• Published 9th Jul 2012
  • 2,191 Views, 153 Comments

Lights, Camera... - Smoking Gun



The Mane Six and the rest of Ponyville get caught up in production of the newest superhero movie

  • ...
5
 153
 2,191

Chapter 7: What's so Funny About Love, Tolerance and the Equestrian Way?

Chapter 7: What's so Funny About Love, Tolerance and the Equestrian Way?


"Princess! If I knew you were coming, I would have-"

"That's quite alright, Twilight." Thank goodness Celestia spoke up. Twilight wasn't quite sure how to finish that sentence. "I know my apperance here is a little impromptu, but it's quite urgent."

"Urgent?"

"Yes."

"A superhero movie is urgent for the Princess?"

"Hey, he's a big hero." Celestia smiled as she turned towards Final Cut. "Final, before I begin, I'd like to have a word with you."

"Of course, Princess." Celestia led the way to a small back area behind one of the unused sets. Cut nudged Twilight on his way over. "You're coming too, Sparkle."

The three entered the secluded area, Cut looking around to make sure nopony had followed them. "Thank you for allowing me to do this discreetly, Final."

"If by 'discreetly', you're referring to your flash of light entrance, no problem."

"Oh, shush." Celestia giggled a little and rolled her eyes. Twilight wasn't certain that what she saw just happened. "I'm just trying to thank you for not shouting to the heavens what's happening here."

"No need to thank me. We've got a little dragon on set, throwing the secrets of movie on his blog anyway."

"Excuse me," Twilight interjected. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have to know; why are you here? You. Here. Of all places." Final Cut snickered to himself, Celestia joined in. "And just what is so funny?"

"You didn't read the script, did you?" Twilight's librarian responsibilities had kept her from doing much else. "It doesn't matter. The point is; Celestia has a scene to shoot."

"What?!"

"Calm down, Sparkle. She's just shooting a quick 'passing of the torch' and then she's out of here."

"And that other small matter I have to attend to," Celestia added.

"Yeah, that too."

"What is a 'passing of the torch?"

"Rainbow has her first scene as Sweet Wings coming up. And what better way to welcome her to the franchise, then by having her interact with the original Sweet Wings?"

Twilight slowly moved her eyes towards Celestia. "You... were the original Sweet Wings?"

"When I was a teenager, I volunteered to be in the movie and... well, Final knows how hard it is to say no to a Princess."

Doing his best Celestia impression; "One of these days, Cut. Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!"

Celestia playfully punched Cut. "Oh, shut up."

Did... did the Princess just say 'shut up'?, thought Sparkle, her jaw hanging loose after seeing that. "I, had no idea you were-"

"It's fine, Twilight. Most of those films have been damaged and lost in time. I would have returned for the role, but Cut think I'm much too old for it."

"Nonsense, Princess! Now, please, don't let us keep you. You've got somepony to talk to as I remember."

"You're right. Talk to you two soon!" Celestia took off, flying to the other side of the studio lot.

Cut leaned in towards Twilight. "She really is."

"Excuse me! But where you flirting with the Princess?!"

Cut looked at Twilight with a smile and one cocked eyebrow. "Sparkle, haven't we established that I'm way out of everypony's league?"


"Can you believe it? I'm gonna shoot a scene with the Princess!" Rainbow was dancing in the air around Soarin, who was still in his 'Mild Mannered' costume. "Best. Movie. Ever!"

"I'm sure it'll be in the highlight reel, Rainbow."

"Are you making fun of me?"

Soarin started to shake and sweat. "No, I- I wasn't- I mean- It would be-"

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "I'm messing with you, man. I know you're in character, but you're starting to turn into a real dork."

"And what would be so wrong with that?! Hmm?"

Rainbow started to shake and sweat. "No, I- I wasn't - I mean- It would be-" Rainbow stopped when she noticed Soarin smirking. "Oh, buck you."

"Buck you too."

"I hope I'm not interrupting." Celestia touched down in front of the pegasi.

"Princess! This is gonna be awesome! I can't believe we're doing a scene together! We're gonna be zipping over the sky, blowing stuff up, and we'll be like 'whoosh', 'boosh'. 'crackcoom'!"

Soarin reached up put a hoof in Rainbow's mouth. "You'll have to excuse her, Princess. She, like the rest of us, are very excited that you're here."

