• Published 6th Nov 2016
  • 2,960 Views, 49 Comments

Sweet Affection - Masterob



Apple Bloom's attempts to set Rumble up with Scootaloo result in potential love between Rumble and Sweetie Belle

  • ...
9
 49
 2,960

Blooming Love

The next day at the park, near a big tree which was able to provide comfortable shading, Rarity had set up the picnic blanket for Sweetie Belle and Rumble, the latter expected to be here any moment.

Sweetie Belle laid out the treats for Rumble, knowing what he eats and doesn't eat. She had to admit, she's almost looking forward to this. Even if she says he's not her type, she still thinks Rumble is a very nice boy to be around, and she does at least want him as a friend.

Rarity could see Rumble approaching from the distance, Thunderlane not too far behind. "Here they come Sweetie Belle, get ready."

Sweetie Belle fluffed her hair almost on instinct, which didn't go unnoticed by Rarity. She can see that Sweetie Belle truly wants to impress Rumble, even if the young filly isn't fully aware of that herself.

Rumble had approached the mares with a friendly wave, "Great to see you Sweetie Belle, you too Miss Rarity."

"Same to you Rumble dear," Rarity said.

Sweetie Belle shyly waved, then blushed when Rumble approached her with a flower, "I got this for you. Hold still a moment, I wanna give it to you properly." Rumble placed the flower in her mane, so that only the petals showed.

Sweetie Belle's blush remained, "Thanks, it's really nice Rumble."

"I'm glad you like it, you really make that flower look prettier," Rumble said.

Sweetie Belle turned away, not wanting to show off her blushing face anymore. How can this colt be so charming? It's kinda frustrating. She needed to continue this conversation quickly, it was becoming really awkward really fast. "There's some snacks for you there. I know you don't eat certain things, so I got you ones fitting for your diet."

Rarity patted Sweetie Belle's head, "She was very detailed in what you want, she seems to know you pretty well."

Sweetie Belle shook her head, "I only had two dates Rarity, and I gave you a fact that's not too hard to remember."

"But you did remember at least," Rarity said, then gestured to a snack on Rumble's side. "You also made sure to get him a fitting snack."
Rumble sat down and tasted the grain chips. "These taste great, thanks Sweetie Belle."

"It's no big deal," Sweetie Belle said, sitting across from him.

As the two began to chat, Thunderlane had flown up beside Rarity. "Didn't take long for their date to start."

"No, not at all, they've taken quite a liking to each other," Rarity said.

"Yeah, I'm just glad that Rumble was able to finally ask her out. He's had a crush on her for a while, but he was too nervous to say anything," Thunderlane said.

"Your brother does seem like the shy type, if he needs help with his shyness he can talk with my friend Fluttershy," Rarity said.

"Fluttershy? Oh I remember her, big hero of Tornado Day," Thunderlane said, then looked aside. "I'm not sure if Rumble would want to talk to her though."

Rarity looked confused, "Huh? Why do you say that?"

Thunderlane looked over to the two foals, so far neither of them had overheard anything so far, just talking amongst each other. Thunderlane gestured Rarity to follow her a bit further away, which she obliged.

Once far away enough, Thunderlane began to speak, "Thing is, Rumble isn't too fond of Fluttershy."

"Huh? Why isn't he?" Rarity asked.

"Rumble hated that Rainbow Dash was so hard on the other ponies, especially me, and seemed to go a lot easier on Fluttershy. She had a habit of calling me 'lazy', yet let Fluttershy stay home all week. I know she came in last minute and really helped us out, especially since I got sick that day, but Rumble just didn't like how Rainbow Dash seemed to play favorites," Thunderlane said.

Rarity looked a bit toward Rumble, who's focused entirely on his conversation with Sweetie Belle. "Didn't think a sweet boy like that would dislike somepony, though I can understand, it isn't too fair that Fluttershy got special treatment, but you also need to understand something about her."

"I'm listening," Thunderlane said, sitting down before Rarity, to which she did the same.

