• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 2,961 Views, 49 Comments

Sweet Affection - Masterob



Apple Bloom's attempts to set Rumble up with Scootaloo result in potential love between Rumble and Sweetie Belle

  • ...
9
 49
 2,961

The First Date

Later on outside the castle, Scootaloo looked furiously at her 'friend' Sweetie Belle. "What, did, you, DO!?"

"I'm sorry, I don't know what happened!" Sweetie Belle said, backing away from the angry Scootaloo. She had just found out about the date, obviously she isn't happy to know that Sweetie Belle is gonna date a colt she's had a crush on for the longest time, even if she never admits it.

"How did you end up on a date with Rumble!? I thought the two of you were trying to help me get together with him!" Scootaloo angrily said.

Sweetie Belle was gonna answer, but had a coy question of her own, "Wait, I thought you didn't like Rumble that way?"

Scootaloo blushed heavily, "I don't...but I know that you two were trying to set it up! What happened!?"

Sweetie Belle shook her head, even in this situation Scootaloo denies how she feels about Rumble. She's making it very obvious, why doesn't she just admit it?

"Look, all I did was say what you should say, and he overheard me. He thought I was asking him out, but I wasn't," Sweetie Belle insisted.

"Oh you weren't huh? Then how did you end up with him!?" Scootaloo again asked.

"I don't know Scootaloo, it just happened alright!? Next time don't be such a wuss about asking him out!" Sweetie Belle said.

Before this could continue, Apple Bloom got in the middle. "Will the two of ya stop yer yapping? Ah know this looks bad but maybe we can make it work to our advantage."

The two fillies looked curious.

"How so?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Like this, Sweetie can 'date' Rumble, and figure out what he likes in a filly, then give the information to Scootaloo. Then Sweetie Belle can dump Rumble, Scootaloo comes in and offers to be his marefriend, and that solves our problem," Apple Bloom said.

Sweetie Belle looked unsure of that plan, "I don't know, it seems kinda mean. I mean Dinky did say that Rumble has a crush on me, if I dump him it could really upset him and he may never want to love another filly again."

"Well make him dump you," Apple Bloom said.

Sweetie Belle raised her eyebrow, "Um, have you seen me? I'm cute, he wouldn't do something that dumb."

Scootaloo looked pretty irate, this time Tender Taps came in. "Nopony has to dump anypony, but Apple Bloom's plan can work. Rumble dates Sweetie Belle, she figures out what he likes in a filly, then Sweetie Belle can gently break up with him, do it in a way that he doesn't feel unloved but that you feel he can do better and try to suggest Scootaloo. That way nopony is hurt and everything turns out just fine."

Sweetie Belle emitted a hopeful smile, "That can work! Great idea Tender Taps! You're so smart!"

Tender Taps blushed, "I'm just being a friend, that's all."

Sweetie Belle giggled, "You're kinda cute when you're shy, you wanna try asking me out later?"

"Hey back off Sweetie Belle!" Apple Bloom suddenly shouted, surprising all the foals. Apple Bloom found herself blushing and laughed nervously. "You shouldn't be doing that just yet, otherwise it could mess up the plan."

Sweetie Belle did a smug smile, "Right, sure. Looks like you and Scootaloo have a lot in common right now."

Both Apple Bloom and Scootaloo had angry blushes while Tender Taps had a shy one.

Meanwhile with Rumble, the young colt happily flew home, not too far from Dinky and the foal sitters.

"So he finally got that date with Sweetie Belle?" Cloudchaser asked.

"Yeah, in an unusual way but a date nonetheless," Dinky said.

"Hey a date's a date, he got what he wanted and I'm real proud of the kid," Cloudchaser said.

"So am I, my little Rumble's growing up, he's becoming a stallion right before my eyes," Flitter said and sniffled a bit. "Oh why does he have to grow up? Why can't he just stay small and cute forever!? What mare will really love him like I do!?"

"Flitter," Cloudchaser said with some caution in her voice. "I know you love Rumble, but right now you're acting weird."

