• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 5,523 Views, 239 Comments

Common Ground - LunasCaptain



The tale of a Changeling ambassador to the Crystal Empire and the unlikely origin of her species.

  • ...
14
 239
 5,523

Epilogue

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza sat on one of the many balconies of the palace, a heavy blanket settled on her withers and a steaming cup of tea sitting between her forehooves. A light snow fell around her, too feathery to stick but still solid enough to put a slight chill in the air.

A team made up of official gardeners and volunteers worked and talked in low voices below her. They were repairing the delicate beds of crystal that Anomaly, Carapace, and Twilight had charged through. There were thick boots on their hooves to protect them from the razor-sharp shards, but they didn't seem bothered by the cold. Ponies of the Crystal Empire were generally used to the harsh northern winters of their country.

Her ears pricked at the sound of cautious hoofsteps behind her. She half-turned to see a slender, off-white mare hesitating in the doorway. A flicker of some unpleasant emotion rose in her, but she did her best to quell it.

"Come on." Cadance faced forward again. "I want to hear what you have to say."

The mare hesitantly came up beside her, and sat. There were several small braids in her teal mane and tail, and her eyes were a pale blue. She had no cutie mark, and there was a scroll in her mouth. She gently set it down before meeting Cadance's violet gaze our of the corner of her eye.

"Did Twilight get our letter?" she asked quietly.

"Yes. She wouldn't tell me what was in it, only that you asked her to come to your hive. She went back to Equestria to discuss it with Celestia."

"Anomaly helped me write it," Carapace muttered. "He knows more about it than I do."

Cadance remained silent, and she continued.

"He says that Twilight is one of the last of her kind. An ancient race. We were bound to them in the old days, because they were different from normal ponies. Their magic, their emotions, and the bonds that they formed were stronger. They were companions to us as we traveled and learned, and they had the ability to strip us of our disguises if we got out of hoof. Normal ponies can only do that once."

"So you want her to help you."

"It wasn't my idea." Annoyance flickered across her face. "It wasn't my idea to leave the Changeling throne empty, either, but here we are."

Cadance didn't smile. "How long do you plan on staying in the city?"

"I'm going home as soon as I finish this." Carapace nudged the scroll in front of her, and followed it. She opened it and looked up, her expression blank.

"Mi Amore Cadenza," she began. "Princess of the Crystal Empire. Ruler of Ice, Guardian of Crystal, Regent of Love. I come to you as Carapace of the Changeling Nation, ambassador to your country, and ask that you ally with my people. Against the threat of those ponies who wish us harm, against the threat of the Qu--Chrysalis, and against the threat of any new enemies who may arise."

Cadance looked down at the scroll. There was a place for her to sign her name. A quill, already loaded with ink, had been rolled up in the parchment. A cloud of pale blue magic surrounded it and lifted it into the air.

"I accept," she replied, signing the document with a flourish.

Comments ( 26 )

:ajsmug: Hope everything works out.

I feel compelled to ask you to consider the possibility of a sequel, if you haven't already...

2080669
I'm thinking about it. I want to, but right now, I don't even have an idea for one.

2080677 Understood boss. If you ever need a helping hoof, I'm available whenever I'm awake, which is almost always...

2080677

So... Changelings can eventually evolve into Alicorns. Celestia/Luna/Cadence may well have come from Changeling stock back in antiquity?

Twilight, is some sort of mysterious sub-breed of pony that have some sort of mystical connection to changelings, allowing them to strip changelings of their disguise?

First part is brought in rather abruptly and given, unfortunately, a fairly poor reasoning. The second part is rather dropped in, and really needs to be expounded upon. Was this part added in light of Alicorn Twilight canon?

So much potential, it feels to raw to end it now. I feel a sequel coming on!

Only thing that bothers me is you refer to the Crystal Empire as a kingdom; far as I see it's Cadence's, so I think referring to it as a Queendom isn't wrong. Other than that, it seems pretty good so far! (only read one chap., rest is in queue) hopefully this fic'll turn out alright. Cheers! :twilightsmile:

2080736
I agree, both of them need work. But the latter was actually planned out before I learned about Alicorn Twilight.

Still not read the full thing yet, enjoying it so far. One thing though is that Scottish accent.
:facehoof: Need a hand with it?

Eh, the story was mostly good, but this ending... it's way too abrupt to let it pass, a lot of interesting characters were dropped and pretty much forgotten with no resolution for their parts of the story, and there are too many questions left for this to be called an ending. So... I enjoyed it until this, but this is way too much of a letdown. Out of ten (average = five)... three. Could've been a seven, maybe an eight, if you wrapped everything up, but for now... I hate to do this because the rest of the story was going so well! -but... thumbs down. I know you could do way, way better than this, and I hope you seriously consider fixing this.