"Rainbow Dash wasn't hard on Fluttershy because she knows that won't work. Fluttershy doesn't respond well to tough talk, and Fluttershy is a weak flyer usually. She has her moments, but she can't channel them as often, only if the situation is urgent. She was tough on you most likely because she expected better from you, if she calls what you did lazy there's a good chance she just means that you can do better. It's her way of showing support, unusual but Rainbow Dash wouldn't do this without reason," Rarity said.

Thunderlane looked a little surprised, "Huh, didn't think of it that way. I'll be sure to let Rumble know that. It's not like he doesn't like them, but it's still something he's bitter about."

"Understandable, we all have our moments after all, I've had mine, I remember when I was jealous of Fluttershy, then I found out that all I needed to do was talk to her about my feelings, you'd be amazed how quickly that problem was solved," Rarity said.

"Rumble's just not good at talking, hopefully he can gain more confidence, which is why I really hope he and your sister connect well, since dating her he's seemed more happy and confident, and that's only after two days," Thunderlane said.

"This is good for Sweetie Belle too, a chance for her to not always worry about doing wacky things with her friends," Rarity said.

"Her friends are pretty nice though, Rainbow Dash loves to talk about Scootaloo, she even bragged out how she'll one day be a great flyer, once she actually learns to fly," Thunderlane said.

"Is it unusual that she can't fly yet?" Rarity asked.

"Not really, some foals take longer than others. I'm sure Fluttershy couldn't fly too well when she was younger, probably why she got so nervous during practice," Thunderlane said.

Rarity looked again to Rumble and Sweetie Belle, this time Rumble seems to be making gestures with his hooves, showing one hoof move across the air, as if he were trying to demonstrate flying. Sweetie Belle seemed entertained, she hadn't taken her eyes off him since the date started.

"Such a sweet little boy," she turned back to Thunderlane. "So, I take it you taught him about dating?"

Thunderlane rubbed his head sheepishly, "Most of his teachings came from Flitter and Cloudchaser, they say my ways aren't exactly...effective."

"Oh, care to show me how you handle a date?" Rarity said with a grin.

Thunderlane blushed a bit, especially considering he just realized that he's been talking with this mare the last few minutes like it was no big deal. Maybe this is his chance to have a real date with one of the most attractive mares in Ponyville.

"Uh, sure, I'd love to," Thunderlane with a somewhat confident smile.

Meanwhile Apple Bloom and Tender Taps have arrived in the park, joined by an unconfident Scootaloo.

"Is there a point to this Apple Bloom?" Scootaloo asked.

"Of course, we're gonna get you close enough so you can observe Rumble fer yerself and figure out a way for him to like ya," Apple Bloom said.

"Why do you keep trying to pair me up with Rumble?" Scootaloo asked.

"Because you have a crush on him," Apple Bloom pointed out bluntly.

"I don't have a crush on Rumble!" Scootaloo said sternly, then looked aside, maintaining her serious expression. "All I said was that he's kinda cute, that's all."

"And that's yer way of saying you have a crush on him, why else would ya complain over the fact that he asked out Sweetie Belle, this being their third date too," Apple Bloom said.

"How did she even end up dating him three times anyway? She doesn't like sensitive type colts, saying she wants a colt that can balance out her own sensitivity," Scootaloo said.

"She's just getting info on the kid, then once she gives it to you, she'll dump him and he's all yours," Apple Bloom said.

"Can we please not say it like that? It sounds really mean," Tender Taps complained.

"Fine, point is that Scootaloo will get Rumble after he's done 'dating' Sweetie Belle," Apple Bloom said.

Scootaloo scoffed, "What so I'm just a second choice for the kid?"

"Hey you want to date Rumble or not?" Apple Bloom asked.

"I do...I mean I don't care...I mean...ugh! Whatever!" Scootaloo complained, rubbing her mane while shaking her head. "Let's just hurry this up, it's so frustrating!"

Tender Taps groaned, "See, this is why I was against this idea."

"Look, we came this far, let's finish what we started alright!?" Apple Bloom said, getting a reluctant nod from her two friends.