Flitter sighed, "Still..."

"Don't worry Flitter I understand how you feel, I love Dinky like my own daughter so it would be a lot to see her grow up," Derpy said.

"You're really nice Derpy, and Flitter don't worry about Rumble, you'll always be his favorite mare," Dinky said.

"Right, I need to be strong and happy for him, my sweet little Rumble," Flitter said.

"Now to tell his brother, I'm sure he'll be really proud of the little guy," Cloudchaser said.

Flitter had a moment of worry, fully expecting what Thunderlane's reaction might be to the fact that his little brother has a date. "I just hope he doesn't try to give him any, 'advice'n the subject."

Cloudchaser shook her head at her younger sister, "I know Thunderlane's a moron sometimes but give him some credit, I'm sure he can give Rumble some decent tips."

"I just hope it doesn't involve him turning Rumble into a typical jock, Rumble's a sweet little colt, I want him to grow up with that same sensitivity he has now, I don't want him to be another Thunderlane...or another Rainbow Dash for that matter," Flitter said.

"Rumble knows better than to act like Rainbow Dash, he'll be fine," Cloudchaser insisted.

Rumble barely paid any mind to what the others were saying, he just wanted to get home and tell his brother what happened.

It wasn't long before they got to Thunderlane's house, the stallion in question laying back on the couch.

"Thunderlane, we're home!" Rumble said.

Thunderlane looked up and noticed his little brother approaching with an excited smile on his face, "Sup Rumble, what's got you in such a happy mood?"

"I got a date with Sweetie Belle!" Rumble said.

Thunderlane nearly fell off the couch in his surprise of his brother h having a date. "Really, you got a date with Sweetie Belle!? Like for real!?"

"For real, we're going to Sugarcube Corner tomorrow!" Rumble said, fluttering in the air in excitement.

"It's true," Flitter said as she walked in with the others. "Dinky herself saw it happen."

"Yeah, he was a bit dorky but he got the date," Dinky said.

Rumble glared slightly at his friend but brushed it off, "Dorky or not, I got my filly, now all I have to do is make sure she likes me...question is how?"

Thunderlane approached Rumble with a confident grin, "I can help you with that little brother, I'm very good when it comes to getting mares to like me after all."

Cloudchaser scoffed, "Since when? You usually get rejected or the mare never wants to see you again, the closest you had to a successful date was the time I took you on one out of pity!"

Thunderlane blushed angrily, "Well I dated Derpy once, she liked it, right Derpy?"

Derpy shook her head a bit, "I only said I liked it to make you feel better about yourself, truth be told you were kinda...weird."

Thunderlane stood with his mouth agape, "Seriously!? You're joking right?"

"Well we never went on another date so it should have been obvious that it wasn't working out," Derpy said.

Thunderlane groaned, "Wow, some friends you all are."

Flitter gave Thunderlane a sympathetic smile, "Don't worry, I'm sure there's a mare out there for you, after all you're a really nice stallion, you just need to show your more sensitive side, like Rumble does."

Thunderlane rubbed his mane back a little, "I hope so." He looked to his brother, "I'm just happy you got your mare, Sweetie Belle is a pretty filly, just like that sister of hers."

Rumble had an idea, "Maybe I can ask Sweetie Belle if her sister would date you, then both of us can date two pretty mares."

Thunderlane blushed at that, "I don't think so bro, I doubt Rarity would wanna date a guy like me, she's an Element of Harmony, she's saved Equestria a dozen times, I'm probably too common for her."

"Hey they're pretty humble girls despite that, worth a try at least right?" Rumble asked.

Thunderlane shrugged, "I guess so."

"Good, now I have a date to practice for," Rumble turned to Dinky. "Mind helping me?"

Dinky looked confused, "Huh? Why me?"

"You're a filly, so you have an idea of what a filly would like, I could really use your help on this," Rumble said.

Dinky wasn't too sure, it's hard for her to give an honest opinion about this, especially knowing how sensitive he is. "I don't know if I can do a good job Rumble, besides I might need to go home."

