• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 5,809 Views, 470 Comments

Faux Pas of the Heart - Jet Howitzer



You've been trading letters with a certain fashion pony, and you'll finally get to meet her.

  • ...
16
 470
 5,809

Epilogue I: Cognition

Silence.

Darkness.

An infinite expanse of blackness.

But then... A single spark of light. A single, tiny, insignificant blue spark of light twinkled into existence, a heavenly sound accompanying it’s arrival. You wanted to run to it, but without a frame of reference, you had no way of knowing how far it was. Just as you were about to throw your caution to the wind, a thousand other green lights came into existence, flaring brightly, and drowning out the blue light, wiping its existence from your mind.

Tens of thousands of voices cried out within your mind. All of them reaching an auditory apex at a different moment, the sound seeming to rise and fall with each passing heartbeat. You were... alive. Barely.

Out of the cacophony came a single voice. An eerily familiar sound, one that echoed through your mind, sending reverberations through your frame. The words were incomprehensible, but the sound was still there. It was a single, beautiful, note of bliss. A wordless sound that drew away from the thousands of other voices and drew you towards it just as much. As the sound grew clearer, you felt an immense energy pour into your frame, filling you with vigor that you hadn’t known in your entire life. Even while in the hive you hadn’t felt quite this powerful.

But still the other voices were there, growing louder and brighter in an attempt to drown out the blue light. And then the green lights began to flash brightly, and disappear. Each flash sent a pang of pain through you. They left the beauty of the blue light more noticeable, but somehow each disappearing green light left you feeling emptier. As consciousness tugged at your slow mind the disappearing green lights began to fade faster and faster, allowing the blue light to grow more noticeable.


A shuddering gasp sounded past your lips as you opened your eyes, and the first thing you saw was Rarity, her own eyes closed and her face just inches from your own. Her makeup was streaked from her tears, and her mane was a disheveled mess. Still beautiful, but Rarity would call it a disaster. Your body felt weak. Almost as weak as it had near the end of your recollection of events.

As you closed your eyes once again, you concentrated your power in your horn, casting a simple spell that would refresh the small timer that had told you how long you had left to go. With the smallest of chuckles you noted that it had technically hit zero. A hundredth of a second was all it had left, and even that seemed to waver from one to zero every so often. Your slowly brought a trembling hoof to Rarity’s cheek, gently caressing her, hoping that she would stir.

Her eyes fluttered open at your touch, small tears emerging as she looked into your own eyes. Neither of you spoke for several long minutes. As you opened your mouth to speak Rarity moved her own closer to yours, locking her lips against yours in a powerful kiss. When she finally broke the kiss, since you wouldn’t, she had a smile on her face, her tears still flowing.

“Rarity...” You paused for a moment, enjoying her slight reaction to your utterance of her name. “You really need to do something with your mane...” Her smile vanished for a moment, but then it came back, stronger than before.

“For you, Catalyst, I’d dye it green.” You put a hoof to her cheek once again, and she just leaned into it, sighing softly. “But I’d shave it off a day later.”


Two hours later, and you finally emerged from Rarity’s home. You were still shaky on your hooves, the drop in your magical reserves having taken a far larger toll than you had expected. Still, you were out of the house, and Rarity was right beside you, enjoying your presence as you enjoyed hers. None of the townsponies ran when they saw you, so you could only assume that they’d either been told of your presence in town, the likely solution, or they’d become immune to fear, which, frankly, was a long shot.

Rarity was leading you through the town, her destination a mystery to you. Not that you had a problem with that. You’d follow her to the ends of the Equestria, and beyond. The ends of Equestria weren’t your destination, though, and you were instead brought before the library. Rarity led you inside, and as she called out to Twilight you could hear a sharp gasp come from not one, but several different ponies.

Dash was the first to emerge from the kitchen, and you were surprised to see not anger in her eyes, but relief. Storm was next, and he just gave you a small nod before he made room for the next pony to come out. Twilight and Ace came out at the same time, both of them with smiles on their faces.

