• Published 14th Aug 2012
  • 1,489 Views, 63 Comments

Phoenix blood - Mikoyose



A man with blood that could save mankind, finds himself in Equestria after a failed attempt to die.

  • ...
12
 63
 1,489

Adjusting

I stare out the window, having woken up from nightmares in the middle of the night and being unable to sleep for the rest of the night. But this was different, it was filled with not nightmares but memories, and I find that worse. Being reminded of those I had killed without wanting to, Rosemary, my family, everyone I had met essentially. I know I'm just going to be doing the same thing as always, live on while everything dies around me. "Why did this have to happen to me?" I said before leaving the room I was staying in and trotting downstairs to be met with Lyra, the mint green unicorn watched me approach, "Hey um... James. Are you sure you're okay? I know you were awake all night." she said. Of course I'm not alright, but I'll get over it... Eventually.

"I'm fine. It should be nearly time for me to get to work." I said, walking towards the door. She was about to say something but decided against it and watched me leave.

Outside it was a regular day, from what I could tell. The birds were singing, the sky was clear, the ponies that would be awake were walking around and doing whatever they were doing. I stretched my wings quickly before flying off to look for Dash, guessing she was either at her house, which I guessed was the only cloud home near Ponyville, or sleeping on some cloud. I continued to fly high to have a better vantage point, I couldn't see her so I flew to her home and knocked on the cloud door, surprisingly it actually made a sound when my hoof tapped it. There was no answer so I knocked harder, still no answer so I knocked as hard as I could to make as much noise as possible and got results, "For the love of. I'm coming!" I heard her voice from inside and was greeted with an angry pegasus when she opened the door, "Oh it's you. What do you want?" she asked, probably irritated that I woke her up from her sleep, even when she sleeps all day long.

"Well Dash, you said I needed to come at Six A.M so here I am." I said.

"Ugh, fine then. Follow me and we'll get Thunderlane." she said and I moved aside to let her pass. She closed the door to her home before she flew up and off towards the city in the sky. I followed close behind her. The fly there was silent, save for the fact that Pinkie had come up in some pedal powered helicopter just to ask if we wanted to stop by for a snack. We both denied and continued on. We came to the city, It wasn't much different from the one we were just at, besides being filled with Pegasi exclusively. We flew to a nearly black coated Pegasus sporting a light blue mane that patterned Light blue then dark blue then Light blue again and so on. He had a thundercloud on his flank with a yellow lightning bolt. "Yo Thunderlane!" Dash said to the stallion, he turned to her.

"What's up Rainbow Dash?" he inquired.

"Well today is your day to take the rain clouds to Ponyville and this jackflank here is going to help you." she said pointing at me with a hoof. "He's new to the weather team so you have to introduce him to the basics." she said. He glared at her,

"Why can't you do it?" he questioned. She stared at him then just rocketed off, leaving me with him.

"What a bitch." I said, he slowly shook his head and started trotting towards the large building that was producing clouds.

"This is the weather factory." he said as we entered, he sounded extremely bored. "This is were we make the weather for all of Equestria." he continued.

"I can tell. The name is self explanatory." I commented.

He sighed, "Look let's just get this over with so we can get to work." he said. I looked around.

"Well let's just get to work then. I don't care about the rest or if... Is that a rainbow?" I asked as soon as I saw the rainbow pool. He nodded with a smile.

"Yeah it is. Thanks..." he stopped.

"James." I finished for him.

"Thanks James. Now let's just get the rain clouds over Ponyville and have it done with." He said. I agreed and we went straight to get the storm clouds, we passed the snowflake room on the way, it's a room where they make each and every snowflake, the workers were too concentrated to pay us any attention. We spoke with one of the workers, a white pegasus mare with a white hard hat and lab coat, a clipboard adorned her flank. She told us what clouds we had to use and where to put them. I watched him fly to one of the clouds and push it, I copied him and we brought the assigned clouds to Ponyville. It took a few hours to actually put them into place with only two Pegasi working. I asked Thunderlane why were we the only ones working and he said, "Because I need the extra money and I'm guessing it's the same with you."

I nodded, "Yeah, I need money, I'm renting a room and the rent's due today."

"Damn, that's tough. Well at least we should get paid when we're done." he said

"She said I could pay when I had the money. At least she isn't greedy, demanding the money up front this morning." I said

"True. So what are you doing in Ponyville?" he asked

"Nothing much. I don't have anything better to do. And I have nowhere to be."