"Your parents aren't expecting you for another hour, you can take some time to help Rumble, he could really use it," Derpy insisted.

Dinky still looked unsure but gave in, "Eh, I'll try."

Rumble nodded, "Good, come to my room, I'm gonna work on my cool lines for her."

"Here's one tip already, don't say things to make yourself look cool," Dinky said.

"Yeah, that's your brother's biggest flaw," Cloudchaser said.

Thunderlane rolled his eyes, "Of course, you just can't handle my being awesome."

Rumble shook his head in shame as he walked to his room with Dinky. Rumble had a lot of preparing to do if he was gonna win over Sweetie Belle's affections. The two went to his room to practice for a while, the others still wondering about this.

"I hope this works out for him," Cloudchaser said.

"Yeah, he's very sensitive, it would hurt him a lot if Sweetie Belle didn't return his feelings," Flitter said.

"Unfortunately he might have to accept that possibility, we just gotta make sure we're there for him if it happens, which it hopefully won't," Derpy said.

Thunderlane rubbed his chest, "He's got this, he's my little brother after all."

That gained him a half-lid stare from the others, but hopefully Thunderlane's confidence is good luck on this.

The next day, Rumble nervously approached the Carousel Boutique, Dinky not too far behind, there to give her friend moral support.

Rumble was close to knocking on the door, but backed out last second. He started to worry about Rarity's feelings on the idea of some colt she hardly knows dating her little sister. Suppose she doesn't like him? Suppose she tells him off and ruins his chances of finding real love? Even if she doesn't suppose the date goes bad? Upsetting the little sister of one of the Elements of Harmony, a pony who has had dinners and other sorts of formal meetings with Princess Celestia herself could have bad consequences.

As he was lost in his worry, he felt a nudge from Dinky, who looked a little annoyed at the moment.

"Rumble, don't keep Sweetie Belle waiting, that's gonna leave a bad impression, you think she wants to date a colt that's gonna keep her waiting? Do you wanna lose her to that Tender Taps pony?" Dinky asked.

Rumble shook his head furiously, "Of course not, I'm just worried she may not like me, what if she finds me annoying? What if Rarity doesn't want me to date her!? I just don't think I can handle this right now Dinky."

Dinky faced Rumble towards her, "Listen to me Rumble, you are arguably the best looking colt in this village, I've seen how the other fillies have looked at you, even fillies like Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, even before they stopped being so bratty. On top of that you have a sensitivity level most colts could only dream of having, you have the combination of looks, charm and being athletic, plus you're pretty smart. Granted you're no genius like Doc or Princess Twilight, you're at least average, now quit being such a wuss, you're on the verge of dating who many ponies called the 'cutest filly in Ponyville', don't mess this up!"

Rumble could only stare in shock at Dinky's rant, but soon the words started to settle in and he knew what he needed to do. "You're right, I'm gonna go date Sweetie Belle!"

Rumble knocked on the door, this time feeling a bit more confident. Though as he waited, the trepidation started to kick back in. "But still, what if she doesn't-"

He didn't have time to finish that sentence as the door had been opened by Rarity. "Oh, hello there little colt, what brings you to my boutique?"

Rumble gulped and started to sweat at the sight of Rarity. Despite her looking calm and friendly, he couldn't help but feel nervous around her, to tell her that he's gonna date her little sister.

"H-h-hello M-m-miss Rarity...is S-S-Sweetie Belle h-h-home?" Rumble stammered out, looking really ridiculous in the process. Dinky could only hopelessly watch as her best friend made a total dork out of himself.

Luckily for Rumble, Rarity's smiled stayed in tact. "So you must be the friend Sweetie Belle said would be coming over, are you Rumble by any chance?"

Rumble nodded, "Yes, I am."

Rarity gestured inside, "You may come on in dear, Sweetie Belle is still in her room getting ready."

Rumble nodded nervously, "Y-yes Miss R-rarity."

