T
Source

This story is a sequel to 80 Days 'Til the World's Farthest Shore


Twilight Sparkle, the prodigal princess, has finally returned home from her extraplanar Sabbatical. At her side is a new apprentice, one newly minted Passport from a world very different from Twilight's own. Where once the Princess of Friendship sought to leave Equestria behind forever, now she seeks to return and see those she loved and left behind.

But the journey from the edges of the World That Is to Canterlot is perilous, full of horrors and dangers alien both to Equestria and Passport's own world. But with luck, and her teacher and employer's power, Passport might just survive the experience of being a pony long enough to meet the one pony on Equestria more important to her than any other.


Celestia.

Chapters (3)
Comments ( 60 )
PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

oh boy oh boy oh boy :D

Oh snap! Been hoping for a continuation of this tale! :raritystarry:

Tumblr is being really difficult about letting me follow your source link. Can you give another source for that most excellent cover art?

9856086
Continuation? Where's the rest of it? I don't see a link.

9856086
where is the part before this?

Comment posted by Cold in Gardez deleted Sep 28th, 2019

Oh boy, I thought the title seemed familiar :raritystarry:

Hell yea from me on this one, let's go!

9856095
Yeah I’ll grab another when I’m home.

9856189
9856140
Oh sweet I remember that one now. Gonna have to re-read it, thanks for the response.

Dont have time to read this right now but im putting this into my favorites already. There is no way that im not going to love this.

Oh hey, I know this art!

Whelp....I am interested and looking forward to reading more.

9856297
Ducky ink, attending the premiere of her newest movie, colorized 2019

Two wrong word errors in the second paragraph. Really throw off the impact. Though the second one could be intentional after thinking about it.

times, and participated as “Princess Twilight Sparkle” ... The small and harmless lie of photographic talent makes me happy,

Other than that.
HOLY SMOKES I was not expecting a sequel to Farthest Shore. I’m so stoked!

“July Fern?” I asked, my ears perking on their own.

Jules Vern?

In both stories I’ve been reading Sophie’s voice in a demure Victorian style.

From "80 days", Passport just want travel with Twilight as friend. Why she want meet with Celestia?

Just by this first chapter, I can tell it's going to be good.

(Well, that, and it's a Cynewulf story. :raritywink:)

It sounds like this Sarnath could use some Doom to come to it.

JMP

I hadn't quite remembered "80 Days" beyond the title and cover art, but having reread it before coming here...I very much enjoy this continuation. Although, in a way, it's a prequel. As Passport was already back in her home world as Sophie and telling her tale after spending years with Twilight.

Luna, dear, you need to come back and finish your work. :rainbowlaugh:

I am super hyped to finally dig into this, but let me also praise the voicing here, which really adds so much with its quasi-Victorian feel. :pinkiehappy:

I know that it is foolish to say so, but I swear to you that Sarnath is nothing more than a realm of corridors, long and forboding, lit strangely, cold and discomforting. They lead into each other, confusing in their alienation.

A maze of twisty passages, all alike. It is dark there. You are likely to be enslaved by a grue.

In any case, wonderful to see the sequel to one of my absolute favorite stories on the site. And with me, you immediately get points with the Blind Eternities. (Thankfully, the two bookhorses didn't encounter any natives in their brief time therein.) Eagerly looking forward to more.

Also, sorry for the double-shelving. My finger slipped.

To drink it would be to taste the universe, though I confess I do not know what that means.

It's called 'Light Wine', and if you drink it you turn into a Mushi. :raritywink:

Sooooo... they ARE vamponies. Well, only one way to deal with that!

*detonates a silver and holy water bomb in the middle of the city*

Heavy dream cycle vibes at points here

9856178 A brilliant read so far captavateing, descriptive, and importantly well paced. Excellent work if I may say so!

“The batponies of Sarnath have had an empire built on slaves longer than your city has existed,” she said flatly. “Princess Luna, before she was a princess, freed thousands when she drove out the vampire lords. But old habits die hard.” The smile she gave was not kind. “And as much as I would like to clear the place…”

Now I want to read that story.

This was some beautiful imagery. Do you have any stories about the deep history you allude to?

9864450
Sarnath and the Western batponies' history is in the background of several fics. It's in Night is Passing, Redeem Us In Our Solemn Hour that I can think of right away.

I love the mounting sense of horror.

The Verne comparison/homage is well taken; before I reached that part of the chapter I probably would have said Dunsany, but that's influenced pretty heavily by Riverdream at Sunset, which this chapter reminds me of in all the best ways.

I wasn't expecting this story to be another travelogue, and three chapters in, I am completely down for it.

9864819
I only wish I could have worked that reference into the original.

Well... this could go any number of places....:twilightoops:

Nice to see a continuation of this story... though I suppose this is before the framing story of the previous story. During the journey through the swamp lands, I thought it was a neat detail how Twilight knew there was a refuge there but she wasn't able to find it; it really adds to the mythical and historical quality of the region. Interesting how this story seems to be focusing more on particular characters that they're meeting.

Wow, this is incredible. Can't wait for the next chapter.

I could see no sun, and yet there was plenty of light. The Farthest Shore is held forever at the moment when the afternoon is at its quietest, slowest point.

This needs to be turned into an ARK map.

I know that it is foolish to say so, but I swear to you that Sarnath is nothing more than a realm of corridors, long and forboding, lit strangely, cold and discomforting. They lead into each other, confusing in their alienation.

I would say that this is what I always imagine the Doctor sees, most of the time - much like everything else, but different... alien, perhaps.

Because in the end, we're not under threat from the incomprehensible - it's the Uncanny Valley that gets us... You're lulled into a false sense of security, of familiarity, and the world is pulled out from under you the second you forget that this place is not that whence you came.


Also, a wonderful answer to "How could architecture of all things feel oppressive?" ;)

Login or register to comment