• Published 19th Dec 2011
  • 838 Views, 12 Comments

After Discord - Faindragon



The Celestial Twins have defeated Discord, but Trotholm still needs to be cleared. That is up to me

  • ...
4
 12
 838

Chapter 19

A friends embrace.
A daughters smile.
Is that all that is needed to regain what is lost?
Is that what is needed to replenish your mind?
Or is it all a facade?
There to confuse you.

The carrot mansion, home for the once great carrot family. Today was the only inhabitants Carrotrose’s old father, Carrotsword, and ,hopefully, had Carrotrose searched herself here from Trotholm. And with her, my daughter.

“Honey is not here, we have lost her.” the voice said sadly.
“If Carrotrose is here, then my daughter is as well.”
“We have lost her. She is dead.” the voice broke down, started to cry inside my head.

What is happening with that voice? It was all taunting earlier, is it trying to put me off balance?
I decided to ignore it for now. The thing of importance now was to find my daughter, to get to know if she really was here or not.

No guards were guarding the mansion, the iron gate stood slightly open in Celestia's morning grace. The big garden was dilapidated, the flowers had grown wildly, the grass had not been fixed for a long time. Ivy had started to climb the once beautiful statues. The only part of the garden that was taken care of was a small part around the great oak tree standing in the center of the garden. I looked at the mansion. What was so important that they took care of it while the rest of the garden was left alone?

A well worn path in the grass took me to the base of the great oak tree, Celestia's eye watching my back. I should have understood what a lonely pony valued to take care of.

At the base of the great oak tree was a grave, a simple stone in the shape of a heart marking its position. My shadow fell over the stone, so I took a couple of steps to the side. The grave mark was placed as to catch the first graze from Celestia every morning. An inscription had been made in the middle of the heart.

‘Here lays Carrotshield. Beloved wife of Carrotsword, mother of Carrot rose. May you watch down upon us from the heavens and protect us as you always have done.

You are missed, my wife.’

I saw small outlines around the text, and took a step back. A shield had been carved into the stone, two carrots crossing it at the top.

I looked away, I could feel a tear in my eye. After all these years had Carrotsword still taken care of this place, even if the rest of the garden had dilapidated. I had never been at this mansion before, but I had been with Carrotrose when she recieved the letter.

It was a morning, not even two days after I had been released. I had found my house and my belongings sold, so I had taken resort at the tavern close to my former house. Carrotrose had taken care of me, she had cared about me. Then, suddenly, was it my turn to take care of her.

The letter had said that ‘Lady Carrotshield had died in service of the empire.’ Nothing more, nothing less. No explanations. She had cried, and I had tried to comfort her as much as I could. I told her that she should go to the funeral, but she had refused. I asked why but she had refused to answer that. In the end had I only been there by her side, a cliff she could cry against.

No, that was enough of that. That was in the past, I had things I had to take care of infront of me. I had to found Honey, I had to.

I staggered at the first step forward I took, nearly falling to the ground.

I had to sleep.

*^*

I knocked on the doors to the big mansion. To my surprise did an old servant open the door.
“Yes, what can I do for you this early hour?” he asked sourly.

I looked at the gray coated unicorn in front of me.
“I’m here to talk to lady Carrotrose, if she is here.”

“Does she know that you are here?”

I could not help but smile, Carrotrose was here.
“She believes that I’m dead.”

“Very well then, I shall tell her that you are here.” he turned to leave.

“Wait.” I called after him.

He stopped in his track, looked back at me.
“Yes?”

“My daughter? Is she here?”

“Your daughter sir? The yellow filly? Honey?” he said, giving me a smile. “Yes, she is here, arrived together with the lady Carrotrose.”

I released the breath I had held unknowing.
“Thank you.”

He turned and left, closing the door behind him. I stood there alone on the stairs, hopping that Carrotrose wanted to see me again, hopping that she could help me.

*^*

And then, suddenly, did the door open again. I found myself in the embrace of Carrotrose.

“You are alive! I can not believe that you are alive. This is such a relief. Honey have cried for days, she will be so happy now that you are back.” Carrotrose said before I could do anything.

“I’m here and alive. How is Honey? What happened to you?” I asked.

“Honey is asleep, that poor thing have not slept at all since we had to leave the city. She has only cried, she thought she had lost you. After you had left did a note slip through the door at the tavern. It said that you had been captured and that I had to leave the city at once, that I was in danger. When you did not return... I closed the tavern, took Honey with me and left. And here I am. I did not want to risk Honey, and I had to visit my father anyway.”

I swayed on the spot when Carrotrose released me.

“Oh my, you must be tired. Come in, come in, we have an extra room that you can take and sleep in. I will tell Honey as fast as that little sweetheart wakes up, she will be so happy! Follow me, you will have to tell me everything when you wake up again!” Carrotrose said and turned around, trotting into the mansion.

*^*

Carrotrose showed me to a room, big windows giving me a view of the mansion’s garden and the settlement beyond the gates. But most importantly was a big bed placed at the other side of the room. I made my way towards it, and could hear Carrotrose whisper goodnight to me.

And then, the dream took its hold on me.