Rarity giggled a bit, "You needn't be so nervous darling, come relax a little."

Rumble nodded again, this time without saying a word, hoping to feel a little less silly. He approached a chair and sat quietly on it, waiting for Sweetie Belle. He heard a tap at the window, when looking he saw Dinky grinning at him, hoping to give him some encouragement.

Rumble smiled back, a bit nervously and lacking confidence, but a smile nonetheless. He sat patiently awaiting Sweetie Belle.

"So, Sweetie Belle told me you two have a date correct?" Rarity asked, getting Rumble's attention.

Rumble's face went pale as he turned to Rarity, "Um...yeah, I do...you're ok with that right? Because if you're not I'll totally understand, I don't wanna upset you or get on your bad side or-"

"Rumble darling, relax yourself, I am merely curious. I will not oppose you dating my little sister, from what I've heard you sound like a very nice and responsible young colt," Rarity said.

Rumble looked confused, "Huh? Heard? From who?"

"I know your foal sitters, especially Flitter, she comes here on occasion hoping to find something nice to wear, even though the most she wears in a bow, cute bow though," Rarity said.

"Flitter's mentioned me? She hasn't said anything too embarrassing has she?" Rumble asked.

Rarity shook her head, "No darling, just that you're a very nice and well-mannered colt, something you don't see much in other colts."

Rumble blushed a bit, "Flitter's always really nice, she's like a big sister."

"Speaking of older siblings, I know your brother Thunderlane, he rescued me after I fell off a hot-air balloon, such a nice stallion."

Rumble remembered what he had promised his brother, "If you'd like I can introduce you to him again."

"That's fine darling, maybe another time, I'm really busy lately, I just got a big order to fill," Rarity said.

"Oh...if you're really busy then you should go, I can wait for Sweetie Belle by myself," Rumble said.

"It's fine, I wouldn't be a good host or older sister if I left you by yourself waiting for Sweetie Belle, besides I wanna get to know the colt that's gonna date my sister. Mind telling me what you hope to be when you get older?" Rarity asked.

Rumble tapped his chin, "Maybe a Wonderbolt, Rainbow Dash says I'm a good flyer for my age."

"Ah, trained with Rainbow Dash have you?" Rarity asked.

"Not exactly, she just prepared us for Tornado Day, I helped bringing the water to Cloudsdale," Rumble said.

Rarity looked surprised, "Wow really? You're so young though, you must be a very talented flyer."

Rumble blushed more, "Thanks, I try hard to be as good as my older brother."

"I'm sure you'll get there, just keep trying and don't give up," Rarity said.

"I won't, I practiced really hard while training, me, my brother and my foal sitters. I just hope it works out in the end," Rumble said.

"I'm sure it will," Rarity said. "You just have to keep at it, and don't stop trying. I never stopped trying to excel at being a seamstress and look where I am today."

Rumble smiled at Rarity, "You're really nice, I feel so silly for being nervous. It's great that you're so confident, I wish I could be like you."

Rarity pulled a chair and sat next to Rumble, "You can, because I myself had moments where I was so nervous, but what helped me the most was my friends, and my family, ever since I was your age. Don't ever think you can't darling, I'm sure you can."

Rumble looked at Rarity in awe, "I didn't know you had those moments, you always seemed to believe you can do certain things. Granted I'm not into fashion much, I've seen your work and I've heard ponies say such great things about you, you sound amazing."

"Everypony has moments, even Rainbow Dash, what matters is how hard you try during those moments, and I'll admit it has taken me longer to muster up confidence than I would have liked on occasion, in the end I always came through, and so can you darling," Rarity said, stroking his mane a bit.

Rumble felt touched, Rarity is a lot nicer than he thought. While he knew she was friendly and generous, this was more than he imagined.

During this, Sweetie Belle had come downstairs and saw Rumble on the chair, "Oh Rumble, you're here." She also noticed Rarity next to him, affectionately stroking his mane. "Um sis? What are you doing?"

