• Published 2nd Mar 2017
  • 1,971 Views, 163 Comments

Hard To Find The Right Words - Nameless Narrator



There are thousands of stories about changelings lost and broken after the explosion ending the invasion of Canterlot. After all, there were thousands of changelings caught in it. Some found love or peace, and some found death. I'm just one of many.

  • ...
2
 163
 1,971

The End

“Fur-”

*Bzzt!*

*CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!*

“Uuugh… my ears...”

“She’s alive! Who cast the shield spell?”

“I WILL RIP YOU TO PIECES, COCKROACH!”

“Still not deaf enough to miss that one.”

“SILENCE!”

“Now here’s a voice I remember. Well, death, here I come. Last week’s been a fun detour, though.”

“Your Highness! How can you be protecting her? She admitted to murder.”

“Princess Celestia, it wasn’t Fury’s f-”

“Shut up, Crest.”

“Dear Star Trail, this is exactly why I couldn’t let you fry her with lightning. First, she admitted it, which is already an unusual thing. Second, here we have a pony rushing to defend her. A pony not under direct control, I must add. There is more to this than meets the eye.”

“B-b-b-but Puff...”

“I am very well aware about your squire and especially of the reasons why you wanted him to serve you rather than put him through classic training.”

“To make things clear, Crest iiiis a bit under my-”

“Be quiet, Fury! For the love of Celestia, if you value my friendship at least a little you’ll stop trying to ki- to do whatever you’re trying to do and shut up for once.”

“I’m not comfortable being used as a figure of speech.”

“I apologize, your Highness.”

“Apology accepted. Now, enlighten me about Star Trail’s squire’s demise.”

“I did-”

“You first, miss changeling.”

“There isn’t too much to say, really. I used Puff’s soft heart after he came to feed me when nopony else did of his own free will, and I pumped him full of my venom to gain complete control over him. When the changelings revealed themselves, he acted as my guide, shield, and hooves as we rescued the police squad and escaped. That’s the long and short of it. If he wasn’t completely under my control he might not have agreed to help me without any proof other than my witness based on changeling ability to sense others.”

“You...”

“Calm down, Star Trail. What Fury is refusing to say is that it was me who killed Puff.”

“Damn it, Crest! I’m trying to make you look good here, and you screw it all up.”

“I let my guard down, and when a changeling disguised as a pegasus hit on me in a bar, I… being very unlucky in my personal life, let her get close to me, put me under her control, and eventually killed Puff when Fury and he tried to break the changeling’s control over me.”

“Crest, how about you practice what you preach for once? Now, if you value anything from the last week, you’ll stay silent from now on. You, big whitey!”

*Gasps.*

“Please, at least call princess Celestia by her name… pleeeease.”

“You will address the princess correctly, bug!”

“Correctly? Alright. You, year’s worth of lunch for a whole changeling hive-”

“To the torture chambers with her!”

“Am I really that fat? I’ve been trying to do what I can in my spare time. Also, Star Trail, Canterlot castle doesn’t have a torture chamber.”

“Aaaand now I feel bad. You’ve pulled a Puff, alicorn. Well done.”

“Anger rarely solves issues, miss FURY.”

“Half-hearted Fury, if you will, pon- ali- sunbut- princess.”

“Now, while I enjoy teasing my guards myself, I would like to know everything this time. Your situation is not as… dire as you might think.”

“What do you mean?”

“...you are by far not the first changeling to be in this situation, although I rarely get involved personally...”

“Really?”

“...yes, so calm down. Observers are already near Riverside. I dispatched them as soon as the message got to me, and there are Royal Guards as well as some paladins on the way...”

*Long breath.*

“So, miss Fury. A proper recount of the situation, if you will?”

“Everything I said was true, but there’s a bit… more. I knew about the changelings in Riverside before our escape. My original plan was to get Puff under my control, use him to gain influence over other members of the police, and then present them as slaves to the regrouping changelings in order to gain favor, to prove that I was still an asset to the hive even in my shape.”

“But you are now here, and one of them is trying to defend you. What changed?”

“I realized I had too much to lose and very little to gain. You ponies are hella tasty.”

“Friendship is a powerful force.”

“Foodship, more like. Don’t get ideas above your station, princess. You ponies are my food, my delicious, delicious food that takes a lot of care and effort to prepare.”

