• Published 3rd Dec 2019
  • 3,267 Views, 153 Comments

Fraternal - Melody Song



Daring Do and Rainbow Dash find out why they look so similar.

  • ...
5
 153
 3,267

Our Choice

Daring and Rainbow looked at each other, then back at their father and stepmother.

"I think we still need some time to take it all in." Daring said.

"I understand." Bow looked between his daughters sadly.

"Come on Rainbow, we should head back." Daring said, turning away from them and pulling on her cloak.

"Okay..."

Rainbow followed her, but then stopped. She turned back to them.

"But um...who's the older twin?"

Daring pricked her ears, eager to hear it as well. Of course, Rainbow was probably right, Daring was far too bossy to not be the older sibling.

"Well..." Bow smiled. He glanced at Windy, who grinned.

"You are Rainbow. Your mother used to laugh and laugh over the fact that Daring acted like the older, wiser twin. Even when you were babies Daring seemed to take charge of any mischief you got yourselves into."

"I guess I was wrong. Not the first time." Rainbow shrugged. Daring laughed softly before pulling up her hood and leading Rainbow out of the room.


"What now Daring?" Rainbow asked as they flew off.

"We go home Rainbow."

"Home...?"

"You to yours, me to mine." Daring explained. Rainbow bit her lip.

"But...I want to get to know my sister." Rainbow whimpered.

Daring stopped and pulled Rainbow by her hoof so they hovered in midair. Daring smiled softly at Rainbow.

"Rainbow, you already know me. I'll be with you, and you'll be with me. We're connected, by more than just blood."

"The sphere?" Rainbow asked, to be sure.

"Yeah. Anytime you need me, just use our...twintuition." Daring said, cracking a smile.

"Same to you."

Rainbow threw her hooves around Daring in a hug, and Daring hugged back immediately. The two embraced each other as sisters, then let go. Daring and Rainbow smiled at each other.

"It's a straight shot to my home from here."

"What about the sphere?"

"You helped me so much to find it. And as my sister, it's time you had the chance to turn an object over to a museum."

"Thank you." Rainbow smiled

"No problem. Princess Twilight should be able to help you if you have any questions."

"Yeah..."

"What's wrong?"

"I guess this is goodbye." Rainbow sighed.

"My uncle taught me, that we don't say goodbye." Daring said.

"What do you say?" Rainbow asked.

"We say: donec iterum. It means: until next time." Daring smiled. "It's the only phrase in Old Ponish that I know."

Rainbow laughed, then Daring hugged her once more, then turned. She flew off, turning to wave once more. Rainbow waved back, letting a tear fall.

"Donec iterum, sister."


Rainbow fell onto her couch with a sigh, and a groan came from the stallion next to her.

"Dashie I know you're excited but you nearly sat on me." Soarin whined, and Rainbow shifted, laughing.

"Sorry Soarie, I just can't wait to open it!" Rainbow held a paper-covered package in her front hooves.

"Then what are you waiting for? Open it!" Fleetfoot took a seat next to Soarin, Spitfire beside her.

"Yeah, now where were we?" Spitfire asked, gazing at the package.

"Well, you two were sitting over there, and it was a lot less squished." Soarin said dryly.

"Can it, Pie Boy." Spitfire shot back, as Fleetfoot leaned over him.

"Fleet!" Soarin yelped.

"What? I'm gay."

"But I'm not! Get off!" Soarin pushed Fleetfoot so she slipped from where she was perched on his lap. Spitfire glared at Soarin, who gulped and shrank into Rainbow for protection.

"Soarin!"

"W-well, what about Fleetfoot? Don't you care about your marefriend?" Soarin asked, and Spitfire turned red.

"She's not my marefriend!"

"Then why are you blushing?"

"U-uh...n-no homo?" Spitfire stammered.

"All three of you quit it!" Rainbow, waved her wing for silence and her magic from the sphere made it glow blue temporarily.

The group of friends fell silent and watched quietly. Rainbow ripped off the paper and gazed down at the book. The cover read:

Daring Do and the Scroll of Genealogy

The cover showed a long scroll of paper winding from the top to the bottom. Daring's magenta eyes were faded as though they were looking through the scroll at them. Another pair, slightly off-centered from Daring's, also gazed out at the reader. There was the barest shadow of a rainbow tint to a grayscale rainbow that looped over the title.