The three foals moved closer to the picnic area, out of sight from either pony. They found a bush to hide in so they can hear their conversation. So far it sounds like Sweetie Belle is going on about probably doing fashion like her sister.

"What's she doing? She's supposed to be asking about him, not telling him about herself," Apple Bloom said.

"Maybe she's just trying to make it seem like a convincing date," Tender Taps suggested.

They continued to listen in, Sweetie Belle eventually started telling Rumble about her time in the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

"She's making it awfully convincing," Apple Bloom complained.

Tender Taps looked around nervously, "Hey you don't think Dinky's around do you?"

"Why are ya so worried about Dinky, there's three of us and one of her," Apple Bloom said.

"Still, I don't wanna get on her bad side," Tender Taps said, sweating a bit.

Scootaloo got curious, "Why's he afraid of Dinky? She looks harmless."

"She warned us not to break up Rumble and Sweetie Belle, but ah ain't taking her seriously," Apple Bloom said.

"But she honestly did sound serious, maybe we should just play it safe and-" Tender Taps was interrupted by an annoyed Apple Bloom.

"Listen if you don't wanna help, then don't. But don't expect me to dance with yah at the next recital you have," Apple Bloom warned.

"But...you promised. It's a country style routine, I need your help with that," Tender Taps said.

"You'll have tah find somepony else, but unfortunately fer you, I'm the only filly in this town that knows country style, so unless you don't want mah help, keep yer trap shut!" Apple Bloom warned.

Tender Taps looked a bit hurt by Apple Bloom's statement, even Scootaloo looked surprised. She did like Rumble, more than she would like to admit, but she doesn't want Tender Taps to have to go through this if he doesn't feel up to it.

The foals just sat there for the next hour, watching from the bushes. Apple Bloom was the most determined looking while Scootaloo looked a little bored and Tender Taps still thinking over what Apple Bloom said. The dance routine wasn't just for him to know country style, he could learn it from Applejack if he needs to, but he mainly just wants to spend more time with Apple Bloom. So for her to threaten backing out upset him in many ways.

Eventually the date came to an end, Rumble helping Sweetie Belle up as he called for Rarity and Thunderlane, both of whom were also enjoying their chat together.

"That was fun, shall we go home now?" Rarity asked.

"Sure, but Rumble can walk me there right?" Sweetie Belle asked, getting a blush from Rumble.

"That's ok with you, right Thunderlane?" Rumble asked.

"Sure, no problem with me at all," Thunderlane said, secretly also wanting to spend a little more time with Rarity.

"Great, let's get going then," Rarity said.

The four ponies trotted off to the Carosuel Boutique, with Apple Bloom and her friends soon following a bit later.

"Hurry up, we gotta talk to Sweetie Belle as soon as possible," Apple Bloom said.

Tender Taps and Scootaloo both seemed annoyed with this but did as Apple Bloom had asked.

They arrived at the Boutique not too long later, the two stallions opening the doors for the two mares.

"Such Gentlecolts," Rarity said, going inside with Sweetie Belle.

"So I guess I'll see you another time? Hopefully tomorrow?" Rumble asked.

Sweetie Belle looked to Rarity, "That's ok with you?"

Thunderlane had an idea, "If you'd like, you can come over tomorrow night for dinner, all four of us."

"Like a double date?" Rumble asked.

Thunderlane blushed, looking towards Rarity, "Sure, if you don't mind Rarity."

"Not at all, you are charming to be around Thunderlane, me and Sweetie Belle will see you boys tomorrow," Rarity said.

"Sweet, bye Rarity, you too Sweetie Belle," Thunderlane said.

"Bye Sweetie Belle, you too Miss Rarity," Rumble said.

"Rumble darling, I think it's ok if you drop the formalities, you don't need to put 'Miss' in front of my name," Rarity said.

Rumble looked surprised, "Wow, really? Ok um...Rarity? I'll see you and Sweetie Belle tomorrow."

Rarity giggled a bit, "You're too cute."

Before the two stallions left, Rumble quickly walked back in and gave Sweetie Belle a quick kiss to her cheek, surprsing everypony watching, especially Sweetie Belle herself. Even Rumble was amazed that he did that, he just let his love guide him.

