• Published 8th Sep 2017
  • 29,489 Views, 5,211 Comments

Twilight gets a Puppy - TDR



A baby dragon wasn't the only thing Twilight gained during her acceptance test.

  • ...
70
 5,211
 29,489

PreviousChapters Next
Brindle Gossip, Part 4

Twilight Gets a Puppy
By TDR

Brindle Gossip,

Part 4

[Golden Oaks Library]


“Are ya'll done now?” Appletini frowned glaring at Rainbow Crash and Twilight Spark-le.

The former was singed and looked like she had been in a scuffle and the latter was currently being sat on by the former.

“So long as she calms down.” Rainbow Dash demanded pointing a hoof at Twilight.

AppleTini looked down at Twilight.

“So long as she leaves my brother alone.” Twilight growled.

“Please Twilight relax. He's a big pony, I’m sure he can take care of himself.” Raaaarrrrity scoffed sitting daintily in a chair sipping some Tea Ppppppbbbbhhhht Pie had made.

“Yeah but until Flutter Guy wakes up we won't know how big.” Rainbow Dash chuckled until Twilight bit her leg again.

”My word Pinkie this has no flavor at all but bitterness, Did you put anything in it?”Rarity asked, ignoring Twilight and Dash as the pair of them got into another scuffle.

Before Pinkie could speak Rarity snapped open a parasol protecting herself from the spittle.

“Yehs, free cuffs of fugar.” Pinkie fountained, getting a little better at speaking with a swollen tongue.

“Odd that. I've had your sarsaparilla tea before and I can barely stand it , now it seems rather bland.” Rarity pouted.

'None of this is helping us git this fixed....” Applejack sighed.

“Honestly darling the answer is so simple even you should have been able to get it, I heard that bitch comment by the way.” Rarity muttered the last as she continued. “We simply go ask Zecora what she did to us and to fix it.”

“How is that simple? She's in tha Everfree!”Applejack snapped.

“And your sister is the size of an Ursa Minor. What pray tell aside from a Ursa is going to even come to look at something as big as she is tromping through the forest?” Rarity concluded. “Twilight does not seem to have found anything useful and your sister is getting bored. If she is anything like mine she was probably going to try and slip out again to go do just what I suggested.”

'She ain't going any where, big as she is she can't sneak fer nothing. She'd get stopped afore she took a step?”Applejack responded.

“By who darling? In case you have not noticed you are not of a considerable size for her to even notice you, and none of the rest of us are in much condition to stop her. In fact Spike might simply go along with it like he did before and he seems to be one of the few outside of your family she listens to .” Rarity concluded.

Applejack simply grumbled.

“Now then onto the next part.” Rarity sighed setting her parasol aside as she leaned over and picked Rainbow Dash up bodily off Twilight setting her on the couch . “You two stop.”

“What? She's just mad cause I’m teasing her brother...” Dash sighed. “ Not my fault.”

“Rainbow Dash, no. What you are doing is being crass and rude with locker room talk. “ Rarity scoffed. “ 'I' am properly teasing him.”

“And you need to stop too.” Twilight growled.

“Yer remarkably together today Rarity, specially with all this stuff.” Applejack pointed out actually seeming a bit impressed.

“Darling I have been awake since early this morning, I've had eight hours already to deal with it. I've had three freakouts, two fashion breakthroughs, four revenge plots come to mind, and still I had time to fix this dress and rearrange my work schedule for the day.“ Rarity sighed. “The only things that has stopped me from having four or five freakouts are the facts that fingers work just as well with sewing as my magic, and Rahs' expression at my appearance was everything I plotted it would be.”

“Why would you plot against Rahs?” Twilight asked.

“Because after that debacle with Trixie, he had the nerve to come into my shop and ask to get his coat redone in green.” Rarity muttered.

“That's a bit much because of coloration.”Twilight grumbled.

“It's all harmless fun, and it's nice to know I can get a reaction from a male no matter what form I’m in. Quite an ego boost.” Rarity smiled.” Though if he remains a pony I might not just tease for my own amusement.”

“I know right.” Rainbow Dash stated.

“FOCUS!!!” Applejack screamed out suddenly leaping up on the table.”Some one get Rahs and lets go after this Zecora. And if she ain't willing tah fix this hex, with everyone there we ken force her too.”

