• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 3,140 Views, 54 Comments

A Solemn Summer Night - LunaTheFox



Applejack is on her death bed and wants to spend her last night with Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
11
 54
 3,140

Twenty-Six

“Rainbow Dash! Applejack!”

“Raiiiiiinbow!”

Rainbow Dash woke with a start to the unwelcome voice, clenching her teeth and covering her ears.

Go away.

“Applejaaaaack!”

Rainbow tightened her grip around Applejack, pressing her head against Applejack's neck. It was of no use.

“Rainbow!” came the offending voice once more.

Ugh.

Rainbow lifted her head and scanned the area for the source of her irritation.

Ah. Twilight.

She didn't bother to respond, simply laying her head back down against Applejack, attempting sleep again.

Twilight trotted around for a few minutes before finally spotting her quarry.

“There you are, Rainbow!”

Horseapples.

Rainbow did her best not to move, keeping her eyes closed and breathing shallow.

Maybe she'll leave me alone if she thinks I'm sleeping.

Twilight closed the distance up the hill between herself and Rainbow.

“We were so worried about you when we heard that you two left the hospital last night. The doctors said you just took off and had no idea where you were go—“

She stopped dead in her tracks as her eyes alighted on the two ponies under the tree. One still and unmoving, the other in what appeared to be fits of restless sleep. She bit her lip and took in a deep, quavering breath.

Rainbow's ear twitched.

“Rain—“ Twilight swallowed. “Rainbow?”

That's what I want, right?

Forcing her legs to move, Twilight made her way to Rainbow's side and wrapped her front legs around Rainbow's neck, nudging her awake.

Rainbow opened her eyes and glared at Twilight. They were red and swollen.

“What, Twilight? What?” she seethed through her teeth, her wings splaying in a show of hostility.

“I'm... I'm so sorry.”

Sure, whatever.

“Just leave me alone.”

“No.”

No!? NO!?

Rainbow grunted and rolled off of Applejack's back, onto the opposite side from where Twilight was, pressing her face into Applejack's side.

“Rainbow Dash.” Twilight's voice was soft and inviting, though admittedly defeated. “Please? Listen to me?”

Another growl.

No.

Twilight opened her mouth to speak again, then promptly closed it, opting instead to move to Rainbow’s side once more.

Silence.

“Go away.”

Twilight shook her head. “I’m not leaving. We don’t have to talk if you don’t want to, but I’m not going anywhere.”

Rainbow was tempted to buck Twilight.

What’s the use? Stupid arch-mage of Canterlot would just stop it.

Twilight replaced her legs around Rainbow, albeit cautiously.

Rainbow tensed up at the touch, but soon relented and relaxed as her mind came to slow realization.

I...

I don’t want to be alone.

An hour passed, during which Rainbow moved herself away from Applejack and into Twilight’s embrace, inch by agonizing inch.

Twilight ran her hooves through Rainbow’s mane and along her back, coaxing her further away from Applejack.

Another hour gone.

“Twilight?”

Twilight jumped at the sound.

“Yeah, Rainbow?”

Rainbow flattened her ears. “I’m sorry.”

“Shhh.”

What?

Ugh. Stupid. She can’t read minds.

“What?” she repeated.

“You have nothing to be sorry for.”

“But I—”

“No, Rainbow.” Twilight placed a hoof on Rainbow’s chin, lifting it up, forcing their eyes to meet. “I understand.”

Do you really?

Twilight cast a glance over at Applejack, heaving a sigh as Rainbow glared at her.

Of course she does.

“Sorry,” whispered Rainbow, softening her expression.

Quit being so selfish.

Twilight stood up and nudged Rainbow to follow suit.

“I have something for you. Well, two things, really. If... if you’re ready.”

Rainbow picked herself off the ground and stretched her legs. She stared at Applejack.

“I... can’t go.”

“Here, Rainbow. You left this at the hospital.”

Twilight focused on a spell, leaving Rainbow to ponder what she forgot. Twilight had no bags and certainly wasn’t levitating anything.

A horn glow and a short ‘pop’ later, a familiar hat found itself on the ground in front of Rainbow. A certain hat belonging to a certain orange earth pony.

Her hat.

Rainbow’s mouth fell open as she let an almost breathless cry escape her throat.

I forgot her hat.

“I forgot her hat.”

“No, Rainbow. It’s not her hat.”

