• Published 10th Sep 2012
  • 1,560 Views, 59 Comments

Gan Teideal - Vedavyasa



Crazy Scotsman Invades Equestria. Shenanigans Ensue.

  • ...
4
 59
 1,560

Draíocht


“So when do I get my magic?” asked Kevin during the walk back to Ponyville.

Celestia thought for a moment before answering. “When we return to Ponyville, I will begin preparations. It will take some time, magic can be very complex and this spell is exceedingly difficult. Actually, it’s one of only three or four I need to have a proper circle for instead of doing it all in my mind.”

Kevin almost laughed. “Circle? You’re telling me magic is done with circles and rituals and shit?”

“Some is,” Celestia began. “There are two forms of magic, evocation and thaumaturgy. Evocation is quick and relatively simple. Think or say the words, focus your power, and something happens. Levitation, lighting candles, calling a small gust of wind, that’s evocation. Thaumaturgy is more complex; you draw connections between things, make something happen on a small scale, and then give it the power to happen on a larger scale. When I brought your backpack to you, I used thaumaturgy. Usually that would require a circle, but it can be done without one if you have enough focus.”

Kevin laughed again. “Jesus Christ I’m in The Dresden Files. Do I get a staff and a robe too?”

Celestia looked confused for a moment, but quickly recovered. “You may wear a robe if you wish, I suppose, but a staff will likely be necessary. You will need to focus your power through something, after all.”

Kevin thought for a moment. “Does it need to be anything special?” he asked.

“No,” Celestia replied, “it can be anything. Basically, you need something to stand in for a unicorn horn. The specifics are your decision.”

Kevin grinned, he had an idea now. “Alright. Can you tell me a little more about magic?”

“Certainly,” said Celestia, beaming. “What would you like to know?”

“Let’s start with the rules you mentioned earlier,” Kevin said.

“They’re fairly simple. One, you may not use magic of any form to harm any pony. This includes everything from mind magic to telekinesis. Self defence is an exception. Two, you may not create something from nothing. That would lead to a destabilised economy, which is unacceptable. Alchemy is regulated, but allowed. Three, you may not summon certain creatures without express permission. There is a list of these creatures, which you will receive. Four, necromancy of any kind is strictly forbidden. Five, the use of magic in the commission of any crime will lead to stricter penalties, possibly including being stripped of your gift,” Celestia recited as if by wrote.

“Who enforces these laws?” Kevin asked.

Celestia levelled an even gaze at the human. “My sister and I. Personally.”

Kevin had the sudden feeling that the rules of magic were rarely, if ever, breached in Equestria. “Point made. What’s with the whole circles and shit?”

Celestia smiled again. It was beginning to worry Kevin how quickly she could switch from cold and threatening to cheery and friendly. “That is slightly more complicated. Any shape could be used, I suppose, but circles work the best because they have no edges. There is no angle where the shape is weak. That makes the whole process more energy efficient for thaumaturgy, and it makes it harder for a creature to break the circle when you summon them. It also has to do with tradition, circles have been used for millennia and so circles have been ingrained in pony’s minds. Ponies believe that circles are magical, and so they are.”

“Faith,” Kevin said. “You’re telling me faith has magical power?”

Celestia nodded. “Yes. A magical creature can fuel very powerful magic by faith alone.”

Kevin resisted the urge to snort. “Faith kills. I’ve seen men blow themselves to hell because of faith. Can’t trust a believer.”

“Is that what you believe?” Celestia asked innocently. Kevin scowled.

“I believe in reality, nothin’ else. No faith involved.”

“Semantics, Kevin. You believe in reality. You have faith that reality will continue along the same path it always has. Am I wrong?” asked Celestia.

“Well given the fact that two days ago reality was bonnie ‘ol Glasgow and today reality is wee little magic talkin’ ponies, methinks yes, you’re wrong,” Kevin snapped back.

“Ah, so you no longer believe this is a hallucination?”

Kevin hesitated for a moment. “Let’s not go there yet.”

Celestia nodded. “So be it, although you may wish to think of it. The Creator will likely be able to answer your questions when I summon him, if you can decipher his answers.”