“An interesting point of view, but I think I understand.”

“Seriously, I remember your plot from the throne room. On my own, I could live off of that for a DECADE!”

“...almost, Fury, almost there, and then you had to say it...”

“Oh shush, Crest. I can hear your mumbling even with all the growling and shifting of the pissed off guards surrounding me.”

“Your Highness, can I say something?”

“As long as it is not about my posterior, Common Crest.”

“Fury had every opportunity to sell us out, but even if it partially was to save her own hide- chitin, she didn’t. She’s a foul-mouthed nuisance, but, and I realize a different changeling made me do the worst thing I’ve ever done in my entire life, I believe she’s not evil.”

“Yeah, she had me under control three times and she never made me do anything weir- evil, I meant evil!”

“And you are?”

“Palisade, your Highness. I work under Commander Crest.”

“May I say a word, princess?”

“Bladehoof, I remember you. It’s been a while. Go on.”

“Fury and I have clearly very different view on things with our predator-prey relationship, but I believe it might be possible to work out… with each changeling individually, of course. I’m not foolish enough to believe that under different circumstances Fury would not be after my throat.”

“Not throat, as such, and I’m speaking from experience. The thing is, they can feed on lust as well, and I believe if there is something to bridge the difference then it is just that.”

“The princess really didn’t need to hear about you and Fury, Palisade.”

“On the contrary, Commander Crest. What miss Palisade said is quickly becoming a common theme in our current situation. I will send somepony to inform you later.”

“Riveside-”

“Steps have already been taken.”

*Long, exhausted sigh.*

“Then I don’t have much to add. Fury said her piece, and I said mine about Puff’s death. As for her being evil, Puff said she was a nice lady who liked pets and pets liked her. Quoting here.”

“Oh, really?”

*Flap flap flap.*

*More gasps.*

“What in seven circles of Tartarus just landed on my head? It has freaking talons! Holy crap it’s on fire. I admit it freely, princess, that’s pretty metal. How many burning chickens do you go through per day like this, though. Do you sell them to griffons afterwards?”

“Philomena?”

“Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!”

“All we need now is a headbanging pony and we’re all set. Unts unts unts unts-”

“Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!”

“Unts- unt- unts- unts-”

“Commander?”

“Screeeeeeeeeeeeee!”

“Yes, it is really happening. She’s waving her head around with a screeching phoenix desperately grasping her mane while making disco noises. She doesn’t even know what metal is, she just likes the idea. I guess that’s what I get for letting her listen to the radio all day. Yes, she’s doing it in front of a courtyard full of guards, and yes, Star Trail is about to break some necks.”

“The whipping circle of fire looks pretty neat, though.”

“HOW DARE YOU CAUSE THE DEATH OF A PONY WHO WAS A LITTLE BIT BEHIND AND THEN DO THIS CHARADE?!”

“But he wasn’t...”

“WHAT?”

“Puff was absolutely fine, you senile fanatic. The only thing wrong with him was that he was learning from YOU! He was the sweetest damn pony I’ve met, and for once I’m not talking about taste.”

“Youuuuu-”

“Leave, Star Trail. I will talk to you later, and you can be sure that for his service in rescuing the police force of Riverside and thus possibly saving all its citizens Puff will be posthumously awarded the rank of paladin.”

“Yes, your Highness.”

*Spreading silence.*

*Multiple approaching hoofsteps.*

“Princess Luna?”

“Greetings to thee, Bladehoof. We art here to escort the changeling inside.”

“Wow, did she get hit too hard with an old dictionary?”

“Such insolence, changeling!”

“Is everything ready, sister?”

“Yes, there is no need for this gathering to continue. We will take care of the situation.”

“Then I will trust your judgement in the matter. Although I would control my temper if I were you. This changeling can be… grating.”

“I shall do my best, sister. Come with us, changeling.”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Thou art gazing in the wrong direction.”

“I am blind, but I’ll take it as a compliment to my acting ability that you didn’t notice.”

“Ah, I shall bear that in mind. Commander, you will lead her.”

“Of co-”

“As ya wish, princess.”

“I believe my sister was talking to her companions, Commander Crest. Don’t worry, they will be just in judging miss Fury’s future chances. You and your subordinates will be coming with me. I could use first-hoof witness of the events in Riverside starting with miss Fury’s arrival.”