Rarity noticed and blushed a little, "Oh, sorry, his mane is just so nice. He's a really nice boy Sweetie Belle."

Rumble blushed more, "Thanks Miss Rarity," He turned his attention to Sweetie Belle. "Truthfully I was worried about coming here late, but I guess I came early,"

"No, if anything I was late," Sweetie Belle said.

Rumble shook his head, "It's no problem, really, you probably just wanted to take time to look extra pretty."

Sweetie Belle blushed slightly, "Thanks Rumble."

Rumble realized a moment later what he had said, "Um, so I guess we should get going!" He quickly got off the chair and trotted over to the door, "Coming?"

"You go on ahead Rumble, I need to have a word with my younger sister," Rarity said.

Rumble nodded, "Of course Miss Rarity, I'll wait for you outside Sweetie Belle." Rumble quickly went outside as Rarity giggled slightly.

"That boy is so polite," Rarity turned to Sweetie Belle. "Big moment for you huh?"

"It's just a date, nothing special," Sweetie Belle said.

"Oh it is special darling, not only are you dating, you have such a nice boy to date, he seems very caring and as his foalsitter said, he's very well mannered," Rarity said.

"I guess," Sweetie Belle said.

Rarity didn't like that type of answer, "Just remember Sweetie Belle, a colt's feelings can be just as tender as a mare's, just be yourself, and try to help him feel confident. Also be a little patient, he seems nervous and it sounds like he really wants to make you happy tonight, if all goes well, you may find that he's that special pony for you."

"I doubt it, we're both young after all, our special pony could be anypony," Sweetie Belle said.

Rarity groaned, "Just be nice to him Sweetie Belle, and give it a chance, it's either him or that Button Mash colt."

"Huh? What's wrong with Button Mash? He's not that bad," Sweetie Belle said.

"Please, all he cares about is those silly video games and constantly cries for his mother, honestly I've never seen such drama from a pony" Rarity said.

Sweetie Belle face hoofed at her sister's statement, like she's any better. "Alright, see you later Rarity."

Sweetie Belle trotted off while Rarity shook her head, "I hope she can take this seriously, I'd love to be in her position, a date with a sweet and gentle stallion. Hopefully she'll realize just how precious of a chance this truly is."

Rumble is escorting Sweetie Belle to Sugarcube Corner, a bit nervously however, occasionally glancing over in her direction. He still can't believe he's on a date with a filly he's had a crush on for the last few months. She was perfect to him, pretty hair, lovely eyes, angelic voice, she had everything he wanted in a filly.

Sweetie Belle was less than thrilled, while she doesn't think Rumble's a bad choice for a date, he's not really her type. She wants a more boyish colt, Rumble seems too sensitive for her liking, and not too confident in himself, which is kind of a turn off for her.

Dinky followed from a distance, while she didn't want to be too involved and wanted Rumble to try this for himself, she also didn't wanna leave him alone too long in case he really needed her. Dinky promised Rumble she would help him get this filly and she vowed to keep that promise.

The two entered Sugarcube Corner and Dinky followed even closer, hoping to get to a window. To her surprise she noticed Apple Bloom and Tender Taps making their way towards a window.

"There they are, now stay low," Apple Bloom instructed.

Her friends gathered near the window, watching as Rumble and Sweetie Belle took their seats. Rumble looked very nervous while Sweetie Belle looked a little uninterested.

"Alright, she knows what to do, figure out what Rumble likes in a filly, then tell us so we can tell Scootaloo," Apple Bloom said.

"Right, but you still think this is a good idea? He really likes her, if this messes up it might hurt him," Tender Taps said.

"We're not, we're just trying to make everypony happy, we start by getting Scootaloo together with Rumble," Apple Bloom said.

Tender Taps shook his head almost disapprovingly as he looked more into the bakery.

Dinky tapped her chin a bit, "What are those two up to? Where's Scootaloo?" While she knows they could just be there to see if Sweetie Belle needs help, the absence of Scootaloo has her very curious. She remembers them saying that Scootaloo has a crush on Rumble, that could be why she's not there, but now she wonders if there's another reason Apple Bloom might be there. She decided to stay back and watch from a distance.

