• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 5,808 Views, 470 Comments

Faux Pas of the Heart - Jet Howitzer



You've been trading letters with a certain fashion pony, and you'll finally get to meet her.

  • ...
16
 470
 5,808

Chapter XII: "Do Your Duty"

(You wanted moar? Well, I've got moar!)

//\\//\\//\\ Present //\\//\\//\\

“And that was my first exposure to the Elements, and the Princess. Not the most fun thing in the world, but better than letting the world be plunged into eternal night, I suppose.” Rarity actually looked at you this time, and she gave you a sad smile.

“So, it wasn’t just Twilight’s little monologue that did the job?”

“No. It was her words echoing through the ley lines, and my magic acting as the force that started the whole event.” You slowly turned the page of the journal, looking at the next page with a slight tinge of guilt. “Well, this next little event didn’t do much to help my reputation with my sisters, and it certainly didn’t make life easier. But, I like to think I did the right thing.” You glance at the pages following, and then you feel a sad smile come to your face. “And to make it better this will be the last little tale before I reach the ambush we made for Cadence.

“It was a few months later. Eight, to be precise. I was at home, after a long day…

//\\//\\//\\ Three Months Prior to Attack on Canterlot//\\//\\//\\

You let your quill run across the page of the journal, each small scratch of the writing instrument creating yet another line on the page. It had been quite an uneventful few months, now. Entropy and Impulse had been working nearly nonstop to secure all the needed connections for the ambush, leaving you to continue accumulating emotional energy that you could share with your sisters. They often were too busy to really spend time harvesting, and so you took on that job. While it was normally reserved for drones, as a royal male you had the ability to gather much larger reserves of energy, amounts that could kill a drone with ease.

Still, having all that energy often made you restless. Times like now, when you wanted nothing more than to have an outlet to pour your magic into. You’d contemplated becoming a sculptor, working with pure magic, rather than tools, but you quickly came to the realization that using pure magic created perfect works of art, and that was unsatisfying, somehow. Now, you simply wrote all manner of stories, some short, some long. But all of them under the false name of Quill Wielder. You made up a surname, hoping to throw off your fans should they actually exist.

As you finished the entry for today in your journal, a crashing noise sounded from the kitchen. Without hesitation you brought up your guise, storming to the kitchen to confront the intruder. When you arrived in the kitchen, you were greeted by a shattered window, glass on the floor, but no sign of anypony in the room. You let your gaze roam the room slowly, and just as you were about to step further into the room you spotted a small splattering of blood on the floor. You checked in the surrounding area, and soon you found yet another spot of blood.

Following the trail of blood you found you wound up in your living room, the blood trail seeming to just stop near the doorway where you entered. There was somepony in the house, that you knew. Where, though, was a far better, and far harder, question. It was quite likely that they were in this room, but with all the furniture it was quite possible that they were hiding just out of sight. “Come out, and I promise to let you go unharmed. Hide, and I’ll be forced to tear this room apart to find you.” As you finished your ultimatum a small shift in the corner of your eye caught your attention, and before you could face it a pony smashed into your side, sending both of you to the floor.

“Look, I don’t want to hurt you! I just wanted some food!”

“And so you attack me?” The stallion on your chest had his horn aimed at your head, and there was a faint glow at the tip. With him on you in this position you knew that he had the upper hoof. If you tried anything it was more than likely that he’d release his spell before you could do anything about it. “Alright, fine. You wanted food. What stopped you from going to your family, or something? Don’t you have a family you can turn to?”

“No.” The stallion wavered for just a moment as he answered, the glow fading just a bit. That was all it took, though, for you to launch your counterattack. With a burst of magical strength you threw the stallion across the room, watching as he slammed into the far wall, leaving a spiderweb pattern of cracks in the wall. He didn’t get up after that, and you felt a small pang of guilt as you realized what you did. As you reached the stallion on the floor, you heard the sound of your front door being opened. There was only one being you knew who would just waltz in without thinking to knock first.

“I’m in the living room.” Your call went unanswered, but a moment later Entropy walked in, her eyes widening in surprise for just a moment. She quickly regained her usual impassive demeanor, though. “I had a surprise guest. He… He jumped me, and I overreacted a bit.”

“Not really. Deal with him soon. We can’t have somepony running around who knows the truth.”