“Honestly I don't think it will be that bad.” Twilight stated. “It's also not a hex, that's the same thing as a curse which doesn't exist.”

“Do you think we'll ever leave?” Applebloom whispered to Spike.

“I give it an another hour. I still can't come up with anything for Rahs. I mean it's a one syllable name. How do I even work with that?” Spike complained.

“TAH DA!” Rahs shouted dramatically bursting through the basement door with with a proud pose.

The former Moon Dog did not it seem find any pants that fit him in his current form. What he did find however was a light blue, white poke-a-dot dress that was large enough to cover him fully from the neck down.

“Where's my camera?”.” Spike questioned rushing over to the Library's front desk.

“Huh.” Applebloom shrugged.

“Waffft?” Pinkie Pie showered.

“Well now.” Applejack whistled.

“Hmm, the color does go well with his coat.” Rarity appraised.

“How the heck does he wear a dress and go up to a solid 11? “ Rainbow Dash proclaimed.

Fluttershy took that moment to wake up with a groan. She noted everyone staring and looked over to see what they were looking at,which turned out to be Rahs in a cute dress. Her nose started bleeding again and she passed out once more.

“Why are you in one of my dresses?” Twilight demanded.

“Cause I look good in it?” Rahs snarked.

“Wait that is one of Twilight's dresses?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah, none of my pants fit and I wanted something to cover up with. My coats not in any shape to do that any more.” Rahs grumbled flatting his ears.

“Take that off!” Twilight yelled.

“Slowly” muttered Rainbow Dash

“You're going to rip it!” Twilight continued her protest.

“Actually it's kinda baggy.” Rahs complained.” Like a mu-mu.”

“WHAT!?! Are you saying I’m fat!?” Twilight yelled.

“Not directly, but you did attack me over donuts, so if the horseshoe fits.” Rahs shrugged. “A size quintuple-x horse shoe anyway.”

“DIE!” Twilight roared leaping at her brother and sending both of them tumbling back down the stairs along with a number of curses more yelling and a multitude of crashes when they finally hit bottom.

“We are never getting this curse fixed.” Applejack groaned falling to the table top in exasperation.

“It's not a curse.” cried Twilight weakly from the basement.

“Spikey dear. Does being a Dragon make you more inclined to violence?” Rarity called towards the door.

“ Nope, that's just Twilight. Rahs is egging her on. Pretty normal. I mean aside from the fact she breathes fire now, and he's a pony.” Spike commented digging through a drawer to pull out his camera fumbling with it in his paws.” Dang, can't figure anything from Moon Dog either.”

[Everfree forest]

Zecora stretched with a yawn, watching the potion she was brewing bubbled. The mix was only a few shades away from being perfect, the problem was she had never quite gotten the mixture right before, but she had been close many times.

The brew itself didn't do anything, but if it was mixed with any sort of potion, or magical effect, the effects would be instantaneous rather than whatever set time they might normally have. A potion that healed a wound over a few hours, when mixed would heal instantly. A brew for easing the common cold would knock it out mere moments after the mix was imbued.

Of course she was also going to test it on her sun berry still out back to see if she could speed up the fermentation process, but it had to work first.

Zecora flattened her ears to her head. She might have managed to pull this off months ago had her trips to Ponyville not been so fruitless. Going into town herself made the whole place like a ghost town. If she had not met the school teacher Cheerilee on one of her trips and had a conversation spark up, as the mare was more curious than afraid, she would have thought Ponyville abandoned.

Thankfully her new friend was willing to help her out with some of the things she needed and knew enough about plants to be able to trade some of the rare ingredients Zecora had acquired from the forest.

The teacher couldn't really explain why or even how the rest of the town vanished so completely,but she theorized it was the deep seated fear of what came out of the forest coupled with family based fear of anything new. This had been the second time something like that had happened, evidently it took a number of weeks for any one to get used to new residents named Rahs and Spike that now lived in town. And there were still some who were wary of them.

The Zebra's train of thought stopped as the brew before her turned a shade of crimson. This was a new result, this would be the time she succeeded. All she needed to do was wait until it turned lime colored and she could take it off the fire.

It was about that time that something crashed in the back of her home. She frowned looking back into her room she noticed a jar had fallen off a shelf mounted on the wall. As she watched the rest of her shelves were starting to bounce and various objects started to rattle in their holders all over the house. They seemed like hoofsteps with the regular pattern rather than an earthquake.