"Wow." Spitfire breathed.

"Scroll of Genealogy?" Soarin asked.

Rainbow flipped open the book to the first few pages and scanned it.

"Guys, look." Rainbow then read it aloud. "Rain Bolt spun on her hooves, coming face to face with Daring Do. She gave her a signature cocky grin and hugged her longtime friend..." Rainbow looked up at them.

"She revealed you...without revealing you? My head hurtth jutht thinking about it." Fleetfoot murmured.

"I'll have to thank her. After all, she was brave just to put this out."

"That was really nice of her." Spitfire said.

"Yeah."

"Have you two decided what you're going to tell your parents?" Soarin asked.

"Daring mentioned in her last letter that she knows avoiding them won't help. We've been thinking about trying to build up the trust they lost."

"Sounds reasonable." Spitfire remarked.

"Still, I wish it wasn't even necessary. You know, that they hadn't given Daring up in the first place." Rainbow said, as Fleetfoot took the book, and noticed something.

"Guyth, look in the acknowledgementth."

The other three stopped talking and looked over to where Fleetfoot had the book open. Rainbow took it from her and read the page.

To the one pony who never stopped believing in me and stuck by my side. She is a true sister and friend. This book is dedicated to the fastest Pegasus in Equestria, my spirit sister: Rainbow Dash.

"Spirit sister?" Spitfire asked.

"Somepony who is like your sister though they aren't related to you. I bet Daring is trying to stop ponies from connecting the dots between your name and the name she wrote in the story." Soarin said, putting his forelegs around Rainbow's body and laying his head on her shoulder.

"Yeah." Rainbow smiled, blushing slightly. "But nopony will anyway."

"Why not?" Spitfire asked.

"Because she didn't use my real name, and she knows it."

"How does she know? Also, Rainbow Dash isn't your real name?" Soarin asked, surprised.

"She knows because she mentioned that she looked up my address to find where I lived. That means she would have found out about my name, because my house is listed under my real name." Rainbow explained.

"So then what's your real name?" Spitfire asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, it's really just my full name."

"Rainbow Dash isn't your full name?" Soarin asked.

"Nope. It's a shortened version my...'mom' came up with for me."

"Tho what ith it?!" Fleetfoot demanded. Rainbow grinned.

"It's...."

Author's Note:

Hah! Yes, I came up with a full name for Rainbow, but this isn't the fanfiction you'll find it in. If you want to find it, keep tabs on my other story, Behind the Flight Goggles, it can be considered a sequel, but it's not officially.

~Melody Song

Edit: This is probably the last time this story will be featured. I'm not sure how I feel about that, considering this is the only one of my stories to ever be featured. Oh well. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 47 )

Didn't she say in the series it was Rainbow Daring Dash? :rainbowhuh:

10111987
Didn't she also say her name was "Rainbow Professionalism Dash" and "Rainbow Awesome Dash"? I'm considering them as her trying to convince others she's one thing when she's not by subbing a word in for her middle name.

But Daring is a lot older than Dash... a LOT older.

Ugh!!! Seriously?! You had me on the ropes with Rainbow about to reveal her real name! What fix are we going to find that out?!

Also, this story was fantastic.

10112038
How do you know that?

10112046
Thanks. And like I said in the Author's Note, there's a semi-sequel I wrote called Behind the Flight Goggles that may include Dash's real name.

10112060
Kind of a dickish move there

10112331
I'm sorry, I'm evil.

10112343
Thank you. I love your stories too!

Cliff Hangers. They make ya wanna read more and make ya hate the author because they make you have to wait.

10112489
I'm sorry, I just want to reveal it at exactly the right moment because I know people are gonna love it.

10112059 The books began when Twilight was young, therefore Daring must have begun her adventures when the Mane 6 were just fillies, meaning she'd quite a bit older than they are. Plus, after having the first adventures, she'd then need to write about them and get them published. So, we're looking at a 15-year age difference at least.

Buuuut, it hardly matters for the story here, since the show kinda crapped on its own canon with... almost everything by the end.

I was just noting that, at least when Daring was first brought up when Dash was hospitalized, Twilight noted she was a fan of the books starting when she was a filly. So at that point in the show, Daring must have been much older (AK. Yearling, actually, as at that time there were also no plans to make Daring anything more than a fiction-within-fiction).

