• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 2,961 Views, 49 Comments

Sweet Affection - Masterob



Apple Bloom's attempts to set Rumble up with Scootaloo result in potential love between Rumble and Sweetie Belle

  • ...
9
 49
 2,961

Complicated Emotions

Inside the castle, Tender Taps had explained the entire situation to Twilight, from the misunderstanding from Rumble and Sweetie Belle, to Apple Bloom's attempts to break up the pair.

"So the original plan was for Rumble to date Scootaloo?" Twilight asked, the princess rubbing her chin in confusion.

"Yeah, but through some weird circumstances, Sweetie Belle ended up as the one that went on a date with Rumble," Tender Taps explained.

"Huh, that's so odd, but from the sounds of things Rumble and Sweetie Belle seem ok with the idea of dating each other?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah, I mean Rumble already had a crush on Sweetie Belle, but I feel like she's slowly starting to like him back," Tender Taps said.

"But Apple Bloom still thinks he should be with Scootaloo, correct?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah, she's so determined to get them together, figuring everypony would be happy," Tender Taps said.

Twilight tapped her chin in thought, thinking over the conclusion to this, "Mind if I ask you a question Tender Taps?"

Tender Taps nodded, "Of course Princess, what do you want to ask?"

"What do you think the right thing to do is?" Twilight asked.

Tender Taps looked confused, "But I thought you were gonna tell me what I should do?"

"While I can easily tell you, first I want to see what you think you should do, if you answer that question, I shall give you my conclusion," Twilight said.

Tender Taps looked a bit concerned about answering this. While he had an answer he fully believed in, admitting it wasn't gonna be easy. Taking a big gulp, he faced Twilight with a worried but serious face. "I think Apple Bloom should just leave Rumble and Sweetie Belle be. I feel bad for Scootaloo but she can always find another coltfriend. I mean it's not real love, just a crush, and sometimes they don't last...at least I don't think they do."

Twilight nodded with a smile, "And that's exactly what you should do."

Tender Taps looked surprised, "Huh?"

Twilight rubbed his mane, "You're a smart young colt, you don't need me to tell you the answer to this because I had the confidence you would know the answer. It's true, while Scootaloo might be a little unhappy, she will get over it. Sometimes a crush doesn't always last, I've seen my friends develop crushes, mostly Rarity, and in the end they turn out to be nothing. Scootaloo probably wouldn't even have liked Rumble after a while, but you know that Rumble likes Sweetie Belle and she looks like she's liking him back."

"So, crushes are a bad thing?" Tender Taps asked.

Twilight shook her head, "No, they can lead to something, but sometimes it won't always work out. Right now Rumble is acting on his crush on Sweetie Belle, and luckily she's liking him back. I won't deny that maybe Scootaloo and Rumble could've been happy together as well, but sometimes things don't always work out."

"Oh, I get it, I think. But Scootaloo will find somepony else to like right?" Tender Taps asked.

"I'm sure of it, and I know that Princess Cadance would agree to everything said here," Twilight said.

Tender Taps felt a little relieved, "Thanks Princess Twilight, you're amazing." Tender Taps moved in to hug Twilight, which she gladly returned.

"It's no trouble my dear little pony," Twilight said as she rubbed his mane some more.

Tender Taps broke away, "I'm gonna talk to Apple Bloom again soon, maybe talk her out of this." Tender Taps was about to leave, but asked one more question. "So it's ok to have a crush right?"

Twilight nodded, "Yes, why?"

"...Um, you've known Apple Bloom longer than me, where does she like to go to have fun?" Tender Taps asked with a big blush.

Twilight stared a bit, then started to giggle, "Like I said, you're a smart young colt, you'll know what to do." Tender Taps nodded and ran off, leaving Twilight satisfied. "Wow, I'm really getting good at this, I should tell Cadance about this, she'd love to hear this." Twilight then trotted off, "Spike! I need you write and send something for me!"

Elsewhere with Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, the two had made it to Fluttershy's cottage and had greeted her at the door.

"Howdy Fluttershy! How are ya?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Oh hi girls, I'm just fine, thanks for asking," Fluttershy responded.

"Great, um ya think you can help me and Scootaloo with something?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Oh, what do you need help with?" Fluttershy asked.