"Wow..." Sweetie Belle said, blinking a bit.

Rumble blushed a lot after that bold move, "Um, so...bye."

Rumble quickly flew off as Thunderlane chuckled to himself. He too then flew off, leaving Sweetie Belle very surprised and Rarity with a coy smile.

"Somepony really likes you," Rarity teased.

Sweetie Belle turned away, "It's nothing, just a small kiss, could have been better."

"Are you still gonna deny this? Admit it, you like spending time with Rumble," Rarity said.

Sweetie Belle blushed, "He's a good friend, I'm not sure if he could be my coltfriend though..."

"Oh Sweetie Belle, soon you'll get over this denial and realize just how much you like this colt," Rarity said.

Sweetie Belle sighed, her sister might have a point, but she can't fall in love with him, he's not her type. So why does she suddenly have these weird feelings? Especially considering that she didn't exactly hate the kiss he gave to her.

"I'm going to my room," Sweetie Belle said, then walked upstairs to figure things out.

Rarity couldn't help but smile, seems like she and her sister found two great stallions, but before she could close the door, Apple Bloom had appeared in front of it with her friends.

"Howdy Rarity, may we see Sweetie Belle a minute?" Apple Bloom asked.

Rarity looked a little curious and a bit suspicious, this is the second day in a row that Apple Bloom needed to see Sweetie Belle after a date, and this time she not only brought Tender Taps, but Scootaloo as well.

"Is there something I should know about Apple Bloom?" Rarity asked.

Apple Bloom looked concerned a moment, but brushed it off as she shook her head, "No, nothing to know about..."

Rarity still seemed suspicious, she's known Apple Bloom long enough to know the farmer filly always seemed to have something weird planned out. "You may see her for a few minutes, but please try not to cause any commotion."

"Come on, we're older than that by now Rarity, we're practically grown ponies" Apple Bloom said with a confident smile, though Rarity showed she wasn't convinced with a look of disapproval. "Seriously we ain't gonna do anything weird."

Rarity simply stepped aside as Apple Bloom quickly went upstairs followed by Scootaloo and Tender Taps, the latter called by Rarity.
"Tender Taps, a moment please."

Tender Taps stopped a moment, then looked to Apple Bloom while gesturing to Rarity.

"Go on, me and Scoots can handle talking to Sweetie Belle," Apple Bloom said, then hurried Scootaloo along.

"I'm waiting young colt!" Rarity said with some authority in her voice.

Tender Taps gulped and approached the older mare, "Yes ma'am?"

"Don't call me 'ma'am', I'm not an old mare," Rarity corrected, her expression showing signs of disapproval.

"Ok, um did you need something Rarity?" Tender Taps asked.

"Miss Rarity," Rarity corrected.

Tender Taps nodded nervously, "Right, Miss Rarity, did you need anything?"

"Young colt, do you know if Apple Bloom is up to something she shouldn't be?" Rarity asked.

Tender Taps gulped, sweating quite a bit before the mare in front of him. "N-n-not exactly."

"What do you mean by 'not exactly'?" Rarity asked, maintaining a serious glare.

"Well...she's just curious about Rumble and Sweetie Belle's relationship, that's all," Tender Taps said, hoping that would be enough.

"Curious huh?" Rarity said. "Is that really it?"

Tender Taps nodded nervously, "Yes ma'-erm I mean Rar-Miss Rarity!"

Rarity rubbed her chin suspiciously, "Alright, I'll go with that explanation...for now." She lowered down to his face. "I should hope though that her 'curiosity' doesn't cause any major trouble, so I'm counting on you to make sure that doesn't happen."

Tender Taps looked surprised, "M-me?"

"Yes Tender Taps, you seem like a really responsible young colt, so I can trust you to keep an eye on Apple Bloom, I can trust you correct?" Rarity asked with a more serious glare.

Tender Taps quickly nodded, "Yes, of course you can..."

"Good, now run along to your friends now, but remember, if you break my trust, you won't like how I handle that," Rarity said, giving a more intimidating glare.