"Oh... Well I see your cutie mark is a red tear? Is it a drop of blood?" he sounded shocked.

"Yeah. Apparently fate is an asshole and made my blood a special talent." I said angrily.

He didn't say anything after that and we finished the job in silence. We then left back to the factory to get our pay so I could leave. "Okay, here's your bits." the same mare said, tossing two bags of bits at our hooves.

"Thanks." I said before picking up the bag and flying away. Thunderlane followed me.

"Hey! James!" he called out. I stopped and hovered in the air.

"What do you want?" I said. I thought he was going to ask if I wanted to hang out but I was wrong.

"Well what makes your blood your special talent?" he asked. I told him to never ask again and left without another word, I knew it seemed suspicious but I didn't care, the less who knew the better. When I reached my temporary home I remembered what Doctor and the Princess had said, 'You're safe here. This is a peaceful world.' though I didn't believe it for one simple fact that never failed, whenever I'd feel safe things went wrong and fast.

I saw movement in the window and prepared for the worst, placing my bag of bits under my wing as I had seen others do, I opened the door and walked in. Party horns went off, followed by confetti cannons, and ended with Pinkie Pie jumping in my face from out of nowhere, "Surprise!" she yelled. Somehow this didn't surprise me. "This is your official welcome to Ponyville party!" she continued before running to my side, putting a hoof around my neck and pulling me in. The ponies all smiled and greeted me, I half heartily replied. Pinkie brought me to the center of the home where her six friends stood along with Lyra and Bon Bon. I grabbed the bag of bits and tossed it at Bon Bon's hooves.

"Take the rent out of there, leave the rest in there, I'll pick it up later." I said and began walking to the staircase that led to my room. I heard the crowd begin whispering for a short while before music blared and the party began.

I sat in my empty room and looked back, my past was filled with running from those who seemed trustworthy, killing those who tried to kill me, having to become a ghost essentially. I'd gladly die to have my family and Rosemary back. I sighed, feeling my ears droop along with my mood. I heard the door open, "Is this a bad time?" Twilight said from behind.

"No this isn't a bad time." I answered.

"Oh well that's good isn't it?" The Doctor came in after her. They each sat to one side of me, Doctor on the left, Twilight on my right, somehow I felt a little more secure with them there though I didn't say anything. "Well what's happening James?" Doctor asked smiling. I told him it was nothing.

"I can tell there's something bothering you. A good friend always can." Twilight said.

I eyed her, "Well a good friend would also never look into the memories of another." she winced at that while her ears drooped.

"Oh, come off it James. She did it to try and help you. It was with the best intentions." Doctor told me.

"I... I'm sorry James, I didn't mean to hurt you." Twilight apologized, her large eyes beginning to tear up. That is the one thing that I hate to see; tears.

"It's fine, I don't care either, what's happened happened and there's no changing it." I told her in the most calming voice I could muster, it wasn't much different from my usual one, just a little softer. It worked surprisingly, she wiped her eyes clean, "See Twilight I told you he was forgiving." The Doctor said, before he muttered, "Thank goodness he didn't attack her." Twilight couldn't hear that but I punched his arm with my hoof hard, "OW! What was that for!?" he asked me. I turned away from Twilight and whispered.

"For thinking that I'd attack a woman." I turned back to Twilight. "You should go be with your friends, I'm fine." I said, giving her a fake smile. She stared, my smile didn't falter. She smiled.

"Okay, I'm glad you're fine. You should come down later." she said as she stood up and trotted out of the room. Once she left my smile fell.

The Doctor put a hoof on my shoulder, "It's Rosemary isn't it?" he asked. How does he know these things I'll never know, and I'll never know how Pinkie can do such strange things.

"Yeah it is." I don't see a reason to lie to the Doctor, he's experienced this before.

"James I know it hurts to remember her but you should move on." he said, trying to console me, it didn't work.

"I went through those memories again." I told him. He nodded, knowing what I meant, after I had passed out from lack of sleep in his TARDIS, the same thing happened.

"Making friends helps fill that void James. You should go to the party." He said. I was going to argue but couldn't think of anything to say.

"I'll go down later." i said. Doctor smiled and left. Friends... I hope they're right. I thought as I stood up.