“Of course, your Highness. Hey, Fury!”

“Yes, Crest?”

“Take care. I’ll come see you as soon as I can.”

“I’ll drop by as well, Fury. You know, in case you’re hungry.”

“That wasn’t even trying to be subtle, Palisade.”

“You’ll visit her too, right, Blade?”

“I… might check on her if I have the time. To see if she’s being treated fairly, of course.”

“There you have it, Fury. We’ll see you soon.”

“Bye, Crest.”

***

“With that taken care of, are we taking her down to the dungeons, princess?”

“Temporarily. Have a holding cell ready. One of the better ones.”

“Ya okay there, Fury?”

“You’re guiding me pretty well, I must admit. Hey, what happened to the ancient dictionary talk?”

“That is mostly just for appearances, although I still slip up sometimes.”

“Stairs down, Fury. Fifteen.”

“Alright. Say, there’s one more guy with us, and I smell changeling.”

“Yeah, your nose is somewhat right.”

“Not a real changeling, though.”

“Your queen’s magic transformed me to some degree, but I still consider myself mostly a pony.”

“He’s all shiny now!”

“To be honest, if I got forcibly turned into a half-pony I wouldn’t be so calm about it.”

“It has its perks.”

“Ya like feeding off of me. Admit it.”

“I see, so you’re banging.”

“Not that kind of feeding.”

“Don’t tell me ya wouldn’t want to tap this.”

“...”

“Great, another ‘pony’ whom I can hear blush. Not too experienced in the whole mare department, is he?”

“Ya got that right.”

“EHM, anyway. We are responsible for the orders regarding your observation.”

“Wait, those weren’t fake?”

“Unofficial, but definitely not fake. Princess Celestia needs to keep us looking sharp and ready after the invasion to prevent panic, but we don’t want to just purge Equestria of changelings. Princess Luna here is leading the operation regarding integration of changelings into our society, and protecting those who have been living in it peacefully before the invasion.”

“Yer just saving yer sweet, sweet ass.”

“Partially-”

*Click*

“-Sit her down. Now, the princess will ask you some questions. I will be listening, and I might ask something on occasion.”

“And don’t lie, he’ll know.”

“She is not jesting, miss Fury. I and my friend here WILL know.”

“Just be yourself, and it’ll be alright.”

“You know, for some reason I believe you. I’m blind and frail, and yet you make me feel like I have… hope.”

“He does that to ponies.”

“Oh shush. Princess Luna?”

“Right. So, miss Fury. The floor is yours.”

“Cool, can I get the roof too?”

Author's Note:

If you're wondering who were the ponies interrogating Fury.

So yeah, thanks for reading my little experiment and, as always, feedback, criticism, or suggestions are welcome.

Comments ( 60 )

well, this was great =).
For an experience, the writing was really good. And Fury.... oh my god, Fury ! this character can't say anything without it be a fu***** punchline. she is now one of my favorite caracters on a fanfic. so, thanks for this story ^^.

“Leave, Star Trail. I will talk to you later, and you can be sure that for his service in rescuing the police force of Riverside and thus possibly saving all its citizens Puff will be awarded the rank of paladin post mortem.”

With things like this, people ususally use "posthumously" here instead. "Post-mortem" generally refers to the actual physical remains.

This was a fun story. Of course, I tend to really like changeling stories, so I may be a little biased. Still, it was a fun experiment, and I hope the experience of writing it proved educational for you.

8288293
Fixed.

Well, I learned a little bit, but sadly nothing that would help me with my main stories. Still, it was a lot of fun and I needed the distraction from the misery of Imbalanced: New Age.

I'm glad you enjoyed, and the next side-story I have in mind (since I'll be scrapping Rumors, Bits, and Pieces) will also be changelin-centered, although less... snarky.

8288259
Thanks for staying interested until the end. Yeah, Fury grew a bit in a different direction than I had in mind, but from what little successful experience I have the good characters grow on their own no matter what I want. I know it sounds weird, but a lot of interactions weren't too planned out and came out on the spot, and for like the second time since I started writing I'm actually happy with how things came out.

Anyway, I'm glad I wasted a bit of your time. :pinkiehappy:

Damn, sad to see this end. I'm going to miss Fury's comments. I look forward to your next side story.