“What are you talking about!? Of course it’s her hat! Look at it! I just left it there. So careless of me. Why did I forget her hat? How could I forget her hat?”

Rainbow hung her head and kicked the ground in frustration.

I forgot her hat.

“Rainbow. It’s your hat now. Look.”

Twilight levitated the hat up to Rainbow and flipped it over, revealing a piece of paper taped to the inside. It was partially crumpled and stained yellow, the writing a complete mess; barely legible.

Rainbow held the note, mouthing the words as she read them.


It’s yours now, Rainbow. Please take good care of it.

Love,

Applejack


Rainbow clenched the hat in her teeth and in one swift motion, tossed it atop her own head. She bent over and kissed Applejack’s forehead before moving her to rest against the tree.

“Thank you, Applejack.”

She turned to Twilight and took in a deep breath, steadying herself.

“You had something else for me?”

“It’s back at the library, yes.” Twilight hesitated, blinking a few tears from her eyes. “I’m so, so sorry, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow walked over to Twilight and stood next to her, not taking her eyes off of Applejack.

“Me too, Twilight. Me too.”

They walked together in silence, each step heavy and unwilling against the hard earth.

Upon reaching the library, Twilight pushed open the door and let Rainbow in, only to find the other three of their friends standing inside.

Twilight looked at every one of them, every one of them looking right back, and shook her head, confirming what they all feared.

Rainbow stepped in and found her way to a couch in the back of the room, collapsing upon it. One by one, Rainbow’s friends followed her to the couch, a look of shocked disbelief shared between them.

“I’ll be right back,” said Twilight, disappearing up the stairs.

Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie all gently pulled Rainbow off of the couch and into a group hug, whispering their condolences, trying to maintain some form of composure. When the hug finally broke, Rarity turned her attention to Rainbow’s mane— with minimal fixing, of course— while Fluttershy went back for another hug. The poor pony was almost worse off than Rainbow, shaking as she clung to Rainbow.

Pinkie slouched into the kitchen and returned with a plate of steaming hot muffins, offering Rainbow some breakfast.

Rainbow pushed the plate away. “Sorry Pinkie, I’m just not hungry.”

Her stomach told a different story.

“Fine. I’ll eat one.”

A moment later, Twilight returned, levitating a rather large cardboard box with a single envelope on top of it, her mane completely disheveled. She sniffled quietly as she made her way down to join the rest of the group, placing the box in front of Rainbow, then joining Fluttershy in hugging Rainbow.

“It’s a personal letter; to you from Applejack,” explained Twilight. “We can all leave if you want us to.”

“NO!” Rainbow cringed at the sound of her own voice. “I mean, no. Please don’t go. All of you. You’re... you were her friends, too. You should hear what she has to say.”

“Rainbow, you don’t have to do that. We’ll all understand.”

“I want to... and I really don’t want to be alone right now.”

Rainbow took the envelope, which simply read ‘For Rainbow Dash’, between her teeth and tore it open. She took in a slow breath, then began to read...


My dearest Rainbow Dash,

Twenty-six years ago.

Twenty-six years ago, we stood together at the altar.

Twenty-six years ago, we had the whole world before us; we seemed unstoppable.

Twenty-six years ago, I wanted to do something special for you.

I know you’re not a materialistic pony; neither am I. I spent weeks trying to figure out what I could give you that would mean more than anything else. I know I didn’t have to, but I fretted over finding that perfect something that you’d want and could cherish forever; nothing came to mind. In the end, I asked Twilight for her advice and I didn’t think much of her answer at the time.

“A letter?”, I asked, “really?”

Heh, yeah. A letter. She nodded and told me that it would be something special to share someday with you. A sealed letter— sealed the day I wrote it— to be opened when we grew old. I had to agree. It seemed so perfect. So completely... us. Memories; they’re immaterial, yet they mean so much to both of us.

Twenty-six years ago, I wrote my first letter in that big box that you see before you.

But life has a way of dealing an unfair hand, taking everything that you hold dear away from you.

They told me I have some kind of degenerative muscle and bone disease. I never much cared for learning its name. All I know is that there’s no way to cure it. All the doctors could do is slow it down.

Why I’m telling you this, I don’t know. You’re sleeping next to me and you know what’s happening. I don’t need to tell you all about it again. I’m sure that after everything that’s happened, you don’t want to hear it.