“He doesn’t, though.” Entropy raised an eyebrow at you for a moment, and then she shook her head, realization flashing across her face.

“Right, all that energy means that you can call upon your disguise without it ever being an issue.” She approached the prone form of the stallion, and then she gently nudged it with a hoof. “Did you kill him?”

“No. You already know what I think of killing ponies.”

“Yes, I do. But that doesn’t mean that you couldn’t have changed.”

“That’s not a change I want, Entropy.” Your sister just looked at you as you spoke.

“I don’t think you understand what we’re doing here, Catalyst. We aren’t here for pleasure, despite what you might think. Nor are we here to establish lasting ties with the natives. Catalyst, do you even know what this whole venture is for? Do you know why our mother is putting so much behind this whole plan?”

“No, Entropy. I don’t. No one has seen fit to enlighten me. I just get told that I’m going to Canterlot, and the next thing I know I’m being forced to kill a pony so that I can become him in his entirety. After that I get told that I’ll have to just accept whatever all of you say is right. Well, I’m here to say that I’m not a Drone. I am not your pawn, to be used as you see fit. I am more than a tool, Entropy. It would be good for you, and everyone, to remember that.”

“Kill him, Catalyst. We don’t have time for you to philosophize about why you exist, and what we’re doing here.”

“Leave, and then I’ll kill him. I’ll have no witnesses to my deed.”

“As you wish, brother. Just remember that if you don’t kill him, he will be your problem, to deal with should things go awry.” As she finished, she just looked from the prone stallion to you, and back again. “Do what’s right, brother. Not what you think is right.”


The door closed with a sense of finality, and you looked at the stallion now sitting in the chair in your living room. He was still unconscious, but you had dressed the cut along his cheek. It was pretty deep, and you knew that it would leave a scar if given the time to heal. Slowly, the stallion’s eyes fluttered open, and he soon looked at you, his eyes wide.

“Before you freak out, know that your fate lies solely in your hooves.” The stallion quickly closed his mouth, leaning back into the chair a bit further.

“What do you want?” The stallion looked at you with a hint of desperation in his eyes as you cocked your head in response to his question. “Are you going to report me to the guard… Or… What? I… I’m sorry.”

“Why did you turn to thievery in order to survive? Have you no family to turn to?”

“I did, but… They abandoned me.”

“I see. And so you decided to become a thief in order to survive?”

“Not exactly…”

“I’m not here to hear your life story, my question was rhetorical. There is no good answer to that question. I suppose I’ll jet get to the point here and now, to avoid the issue becoming clouded.” You let your disguise fall away, the stallion’s eyes widening even further. “A great evil will descend upon this city soon. I do not wish to see this city, nor this nation, plunged into the darkness that would follow my mother’s success. For that reason, I grant you the knowledge that you need in order to escape.”

“What are you?”

“Leave this city, and do not return. But tell nopony what I have told you. My mother has spies everywhere, and I wish not to earn her ire. Roam the lands, and make an honest living for yourself. But do not steal, for that I can not forgive. I loathe doing it myself, and I do it for the same reason as you. But I believe that there is a way to get what you need without stealing it, just like there is a way for me to get what I need without stealing it.” You pause, and then you stand, walking out of the room while continuing to speak. “Leave my home, and heed my words.”

“What’s your name?”

“Catalyst. It’s my name, and what I am.”

For the first time I made a decision for myself. I took the options I had, and I did what I thought was right. After all, there is no right choice. Just what we think is right…

//\\//\\//\\ Two Weeks Prior to Attack on Canterlot//\\//\\//\\

“Quit fidgeting, Catalyst. It’s simple. Just kill him, and our path to Cadence is made clear.”

“Again, why do I have to kill him?”

“You’re the one with the guard disguise.”

“Yeah, and you’re the one who gets her jollies by killing other living creatures.”

“I don’t. It was just a relief to finally make that babbling guard shut up. I sighed with relief, not pleasure!”

“Could’ve fooled me…” You slowly approached the guard, your normal appearance ditched in favor of the pure white of the guardspony. Lance, as you knew him to be called, simply watched you as you approached, his eyes following your movements.

“Halt. Who goes there?” His voice was firm, confident, and filled with authority. Clearly he knew his duty, and he’d die before he failed in it. “By order of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza nopony is permitted to her quarters.”

“Lance, it’s me. Just thought I’d come by after shift to see if you were interested in joining me and some of the other guards for a round after we’re all done with our shifts.”