Kevin borrowed a page from Celestia’s book and raised one of his shaven eyebrows. “Decipher his answers?”

Celestia laughed, but it wasn’t her normal musical laugh. It sounded almost bitter. “The Creator is the type to leave you with more questions than answers. He’ll lie or tell half truths that lead you to the truth. If he’s feeling generous, he may explain a situation in perfect detail from his perspective and leave you to translate that. He’s also fond of riddles.”

Kevin stopped walking, motioning for Celestia to stop as well. After a bare moment, comprehension dawned and his jaw dropped. “Damn you to hell!” he spat, “you played me like a fuckin’ deck of cards didn’t you?”

Celestia put on an innocent expression and raised her hoof to her chest as if to say, ”who, me?”

Kevin glared at her, and the Princess relented. “Yes. I didn’t expect to be able to send you home, and I suspected The Creators involvement. I knew that if I was right, you would likely want to speak with The Creator, and knowing how he can be I tested you. Had you lost our game, I would not have offered to summon The Creator for you to speak with. I would have spoken to him alone instead, and relayed the knowledge to you.”

Kevin’s expression darkened even farther, and his eyes seemed to get a little brighter. “Fuck. You.” He snarled, “I don’t appreciate being played for a fool.”

Celestia’s expression remained unchanged. “If you’ll think for a moment, you gained a great deal from this Kevin. I intend to fulfill my bargain and grant you the gift of magic, is that not more than a fair price for a simple test?”

“That aint the fuckin’ point,” Kevin practically screamed, “you made me think you might be able to send me home. You don’t know sweet fuck all about where I came from, do ya? There’s gonna be dyin’ done over me disappearing I’ll bet, and I know for damned sure people will bleed at least. My friends are gonna be the ones doin’ that dyin’ and bleedin’. Your lyin’ made me think that might not happen.”

Celestia made to respond, but Kevin cut her off with a sharp wave of his hand. “Now let’s think about me, personally. I’ve got the clothes on my back and some shit in a backpack, that’s it. Friends, gone. You played up the ‘ol motherly you can trust me bullshit, and I did. I fucking trusted you, cause I needed somethin’ to hold on to. So whadid you do? You fucked me. Go to hell.”

With that, Kevin slammed a solid right into Celestia’s jaw and stalked off, leaving a very surprised Princess sitting dazed on the road.

“Next time, account for temper...” Celestia muttered to herself as she watched the human walk away.


Kevin had murder on his mind. He stomped through Ponyville with a steady glare on his face and his lip curled in an expression of silent fury, terrifying the peaceful population as he went. He had his ear buds around his neck, and metal blasted from the small speakers. A cigarette was blazing merrily away in his mouth, his deep drags sending huge plumes of smoke from his mouth. The overall effect was one of a monster on a death march, looking for a kill. Kevin was fine with that.

Eventually he found himself in front of the library. Normally, he would have laughed at the literal tree house, but instead he nearly ripped the door off its hinges. Spike and Twilight stared at him, but he paid no mind. He walked through the first door he came to, and found a small and empty room full of stacked books. Taking a seat near the window so he could ash his cigarette, he began counting slowly under his breath.

“One... two... three...”

He counted to ten several times, and eventually managed to blunt the sharpest edge of his anger. Celestia had arrived by then, and he could hear voices through the closed door.

“I’m sorry Twilight, but I must ask you and Spike to leave the library until sundown.”

“Of course Princess, may I ask why?”

“I lost a wager with Kevin. I owe him the gift of magic.”

Kevin heard a sharp intake of breath, and sidled closer to the door to hear the rest of the conversation more clearly.

“But he’s a non-magical creature, isn’t he? It isn’t possible to give him magic.”

“Difficult, but not impossible. It’s a very complex and delicate spell, and the presence of a power as great as your own would likely be enough to unbalance the ritual.”

Another intake of breath, somehow sounding worried this time.

“Wouldn’t that mean...?”

Celestia’s gentle laughter filtered through the door. “Yes Twilight, it would mean a large expenditure of unrestrained magic, such as what happened in The Everfree Forest. Surely you can understand, then, why I would like you to leave.”