"That's alright. But, I'm actually here to speak with you, Soarin."

...

"What?" Rainbow's words were muffled by Soarin's hoof.

"You're trailer?"

"Umm... yes. Yes, of course, Princess!" Soarin flew to his trailer and opened the door for Celestia to enter. Her stature made it difficult to squeeze through the trailer door, but she made it in. Soarin followed, closing the door behind him.

"So, what can I do for you, your highness?"

"I'd like you to answer a question."

"Anything."

"What do you know about Super-Stallion?"

...

"I... beg your pardon?"


"Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! Rainbow Dash and the Princess are gonna shoot a scene together! They're gonna be zipping over the sky, blowing stuff up, and we'll be like 'whoosh', 'boosh'. 'crackcoom'!"

Rainbow extended a hoof straight into Pinkie's mouth, shutting her up. "We've covered that part, Pinkie."

"Oh my. the Princess, being here is quite an honor. I'm giddy with excitement." Fluttershy let out a weak little giggle, not quite 'giddy with excitement', but that was Fluttershy.

"I'm sure she's just here to bask in the glory of fame and glory, as I'm sure we're all going to be soon." Rarity was trying to use the industry-standard mane curlers. Although she was struggling to use the needlessly complicated gadget.

"Yes, the Princess of all the land, needed a movie, to get attention." Twilight rolled her eyes in exhaustion. She a long enough day already. The Princess was always welcome around her, but she had enough of today.

"Seems ta me like that's the case. Ah, on the other hand am quite happy to let you guys handle the big publicity stuff." Applejack spoke as though she wasn't wearing a giant apple costume, with 'Sweet Apple Acres' written across it. Her hat had been moved from the top of her head, to the top of the apple.

"Oh laidies!" The girls turned to find Refined Taste with the 'Top Secret' case from earlier.

"Let me guess; you come bearing gifts?" Twilight asked.

"Hay no! These are you assignments!" Refined Taste opened the case. In it were several slots. Each of the slots had a suit bag folded up inside it. One of the slots was noticeably vacant.

"Are those supposed to be our costumes?"

"I don't know why we have to wear bags in the movie," Pinkie thought out-loud.

"That cotton candy mane of yours has started reach into your brain, Miss Pie." Refined lifted each of the bags out and threw it to the girls who were going to be acting. "Take care of those under penalty of death!"

Twilight unzipped her bag to find a pair of spectacles, a red tie and a white, button up shirt. "I have to protect this with my life? I could buy about 20 of these in the market right now for very little."

"That was tailor maid by the studio specifically for you and the rest of the cast. I'd tell you why it's so special besides that, but only the loser fan-boys will get it."

"How did they even get my measurements?" Rainbow snickered to herself. "What?"

"Maybe-"

"Don't even-!"

"- Final Cut gave it too them."

The rest of the main six, even Refined started laughing. Twilight, on the other hoof, just pouted. "You girls really need some new material."

"Aww, cheer up, Twi. Once this movie's over, you two will have plenty of time to 'film' yall antics." A bit raunchy of a joke for Applejack, but she knew an opening when she saw one. "It'll probably win more awards then this here picture show."

Twilight looked back down at her costume. "Not that I'm admitting to anything, but at least it would have more imaginative costumes. What do you think Rainbow?... Rainbow?"

The girls saw Rainbow, staring down at her costume through the unzipped back. In the reflection of her wide eyes, you could see the custom cutie mark on the flank; a stylized 'W' made up entirely of feathers. "It's. So. Awesome." A single tear rolled down her eye, landing on the cutie mark.


"I'm simply curious how much you actually know." Celestia had taken a seat on the floor of the dusty trailer. Soarin was still standing up.

"Well, he's Super-Stallion. Everyone knows about him."

"Then refresh my memory, please."

"Um... well, his birth name is 'Pon- E', he's secret identity is 'Mild Mannered', he's a reporter, he can shoot flames from his nose, lift a truck over his head with one hoof, he can generate great winds with is wings, he can't tell a l-"

"I'm afraid I may not have made myself clear, sorry about that." Soarin gulped with nerves. The Princess was known for being kind and fair, but he still had never interacted with her before. He had no idea what he was in for. "Let me ask you a different question; who are you?"

"I'm certain you know who I am Princess."