"See Scootaloo likes this boy," Apple Bloom heard Scootaloo grumble a bit, but she continued anyway. "But this boy only likes sensitive fillies, so we were hoping you can give Scootaloo some tips about being sensitive."

Fluttershy looked to the pouty Pegasus filly, feeling some uncertainty. However she can't turn the girls away, they look up to her after all, somewhat.

"Come on inside," Fluttershy said, gesturing the girls to join her. Once inside, Fluttershy gestured for the two fillies to have a seat, which they did. "So what's this about wanting Scootaloo to be more sensitive?"

"See there's this colt named Rumble, not sure if you know him or now," Apple Bloom started saying.

"Rumble?" Fluttershy tapped her chin. "Oh I remember, Thunderlane's little brother, he's such a cute little colt too, really polite as well."

"Right, anyway Scootaloo has a crush on him, even if she constantly denies it," Apple Bloom said, playfully glaring at her friend, to which she turned away with a bigger pout. "Anyway she likes him but he said he doesn't like fillies that are too tough, he wants a more gentle filly."

"I see, probably Flitter's influence, but I don't see what I need to help with, I think Scootaloo's already nice and sensitive," Fluttershy said.

Apple Bloom scoffed, "Please, Scootaloo? What about her is nice and sensitive?"

"Hey!" Scootaloo complained.

Fluttershy gave a look of disapproval, "Be nice Apple Bloom, I think Scootaloo is sensitive, I think you expect senstive to also mean that she's a younger version of me, but you can be tough and sensitive. Applejack's tough, but that doesn't mean she can't be sensitive."

Apple Bloom nodded, "Well yeah, but we just want to make sure that Scootaloo is perfect fer him."

"Well, why don't you just ask him on a date then? That way you can see for sure," Fluttershy said.

"That might be kinda hard, he's kinda dating Sweetie Belle," Apple Bloom said.

Fluttershy looked surprised, "Huh? If he's dating Sweetie Belle, then why are you asking me to help make Scootaloo sensitive enough for Rumble?"

"She's just dating him so we can know what he likes, once we have enough information then she's gonna break up with him and Scootaloo can date him," Apple Bloom said a bit bluntly.

Scootaloo raised her eyebrow at Apple Bloom, "Geez, couldn't have explained that a little better?"

Fluttershy's brows furrowed, a look rare to the two fillies. "That's not a good thing Apple Bloom. Rumble is a pony too, he has feelings. If you do something like this, it might upset him."

"How? We're gonna put him with a great pony, Scootaloo will make a fine marefriend," Apple Bloom said.

Fluttershy pouted as she crossed her forelegs, "I don't like this girls, I better not hear that you upset him, otherwise I'll be very disappointed in you!"

Apple Bloom looked concerned, she's not used to seeing Fluttershy angry or unhappy. "I won't let him get hurt, ah promise!"

"Yeah, please don't be mad at us, it's kinda weird," Scootaloo said, a little unnerved at Fluttershy potentially being mad at them. If you get Fluttershy mad at you, then you know you did something wrong.

Fluttershy nodded, "I hope not. You're really nice girls and I don't wanna be this tough with you, but I also don't want you playing with another pony's emotions."

"We promise," Apple Bloom said and turned to her friend. "Let's go Scoots."

Apple Bloom got up and walked outside, Scootaloo was about to follow but Fluttershy called her. "Scootaloo, please come here a moment."

Scootaloo gestured for Apple Bloom to wait outside as she walked over to Fluttershy, feeling a bit curious, "What is it?"

"How much do you like this colt?" Fluttershy asked.

Scootaloo blushed, "Um...if I tell you, promise you won't go blabbing about it?"

"Promise," Fluttershy said.

Scootaloo took a breath, "I like him a lot, he's so cute and so athletic, and he's really nice. I feel more confident trying to get a colt like him to be my coltfriend than I would with some other colt. Maybe he can help me to be a little more in touch with my emotions, because I know if I could learn to accept my emotions, I could have been dating him by now."

Fluttershy nodded, "You need to tell him how you feel, if he decides for himself that he wants to date you, well that's his decision. But you also need to accept the possibility that he might not like you that way, think you can handle that?"