In the bakery, Pinkie Pie had just gotten to Rumble and Sweetie Belle.

"Hey Sweetie Belle, where are your friends?" Pinkie asked.

"Hi Pinkie Pie, my friends aren't here, it's just me and Rumble," Sweetie Belle said.

"We're on a...date," Rumble nervously said.

Pinkie Pie gasped so loudly and so much she started to inhale air and float up to the ceiling, much to the surprise of Rumble, not so much of Sweetie Belle since she knows Pinkie enough by now to know she's a bit strange.

Pinkie fell back down face first onto the table and looked up with a big smile, "A date! That's so amazing! Sweetie Belle's on a date! Hey Lyra, Bon Bon! Sweetie Belle's on a date!"

The two ponies, who also happened to be in the bakery, just looked to Pinkie Pie with a confused expression.

"Uh, that's nice?" Bon Bon said, not too interested.

"Yeah, super nice," Lyra said, mildly supportive.

Sweetie Belle groaned, "Don't make too big a deal out of this please, it's just a date."

"But it means you're growing up, it seems like just the other day you were the young blank flank Sweetie Belle I've always known and love," Pinkie said with a tear coming down her eye.

Sweetie Belle just stared blankly at Pinkie Pie, how a pony can be older than her yet less mature seems so weird. "Yeah...anyway can you please just take our order?"

"Sure, what will you be having!?" Pinkie said, grabbing something to write with from out of nowhere.

"I'll just have a strawberry short cake, that's all," Sweetie Belle said.

"Got it, and what about you Rumble!" Pinkie asked.

"Do you have lemon cake? Not too sweet, and not too sugary," Rumble said.

"I think we have something like that, alright coming right up," Pinkie said and dashed to the kitchen.

Sweetie Belle looked to Rumble, "Not too sweet or sugary? What's that about?"

"I usually don't eat sweets since I train with my brother, so I have to watch my diet," Rumble said.

"Oh, makes sense then," Sweetie Belle said. "So you like flying around right?"

"Yeah, my brother trains with The Wonderbolts, he and Cloudchaser are planning to join, hopefully Rainbow Dash puts in a good word for them," Rumble said.

"Oh, so are you gonna be a Wonderbolt?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Probably, I'll start out with weather pony stuff, then see where it goes from there," Rumble said.

"Sounds nice I guess," Sweetie Belle said.

The two sat there a bit, Rumble wasn't sure what to say and Sweetie Belle continued to feel awkward.

"So..." Rumble said, hoping to ease the awkward tension. "Are you gonna be a fashion pony like your sister?"

"Probably, I'm not too sure what I want to do just yet," Sweetie Belle said. "Maybe I'm go into fashion, though part of me wants to become a singer, I'm just a little nervous being on stage."

"Aw, that's a shame, you shouldn't miss out on something like that just because you're a little nervous, but something doesn't make sense. Weren't you on stage not too long ago, singing in front of everypony for a talent show?" Rumble asked.

"I just did most of the affects, and I designed our costumes, that's it, I didn't actually sing. Scootaloo handled the singing, Apple Bloom handing the martial arts stuff, I wasn't on stage that much really," Sweetie Belle said.

"That's a shame, I couldn't see it up close but I saw some pictures, you looked really cute dressed like that," Rumble said.

Sweetie Belle turned away to hide her blush, "Uh thanks, I probably won't dress like that ever again but thanks anyway."

Rumble nodded and noticed Pinkie arrive with their desserts.

"Here you go, one strawberry short cake for Sweetie Belle, and a lemon cake, not too sweet and not too sugary for Rumble," Pinkie said, putting their respective desserts down.

"Thanks Pinkie," Sweetie Belle said with a smile.

"Yes, thanks, you're really nice," Rumble said with a cheery smile.

"I'm just doing my job, but I do love the smiles," Pinkie said with a wide grin of her own.