Tender Taps gulped, "Yes...will do Miss Rarity, I promise not to disappoint you." Tender Taps quickly trotted upstairs with Rarity going on her own business.

Meanwhile upstairs, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were talking to Sweetie Belle about the date and the kiss.

"Sweetie Belle, you gotta end this soon, he's getting into ya more and more by the second!" Apple Bloom said.

"What am I supposed to do Apple Bloom, tell the kid to buzz off? I can't just do that, he's really happy and I don't wanna end that too soon," Sweetie Belle said.

"But if ya don't, then he's gonna fall even more in love with ya!" Apple Bloom said.

"Well...I can't control that, he just really likes me," Sweetie Belle said.

"Then make him not like you!" Apple Bloom said.

Sweetie Belle raised her eyebrow, "How am I supposed to do that?"

"Instead of being this cute and cuddly filly, just do the opposite, be tough and show-offy," Apple Bloom said.

"You mean like Scootaloo?" Sweetie Belle pointed out, annoying her friend.

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean!?" Scootaloo angrily asked.

"You're not exactly cute and cuddly, and you probably can't handle his sensitivity," Sweetie Belle said.

"I can so handle that! I'm sensitive enough around you aren't I?" Scootaloo asked.

"Not always, you can be a little mean," Sweetie Belle said.

Scootaloo looked confused, "What!? Sweetie Belle I've always been nice to you, even before we met Apple Bloom I've always been there for you."

"I know Scootlaoo, I'm not saying you weren't a good friend, I just don't think you can handle dating a colt like Rumble, you'd have to change, a lot, and he might notice if you're faking it," Sweetie Belle said.

Scootaloo huffed, "I can so make a good marefriend for Rumble."

Apple Bloom grinned, "Ah told ya that you liked him."

Scootaloo turned away with a pout, "Oh be quiet, I'm just trying to make a point here."

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes, "When's yer next date? You set one up yet?"

"Tomorrow night at his house, me and Rarity are having dinner with him and his brother, it's gonna be a double date," Sweetie Belle said.

Apple Bloom looked surprised, "Wait, now his brother's dating yer sister...that's gonna make things a bit complicated." Apple Bloom had an idea, "Ah know, maybe Rainbow Dash can help, if she gets together with Thunderlane instead of yer sister-"

"Don't start messing with my sister's love life Apple Bloom!" Sweetie Belle warned. "Just let me handle this, and stop trying to match up other ponies! It won't work, you're not Princess Cadance!"

Apple Bloom groaned, "Fine, but remember, fix this quickly or yer gonna be stuck with him."

Sweetie Belle crossed her forelegs as Apple Bloom and Scootaloo left the room. On the way out, the two passed by Tender Taps, who looked a bit worried.

"Is everything ok in there?" Tender Taps asked.

"Everything's fine, let's talk more outside," Apple Bloom said.

The foals rushed out the Botique, though not before Rarity glanced towards Tender Taps, which the young pony noticed, freaking him out a bit.

Once outside, Apple Bloom turned to Tender Taps, "So what did Rarity want with you?"

"She just asked about what you were up to...then said the same thing Dinky said," Tender Taps said.

Apple Bloom groaned, "Seriously? What's with ponies not wanting Rumble and Sweetie Belle to break up?"

"Might as well give up, Sweetie Belle got the kid, I didn't, it's lame but there's not much we can do," Scootaloo said.

Apple Bloom shook her head, "No, it's not too late. I want you to be happy Scootaloo, so I'm gonna make sure you get yer colt."

Scootaloo shook her head, "It's nice that you care Apple Bloom, but I don't want you to go through so much trouble for me."

"Listen, despite how many times you've denied it, you've been all love struck over Rumble fer a long time, plus Sweetie Belle ain't into sensitive colts, she's just being nice because she don't wanna hurt his feelings, that's why we need tah do this," Apple Bloom said.

Scootaloo shrugged a bit, "Well I guess I do like Rumble, a little bit at least...but what if this doesn't work."

"It will, trust me, ah won't let you down," Apple Bloom said with a reassuring smile.