8290303
Thanks for reading. The next story will take a bit of time to prepare, but I took a vacation this week so I might get the first chapter ready. I'm toying with returning to Fury at some point in time, but probably not. She ended up on a high note, and it would be a shame to overuse a good character to the point of being annoying... maybe over a bunch of long-ass stories.

Ehm... well...

I probably should have realized that sooner. :twilightblush:

This was a good read. The character were pretty interesting, and their interactions aswell. Fury reminds me a lot of "Pigeon" a character from "Mike Tyson Mysteries". The way U wrote the fic I found it wierd at first (a bit confusing sometimes), but it went well with the whole blind thing.

It wus good wastin my time on this, got me hooked.

U get a fav and a like, man!
might check ur other fic.

8325382
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

There's a ton of stuff to read in my library, but majority of it is VASTLY different. So, if you find something else interesting then great, if not then I'm happy Fury proved herself to be a good companion for a while.

I apologise in advance for any poor choice of words. English isn't my native.

Wow I have finished this long time ago but I did not comment even a peek. It's great and my lack of English skills is stopping me to elaborate my point of it. Now realising how much of your fic I've read I realised how much sex joke and sadness or angst in your fics.

Not exactly my cup of tea, per see, but you still makes me continue reading and enjoying your fics. It's a great skill to retain attention of someone with different taste or I have dirtier taste deep down.

8593389
I honestly have no answer to that. I wish I had something profound, but I don't. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, that's all.

Anyway, English isn't my native language either, and your comments are easy enough to understand.

Well that was surprisingly good, I read all of it in one day, very well stylized characters and adorable sturdy angry bug

9085128
I choose not to be disappointed by the "surprisingly" part, and just be happy you enjoyed it.

Thanks for reading.

9085223
Text only stories are novelty and often novelties like that base only on that kind of thing and lack the juice that make story good.

9085259
Welp, glad I didn't disappoint too much.

9235637
Greedy little changeling.
9235664
:pinkiesad2:
9235744
Aaaand now I regret giving him a silly name.
9235758
For only 5.99, you can get a DLC on Steam. Collector's edition also contains a soundtrack with 3 hours of Fury screaming obscenities at a wall she bumped into in Canterlot.

9236168 The only thing you should feel bad about is that you named Puff's dog Huff.
Now instead of Huff Puff Huff Puff it's Huff Huff Huff Huff.

You should totally make a sequel to this though.

9236238
Exercise in Management technically constitutes as one, but not really.

I don't know if I could continue Fury's verbal rampage in a good fashion at this point, so actual sequel is unlikely.

9236288 Reincarnate Puff as a Magic Dragon.

I'll check that out then.

9245280
Optimist.
9245343
Well, it doesn't matter where the humor comes from as long as it's there.
9245421
:pinkiesad2:

Came here from Exercise in Management, I must say that this has been a great read. My only question is why do you like killing off all the adorable characters? First Puff, then Three :fluttercry: my heart can't take much more of this, man. I'm gonna read your other fics, but I'm gonna need about a day to cry first. Congratulations on writing consistently good stories, though, I'm liking them so far.

9284084
Heh, Management and Words are the latest two stories. "Consistently good" is a serious overstatement, but thanks :twilightblush:

My only question is why do you like killing off all the adorable characters?

Dunno, maybe it's because I haven't managed to successfully kill off one asshole based on myself all these 5 years of writing, and that's why the Imbalanced storyline is still going. :trollestia:

9318493
Fury just wants to have fu-uuuuun! :pinkiehappy:

9465868
Sometimes even I manage to make things interesting.
9465889

Brightest knife in the spoon?

A rather obscure reference and more.
Aaand fixed. The first mistake was different, but now it's better.
9465949
The idea was that Fury hurt herself while trying to get over the fence.
9465965
Nah, just Crest's old marefriend's a bitch.

Abrupt end. Still a good fic.

9470541
I'm a bastard like that.
9470582
Come on, Fury might be kinda of a bitch, but she's not bad.
9470594
Good still counts. Wohoo.

9890084
One of few experiments that really worked out well.

Where's the Epic Ending? Also this was quite funny in a kinda raunchy way Given Fury is apparantly a Sir-Swears-A-Lot.

