• Published 5th Nov 2016
  • 623 Views, 130 Comments

Aurthur visits Equestria - James Fire



King Aurthur of the Taledine Empire is transported to Equestria due to a wormhole generator malfunction.

  • ...
9
 130
 623

Apprenticeship

Now that Celestia is out of my hair, or would it be mane? Whatever. I can get to work. Pulling out the magic books Twilight Sparkle gave me, I also think back to the previous afternoon. It seems weird that she blushed right after her wings popped out, they do that for me too, but only in tense or dangerous situations. As far as I can tell, that point in time was neither. Maybe I should just ask her about it? Next time I see her, I think I will. Oh well, that's for next time I see her. For now, I pour myself into studying this worlds primary magic discipline.

Several hours later, I have determined that the discipline is very powerful, but limited. Powerful, because anyone can cast any spell, but limited, because magic users must focus their magic through a crystal or similar object, as well as only being able to draw on mana stored within themself. This is similar to my primary discipline, but also vastly different. My discipline is not quite as powerful, because we don't usually cast the spell through another object, but it is also less limited. It would appear that casting through an inanimate object removes the stress of the spell from the caster, allowing them to cast spells that would otherwise distintegrate them or the like. I just reinforced my body with magical wards and strengthening spells, allowing much more mana than would normally be allowed to flow through.

However, I could combine them, allowing me to cast any spell without ill effects, while eliminating the drawbacks of their discipline. It seems to me that they just don't know how to draw on external mana. Except for those runes I saw in the ruins, but those are permanent spells, not an ethereal connection. The main difference being that runes are material, while an ethereal connection is not.

Anyway, I will try their method of casting, but later. I need to get more spell books from Twilight Sparkle, as well, as show up to Celestia's court to see about getting the necessary elements to fix my ship.

So, powering up my horn with the teleport spell, I prepare to transport out. Before I do, a shockwave ripples through the magical plane near me, causing me to not only become disoriented, but to also lose the spell I was charging. A fairly powerful blast would have been required to make that, even if it was on the magical plane itself. If it was on the material plane, then that would mean there is a new crater on the planet.

Ugh, that one hurt a bit. Snapping my attention to where it came from, I look out into the magic plane, searching for anything that could have caused it. A shockwave like that could be caused by a node being used as a massive bomb, or maybe as someone using primarily dark magic trying to draw on the planes of magic directly, or even just a plain and simple magic duel. Between two beings of significant power. Not fun. I then power up and teleport to the epicentre of the blast, coming out in the frozen wasteland north of my base location. Great, what the hell is up here that could have caused that?

Author's Note:

Any guesses?