( 178 )

This is the epilogue... Is it complete or not? Oh.

Bittersweet...

2951191
It's marked as "complete". This tale has come to an end.

Also, WOW you are a fast reader.

Impressive end to an impressive fic.

I enjoyed every bit of it.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Why can't I like this story more than once?!? :fluttershbad:

A really good story, the like I really want to see more on this site.

The sheer joy of seeing such a great story update, and then the bittersweet melancholy when you realize it has ended, made my eyes water a bit with both parts, though that could be allergies, I want to attribute it to the fact that this story was amazing, and I just wanted to say that. I'm not one for long winded bouts of words saying how amazing something is, so I shall conclude this comment now.

Deus ex, huh? I'm... kinda upset you decided to just come up with something that could instantly solve all of their problems out of nowhere.

So, is she going to be like the Pinkie in Seeing the Pattern?

You could have left the ending a tiny bit more ambiguous, In my opinion.

I liked it a lot. And yay Pinkie is possessed by the ghost of Pinkamena past.

:fluttercry: Poor Pinkie.
A sad yet beautiful end.
As much as I would have liked an happy ending , this is much more powerful .:pinkiesad2:
Thanks for the story. :heart:

WHY MUST YOU MAKE ME WEEP!!!!!

Alright. This fic is a great fic. The story is wonderful and gripping, and you genuinely feel for Alt. Pinkie. The Deus Ex moment in the last chapter worried me, but im glad that it was not used. Though I do love a happy ending, sometimes you have to see the world is not all sunshine and flowers. All and all, i give this fic a nine out of ten. Ill be watching you...:pinkiesad2:

I was convinced that this was gonna be resolved with the mirror pool rather than a deus ex machina(which isn't even used?) Dunno, think that woulda been a cleaner solution.
Anyway, good ending regardless, it just makes me feel like it could have been avoided using the pool.

It would be nice to know how much time has passed since the last chapter, just to give us some perspective on how long it took them to move on, or how long RD hasn't moved on

This story was simply incredible in how it touched my soul in the end.
Pinkamina's sacrifice reminds me of a Verse, which I think is most fitting.

John 15:13

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

2951389
It was mentioned in this chapter that it is a month after the last chapter.

This was a beautiful story. :pinkiesad2: You are good.
One thing though. It has been a whole month and they were having a party at Pinkie's again. RD got out on the balcony and the Alt. Pinkie was talking to her one last time. But as you described it in your last chapter she should be long gone, or be in the tear, unable to communicate at all. But now she spoke with RD again. Does this mean she is still part of Pinkie Pie's mind, not vanished at all? If yes I think I'm smelling a sequel. When she is still able to communicate with otherss through Pinkie I demand a sequel. This cannot be an unsolved mystery! :flutterrage:

Dragon:moustache:

Not sure how I expected the story to end, but I don't think this was it. At the same time, I can't help but smile.

Good job.

2951389
It was kind of vague, but the Epilogue is about a month later.

2951453
Sorry. You know as well as I do that it's impossible to please everyone. :fluttershysad:

The resolution and ending sucked. Contrived failure/Failure Is the Only Option.... when they can bloody well make CLONES with a MIRROR POOL.

...
I don't even know what to say.
...

Bittersweet ending :pinkiesad2:

Now I haz a sad, but it's understandable why things worked out they way they did. Still :raritydespair:

2951489

I feel ya, but has the Too Many Pinkies episode even happened here yet? No one but Pinkie would know it existed. And I doubt she would think of it, being all metaphysical. That's assuming a magical construct like a Mirror Pool Clone would have been able to sustain her, anyway. They're more reflections of your intent when creating them than real beings, they may have simpler brains, or no brains.
It wasn't Failure/Failure either. The Tear would have worked, they just ran out of time.

Comment posted by CaptainFabulass deleted Jul 28th, 2013

I just read the title and I was hooked.

2951489
This story takes place between Seasons 2 and 3. How would they know about the mirror pool then?

2951562 Actually I was agreeing with you for the first one, my whole point was based around how it was perfect that she was so detached and removed from the situation.

For the second one, why is this story labeled "sad"? Well because that's what it is a sad story. Sure you can sit here all day justifying how what they did was the right decision and how it was the only decision, but at the end of the day the other Pinkie was real and she is dead. Not only is she dead, but she doesn't exist. Think of in other stories when there are robots who have real emotions. Regardless they are viewed as less then human, yet if they die the audience isn't going to go "Oh well it was only a robot" No it was alive and the same goes for Pinkamena who in no way deserved her fate and you simply can't label as just a fragment of a memory.

2951203

How fast do you read? Maybe I just caught it early?

2951701
Dunno. It just seems like you gave your input like 5 minutes after I posted it.

2951713

700 wpm... OKAY! :pinkiehappy:

Wow. This kept me hooked all the way through. All I can say about the epilogue is that the ambiguity was possibly the best way this story could have ended.

A beautiful ending to a great story.

Meh, I felt that this real Pinkie Pie got snuffed by everypony but for Rainbow Dash.

This is not the ending I wanted! You have crushed my hopes and dreams. Why couldn't we have a happy ending? :raritydespair:

Somehow I find myself having a hard time forming much in the way of a final substantive comment here, so I'll just say that it's been an interesting and enjoyable story.

Very well ended. I loved it!finally, a change in endings! somehow, this wasn't a sad ending. i found it happy. I loved this story!

This story brings sadness to my heart. But it's a good kind of sadness.

Bravo ! Bravo ! :pinkiehappy::rainbowwild::twilightsmile::yay::trollestia::raritywink::rainbowkiss::pinkiegasp::ajsmug::derpytongue2::moustache:

Couldn't Pinkamena have used the Mirror Pool to put Pinkie in a clone?

2951964 Yeah. It wouldn`t have been as sad though. That`s what made it beautiful.

This made me cry and now I have a really bad headache. Thanks a lot. That was meant in the sincere way for making a great story and sarcastically for giving me a headache.

I desire to know whether the Alternate Pinkie could hold on only long enough to say it or she is still within Pinkie Pie.

We need a Sequel...

Perhaps one that includes events of the Mirror Pool being the cause of Alternate Pinkie reemerging again?

2951964
They're not supposed to know about the mirror pool yet, story is set between Season 2 and 3. Plus I doubt they're whole beings since Twilight was so willing to obliterate them, and through their behaviour. Seemed more like they only took on the mindset of their creator at the time of the cloning, and that became their entire existence.

So maybe the "Pinkamena" Pinkie can occasionally rear her head and have control of Pinkie Pie's body, at least temporarily.

Only one thing bugs me about this ending: Original Pinkie lasted several days, so why did new Pinkie fade so quickly when they were switched?

I... I hoped something, like the Mirron Pool... it's so sad, with a little hope, but sad... :fluttershysad:

2952567
I think it's more like this. The physical body can only hold 2 beings at the same time for so long and the subconsious one, whoever that might be at the time, feels the symptoms. The second Pinkamena becomes toe subconsious she gets the full force being evaporated like Pinkie Pie was experiencing the second before. So it's not each being has their own clock, but the body itself who has the clock. If that makes sense.


// Sphex

Login or register to comment