With that, Pinkie left the two foals to their desserts.

"She's really nice, you're lucky to have a friend that always wants to make you smile," Rumble said.

"Well she's more my sister's friend, though Pinkie's nice to everypony she meets," Sweetie Belle said.

"She throws great parties though," Rumble said.

"Yeah, she even made a party for me and my friends after we got our Cutie Marks, wait were you there?" Sweetie Belle asked.

Rumble shook his head, "No, I mean I knew about it but sometimes I'm not in Ponyville, I'm in Cloudsdale with my brother and foal sitters. Kinda wish I knew though, it sounded really fun."

"Yeah, it was, sorry you weren't there," Sweetie Belle said.

Rumble shrugged it off, "It's fine, I have fun practicing with my brother at least."

"What's it like having a brother? Is it different than having a sister?" Sweetie Belle asked.

Rumble looked up as he tapped his chin, trying to think of a good answer. "Um, I don't have sisters to compare it to, the closest I have are Flitter and Cloudchaser. But Cloudchaser can be like my brother is, competitive flying and all that. Flitter is much sweeter, she likes to hug me, a lot."

Sweetie Belle giggled, "She sounds really nice, my sister can be affectionate, but she's usually very busy to pay a lot of attention to me, not that it's her fault but still. Though getting hugged a lot must be a little annoying at times."

Rumble shook his head, "It can be a little embarrassing but I don't mind it, she just loves me a lot and honestly it's very flattering. Plus her hugs are nice, they make me feel safe and happy."

Sweetie Belle felt slightly disappointed at the response but didn't show it," That's nice."

The two started to eat their desserts while thinking over the date so far. Rumble is starting to feel a little less nervous and a little more confident, he thinks he's really getting Sweetie Belle to like him, he just needs to keep it up.

Sweetie Belle however feels differently about Rumble. She thinks he's a nice colt, very friendly and a good pony to talk to. The problem is that he seems a little too sensitive for her liking, not something she wants in a coltfriend. Colts like Button Mash fit her liking, she likes that boyish attitude, makes her feel like she's talking to a colt, not talking to another filly. In fact Rumble actually looks like a filly, that just seems weird to her. The only boyish thing about Rumble is his mane, granted she actually likes the style, it's just not enough for her.

It's even times like this she doesn't fully understand Apple Bloom's apparent crush on Tender Taps. While Apple Bloom won't admit it, she knows her friend likes the tap dancing pony, but like Rumble he seems a lot more sensitive and not too confident at times. He doesn't seem like a colt, and it bugs her, but she won't say anything, she doesn't want to upset Apple Bloom and she doesn't wanna upset Tender Taps either. Despite his non-boyish attitude, he's still a friend, she could never say something to upset a friend.

Outside Apple Bloom is getting frustrated, "Now they're quiet again, she's supposed to be finding out what Rumble likes in a filly so we can tell Scootaloo."

"I still don't like this plan, this might really hurt his feelings," Tender Taps said.

"Come on, there's no way a boy like him is that sensitive, he likes flying, he's competitive, he's an athlete, I'm sure he can take it," Apple Bloom said.

Tender Taps shook his head, "So you think he should be like Scootaloo and not talk about his feelings because he's an athlete?"

Apple Bloom blushed a little, "Right, if Scootaloo were a little more vocal about her feelings then maybe we wouldn't be in this situation."

"Rumble seems to be an emotional colt, I can tell just from looking at him. He's probably very delicate, not too delicate but it's there," Tender Taps said.

Apple Bloom looked to Rumble, watching as he ate his cake, taking a few glances at Sweetie Belle, who just ate her cake without much care.

"Ah hope Sweetie Belle can let him down gently though," Apple Bloom said.

Inside the two finally finished their meals just in time for Pinkie to arrive. Rumble of course covered the cost.

"Thanks for being a good waitress Pinkie Pie, not just getting our food, but I love being around your fun loving attitude and your pretty smile" Rumble said with a cheery smile.