“Yes Princess. That shouldn’t take that long though...”

“This is your home, it’s only fair for you to know. I intend to summon The Creator. I suspected his involvement in this matter, and what I saw in the forest confirmed it. You have a summoning circle, do you not?”

“Yes. Through that door, under some books. It’s made of silver, and has a few enchantments on it. Nothing too complicated. Kevin’s in there right now though, and he looked angry when he went in.”

“He has good reason to be angry. Now, I’d like to begin the ritual as soon as possible.”

“Of course Princess. Come on Spike, we’re going to go visit Rarity.”

Hoofsteps, then the sound a door closing. Silence reigned for a moment. Kevin got to his feet and moved a few of the stacks of books, and found the circle Twilight had mentioned. The silver ring was nearly five feet in diameter, and the entire surface was covered in tiny engravings. Kevin’s eyes widened at the sight. He was no metal worker, but he understood how difficult it must have been to create such a thing. The door opened behind him, and the human turned to stare at focus of his anger.

The Princess stood there, looking apologetic. Her mouth was already half open, and so Kevin decided to listen to what she had to say.

“I owe you an apology Kevin. I didn’t understand there would be violence over your arrival here.”

“You didn’t bother askin’ either,” Kevin shot back. “You didn’t give two shits.”

“Guilty,” Celestia said sadly, “but it was necessary. I feel it fair to explain a level of manipulation you missed, as a measure of good faith.” Kevin’s eyes hardened, but he gave a short nod. “I intentionally revealed my testing to see how you would react, as another test. I would like to say you passed with flying colours, but I’m afraid I can’t.” Kevin grinned, still satisfied at the light throb in his right hand. “But, that is enough of such things. If you would please leave the room, I’ll prepare the spell to give you magic. I will call you when it’s ready. Please try to calm down while you wait, powerful emotions will make the process more difficult and potentially painful for both of us.”

Kevin didn’t reply, but he walked past the Princess and closed the door behind him. He settled down on a comfortable cushion and closed his eyes, breathing deeply and thinking happy thoughts to try and calm his mind. He also set apart a small portion of his mind to dwell on the repartitions he would ask for Celestia’s manipulations.


An hour later, Kevin was roused from his light doze by Celestia’s voice.

“I’m ready, Kevin.”

Kevin stood, joints cracking like gunshots as he did. After walking over and opening the door, his jaw dropped. There was a visible aura of pure power in the room, and the silver circle pulsed with energy. Several small objects stood around the circle, but he couldn’t make out what they were through the haze.

“Sit in the circle, please.”

Kevin did as he was told, unnerved by the thickness of the air in the room.

“Stay still and stay silent. This may be frightening, but you will not be harmed.”

Celestia closed her eyes, and began to mutter words under her breath. Her horn lit up after several moments, and when it did Kevin could feel some invisible force slam the circle closed. Her voice rose as she continued to chant words, and eventually he could make out what she was saying.

“Dona ei potestatem, Dona ei potestatem...”

Kevin noticed something weird. As the Princess chanted, her voice seemed to thrum with power. He knew she was still speaking very quietly, but he could hear her plain as day. Unless he missed his guess, that voice would carry through walls as easily as it did air.

Celestia continued to chant for several minutes, voice steadily growing louder and her horn glowing more brightly. Kevin began to feel something leeching through his skin, and he resisted the urge to run. Eventually Celestia snapped her eyes open, and stared directly in to Kevin’s eyes. He flinched. The Princesses eyes were pure white, and they were glowing. It made him acutely aware of how dangerous she could be if she felt the need. Something seemed to pass between them, and Kevin felt a physical force wash over him. Celestia feel silent, the circle darkened, and the power in the room seemed to be sucked in to the small area and then in to him. It was an uncomfortable feeling, but not painful.

Celestia shook her head before speaking. “It is done. I need to rest a short while before I summon The Creator, but I can walk you through your new abilities as I do. Come with me.”