A glance to the window showed it was still daylight outside so it was unlikely a Ursa wandering by. In fact the vibrations were getting stronger. Zecora frowned as her cups rattled in her cabinets various bottles hanging from cords started clanking together. Whatever it was it was getting closer.

The Zebra mare darted about her house gathering what she could, the more expensive ingredients and things she couldn't replace. This wouldn't be the first time something had gotten past her wards and destroyed her home, she doubted it would be the last. She thought the new wards and the fact she was living in a tree this time would discourage any of the larger beasts. She had quite the scare a while ago when a Ursa minor tore out of the forest running past her home. Perhaps this would be something like that , though she didn't want to take any chances.

A glance to the pot had her cursing, the liquid had boiled to black while she was preparing, another failure. The thudding was nearly on top of her and the sunlight coming through the windows darkened as what ever it was stopped outside of her home and was large enough to blot out the sun.

Shouldering her large pack she considered hiding in her root cellar and hoping it left when she heard what sounded like arguing.

“WATCH THE HOOVES !” a male yelped.

“I am!” a female answered with a hint of sultriness in her voice.

“DASH STOP GROPING MY BROTHER OR SO HELP ME I WILL TURN THIS BLOOM AROUND.....” Shouted another voice.

“Ya'll ken git offa me now.” A high pitched , but booming voice, stated flatly.

Curiosity won out over caution and Zecora moved to the window peering out of it. A massive yellow pony with a red mane and a ridiculously colossal bow stood next to her house, on the giants back she could see a number of other figures including some other ponies, a Dog, a Diamond Dog, and a Dragon.

The Zebra mare blinked as she watched the large pony sit down , sending the whole group of them sliding off her back with a crash.

“Ya'll been arguing tha whole trip out here. Ah'd go talk to her maiself but I'd kick her house over trying tah knock.” the massive pony stated.

“Right, either Fluttershy...” The Dragon began.

“No.” The yellow mare baritoned.

“..... or Rahs should go talk to her as they seem the most normal and don't seem to want to beat her into submission, then ask questions.” The Dragon concluded.

“Hey I don't want to beat her.” the blue Pegasus protested.

“No, you want the spell she used so you can keep tormenting my brother.” The Dragon stated, pointing to a navy furred stallion with amber colored mane, tail, and eyes. His ears were just a bit too long atop his head giving him an air of the exotic that the other ponies seemed to lack. He was also wearing a dress for some reason yet he looked damn good in it.

“Woof.” Zecora stated a little louder than she liked.

The stallion's ears perked as he and the others looked to where the bark came from seeing her looking out at them through the window. The navy stallion was also turning bright red.

“What did she say?” the purple and green dog asked.

“That's not for the under-aged to hear, also how she managed to rhyme THAT with Pineapple worries me.” The stallion stated not able to bring himself to look at Zecora.

“Fo muff forr furprvsing fur.” A pink mare with a swollen tongue cascaded.

“How were we ever going to surprise anything with Applebloom running here?” The pristine white Diamond Dog asked.

Zecora sighed setting down her pack and heading out side. It wasn't likely this lot was going to do anything and she wouldn't learn anything from staying inside. Two of them looked like the group that chased her yesterday. She didn't recall the beast with them being white, but it had to be a mistake on her part. There was no way it could have been what she thought it was, those monsters were only legends now despite all that was left behind proving their existence. At least two of them seemed to be suffering the effects poison joke as well. Unless Pegasi grew backwards wings and swollen tongues were common with Earth ponies.

Besides it would allow her a closer look at that stallion and maybe she would get an answer to why he was in a dress.

Zecora tilted her head looking up at the massive pony seated nearby. The others were still trying to figure out how to talk to her and how to keep Applejack from rushing over there and trying to fight her ear or something.

Finally the stallion seemed to have enough and picked up the dragon by her tail trotting them both over to the Zebra before dropping her on the ground.

“Look. You're the skeptic Twi. You ask.” The stallion stated sitting down and staring down at the purple Dragon. “Besides the sooner we get back to normal the sooner I get left alone.”

Zecora turned to look at the dragon curiously, though her eyes did wander over the stallion a few times. He was quite the looker, a little young for her it seemed, still there was no harm in looking.

“Okay look, Zecora right? After that encounter yesterday all this weird stuff started happening to every pony and we would like very much, that if it's your doing, that you stop it.” Twilight stated.