Scootaloo nodded, then turned to Tender Taps. "Listen, you don't need to trouble yourself either. We haven't known you that long so don't feel like you need to follow us on something so weird."

Tender Taps looked down a bit unsurely, "It's not that I don't wanna help you, I'm just not sure if this should be done." He looked toward Scootaloo, "I still wanna try and help you, we're friends after all, at least I think we're friends."

"I'd like to think that we are, the fact that you're even tolerating our weirdness shows us you're a good friend to have," Scootaloo said.

Tender Taps smiled at her kindness, "Thanks, anyway I should get home now. I have some dance recitals to practice for soon."

Before he left, Apple Bloom called out, "Listen Tender Taps, I'm sorry fer what ah said to you before, ah shouldn't break mah promise to yah just because we're doing something you ain't too comfortable with. I still wanna be yer partner, if you still want me."

Tender Taps felt a huge relief, "Thanks Apple Bloom, and of course I want you to be my partner, it wouldn't feel right without you."

Apple Bloom gave a cheery smile, "Great, see ya then." Tender Taps trotted away as Apple Bloom turned back to Scootaloo. "Now let's get you all cute like and sensitive."

Scootaloo cringed a bit, "Um, how exactly?"

Apple Bloom tapped her chin, "Ah know! Fluttershy! She'll know how to help us."

"Fluttershy? You sure about that?" Scootaloo said a bit unsure.

"Yeah, come on then, let's hurry," Apple Bloom said, dragging Scootaloo along with her.

As Tender Taps made his way home, he came across a very familiar filly.

"Hey you," Dinky said, walking toward Tender Taps. The dancing pony freaked out and backed away a little.

"Now listen Dinky, let's not do anything we shouldn't be doing," Tender Taps said with a nervous sweat.

Dinky groaned, "Calm down, I'm not mad at you or anything, I just need to talk to you a moment."

Tender Taps stopped, reluctantly trusting Dinky. "What is it?"

Dinky stopped before him, "Look, you seem like a nice colt, and it also looks like you're getting dragged around by Apple Bloom into doing things you shouldn't. You and I both know what Apple Bloom is trying to do isn't a good idea, so I'm gonna need your help to make sure

Rumble and Sweetie Belle stay together. You do want that right?"

Tender Taps shrugged, "I just want everypony to be happy, Rumble and Sweetie Belle do look cute together."

"They do, and trust me when I say that Rumble won't be happy with Scootaloo. Now it may upset her but you're gonna have to accept that fact, otherwise you'll get even more unhappy ponies. Just please try to talk Apple Bloom out of this," Dinky pleaded.

Tender Taps nodded, "I'll try, I'm just worried that she won't wannna be my friend if I do."

"If she really is your friend, she wouldn't be making you do this. Plus if she does mess up this relationship, I'll mess up her face, and I know you don't want that," Dinky warned. "She may be strong, but she doesn't know magic like I do."

Tender Taps looked surprised, "I'll try, but please don't pick a fight with her, you're both too pretty for that."

Dinky fluffed her mane a bit, "Thanks, you're not too bad looking yourself."

Tender Taps blushed upon hearing that, "Wow, thanks."

Dinky patted his face with a hint of affection, "Tell you what, even if Apple Bloom dumps you, I'll be there for you, alright?"

Tender Taps felt weird, but agreed to what she had to say. "Alright..."

Dinky smiled at that and walked off triumphantly, knowing she did what she needed to do for her friend.

Tender Taps still felt a bit awkward, feeling really unsure. "I need some advice." He quickly made his way toward the Castle of Friendship and knocked. Seconds later, the pony he wanted to see answered the door.

"Oh, it's you, Tender Taps right?" Twilight said.

"Yeah, I'm sorry to bother you but I really need some friendship advice," Tender Tap said.

Twilight nodded with a friendly smile, "It's no bother, come on in, tell me about your troubles."

Tender Taps nodded and followed inside the castle, hoping Twilight could help him.

Author's Note:

Looks like Sweetie Belle's liking Rumble much more, and just when Scootaloo finally admits her own feelings.