Celestia walked out the door, and Kevin rose to follow. As he did, he noticed he felt younger, and stronger. He was fairly certain he was weak, magically speaking, but he felt like a king compared to how he had a few minutes ago. Walking through the door, he turned to look for Celestia and found her sitting on the same cushion he had been on as he waited. The Princess smiled at him as he walked over to her.

“I imagine you must be feeling quite energized right now, Kevin. That is magic.” The Princess’s horn glowed, and a candle appeared on the table. “You’re older than most unicorns are when they first discover their magic, so it should come quickly to you. Your first task is to light this candle. To do so, simply focus on it and speak a phrase you connect with the act. I would recommend a language you don’t use or fully understand, it helps to avoid accidental castings and after effects from spells gone wrong.”

“That simple?” Kevin asked, incredulous. “No wand? No fancy movin’ about?”

“That simple. Simple doesn’t mean easy however, as you will learn. This is a small act of magic, so your lack of a foci will simply make the spell a tiny bit more wasteful.”

Kevin nodded, and stared at the candle. He racked his brain for a moment, and then smiled. He pointed a finger at the candle and said clearly “Flickum Bicus!”

Nothing happened. Kevin frowned, and tried again. Still nothing. He turned to the Princess, who looked as if she had expected this.

“Focus, Kevin. You don’t want it to happen badly enough.” Her tone was mocking.

Kevin felt his earlier anger start to surface, and glared daggers at the candle before saying the words again. The a small orb of brilliant white flame shot from his finger tip and ignited the wick, which burned a cheery red.

“Ha!” the human laughed, “don’t want it badly enough my ass!”

“My words angered you, did they not?” asked Celestia, and Kevin nodded. “That anger gave you the focus you needed. It also fuelled the spell, which is why the flame was hot enough to burn white.” Her horn lit for a moment, and the candle went out. “Again.”

Kevin smiled, stared at the candle, and tried again. A small spark this time, but no real flame. Thinking for a moment about what Celestia had said, he allowed frustration to rise in his chest before trying again.

“Flickum Bicus,” he muttered, and he was rewarded with a small orb of plain orange flame.

Celestia nodded, and put out the small candle a second time. “Again.”


Hours later, Celestia rose from her cushion. Kevin lowered his arm and wiped some sweat off his brow. Lighting a candle seemed so simple, but after lighting it hundreds of times he felt drained.

“Good work Kevin. I will ask Twilight Sparkle to instruct you further, as well as help you to build a foci. Now it’s time to summon The Creator. I must ask you to remain silent until he addresses you, or it could be perceived as a challenge. If that happens, control of the circle will be shifted to you, and you don’t yet have the force of will necessary to keep it closed with a being of his power inside. Should he be released, the results could be... disastrous.”

Kevin nodded, and followed the Princess back in to the small room with the silver circle on the floor. Celestia carefully removed the small objects from the ring before opening the small cut on her leg from Kevin’s razor and allowing a few drops of blood to hit the silver. The small amount of blood seemed to spread over the metal until all of the small engravings glistened bright red, and Celestia stepped back.

After a quick check to make sure the circle was clear of obstruction, the Princess murmured a name three times under her breath. Kevin couldn’t make it out, but he supposed that was the point. Almost instantly, there was a loud crack and a pony appeared in the circle. Much to Kevin’s surprise, it seemed no different from any other pony. He seemed to be an average sized white Earth Pony stallion. The only things that stood out were his odd white hair streaked with a pale blue, and an ouroboros symbol on his flank. The stallion opened his eyes and looked around before raising a hoof and pressing it toward the circle. A bright light appeared over the silver ring, and his hoof stopped cold. It was a small motion, but Celestia’s knees nearly buckled as he continued to press against the invisible wall holding him in.

Satisfied after a second or so, the stallion lowered his hoof and looked toward Celestia. “It’s been a while, Celly,” he said, and his voice nearly drove Kevin to his knees. It wasn’t loud, but it held a heavy and undeniable weight within it.

“Indeed it has,” Celestia replied, “and I suspect you know why I have called you.”

“Always straight to business with you, whatever happened to common courtesy and polite conversation?” the stallion asked. “You drag me here from my work and don’t even offer me a polite hello.” Again the voice seemed to drag Kevin down.