“My shift lasts the full night. I must pass. Thank you for the offer, though.” Despite his words, his tone clearly indicated just how he really felt about your offer. The slight look of disgust on his face also helped make it clear how he felt about the offer.

You stopped a few steps away from the guard, and he kept looking at you, his eyes narrowed just a tiny bit. “You seem different, Shield. Is everything alright?”

“Yes. But, I’m afraid the same can’t be said for you. I’m sorry.” As you lunged forward you couldn’t help but see the sense of betrayal in Lance’s eyes. More than the betrayal, though, was a deep sense of regret. You didn’t allow his mind to merge with yours, though, so you were spared the barrage of raw memories that might’ve otherwise flooded your mind. Still, that made your second kill. Two lives, ended by your magic.

“Excellent work, Catalyst. Now, to pay a visit to the Princess.”


She saw you coming. She told you so when you entered her room, and asked her to come with you. She even knew what you were without you even dropping your disguise. The whole ordeal went oddly smooth, and she never once said a word in protest. It seemed, somehow, like she didn’t mind what was happening. When you got to the caverns, Chrysalis was there, waiting for you. It all seemed so formal. Like, somehow, this kind of thing happened all the time, and it was just another normal day.

Just as you were bringing the Princess into the caverns, though, there did seem to be a momentary break in how things were proceeding.

“Princess Cadence?”

“Yes?” She didn’t sound rude, as much as surprised. As if you were somehow doing something wrong.

“I… I’m sorry.” You realized that you were apologizing quite a bit; as much for your actions as for the actions of the hive. Chrysalis was the mastermind behind all of this, and yet you were the one doing almost all of it. “I didn’t want this to happen, but I can’t see a way to stop it.”

“It’s alright, Catalyst. Certain things can’t really be stopped, and this is one of them. No matter how you might try, there are times when we just need to accept what’s happening, and intervene in what ways we can.”

“If my mother succeeds, this will mean the end of Equestria as we know it…”

“Which is why we have to make sure she doesn’t succeed.”

“What can I do, though?”

“Twilight, a mare I used to foalsit, will be coming to the wedding when it happens. She was always so curious, and had such an eye for detail that Chrysalis will never be able to fool her.” She stopped for a moment as you reached a large overhang. “Twilight will, as she always does, try to take matters into her own hooves, even if it means doing something drastic, or coming up with some seemingly bizarre theory. It’s just how she is.”

“But how does that help? It doesn’t matter how good she is, Chrysalis has the strength of a nation. An entire race of beings dedicated to serving her. She can’t win.”

“She won’t win. And that’s something I’m hoping for. Chrysalis is very prideful, and so she won’t deal with Twilight in a permanent manner. Just like me, she wants to be able to gloat. So, she’ll send Twilight somewhere where she won’t be able to stop her.”

“And? I can’t make her send Twilight somewhere. Magic doesn’t work that way.”

“Pony magic doesn’t, but Changeling magic does.” The Princess drew you close before she continued. “Give me some of your magic, and I will use it to guide the way Chrysalis’ teleportation spell works. From there, I will do what I can to make sure things work out.”

“I don’t understand… How wi-”

“There is no time, Catalyst. Give me some of your energy, and I will do what I can.” When you still hesitated, the Princess gave you a small, sad smile. “Trust me, as I trusted you.” She just kept looking at you, and you looked over your shoulder towards the opening from whence you came before you looked back at the Princess.

“Don’t let her win. It’s not too late for my people, and I won’t let Discord’s magic be our legacy.” As the magic flowed from your horn to hers you felt your reserves dwindle just a small amount before the Princess cut off the flow. “Good luck, Princess. And… Again, I’m sorry.”

“I forgive you, Catalyst. It’s not your actions that have brought this to pass.”

//\\//\\//\\ Present //\\//\\//\\

“And after that it was just a matter of allowing the wedding to arrive.” You heaved a sigh as you felt your strength ebb even further. “If I had known just what Cadence had intended to do with her magic in order to save Canterlot… I don’t know. So many things were caused by her actions, but I can’t help but wonder if it would’ve gone worse had she not intervened.”