Scootaloo looked unsure, the idea of Rumble rejecting her is too worrying for her, but she had to try at least. "Sure, alright Fluttershy."

"Good," Fluttershy said, then pointed to her door. "You may go with Apple Bloom now."

Scootaloo nodded and followed after her friend.

The next day, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were on their way to Rarity's house, hoping to meet with Sweetie Belle before her dinner at Thunderlane's house.

On the way there, they spotted Rumble walking with Thunderlane, the two going to the market place, looking through the food.

"Must be doing some shopping, probably getting ready fer tonight, but maybe this is our chance to talk to Rumble," Apple Bloom said.

Scootaloo nodded, "I'm ready."

The two approached Rumble, Apple Bloom being the first to greet him, "Howdy Rumble."

Rumble turned to the girls with a friendly wave, "Hey girls, what brings you here?"

"No reason really, just doing our Crusading," Apple Bloom said.

Rumble looked curious, then looked around, "Without Sweetie Belle?"

Apple Bloom looked worried, for about a second when she remembered, "Well she's busy, plus we don't always Crusade together, just ask Tender Taps, ah met him while Crusading alone."

"Oh, right, anyway is there something you girls wanted from me?" Rumble asked.

"Not me personally, but Scoots here does," Apple Bloom said, gesturing to the filly beside her.

Scootaloo shyly waved, "Sup Rumble?"

Rumble waved back, "Hi Scootaloo, what did you need?"

Scootaloo fidgeted a little, this wasn't gonna be easy, so she decided to just blurt it out and hope it goes well. "You wanna go somewhere with me sometime?"

Thunderlane happened to overhear that as he was grabbing some stuff. Did a filly just ask out Rumble? He already has one filly, but a second? Not bad for his little brother.

"Go somewhere? Like a date?" Rumble asked.

"Not a 'date', just you and me doing something together, maybe a race or some type of game for us," Scootaloo said.

Rumble looked unsure, "That almost sounds like a date, and I'm dating Sweetie Belle, who's your friend I might add. I don't think she'll be ok with this."

"Sure she will, we talked to her and she's ok with it," Apple Bloom said, technically being truthful, since the who purpose of Sweetie Belle dating Rumble was for Rumble to eventually end up with Scootaloo.

Rumble glared a bit suspiciously, "I want to hear it from her directly."

Apple Bloom groaned, "Fine, meet us later at Rarity's place, we'll ask Sweetie Belle there alright?"

Rumble shrugged, "I guess."

"Good," she turned to Scootaloo, "Come on Scoots."

Scootaloo waved bye to Rumble as the two fillies ran off.

Rumble looked on unsurely, then turned back to his brother, who had a look of surprise on his face. "What is it?"

"Nothing, I'm just surprised another filly asked you out, that's two in less than a week, you're really growing up," Thunderlane said.

"Yeah well, it's weird. Now that I have a marefriend, she's the only filly I care about right now," Rumble said.

"Hey nothing wrong with options though," Thunderlane said.

Rumble glared slightly at his older brother, "You know, that's why you don't have a marefriend."

Thunderlane rolled his eyes, "That's Flitter and Cloudchaser getting to you, anyway let's hurry up now, we have our own fillies waiting."

Rumble nodded and went with his brother to finish up what they're doing.

As the fillies walked, they were soon approached by Tender Taps. "Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, wait up!"

The two fillies turned their attention to Tender Taps.

"What is it?" Apple Bloom asked.

Tender Taps stopped a moment to take a breath, "I really need to talk to you about something."

"What about?" Apple Bloom asked.

Tender Taps gulped, knowing this might upset them but he owes them the truth and how he really feels about this. "I know that you said you want Scootaloo to be happy, and I want that too. But I'm just really worried that you're almost forcing Rumble into another relationship, and breaking the two of them up like that is the wrong way to go. I think they're really happy together and I think Scootaloo can find somepony else to be with." Tender Taps turned to Scootaloo, "Surely Rumble's not the only boy you like, and I happen to think you're a cute filly, I'm sure I'm not the only boy who thinks that. I've seen how some boys look at you with amazement every time you do a cool trick, why not try dating one of them?"