"Aw, thank you for that, you're such a nice colt. I'm glad Sweetie Belle found herself a great coltfriend like you," Pinkie said and gave him a small hug, which he seemed to greatly appreciate.

Sweetie Belle turned away with a blush, she really didn't want to be considered his marefriend right now, it was only one date. Plus that last part he said seemed a little sappy for her liking.

Even Apple Bloom and Tender Taps looked surprised at what they were seeing.

"Quite a charming colt," Apple Bloom said.

"Yeah he's sweet, he actually has a cute smile," Tender Taps said.

"He might be cuter than Sweetie Belle almost," Apple Bloom said.

"Well he's cute for a colt, but Sweetie Belle is cute for a filly, so good combination," Tender Taps said.

Apple Bloom felt a bit jealous, but she knew that he's just saying that as an observation so she wasn't too upset. She continued to focus on the date.

Rumble and Sweetie Belle soon left Sugarcube Corner, the colt feeling confident so far and the filly feeling a bit odd.

"So do you want me to walk you home?" Rumble asked.

"Sure, I guess," Sweetie Belle said, not really caring.

Rumble very eagerly walked her home, feeling a little more confident while Sweetie Belle did her best to hide her disinterest. The date wasn't bad, but she just didn't feel a romantic connection with him. At least this shows that should Scootaloo get together with Rumble, he'll be great company to have around.

Apple Bloom and Tender Taps continued to watch the two from a distance.

"This might be hard, he really seems to like being around her," Apple Bloom said.

"I say just leave it be, Sweetie Belle barely seemed interested, we don't need to do anything," Tender Taps said.

"But we wanna make sure Scootaloo's in a good position so when she dumps him, at least she'll be there, plus if he's as emotional as you say he is, he might end up loving her for that," Apple Bloom said.

"Seems a little...sneaky though," Tender Taps said.

"Sneaky huh?" they heard a familiar voice say. Both turned around to see a suspicious looking Dinky. "What are you two up to?"

Both Apple Bloom and Tender Taps looked a bit worried.

"Nothing really, just walking around," Apple Bloom said, hoping to cover up.

"Walking around huh? Any reason you've been watching over Rumble and Sweetie Belle?" Dinky asked.

Apple Bloom bit her lip a little, feeling somewhat nervous. "Um...well you see..."

"We were just making sure everything went smoothly," Tender Taps said, covering for Apple Bloom.

Dinky still didn't seem convinced, "Uh-huh...so tell me, where's Scootaloo?"

Apple Bloom looked around nervously, hoping that an answer will just pop up. "She's...practicing with Rainbow Dash?"

Dinky just glared half eyed at Apple Bloom. "Times like this you remind me how much you are like your sister, neither of you are good at deceiving others. To me that means you're too good a pony to do that, so I expect you to be that good pony that I know and respect and not try to give me some bogus story. But I'm gonna be nice and go with what you said, just remember this." Dinky got in Apple Bloom's face, "Rumble's emotions are not to be toyed with, he's very sensitive and his feelings can hurt really easily if you're not careful. So do NOT mess this up for Rumble, he's waited so long to date Sweetie Belle only for you to sabotage it just because Scootaloo thinks she has a chance to be his marefriend. Rumble doesn't like her that way, he has a crush on Sweetie Belle! So back off, because if you hurt Rumble, I will never forgive you!" Dinky turned to Tender Taps, "That also applies for you, don't mess it up!"

Apple Bloom and Tender Taps looked a little concerned, they had never seen Dinky like this, she's really protective of Rumble it seems, probably due to his sensitive nature. Within moments Dinky had left the two alone as they began to rethink certain things. Is it worth taking a chance on the idea that Rumble can fall in love with Scootaloo? Or are they better off leaving things as is and hoping it turns out well? Tender Taps wants to leave Rumble be, but Apple Bloom, stubborn as she is, still thinks they can work for a happier outcome for all the ponies. They just need to watch out, Dinky is a lot more intimidating than she looks.

Author's Note:

Time to see where things go from here.