The ending was kind of let down.

2081221
I understand where you're coming from. I had doubts about the ending myself, but I didn't have any alternate ideas at the time. Do you have any specific suggestions to improve it?

2081341
Yeah, a lot of people have been saying that. I think I'm going to change it.

2081351
First, going around between all the characters with a rundown of what's happened to them since they last appeared in the story would go a long way in the right direction of creating a sense of everything having been pulled together in a nice, complete package. What this would actually entail... I don't know! It's your story and your characters; you know them best. Also, you might go into a little more detail about what the effects of this alliance (or whatever) with Changelings are. I mean, you ask the question "And how will Cadence's people react to learning that their rulers are harboring a Changeling?" right there, but that never happens!--or at least it's not shown as promised.

2081430
Those are good suggestions. Thank you. As for that particular question...that would be the result of writing the summary before the story was completely planned out. I'll do my best to write a better ending.

2081467
Wonderful! I look forward to reading it and changing my rating of the story appropriately... -in the positive direction!

And I wouldn't worry about the second issue so much, then. I myself am guilty of changing the description and even the tags mid-story. I was glad, though, that there wasn't even a vocal minority who were too upset at such changes, so, like I said, no worries.

Wait, where did Shining Armor go?

He was with Princesses and Twilight before Carapace bounced, but was no where to be found during the confrontation with the Queen.

Changeling throne empty :rainbowhuh: ? That's the only thing that lost me, and the vagueness of the ending, but to me it screams SEQUEL!! :eeyup:
I see what Zephyrus Scary was trying to say LC, but for my I still loved it. Though I think Carapce should assume the throne propperly, even guiding them into the Crystal Kingdon in light of the alliance.
Other than that, it was great. I might come up with more to say at a more seemly hour, until then. Excelent work. :pinkiehappy:
Here have some happy :pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy: :pinkiehappy:
I appologise for that, that's how tired I am.
Honora Imperator :twilightblush:

1517223 If you want a idea for a sequel here is one: Since Chrysalis escaped, there are two factions of changelings, ones who pledged their loyalty to Carapace (I'll let you come up with the name), and the ones still loyal to Chrysalis (dubbed "The Renegades").

It's a suggestion.

Good story but the ending felt weird, not only does the changelings becoming alicorns thing seem odd but having Chrysalis alone with her one other thinking changeling, facing down 3 "renegades", 3 princesses, Twilight, and the crystal empire army, seems a bit strange.

What I was hoping would happen with the ending is that the 3 renegades would encounter Chrysalis, and then end up being chased by her or something then when they run into the princesses, they feel pity or something coming from Celestia instead of the hate everyone else gives out and one of them asks for asylum from Chrysalis. You could even use that to close up the plot weirdness in the royal wedding with Chrysalis beating Celestia, you could say that Celestia was holding herself back since she remembered what the changelings used to be so she didn't want to kill Chrysalis. Maybe instead of them being early forms of alicorns have them be an early civilization that Celestia remembers, maybe having been destroyed by Discord or something way back.

I'm gonna have to come back to this for my review, but well done anyways

4416389 Could be that celestia doesn't let the news spread

Just finished reading this, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it! I can see why this is an AU fic with Unicorn Twilight! Kinda diverges from Season 3 just a little bit ;).

I like the detail you went into the lore, the world building of the Crystal Empire as a melting pot for various pony races, and the character development for all involved! I should note that, in future, if you want to use Gender Neutral characters, you can use singular "They" as opposed to "it", though I can see how "it" would fit a changeling that lacks personhood. Gender is a spectrum, which isn't commonly understood, so a Changeling COULD still remain gender fluid even when they settled into a pony form. You can also use pronouns such as "Xi"or "Xir" if extra clarity is needed.

I felt the pacing was a bit rushed towards the end, as well as Twilight jumping to conclusions after a snippit of Carapace's conversation. But I can understand why these were done, for the sake of a climax. You have done a fantastic job creating an enthralling world, so I'd love to chat to you more and perhaps share ideas :).

Not bad, and a fun read.

The end is a bit.......odd but its a fan fiction, you cant have perfection.

As for the complaints that characters are acting out of character, we really don't know what happened to Cadence during her incarceration. It could have been as bad as sitting on the sofa and eating bon-bons, or it could have been a stressful and PTSD inducing nightmare scenario.

I generally give Authors a lot of leeway on character behavior because if everyone ALWAYS acts the way you would expect them to, you cutting off your own leg when it comes to options, plot lines, creativity, and character growth.

My two cents.

The Monk
“Not telling you too much about humanity's special power, but I can give you a big hint! It is pure, concentrated spite.” -Knight Breeze

Login or register to comment