Applejack, Big Mac, and Taupe were the last to emerge from the kitchen, and Big Mac’s eyes narrowed when he looked at you. He took a step towards you, and you took a step forward as well. “I found you, Catalyst. In the barn.” He looked down at you, his face an unreadable mask. “I could’ve done you in right there. It would’ve been easy, too. And it would’ve saved quite a bit of trouble and heartache.” His gaze shifted from you to Rarity, and then back to you. “I’m still not sure I made the right choice, so do us both a favor, and convince me that I was right.”

After Big Mac’s brief speech you, Rarity, and the others all enjoyed a simple meal together, the breakfast seeming to last well into the day. The initial discomfort caused by your presence faded quickly, and before you knew it they were treating you like any other pony, acting like what you were didn’t even matter to them. Throughout the meal you could feel waves of love coming from Rarity, and more than a few times you stopped what you were doing to look at the mare beside you, reveling in her beauty and grace.

She didn’t look at you any of the times that you looked at her, but you knew that she saw you looking. Every time you looked her smile grew just a bit, adding even more to her beauty. When the meal finally ended, you and Rarity were the first to leave. Rather than return to the boutique, though, you both walked through the town, the sounds of activity throughout the town acting as a pleasant music to which you walked.

After a while the two of you stopped your walk in the park, choosing a bench to sit on. A sigh escaped the mare as she relaxed into you on the bench, one of her hooves gently rubbing small circles on your leg. You allowed yourself to drape a hoof over her back, and she just pulled herself a bit closer in response.

“This isn’t very lady-like, Rarity.”

“I know. And I don’t care. Does it bother you?”

“No, but-”

“But nothing. Your opinion matters more than anypony else’s.”

“Why did you...” You found that you couldn’t complete the question, but her answer showed that she knew what you wanted to ask.

“Because I wasn’t going to let the way you look stand between me and you. Those letters that you sent were honest, and I fell in love with the pony who sent them. When I found out the truth, though, I was afraid. I was afraid that I was just another target for you. Just another meal. And then, with everything you did, I saw the truth, laid bare, in your story. You went through so much, just to have me throw it back at you because I was being closed-minded.”

“But it wasn’t for you. It was for me. I was being selfish the whole time. I wanted a companion, and so I found one in you. You gave me the love that I needed to survive. Even when I started trying to woo you, I was doing it for me, not for us.”

“Catalyst, every relationship starts out a bit selfish. We go into it looking for something for ourselves. It’s not until you realize how it feels that you’ll start doing things for them, rather than yourself.”

You give the mare a quick kiss as she finishes, and a blush surged to her cheeks. “Don’t ever change, Rarity. At least one of us needs to keep a level head.”

“For you, Catalyst, I won’t change a thing. Now, how about we head home, and get some proper sleep. That tiny bit I got, and your bout of unconsciousness isn’t quite enough.”


As you approached the boutique, ready to finally get some proper sleep, and do some... other stuff, you were surprised to see three ponies standing at the door, all of them looking at you. When you stopped, a few body lengths away, they all bowed before you, lowering their heads nearly to the ground. You took a half step back from them, looking to Rarity to see how she was reacting. She had only narrowed her eyes, looking at the three ponies as the prostrated themselves before you.

Three flashes of green light signaled their useage for magic, and then, where once stood two pegasi and a unicorn, now stood three changelings. One of them, the one that was a unicorn moments ago, looked up at you, a look bordering on reverence on her face. “King. We have found you.”

Rarity gently nudged your side, and you swallowed quickly before looking down at the drones. “Rise. There is much we must speak of, and there are many changes to be made.” They all rose from their positions, and they looked at you, eagerly waiting for a command. You pointed to the door, and they all marched inside, no questions asked.

“What are you going to do with them?”

A soft chuckle escaped you as you looked at Rarity. “I’m going to be a catalyst for them. I proved that Changelings can change. And so I’ll do what I can to help these three change.” You turned away from Rarity, looking at the boutique. “I did it, so can they.”

