• Published 21st Jun 2012
  • 656 Views, 18 Comments

Echoes in the Soul - FluttershyAllTheWay



Echo is far from popular, but can he muster the courage to confess his feelings to Soul?

  • ...
 18
 656

Chapter 6 (Finale!)

A few days later there was a booming knock at the door. As Echo jumped up from the sofa he was sprawled across, he glanced out of the window to see who it was. It was Soul. Echo yanked the door open.

"Hey Echo! I just wondered if for our date we should go to see 'Ponies in black 3' at the local theatre. It shows tomorrow at 8:30pm." Soul said with bright, hopeful eyes.

"Uhh, yeah! Of course!" Echo replied with enthusisasm. He would do anything with his love. His love forever. He leaned in to give Soul a warming hug. There had been an insanely strong storm recently blowing around Equestria, and everypony had been warned to stay indoors as often as possible by Celestia.

Still, this warning was worth ignoring for Soul.

The next day crept upon him fast like an advancing shadow. He was ready. His mane was brushed superbly and he wore some smart clothes. He gathered up money for both tickets just as a knock at the door was audible to him.

Echo slowly pulled the door open to a sight he had never set eyes on before: and he never wanted to take them off. Soul was looking beautiful. She wore a beautiful dress and had dolled herself up a little. This was to be their first and probably most memorable date. It would definitely by a day to remember for the both of them.

As Echo stepped out of the door, he spoke to Soul. " I got money for both of us, don't worry about paying" He winked furiously at his statement.

"Oh, my dear Echo is such a gentleman." Soul replied with a smirk wide across her muzzle. Echo blushed strongly. Soul just laughed to herself and sighed a deep and happy sigh.

The two headed off to the theatre, minds racing with young love and their flanks brushing together. The excitement radiated off of them in waves and they trotted happily across the night skies horizon.



*******************************************



Echo and Soul exited the Theatre in unison. Echo had found the film a bit bland and drab, but he refrained from saying anything because Soul had clearly enjoyed the film. The weather had definitely worsened since before the film. Before, the wind had been calm and cooling, plus rain was non-existent. Now, however, the wind had really picked up and the rain was apparent and abundant.

Echo shielded Soul from the wind and rain as best he could. She smiled sweetly and gratefully at him, warming him up from all the dull weather around him.

"So, did you want to some round mine for a bit? I could fix up a daisy sandwich for each of us; you could stay until the weather calms down too." Echo asked coolly. Soul beamed with gratitude and pleasure, causing Echo to blush ferociously. They both began the winding trek home through the torrential weather together walking silently but very close, in an almost intimate way. They both mirrored each other in walking styles, and it became apparent that two ponies had become one.

Suddenly, the winded gusted even stronger than before, picking up a large wooden cart. As Echo fought for his balance in the biting wind, not paying any attention, Soul looked up and screamed.

"NO! ECHO!" She shrieked in panic. The cart was flying towards Echo, tumbling and splintering as it sped across the ground. Echo looked up wearily and saw the cart. It was too late to react. He just winced and sat there, bracing himself for the pain and hoping it wouldn't be scarring.

Out of the corner of his eye, he caught Soul diving through the air in front of him. Everything was occurring in slow motion. Soul closed her eyes and braced herself for impact. He watched in fear as the cart smashed into Soul's back,careering off course and past Echo. Soul had saved his life!

"Oh my god Soul that was amazing! You saved me! I lo-" Echo froze in horror as he turned Soul over slowly. Her Side was bleeding furiously and her expression was glazed. She lay in a pool of her blood and her coat was matted as deep lacerations spewed blood all over it. Echo just screamed.

He picked up Soul gently and rushed her to the local surgery. Once they arrived, Echo just shouted "EMERGENCY" and all attention was on him. He explained what happened as the doctors laid Soul softly down on a crisp, white bed. Her eyes were closed. The doctors left the room to fetch some equipment and write down notes as Echo slowly plodded over to Soul's side.

"Soul. You risked your life to save mine and boy, do I wish you hadn't. You were such a perfect pony, and now you're in this state. was it worth it?"

"Echo... It was always worth it... I love you..." Soul softly spoke, her voice raspy and weak.

Echo just stared at Soul laying there. It brought him to tears and he constantly cried as he blubbed the words " I love you too Soul".

Echo leaned over Soul to hug her, but instead, she used the last of her strength to pull Echo closer, to her lips. They collided with passion and Echo weeped more. Soul had tears tumbling down her cheeks too. The kiss was deep, passionate and emotive, and they didn't want to let go. Echo continued the kiss until Soul broke away and uttered with her final breaths "I love you, Echo..."

With that, Echo suddenly felt the gentle breathing of Soul come to a stop. Her chest stopped rising and falling, and her limp lifeless body started to become cold. Echo forced himself to continue looking at her, despite the sharp pain it cause him. Just then, the doctors burst in and gasped. "She died? Oh my!"

Echo just turned around slowly and looked at the doctor with large, damp eyes. Echo was devastated and depressed. He had just witnessed the death of his first and only love for years, after she had killed herself for him. Echo spoke his first goodbyes and thought back to what he had said earlier.

"This was to be their first and probably most memorable date. It would definitely by a day to remember for the both of them." He had thought. Sure it was the first and most memorable, but it was their only too. Yeah, it was a day to remember: but for the wrong reasons, and for only one of them.

Echo pushed his way through the doors of the surgery. He thought to himself - "My life couldn't get and worse.". Echo could swear he could hear the wind whistling to him. "Soul... Soul..." Echo brushed it aside as him thinking of Soul and his mind playing tricks on him as he began trudging his way home through his own tears and sadness.