The mare didn’t respond. Instead, she shifted her position slightly, still looking towards you. You were about to speak once more when a subtle shift in the lighting bid you to look towards the windows. The sun was on the horizon, casting a pleasant red glow across the sky. Soon, Celestia would complete her ritual, allowing Luna to assume her duties. More than that, Knight would get yet another chance to show his love for the mare he’d won.

And, for you, it meant that you’d have either won or lost by sunrise.

Hey, no pressure or anything, right… Right?

“The attack on Canterlot was something you were present for, but I don’t think that you really saw all that much of it.”

“I saw enough.”

“A single battle, Rarity, doesn’t really let you see the bigger picture. You waged your little war at the vault, while the rest of the city descended into panic, chaos, and fighting. The guards of the city weren’t just at the palace. They were everywhere. And when the shield fell, I watched as the swarm fell upon the city…”

//\\//\\//\\ The Royal Wedding -2 Hours //\\//\\//\\

“Son, come here.” Her voice was just as biting as ever. It made you yearn for when it was just you and your sisters, honestly.

“Yes, mother?”

“The swarm is waiting for the shield to drop to launch the attack. When they begin the attack I want you to ensure that Princess Luna remains away from the fighting. Both she, and her pathetic guard. I’ll have enough to deal with in the pathetic Princess they worship so fervently that dealing with Princess Luna as well will be too much.”

“Yes mother.” You didn’t bother looking at Chrysalis, since she refused to lower the disguise she had adopted even for a moment. You thought about what Cadence said, and you began wondering about when Twilight would make her move. “What will you do if that one lavender unicorn pierces your disguise?”

“She’ll be cast out of the city, and into the heart of the hive. I’ve already memorized the spell, and I have the energy to cast the spell ready for just that purpose. My spies, though, lead me to believe that she’ll falter in her beliefs before she outright accuses me. Frankly, I’m not all that worried about her.”

“I’ll be taking my leave, then.”

“Catalyst.” Her voice was softer than usual…

“Yes?” As you turned to look you were only slightly surprised to see her actual slit-pupiled eyes looking at you through the disguise.

“Be careful… You are my competition for the throne, and so I am wary of what you might do. But you are also my son, and I…”

“I know, mother.”

“Before you assume the throne I will say the words.” You didn’t respond as you left.

After that, you simply wandered the palace, appearing to any passing ponies as if you were just another worker there for the wedding. It didn’t take too long for you to arrive at the gardens, and within the gardens at the statue of Discord. His visage was different from the last time you saw it, but that made sense, considering that it had been… redone, since the last time you looked at it. It was still intimidating to look at, but the fear on his demonic visage lessened the impact that was present the last time.

As you walked closer to the statue you felt an odd shiver run the length of your spine.

“You.” You quickly turned a circle, looking for the pony that had addressed you. When there was nopony around, you looked toward the statue, disbelief written plainly on your face. “Aye, Changeling, the stone speaks. It appears you are the one I have to blame for the Elements being amongst the world once more. I bear you no ill will, though. Fret not about that. After all, they only ensnared most of my entity within the stone you see before you.”

“Most?”

“Yes, most. A part of me still roams the land, lost, broken, bitter, and alone. My vessel lacks the ability to work magic, and has no wings. But still, it is better than nothing. Perhaps the form will be of some use in the future, when I seek to explore the land.” A sigh comes from the stone, and you can somehow imagine it shrugging, despite its immobility. “But that’s a tale for your future, not my present.”

“I… You can’t succeed, Discord. The Elements will stop you.”

“But your Queen mother seeks to see the end of Equestria. And once she does you will be powerless to stop me. When you passed up the Elements, you ensured that your kind would forever be forbidden from wielding them. Whether you know it or not, when you moved them, you had to use their power to transfer them. And, in that action, your entire kind was marked. Linking you to the Elements for all of time. As they prosper, so will your kind. Eliminate the Elements, and you doom your entire race. My magic, as well, will work to doom you.”

You took a step back from the stone as you started to understand what the god of chaos was saying. “She… My mother wouldn’t… Celestia…”

“Enough, Changeling. You have a part to play in the coming years, and Time dictates us all. Do your duty.”

As the god finished speaking, you looked up to see the shield so far above you shatter, and the swarm rushed in.

(Hope you enjoyed having some moar. Still a bit more to go in regards to your past. And then, once you finally bring Rarity up to date, you'll have your conclusion. I know how it will end, but I'm not going to tell anyone how it ends. That'd be no fun at all.)