I guess... I’m just scared. I never wanted to admit it, especially not to you, but that’s the truth. I’m terrified that I’ll fall asleep and never wake up. Even more so that I’m not asleep when my heart finally gives out. I’m scared of the pain. I’m scared of never seeing you again. I’m scared to think of what you’ll be like when I’m gone.

I know you might think that everything’s over, but it’s not. You have four other great friends who will be there for you. I wouldn’t trust the care of my Dash to anypony else. Please don’t push them away. I know it’ll be hard for you, but you’re not alone— and don’t think for one second that you are.

Twenty-six years ago I decided that one letter wasn’t enough.

I could only fit so much into each one. So many words. So few pages. So little time.

So I decided that each letter should be a story. A story of us. A story of something we’ve done together. Some are short and some are long. A story to remember us by. As I finished each letter, I sealed it in an envelope and brought it to Twilight to keep safe. She placed it in that box and kept it in the library for all these years.

Twenty-four years from now, we’d open them all one by one.

We’d read them together and remember what we’ve had throughout our lives: the adventures, the fun, and yes, even the romantic nights we shared. From our honeymoon to the day you became a Wonderbolt, to that time when the apple harvest was ruined and you were there for me.

Now, though, I won’t be able to read them with you. I won’t get to see the smile on your face as we read... well, never mind. You’ll get to that one eventually. You’ll get to all of them.

I wish we had more time together. I feel so greedy for saying it, but I want so much more time with you. The doctors say I have a week left.

I asked Twilight to keep this letter safe with her, to only let you read it and all the others after I’m gone. Think of it as my last gift to you.

And one last thing. In case you missed it, I want you to have my hat. I don’t want it to be stuck in the ground with me. Instead, wear it all you like, hang it up and look at it, do whatever you want with it. All I ask is that you take good care of it, just like you took good care of me.

Twenty-six years ago, I loved you.

And I still do.

Applejack


Rainbow let go of the letter and simply stared at it.

“She’s... she’s really gone, isn’t she?”

Nopony said a word, but instead held Rainbow in another group hug.

When they finally let go, Rainbow nudged them aside just enough to take the box in her hooves. Carefully, she opened it and saw hundreds of letters— each of them sealed, each of them showing their age, each addressed the same as the first. A quick flick through them indicated that they were arranged by date.

Typical Twilight.

“Do you guys mind... if I read one now?” asked Rainbow.

“Of course not, dear.” replied Rarity, her voice almost hollow.

The group all snuggled closer to each other on the couch in the library on that cool, summer morning, casting its orange glow through the library windows— Rainbow plucked the first letter from the box— a... fortunately orange glow.

Maybe everything is going to be alright after all.

She tore open the envelope and began to read...

Comments ( 32 )

Would you look at that. Chapter two! And this is the end of this particular story, but stay tuned, as I have plenty of pre-sequels (sort of chronologically before this... but not) planned for this. Eventually. :ajsmug:

Edit: No, that 2,250 word count wasn't planned either. Damn, I'm good.

ALL OF MY FEELS! ALL OF THEM. I AM TRYING SO HARD NOT TO CRY RIGHT NOW YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW :pinkiesad2:

934469
Glad you enjoyed it?

...you did enjoy it, right? :applejackunsure:

It's not hard to make me cry at a sad story, but it's hard to make me want more. That's what you did. Great job.

And chapter two was well executed.

Stop making me sad. Sad Church is not fun Church.

But I liked the story :fluttershysad:

934655 Yes I did...just...HHHHHHHHHHHHHG!

...What? I'm not crying, I just got sweat in my eye. That's all. :fluttercry:

Oh, darn. I don't normally cry while reading fanfics, though I have very recently since on this sight. The ending was what got me. So sweet of Applejack to make all those letters for memories. A nice story, really, though obviously terribly sad. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find a tissue box.

935508
Thank you! That means a lot coming from you.

935594
Thanks, and I'll try to make the next one happier. Well, the ending will be happier.

936670
Go on, let it all out. You'll feel better, I promise. :)

Oh pony, how sad. :raritycry: All my tears, and an up-vote.

I wish you showed us what was in those letters, but either way, the story itself was beautiful and I mean that 100%
Thank you for the wonderful read :heart:

938288
Thanks! My next stories will be happier, I swear.

938550
Well, you're in for a treat, because I *am* going to be showing you those letters! Every one of my stories in this 'universe' will start (and maybe end... haven't decided yet) with another one of the letters from the box. In fact, this ending will lead directly into the story I have planned, which I should be starting in earnest soon.
I'm really glad you liked it and I hope you'll stick around for more. :twilightsmile:

:fluttercry::fluttercry::raritycry: Many tears were shed. Good story, can't wait for the rest.