Scootaloo looked to Apple Bloom, who offered a shrug, then back to Tender Taps. "I really wanna try getting together with Rumble, plus despite what you think, Sweetie Belle doesn't really like him. I've known her long enough to know that he's not her type."

"But she's been really happy to be around him, I can tell, she does care for him," Tender Taps said.

"She probably likes him like a friend at least, but as a coltfriend? It won't happen. Even if she seems interested now, she's gonna lose interest eventually," Scootaloo said.

"She's right, Sweetie Belle's the type to kinda lose interest in certain things after a while. Ah remember when she wanted mah sister to be hers, after a while she remembered how much she loved Rarity as a sister and then she lost interest in Applejack. There's also the time she thought she was interested in fashion like Rarity, she even tried it a few times but she lost interest not much longer later," Apple Bloom said.

"Sweetie Belle's gonna lose interest in Rumble, if she has any interest in him at all. For all we know she could be faking it big time. Besides even if she doesn't like Rumble, she doesn't wanna hurt his feelings. Believe us we know what's better for her," Scootaloo said.

Tender Taps still didn't look too sure, "I'm just worried that this might go wrong. I mean if Sweetie Belle does break up with Rumble, what makes you think he'll date you Scootaloo? I doubt he'd wanna date somepony that's friends with the same filly who made him feel bad."

"She's not gonna be rude about it, we'll even help," Apple Bloom said.

"Plus I kinda asked Rumble out, he said he'll do it if Sweetie Belle's ok with it," Scootaloo said.

Tender Taps's eyes widened. "What!? Why would you do that!?"

"Relax, it'll be fine, you gotta stop worrying so much," Apple Bloom said.

"But...but what if something goes wrong? It's hard not to worry for you girls sometimes, I don't want you to get to deep into trouble," Tender Taps said.

Scootaloo giggled, "Aw, he just cares about us Apple Bloom, can't blame the kid."

"Yeah, he's such a sweet colt," Apple Bloom said, rubbing his mane a bit.

Tender Taps started to blush, "This is so embarrassing."

Scootaloo put her foreleg around Tender Taps, "Look, just relax alright? I appreciate you worrying for us and wanting us to be happy, but we've taken good care of ourselves for a while, we'll be fine."

Tender Taps still looked unsure, that's when Apple Bloom surprised him with a close and affectionate hug. "Listen ah appreciate you caring so much about us, and about others. Just remember, we're Sweetie Belle's friends, we know what we're doing. We've gotten this close, we shouldn't just give up."

Tender Taps tried to take Apple Bloom's word for it, but he can't shake that bad feeling. "Well, I guess it could work, but what if it doesn't?"

"Well we're not gonna know unless we try right?" Apple Bloom said, then turned him to face her. "Quit worrying so much alright sugarcube? Ah promise things will end up just fine."

Tender Taps blushed a lot, Apple Bloom was being really affectionate right now. He couldn't handle it much longer, so he quickly broke away. "Alright, I'll trust you, anyway I gotta go...practice my dancing, right. See ya!"

With that he quickly ran off, desperately trying to calm down from that flirty exchange.

Once he was gone, Scootaloo turned to Apple Bloom. "Um, what was that about?"

"What was 'what' about?" Apple Bloom asked.

"The way you were flirting with him, I think you freaked the kid out," Scootaloo said.

"Huh? Ah wasn't flirting, ah was just trying to reassure him that everything would work out just fine," Apple Bloom insisted.

Scootaloo glared suspiciously, "Right, so you weren't flirting huh?"

Apple Bloom groaned, "Listen, you want yer date or not!?"

Scootaloo shrugged, "Eh, whatever then, not that it's a big deal if you were flirting, he's a handsome colt after all. Anyway let's hurry to Sweetie Belle, I want that date with Rumble."

"Look who's finally admitting her crush," Apple Bloom said.

Scootaloo groaned, "Whatever, like I said, you just flirted Tender Taps, so I can just as easily tease you about that."

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes, "Call it whatever, let's just get going."

The two fillies trotted over to Rarity's home. What they didn't realize is that a certain unicorn filly just happened to be nearby.