“Please....” Applebloom added.

“Applebloom don't you dare! Turn that off right now!” a tiny Applejack yelled up from Rainbow Dash's mane.” We ain't killin her with cute, til she fixes this curse!”

“It's not a curse.” Twilight screamed throwing her claws in the air.” And we are not killing anyone!”

“Really isn't any kind of spell or charm that is harmful to the target a curse or hex?” Spike questioned suddenly. “ It's all just the wording, like some professional casters like being called witches or wizards and some like being called sorcerers. Same thing different wording.”

Twilight turned to glare at her younger brother, blinked, considered, glared again, thought deeper, then seemed to get stuck in a logic loop for a few moments until the stallion prodded her with a hoof and she snapped out of it. She crossed her arms and snorted.” I GUESS.........”

“I did nothing to ahny of you, your ahffliction is your own fahult too.” Zecora stated flatly.

The area around the Zebra's home was silent for a few moments as nine jaws hit the ground, literally in Pinkie's case. All of them were staring at Zecora like she had grown a second head that was singing show tunes.

“ Ahn whaht ahre you on ahbout now? “ Zecora questioned again, her heavy Bay-stentonian accent practically dripping from her lips as she spoke, completely murdering her look as an exotic southern continent inhabitant. “If yer just gonnah gawk then ciaho.....”

The Zebra rose and turned heading back to her hut not even bothered by Applebloom's cute.

“Wait, wait, wait, sorry I wasn't expecting a Bay-stentonian accent.” Twilight stammered quickly.

“Oh, expecting something else from me? “ Zecora scoffed. “Well to bahd whaht you get is not ahlwahys whaht you see.”

“Why are you rhyming?” Applebloom asked.

Zecora looked up curiously at the giant filly before sighing. “It's something my tribe's shahmen do, It's ah focusing tool, not something out of the blue.”

“Okay I’ve got so many questions now.” Rahs stated. “Most important is how she gets her mane to stay up like that. I know a few parts that would need that hairstyle like that and Shirley loves new mane techniques. I still haven’t gotten him a birthday present yet.”

“Rahs she can understand you.” Spike stated.

“And?” Rahs shrugged.

Zecora chuckled a little, turning back around to look them all over. She could tell which ones were part of the usual town folk mentality. The yellow one, tiny orange one, and the pink one were all still leery of her, the stallion, Dragon, talking dog, and the giant earth pony filly all seemed rather interested in her ,and at the very least not afraid. The Pegasus was indifferent and seemed more focused on the stallions flank than her, and the Diamond Dog seemed split between the two groups. Honestly aside from Cheerilee this was the most she spoke to any of the towns folk since she had come here.

“So you ahll seem to know me, but you hahve yet to sahy who you might be.” Zecora asked.

“Oh right.” the Dragon blinked. “I'm Twilight Sparkle, this is my brother Rahs, the dog is my other brother Spike. The Giant is Applebloom, and the tiny one is Applejack, The quiet one is Fluttershy, the not quiet one that you still can't understand ,is Pinkie Pie. The Diamond Dog is Rarity and the one who's going to get a rock to the face if she doesn't stop staring at my brothers butt is Rainbow Dash,”

“But it's such a nice butt.” Dash whined ducking away before Twilight made good on her threat.

“Twilight Spahrkle, I hahve heahrd of you.” Zecora nodded recalling Cheerilee mentioning the new town librarian and former student of Princess Celestia.” Ahlthough thaht you ahre ah Drahgon is something new.”

“I'm not a Dragon I’m a Unicorn. “Twilight sighed. “ I have no idea what caused this.”

“ It is from ah plahnt cahlled poison joke. Zecora offered. “ It wahs whaht was trudged through yesterdahy by you pony folk.”

“Poison Joke?, What is that even I’ve never read about it in any of my books.” Twilight mused.

“It is ah plahnt found only in the Everfree. There ahre only a few books thaht mention it, one is even co ahuthored by me.” Zecora mentioned.

“You wrote a book?” Twilight gasped only for Rahs to prod her in the side.

“Focus now, fanfilly later.” Rahs sighed. “So is there a cure for this?”

“There is a cure that hahs been found, though if you just wahit a week the effect would't be ahround.” Zecora explained.