Rarity gave your cheek a quick peck, and you turned to look at her. “It seems that you will get your chance to be the king of a people...”

Author's Note:

Well... It certainly took me some time to put this up. But, it's here now. And with that, I think that I've wrapped things up fairly well for good old Catalyst. Maybe more to come for him, but I doubt it.

Comments ( 20 )

It's a highly satisfactory conclusion, whether or not it's The End.

Jet,as always, you have written an exceptional piece of art. I loved it, made my day a hell of a lot better man!

I really like this end, it's what I expected to happen (to some degree) and the fact that Dreams of a Blue Pegasus Filly was playing while I read it added some nice ambience, too
can't wait for the next instalment, but first I have some chapters of Fireflies to read

Looks like Catalyst has some kingly duties in his future after all. If there's four of them at this point, there could easily be more than that hanging around in hiding.

About time this story got updated, hmm:duck: can changeling breed with ponies? Cause if they can't then this kingdom will still be a short one.

Hey, there's that epilogue you hinted at a while back! Nicely done, Jet. This was a very well crafted conclusion, and a much needed one at that.

Well played, my friend, well played.

I guess that explains the coma/dream section. And the Changelings be able to change? Well yeah, they are Changelings!!:trollestia::trollestia::trollestia:

I still prefer Taupe, but I... I like this story much better. You're improving, Jet. Congratulations!

"“Catalyst, every relationship starts out a bit selfish. We go into it looking for something for ourselves. It’s not until you realize how it feels that you’ll start doing things for them, rather than yourself.”"

insightful quote is....insightful.

2110804 I try. Although that one kind of came out by accident. I didn't even realize what I had said until after I posted the chapter.

I love the stories ;) keep at them. Other than the grammatical errors that every story has they were amazing. You'll have a bitter sweet feeling knowing that I'm posting this at 3am after finishing the twilight and rarity stories. Ahhh the life of an addictive reader D: I dread waking up in the morning.
One final thought before I give myself up to sleep. I don't know if your looking for a name for your wonderful series but this happened to cross my mind and I felt compelled to post it.
Romance With Harmony
Anyways good luck with the writing.
Good wishes ;)

2176659 Glad you like it. The next story, once I finally get enough plot thought out in my head, is going to be Fluttershy's. You can find a link to it on my user page, so you can fave it and know when it gets updated. Dunno why, but that name just doesn't quite seem right to me... It's just... I dunno. I want the name to be just right, and that isn't it. I appreciate the effort, though.

No problem, didnt expect anything to come out just like that *snaps fingers* anyways thanks for taking the time to reply XD. hmmm fluttershy, that brings some funny situations to mind, wonder what her dream stallion will get himself into heh heh.
Happy writing, and best wishes.
Cause hey, if you get ideas and an awesome work enviroment, i get more stories to read. Its a win win!

2178455 yay i figured out how to "reply" to someone. Anyways ive eaten through all your stories including vinyl scratch's (sorry the name escapes me :p) few things just wanted maybe say (type?)
1. These are first first comments so its obvious that I wouldn't know how to do shit
2. I don't use the ponycons (emoticons) because I'm simply too used to the Skype emoticons and I'm typing on my phone so it's not exactly easy
3. For jet: for some reason another I have these wierd creative sensations that sends my creative mind into complete overdrive. I managed to write my thoughts down this time :pinkiehappy: (woot ponycon) wish me luck, I don't exactly have a special ability to write in fact... No wait that's a backstory and we don't want to go there no do we? Anyways wish me luck this might be a doozy
As always,
Best wishes for your writing :twilightsmile: (yay another)

Yes.

Just yes.

3332465 Maybe. This is an older work of mine, and I'm a better author now. I'd probably do a lot of this differently if I were to redo it.

stop giving me feels.
Just-
STOP.

I have to say, very few stories brought me to tears and made me that happy at such a huge level. I loved this story through and through from the very beginning. And if I do say so myself, I will be recommending it to all of my friends. Keep up the good work!

Login or register to comment