Unless... unless RAINBOW DASH IS ALSO FICTION AND CAME OUT OF THE BOOKS WHEN THEY WERE THROWN INTO THE MIRROR POOL BECAUSE REASONS... and random magical side effects because... uhm… that particular copy of the book also got hit with the same curse as the Power Ponies comic. Yeah, that works. :pinkiecrazy:

10112578
I stated in the story that Daring was only a young filly when she started writing and having adventures. I also *cough* forgot *cough* Twilight started reading them as a filly. Although, it never said when in her foalhood she began reading them. You could also argue that Rainbow and Daring are older than Twilight so Daring was still a filly going on adventures while Twilight was young.

10112038
Maturity, I am certain.

"Because she didn't use my real name, and she knows it."

Real name... or full name?

10112698
Good catch, technically it's both. Her real name is her full name.

If it's not Rainbow Miriam Dash I'll be disappointed :rainbowwild:

10112747
It's not but it's just as "uncool".

10112606 Actually, no you can't argue that. We saw how old The Mane 6 all were in the Cutie Mark backstory when Dash did the first Sonic Rainboom. They were clearly all within a few years of each other.

But, like I said, doesn't matter anymore cuz the show's continuity was a mess in the latter seasons.

10113093
True. But like I said, Daring in my books was a filly when she started, seeing as how she seems the same age as Rainbow based on average height of Pegsus mares (if we look at Fluttershy, Cloud Chaser, etc.)

If Dash thinks of her mom as not her mom then she's an idiot. Your mom is the person who raises you not the one who gives birth to you.

10113225
True but she did help keep a secret from both of them for 21 years. I'm not saying she doesn't think of her that way, just that they have no idea how to take all this information.

I loved this story. Thank you

This is a great story! Congrats!

10112747
Rainbow Miriam Danger Responsability Dash

First name i thought about rainbow danger dash

From reading that it was featured on my birthday is awesome holy crap

10247868
Oh, well, happy belated birthday then! :twilightsmile:

"You are Rainbow. Your mother used to laugh and laugh over the fact that Daring acted like the older, wiser twin. Even when you were babies Daring seemed to take charge of any mischief you got yourselves into."

Hah, this is almost identical to my friends. They’re fraternal twins and the younger acts much more mature than the older.

10357992
They're great. I found them at Barnes and Noble but I don't know if they still carry them.

EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! When’s the next chapter? I love it so far!

10728970
Um, this story is complete, there is no next chapter

10729142
Sorry. I’m used to doing that for ongoing stories. I didn’t mean to! Just a habit.

10729235
It's fine! Glad you enjoyed the story!

10729238
Thanks. Awesome work too.

10729239
No problem, and thanks, glad you liked it

This was a really fun read, I enjoyed myself. It didn't feel fully polished, like maybe you could have added a few more descriptive details on locations and such, but nothing ground breaking.

*sigh* but I will have to mention this; I feel sorry for Fleetfoot and Spitfire, those feelings aren't something to be celebrated. Plus, the fact that you have included this and make it clear that you are okay with it means that I might not be reading any more of you're stories. I'm sure they're good, after all, this one was, but I won't be able to read that in good conscience.
I hope I didn't offend anyone, though it's bound to happen with what I just said, I just didn't want to be quiet about my feelings on this. Other than that, this really was a fun story, and you did a good job explaining their similarities and how they were separated.

I hope you stay safe, and have a blessed day!

10803295
I'm not sure what you mean by celebrated, but it's been quite a while since I wrote this. My writing style has changed very much since writing this, and I handle things like grief and painful backstories very differently now, in a more serious manner.

If you'd prefer to compare it to one of my more developed stories I have a few alone similar lines, such as Patrilineality or Pride and Joy

10803309
Mainly, I don't want to read stories with characters of the same gender being romantically interested or involved with each other, as I believe that such relationships are sinful. Because you have included such a relationship in this story, it makes me wary of your other stories, and consequently I don't know if I can read them in good conscience. I hope you don't mind too much.

10804302
Oh

Well, that's your opinion, and I will respect it

10804302
i had no idea how limp your soft little dong is, you homophobic freak.

Great story. Many rereads! :twilightsmile:

10804302
"all were created equal" bible quote

Rainbow Daring Dash...sounds awesome !!!!

It brings up the question of Darings' connection to Ditsy Do ????

Login or register to comment