"So those fillies are up to something, Apple Bloom, you're such a manipulator," Dinky said, then turned to where Tender Taps ran. "Poor colt, I gotta make sure I fix this, otherwise this is gonna lead to something so chaotic that Discord would applaud it."

Later at the Carousel Boutique, Rarity was checking on her work when she heard a knock. "Oh, is that our stallions?" She opened the door to find Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. "Oh, didn't expect to see you here...where's Tender Taps? He's not around today?"

"He's off practicing fer his dancing, may we speak to Sweetie Belle?" Apple Bloom asked.

Rarity didn't answer at first, she just pointed in the direction to Sweetie Belle's room. "Try not to hold her up, we have plans." The two fillies went upstairs as Rarity suspiciously glared. "I swear those girls are up to something, and it isn't anything good."

Upstairs, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo entered Sweetie Belle's room.

"Sweetie Belle, gotta ask ya something," Apple Bloom said.

Sweetie Belle was fluffing her mane in front of a mirror, "Don't take too long, Rumble's gonna be here soon."

"About that, Scootaloo wants to do some stuff with Rumble, like racing and what-not," Apple Bloom said.

Sweetie Belle turned to Apple Bloom with a curious expression, "Your point being?"

"He said he won't do it because it sounds like a date," Apple Bloom said.

"He'll change his mind if you tell him it's ok," Scootaloo said.

Sweetie Belle looked even more curious, "So you're saying that you want me to give you permission to spend time with him?"

"Exactly, when he comes over, just let him know yer ok with it," Apple Bloom said.

Sweetie Belle furrowed her eyebrows, "So what makes you think I would just say that I am?"

Apple Bloom looked curious, "Why wouldn't you be? Isn't the whole point of this to get Rumble to date Scootaloo?"

"Yeah, he just needs to hear your ok and that's it, me and him have a date," Scootaloo said somewhat excited.

Sweetie Belle seemed displeased, "Rumble doesn't seem interested in doing that right now because he's dating me. If I tell him to just go ahead, it'll make him think I don't care about him, I'm not gonna do that to Rumble."

Scootaloo looked surprised, "Hey! What happened to getting Rumble to date me!?"

"Since when do you even care if he thinks you like him!? You said it yerself, you don't like him like that," Apple Bloom said.

"I don't," Sweetie Belle said, her shifting eyes suggesting otherwise. "But I still don't wanna do that to him. It might hurt him and he won't wanna date anymore. Just let me date him a little while longer and then he's yours Scootaloo."

Scootaloo looked displeased, "Are you serious!? You don't need to continue dating Rumble if you just let me have him now!"

"No!" Sweetie Belle stated. "It's not a good time to do that, trust me on this, unless you wanna mess this up, let me continue this. Rumble's very sensitive, if we do this wrong, it's gonna hurt him, and I refuse to do that to him."

Scootaloo groaned, "Fine, but don't drag this out too much longer." Scootaloo then angrily left the room, feeling a bit irritated.

Sweetie Belle let out a snort, "What's her deal? Since when is she so worried about dating Rumble? Not too long ago she would deny it to no end."

"Maybe seeing Rumble with you is making her realize more and more that she likes him, she's probably getting a little jealous," Apple Bloom said.

"Well maybe next time she should have just asked the kid out, he's very friendly and understanding after all," Sweetie Belle said.

"Yeah, he is, anyway I'll let you get ready, but try to hurry with this dating thing, though ah guess the bright side is that Rumble will have some extra experience, so he'll know what to do with Scootaloo," Apple Bloom said.

"What am I? Just practice?" Sweetie Belle asked, her annoyance increasing.

"Well, sorta. Come on it's not like you really like the kid that much, especially once you get tired of dating him, this way Rumble definitely has a filly he can be with, anyway I'll get going as well, see ya," Apple Bloom said, then left as well.

Sweetie Belle humphed and angrily kept fluffing her mane, "Rumble isn't a toy, he's my friend, those two better not do anything to hurt my Rumbly-Wumbly..." Sweetie Belle's eyes widened. "Since when did I have a nickname for Rumble?" Sweetie Belle shrugged it off and kept fluffing her mane, awaiting the arrival of her date.

Author's Note:

At least the foals are starting to accept certain emotions and feelings for others.