Celestia chuckled. "I mean, what kind of stallion are you, Soarin? What makes you so special?"

"I'm... I'm me."

"A perfect start. Keep going."

"I'm... I'm about fair play. I'm an athlete, it's all about fairness and equality and sportsmanship."

"I see. Please, continue."

Soarin searched for what to say next. "I hate bullies. Growing up as the athlete in high school, I was the biggest bully flight academy had ever seen. I didn't care who I stepped on. I took kids money, stuffed them in lockers and I didn't think twice about it. And then I made it to college. And when I tried that stuff there, I nearly got expelled the first day. When I took a minute to step back and look at it, I realized how horrible I was to the ponies I used to know. How I could have been better."

"Hmm?"

"So yeah, I hate bullies, but I'd never hurt one."

"What are the two greatest virtues of Equestria?"

"Love and tolerance?"

"Do you know why I chose love and tolerance?"

"Because 'mean and bitchy' was taken?"

Celestia couldn't help but laugh. "Please, sit." Soarin sat in front of Celestia, smiling. "When I was a filly, my Father gave me copies of Super-Stallion comics that he found in Canterlot. I read them and I saw what kind of pony Super-Stallion was. He was a hero, he stood up to those who do the world harm, he would treat everyone equel and give even his worse enemies a fair chance at redemption. When my Father sat my Sister and I down, he asked what kind of rulers we wanted to be. I showed him one of the Super-Stallion comics he gave me. The story was about Super-Stallion never giving into the villains and sinking to their level. And just when it looked like the end, all the ponies he inspired rose up, saved him and nursed him back to health. I wanted to be Super-Stallion more then anything. He was the greatest pony anypony could be. Not a hero, not a savior... but a symbol of hope. An inspiration to us all. And that's what I've always tried to be."

Soarin wasn't sure what to say to all that. "That sounds like something I could never live up to."

Celestia smiled warmly. "That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Nopony can 'live up to' Super-Stallion. It's all about inspiration and being the best pony you can be. It sounds like you're grasping the true gravity of what you're doing on this set." Soarin started to choke up, letting tears pour down his face. Celestia wiped the tears from his face with her hoof. "I knew Final Cut would make the right choice."

Overcome with humility, Soarin bowed. "Thank you, your highness."

"Come outside. I have something to give you."

"Oh... ok."

"Wait, before you go, get dressed." Soarin looked over at the couch in his trailer and saw the closed costume bag on his couch.

"Sure thing."


"I should be used to them being late, but I'm not!" Refined paced the open field next to the studio lot. Everypony, including Princess Celestia was waiting in the field.

"He just needs a minute. It's going to be worth the wait, my dear."

"I'll take your word for it."

Twilight and Rainbow Dash approached the Princess. "Hey, Princess. What exactly are we waiting for?"

WHOOSH!

"That, Rainbow!" Soarin flew majestically from the studio lot, over to the open field... wearing the Super-Stallion costume. It fitted him perfectly in every possible way. It felt like they were looking at the actual Super-Stallion. And to top it off, there's was a beautiful sunset right behind him. "Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!" Rainbow's eyes widened in disbelief.

Celestia approached him. "Consider this a gift from you're no.1 fan."

Soarin bowed his head and closed his eyes.. Celestia lowered her horn until it tapped him on the top of his head. A small, yellow light illuminated from her horn before dying down. Celestia stood back. Soarin raised his head, but didn't open his eyes. Everypony stared in confusion as nothing happened. Twilight turned to the Princess.

"Excuse me, Princess. But what-?"

"3... 2... 1..."

Soarin's eyes shot open, but his pupils were gone. In their place, was the Super-Stallion cutie mark. He flapped his wings as he started to hover in the air. Suddenly, several small tornadoes started to generate behind him, they were coming from his wings. He took the deepest breath he possibly could, and exhaled fire from his nostrils, burning the grass he was standing on a moment ago. He's wings stood still...

SLAM!

He slammed on the ground beneath him, cracking the earth around him and shaking the foundation of all of Ponyville. The whole cast stood in awe. Rainbow started to cry out of awesomeness. Final Cut, however, just stood and smiled. Celestia approached Soarin, now having his pupils restored. He looked up at her and smiled.

"My Princess."

"My hero."


Next: The Face That Launched a Thousand Shippers!