“If I try to be polite, you’ll mock me. You know that as well as I,” Celestia replied.

The stallion laughed loudly before he replied. “Of course I do, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy your hospitality. Of course, should I wish to leave you know you couldn’t stop me.” The stallion pressed his hoof against the circle again, this time leaving it there until Celestia fell to her knees. “See? Always remember that your power comes from me, Celly.”

Celestia stood wearily, sweat dripping from her brow. “What must I do in order to talk business with you, Creator?” she asked.

“Call your sister; I’ve missed her this past millennium. She never called me to the moon, for some reason.”

“I’ll make you a bargain,” replied Celestia, “we talk business now, I tell Luna to call you as soon as I return to Canterlot.”

“Swear it, and it is done.”

“I swear.”

The stallion smiled, revealing perfect white teeth. “Then, let us begin. You called me here because of the human I brought your world. You wish to know what the price is to return him back to his home. Trust me, you can’t afford it,” he said in a smug tone.

“Name it anyway,” Celestia demanded, and the stallion looked almost hurt.

“You don’t trust me? Shame on you. The price is your life, and your sisters.”

“Absolutely not!” Celestia sputtered, obviously offended by the idea.

“This is where I say ‘I told you so’ I believe,” the stallion replied, smirking now. “He, however, may make me a deal. May I address him?” he asked in mock politeness. Celestia nodded.

The Creator turned to Kevin, still smirking. “So, human, how are you enjoying your stay? Is Equestrian hospitality still as good as it once was?”

“My name isn’t human, it’s Kevin,” the human shot back.

“Of course, “the stallion said, “my apologies. Kevin Kieran.”

The Creator pronounced Kevin’s name precisely as Kevin did, and several things happened at once. First, a weight knocked Kevin to the floor. Then his breath stuck in his throat. Then a searing pain racked through Kevin’s body for a brief moment, before fading. Kevin found he could breathe again, and he shakily stood as he gasped for breath.

“Names have power, human. Perhaps I should call you mortal instead?” Kevin nodded, too afraid to speak. “Good. My deal is this: you live here until you understand why I brought you here. I will send you home then.”

Kevin narrowed his eyes. “You brought me here to amuse yourself, didn’t you?” he managed to stammer.

“Gracious no!” the stallion exclaimed, “although that is a wonderful side effect. Good right hook, by the way.”

Kevin turned to Celestia. “What do you think?” Celestia didn’t verbally reply, instead she shook her head. Kevin turned back to The Creator and said “No deal.”

The Creator shrugged. “So be it. Do you wish my name? We may renegotiate this deal at a later date if you desire.” Kevin nodded. “Vedavyasa,” The Creator said clearly, enunciating every syllable. “Say it thrice and I will come. I wouldn’t recommend trying to hold me in a circle; Celly can barely do so to any reasonable standard. You have my word I will not harm you.”

Celestia interjected from where she stood. “Do you give your word you will not harm any creature in my kingdom in any way?”

The Creator sighed, but he nodded. “If I must, but only if this particular mortal summons me. May I leave now?”

“No,” Celestia said firmly. “I’d like to know why he was sent here.”

The Creator raised both eyebrows. “What? You want me to explain that after offering a bargain with this mortal pertaining to that information? Do you think me a fool?”

“There is a difference between knowing and understanding. Also, I would note that he hasn’t accepted the bargain. Furthermore, I owe several favours to an enemy of yours. I would be inclined to forget that if you would explain.”

“Who?” The Creator asked, seemingly interested now.

“The Editor,” Celestia stated, a trace of triumph appearing in her voice.

The Creator hissed. “Done. I brought the mortal here because he has never had a fulfilling life. I can be altruistic at times, when the mood takes me.”

Celestia chuckled. “I doubt that is the entirety of your reason, but our business is done. I will tell Luna to summon you. You may leave.”

The Creator smiled, then disappeared with another echoing crack. Celestia turn to Kevin, her expression grave. “Well Kevin, I’d say you’re in a substantial amount of trouble now.”