• Published 28th Nov 2011
  • 9,280 Views, 677 Comments

Winter's Howl - 71NYL-5CR4TCH



Rainbow Dash x Custom Character shipping with lots of comedy

  • ...
18
 677
 9,280

Sequel

Sequel has been posted! 'Spring's Song' the winner of my reader votes, is now up and available for viewing! Hope you guys like it!

Comments ( 11 )

I CONCUR WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENTS

849659
'Twilight' as in the book series...with the sparkly vampires...

Only fic in history of fics that has made me cry.

HUGE fucking bravo

1758150
quite a bit.
bit.
equestrian unit of currency.
bit.

Awesome story! :pinkiehappy: at first I was like :twilightsmile: then I was like :pinkiehappy: then :raritydespair: then :rainbowhuh: and finally :pinkiesad2: with bits of :twilightoops: sprinkled in...good job :pinkiehappy:

1758150
Bit. As in currency...

4153414 rofl, you're a little late to the partu brah!

Well, this was a damn fun read. It wasn't a masterpiece -- pretty much all of the conflict felt very rushed -- it all resolved itself in the same chapter, or the chapter directly after, it seemed. Not bad, but none of the conflict had the weight it deserved, in my opinion.

Another issue, in my eyes, was the death of the stepfather. While it was sad, we didn't really see/know enough about the stepfather to get emotionally invested in him. When he died, all I could think was "Meh, that sucks... moving on."

All in all, I had a lot of fun with this story -- the characters were great, and though the romance all happened quite quickly, it worked out really well in the end.

If I had to choose any one complaint for this story, it would be that it was too short. This was a solid story as-is, but if it were long and the characters/conflicts more drawn out, it could've been great. If I were to choose one great part of the story, it would be your characters. Gods damn your characters felt so right, with the exception of Applejack. Your portrayal of Rainbow, in particular, I absolutely love. Applejacks character felt really lacking and the conflict involving her could've been done better, but solid as hell everywhere else.

This is pretty minor, but the story could've benefited from a proof-reader. There was a handful of words/sentences that were improper or the wrong word for the context. Nothing major, but it could use a fine-toothed proofread.
__________________________
IN SUMMARY
Your characterization for your main characters [Rainbow Dash/Scootaloo/Snowstorm] is friggin' awesome.
Your characterization for secondary characters {particularly conflict characters} [Applejack/Snowstorm's father/Sea Mist] could use some work.
Your conflict as a whole could use a bit more expansion... it all resolved quite quickly.
The romance, though starting up quite quickly, worked out pretty well in the end.
Your characterization... again. Seriously. Your character for Rainbow Dash felt fucking awesome.

Sorry for the hazardously formatted comment - s'late. I may try to organize it a bit better later.

Login or register to comment