“Forget that .” Rainbow Dash fussed. “ Bonus of the new hotness aside, I’m not staying grounded for a week.”

Zecora rose and headed back into her home, she came out a few moments later carrying a book.

“Ooh a book. I looked all through my books and didn't find anything!” Twilight smiled as she was offered the book.

“Ahh that is quite the pity, that you do not hahve it in your librahry.” Zecora smiled pointing out her name under another on the front page. 'Zecora Mganga.'

Twilight went from excitement at the prospect of a new book, to confusion, then anger, as she saw what the title was.

“Daassssshhhhh.” Twilight growled slipping out of Rahs grip leaving him with the book.

“Supernaturals, natural remedies and cure alls that are simply super.” Rahs read. “ Huh... neat.”

Rahs flipped through the book with the others looking over his shoulder and Applebloom looming over them all. Rainbow Dash however was not present as she was running away from a pissed off dragon that was rapidly gaining on her.

“A herbal bubble bath? Oh that sounds lovely, though where are we going to find one in Appleblooms size?” Rarity questioned.

“Ehh Twilight has a shrink spell.” Spike offered. “Get her back to normal and she can shrink Applebloom down until the weeks over or until she fits in a tub.”

“Afore or after she murders Dash?” Applejack questioned.

“As she said before there would be no murder.” Rahs stated as Rainbow Dash yelped. “ A bit of maiming seems okay though.”

“ While we can't speak for the whole town, and probably not even the rest of the group.” Twilight glared at the others, mostly Applejack, as they walked back towards town. “ The library will be open for you.... during normal business hours anyway.”

“As will my boutique, though I’m afraid I don't have much in my line that would do you much good out here.” Rarity considered. “I do have gems though if you need those for something. I will offer a discount of course both for your help and as way of an apology for all this.”

“Why do you live out here any way?” Spike asked curiously. “ And how even?”

“Given the towns reahction to me I would think that cleahr.” Zecora sighed. “Though on the plus side, now ahll my ingrediahnts are neahr. Ahs for the how, thaht one's eahsy too, mock ups ahnd strong scents ahre the best wahy to shout boo.”

“Hmm traps and wards, okay I can see that.” Spike considered.

“Amd ah neffr tj fakw abeolme fo onyill arfy hor hue!” Pinkie Pie spritzed. “ Anahm forry ahobt mhgind a fong ahont hue.”

“What?” Rainbow Dash asked from the other side of the group from Twilight.

“She said she needs to have a welcome to Ponyville party for Zecora.” Fluttershy Barry Whited. “ And she apologizes for making a song about you.”

“ Not to ahdd to ahny of your feahrs, but it's a little lahte, ah've been here for yeahrs.” Zecora added.

“Well hopefully everything will get better from this point. “ Twilight commented. “ Thank you for your help in finding the ingredients and for loaning me your copy of the book. It shouldn't take long to mix this up. I would also love for you to come by at some point just to talk shop, I’ve not met anyone who's a practitioning alchemist.”

“I've a few questions too.” Rahs added.

“Ahs I sahid to you before, the mahne style is nahtural not from a store.” Zecora smirked recalling the story they told of the dress and the mental note she made note not to anger the little Dragon, or flirt with the stallion.

“Not that, just your reaction when we first.... never mind.” Rahs frowned. “ I'll ask later.”

“If you wish, thaht is fine, but there is your town ahnd you ahre home before supper time.” Zecora chuckled turning to head back off into the woods with a wave leaving the gathered ponies heading back to her home before it got too dark.

While the visit had been a bit stressful not knowing what was going on it had proved rather interesting. Perhaps the loss of her mixture today was not as big a loss as she had thought, with more than one pony in the town accepting of her she could get the ingredients she needed that much faster to try the brew again.

This had turned out to be a fairly good day. Hopefully they would get the other towns folk to calm down around her. There were a number of restaurants in the town she wanted to try, it had been far too long since she had any good chowder.

Author's Note:

This one was re written at least twice. I got to a certain point and realized i was making it too dark and not funny enough and i had to re work it.

Zecora was going to be initially much angrier about what was going on and the discussion would be much much longer and it was starting to bore me as it edged into 6k words so i scrapped it.

The reveal of Zecora having a bostentonia accent was a idea that hit me mid way through writing this and it was beautiful enough that i had to roll with it. There is a reason for that too one i plan to explain in the epilogues.

PreviousChapters Next