10070665
Not everything needs a huge final battle, although most of the time there is one..

10070906
That doesn't mean I wouldn't still like to see an epilogue/conclusion. It ends on a cliffhanger.

10070916 If you get to reading boss' storyline, then there is a little bit of background there.

10206922
She doesn't have much of a choice.
10206934
Indeed.
10207047
That's the best way. Suuurely.
10207088
He's the OG. Or maybe technically Greyscale was the OG, but Puff was number 2, definitely.
10207112
At tis point in time, changelings ARE universally either unknown or downright hated, especially by those few who have real experience with them.
10207068
Strangely enough, licking someone rarely is the way to go.
10207119
Don't worry about it.

That was fun. Luckily love prevailed.

10208948
Now this is what I call binge reading :D
10208765
Suicidal fun.
10208778
Yep.
10208797
Hot without crossing into the 18+ territory. That's my jam.
10208813
That's always the way, isn't it?
10208830
Prepare the photon torpedoes!
10208939
Ehh, you never know.

10209013
Never underestimate the power of procrastineering! 😉

Would it be okay if I could make fanart somehow? I really liked reading about Fury struggles, and ahhhhhhh Puff died:fluttercry:

10496737
Nothing would make me happier than seeing fanart of any of my stories. Just shoot me a link to it so that I can have a look.

10501989
It's true perfection
Although the snark is a close 2nd

Can there be another story with Ms. Fury in it please, I just love her character!
Also you could probably add a comedy tag to this!
lol

10501912
Channelings use their wing's to fix the swimming problem the cup holders/ anything cylinder shaped storage cause!
Truly the Master Race.

10812104
There are several stories I still want to write, but these days each story takes me close to a year to finish due to time constaints and constant burnouts, so it's not that easy, especially with G5 on the horizon potentially giving me fuel or lore to return to Blazing Light, Choking Darkness, and Cromach. But yes, the two main stories I still want to do are:
- Sequel to "Happiness is what you make of it"
- Sequel to this one, specifically about the time where Fury and Crest become foster parents to Gem (hosting the hive mind soul of One) after the events of "Exercise in management". I think messing around with One, Gem, and Fury together has potential.

The thing is that now I'm doing "They're Everywhere" and the grand finale of my world's overarching plotline "One Hug Bug", so the best guess for the horizon of me getting to it would be "sometime in the next 5 years". I doubt it's a hopeful answer but it's a realistic one.

I didn't actually realize this was part of the Imbalanced storyline the first time through. Still didn't until just now. Ya know, this deserves breaking my usual rule of only 1 story per series on my "Must Reads" shelf. This gets to sit on my "Must Reads" shelf as well as this story gets a 9.3/10 for being a very excellent piece of storytelling with characters I really would love to see the sequel too. Also, poor Puff. It's too bad he'll never know he achieved what he strived so hard for. Dang this thing ends way too soon.

10846836
This one has nothing to do with Imbalanced other than in the broadest sense. It's a full standalone which kind of starts off a series of terrible events in Lovebugs.

Another great story! I absolutely love how you write changelings, from they're everywhere, to boss' storyline, they all have such memorable personalities. Its also really cool to see the backstory of all these characters i recognize from they're everywhere, even if these stories were written long before it :pinkiehappy:

11387024
Well, this one did earn me a reader drawing that fantastic cover art, so it has to be special.

11675611
Neat. I supposed this one was lost to the mists of time.

Poor Puff. :fluttershbad:

This was a good read! Bit of an abrupt ending, but the journey was very enjoyable.

My only complaint is that the non-dialogue parts were kind of immersion-breaking. Seeing asterisks used like that was unfortunately reminiscent of lazy narration or greentext stuff by inexperienced writers.

I totally get wanting to experiment with a pure dialogue story, but if you were going to skirt that restriction with those asterisks anyway, it probably would've been less distracting to just use some brisk narration here and there.

11680784
Yep, but that's what experiments are for. Something works, something doesn't. I tried to do a similar thing later with Exercise in Management, but eventually found that just insufficient. I was happy the story and characterization didn't turn out disastrous so some flavor text didn't bother me. The point wasn't that the story was supposed to be just dialogue and me sticking to it no matter what, rather to better depict what the point of view of a blind changeling would be.

oh man thats the end! ended faster then i was expecting, this was a great story I liked it alot

Login or register to comment