964569
Thanks, and I can't wait for the rest either. It's on its way, but I have family visiting until the 31st. I was planning on being able to get more writing done while they were here, but just the opposite has happened.

964898
Ahh. Dead Island. The music was the only good thing to come out of that game. And thanks! :ajsmug:

1232984
That is high praise, indeed! Knowing some of the preconceptions this fandom has about sad fics, I'm glad I could deliver something worth reading that you've enjoyed. I try very hard to find and explore original ideas or bring new facets to existing ones. I've noticed the same thing about ships; most fics involve ponies getting together and few are about the relationship itself after the fact. It's for this reason I'll be expanding this universe a lot in the future (that Applejack's hat fic is in this one). Killing Applejack was very hard to write, and it still hurts to think about it, but that's also where I draw my inspiration and moods from. 'Tis a necessary evil. I can't thank you enough for leaving such fantastic encouragement. Whenever I feel like I'm not doing something well enough, reading your comments brings some of that desire to continue back.

I tried resisting the manly tears that now flow down my cheeks... why, I don't know. This story was just straight up touching. Hits ya right in the feels. :fluttercry:

That's okay. I didn't need any of my feels anyway. :raritycry:

I started crying halfway through the letter. My god I am such a sap. It killed me made me crumble hurt so much was so. sad. :raritydespair: You're so good at this angst thing! :D There is seriously nothing I love more than a good dose of AppleDash angst. :pinkiesmile:

Oh my gosh. So sad. But so so so lovely. Must find a hankie now.... :fluttercry:

1703686
You shouldn't try to resist. Sometime you've just gotta let it all out, y'know? i.imgur.com/VK1CV.png

1756362
You might be interested in some of the plans I have for this, then! I probably won't get around to it for a long while, but the feedback I received for this fic was extensive. So far I have things planned that will likely double, if not triple the length of this and add a whole lot more substance. And yes, sometimes a heaping pile of angst is just what one needs. i.imgur.com/fIvet.png

1818625
i.imgur.com/u3SP8.png Many manly tears were shed by the author as well.

This story was very sad. Tears were shed and a heart was broken. The letter thing was amazing. I really want to read the sequel that you have for this but the link says that the story doesn't exist. Great story though. I really look forward to reading more from you. Keep up the great stories.

2246146
Oh, whoops. I forgot to remove the link. I've since stopped writing that sequel and I'll be incorporating a lot more into this story whenever I get around to rewriting it. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

2246887
I look forward to the rewritten edition of this. You will be adding to a truly heartwrenching story. I wish you well in your future writings.

I feel like my heart is literally being twisted back and forth and then released like a slingshot, but the bindings won't let go. Thank you for such a wonderful story. Closest to crying I've been in so long.

SHL

I almost cried in the middle of the class reading this marvelous story :fluttercry:

3482649 I DID CRY IN CLASS :fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry: HOW DO YOU CONTROLLER MY FEALS LIKE THIS? I BAWLED IN CLASS AND GOT SENT HOME? I'M STILL CRYING! RIP APPLEJACK :fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry:

I'm bawling my eyes eyes out right now. And that started when I read Applejack's note about her hat.

Hey Kraze!
I've read your story and done a reader-orientated review of it, which can be found here: http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/424833/read-it-later-494-happy-new-year
If you want a private, author-orientated review, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to help.
Cheers!
--Bulbasaur

Well, this was a touching story! :raritycry:

Sure, there are grammatical errors and some odd placements of words here and there, but it still didn't prevent me from enjoying it!

To be honest, I'm a sucker for sad-fics, but I don't usually read them often as some are poorly executed. Yours is a different story, literally!

I can't believe I only found you until now! Its stories like yours that inspire me to write my own stories!

Can't wait to read more! :twilightsmile:

Comment posted by Fishfingers-and-custard deleted Feb 16th, 2018

Wow that was so sad story it really kind of reminds me of the movie Walk to Remember such a sad and very romantic movie nice job on it

And yeah the song kind of blends with it a little

Boy that was sad! :fluttercry:
But also really sweet

Login or register to comment