• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,958 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,958

PreviousChapters Next
145. In the Dead of Night

When Rainbow returned to her and Rarity’s room at the inn, it was dimly lit by only a single dreary lamp, and it was really small to the point of almost being stuffy. It was definitely a step down from the Neighagra Falls Inn, but it was clean and cozy, and Rainbow had stayed at worse places.

Rarity was lying on her bed, idly looking up at the ceiling, and Rainbow’s first order of business was to clear stuff up with her.

“Uh, hey,” Rainbow said awkwardly as she shut the door behind her.

“Hello, darling,” Rarity said pleasantly, and Rainbow waited for the other shoe to drop in the form of a pointed comment about Rainbow’s behavior, but it never came.

“Um, I’m uhhh, sorry,” Rainbow cleared her throat and sat on the bed across from Rarity’s— though saying it was ‘across’ implied that there was more than two inches of room between the two beds, which there was not. “Sorry about my uh, how I was acting earlier.”

“Don’t be, sweetheart,” Rarity giggled and sat up, hands on her hooves and legs crossed. “I thought it was very cute of you to peacock for me like that. I hope you don’t mind me putting it that way, or calling you cute for that matter.”

“That guy was a real jerk, right?” Rainbow said shortly, only realizing right after that maybe she shouldn’t have said that.

“He’s certainly full of himself,” Rarity hummed, “but so am I, so. And so are you, for that matter! We don’t really have a leg to stand on there.”

“Hrm, I guess,” Rainbow crossed her arms. She really didn’t like being compared to that guy, and she didn’t think the comparison was that true either, but she didn’t wanna start anything with Rarity, so she just let it go.

“I bet Twilight would absolutely detest him,” Rarity sighed. “I wonder if that’s part of why I’m attracted to him. Other than the fact that he is just, incredibly hot.”

“So anyway,” Rainbow smiled awkwardly. “Uhh, so do you mind if I compete with Blueblood over who gets to kill the sea serpent first? Cuz I kinda already agreed to it.”

“Hm, yes of course you did,” Rarity rolled her eyes and fell on her back onto the bed. “Although…”

“Yeah?” Rainbow leaned forward, ears perked.

“Hmm, I don’t like it,” Rarity groaned, “but I think I have a way that everypony can win.”

“Tell me about it!” Rainbow chirped. “I love winning!”

“In the dead of night,” Rarity sat up and looked at Rainbow, “the two of us will depart and track down the sea serpent at its den. We won’t wait for it to come to us like we had planned. Once we get there—”

“We kill it before Blueblood even has a chance to!” Rainbow pounded her fist against her palm with a huge grin.

“We talk to it and convince it to go somewhere else where it won’t harm anypony,” Rarity said.

“Oh,” Rainbow said. She puffed up her cheeks and cocked her head. “Wait, what?”

“You remember what I told you about the manticore mission?” Rarity asked.

“You mean how it wasn’t actually dangerous and you just had to take a thorn outta its paw?” Rainbow said.

“And what Fluttershy said about the monsters in her forest?” Rarity continued.

“How they weren’t actually a threat to anypony unless their territory was invaded?” Rainbow asked. “What about it?”

Rarity blinked and pinched the bridge of her nose, shutting her eyes with a bemused frown.

“Hehe, I’m a little slow on the uptake again, huh?” Rainbow said bashfully, rubbing the back of her mane and blushing.

“Basically, what I’m saying is-” Rarity took a deep breath and exhaled slowly “-I’m becoming more and more convinced that we’ve been lied to, not just about dragons but about all of Equestria’s so-called ‘monsters’. And I want— no, I need to know the truth for myself. And there’s nothing to do but to do it.”

“Well then let’s do it!” Rainbow stood up and flared out her wings, which was no easy feat in the cramped inn room. “Let’s prove once and for all that all this stuff about monsters is a bunch of nonsense, and that Twilight and Fluttershy are cool actually!”

“Yes, lets,” Rarity nodded. “But first, let’s wait about five hours for everyone to go to sleep, hm?”

“Oh,” Rainbow fell on the bed in a heap, and Rarity giggled.

Patience wasn’t Rainbow’s strong suit at all, but for Rarity, and for Twilight, Rainbow would deal with it.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next