• Published 21st Jun 2012
  • 655 Views, 18 Comments

Echoes in the Soul - FluttershyAllTheWay



Echo is far from popular, but can he muster the courage to confess his feelings to Soul?

  • ...
 18
 655

Chapter 2

Echo neared his Form classroom. He reached out a hoof to open the door and twisted the handle. Stepping inside, he saw that he was considerably late for class. Echo knew he had dawdled to class, but he didn't want to rush the brilliant memories of this morning out of his head. As his head swung round to the front of the class though, he saw something that he was both ecstatic and disappointed to set eyes upon.

The dark purple flowing mane, The pale purple coat, the slender flank: it was Soul. Echo scuffled to his usual seat, pushing his Saddlebags under the desk with a hoof. He looked up in awe at her beauty, dexterity and grace. The teacher announced that Soul was joining our Form class and Echo practically hit the ceiling with excitement.

Although nothing in all of Equestria could prepare Echo for what he was about to hear.

"So, Soul, please take a seat. You may choose any place you wish that is free!" Echo's teacher, Miss Trottley said with much enthusiasm. Echo wasn't paying much attention as all of this happened: he was to busy dreaming about loving Soul forver and-

A voice broke his train of thought. "Hey Echo, does anypony sit here?" Soul queried.

Echo turned to face Soul and he felt a blush spread across his muzzle. Soul, his love, wanted to sit next to him! Echo wasn't exactly popular, so he was confused as to why she wanted to sit next to him.

"Uhh, no?" Echo said, still bewildered by her seating choice. He watched as she pulled out the chair with her hoof and sat in the chair situated next to him.

"Great! I can sit next to you in Form class from now on then!" Soul said enthusiastically, giving Echo a smile and looking right at him.

Echo just returned the gaze, staring into her big, bright eyes and seeing the kindness behind them. He felt himself going redder and redder with every minute until he decided smiled back at her. The only word he could utter was "Cool"

Soul laughed lightly at Echo's reaction. They both turned to face their teacher as the register for today was done.

As Echo trotted out of Form class, a thought crossed his mind. Maybe him and Soul were destined to be together? Echo shook his head violently, throwing the thought out of his head forcefully. Echo was sure she felt nothing back to him. Why would she ever go for him? He was just some random pony and she had only met him today. Echo dismissed all these thoughts and cleared his head. He pulled his timetable out of his Saddlebags. With a deep sigh, Echo tucked his timetable back - he was in for a long day with those classes up ahead.

First, double Maths. Thankfully, he sat next to Lightning in Maths. Echo plucked up some courage on his journey to his Maths room and decided he would confess to Lightning his feelings. Today had been crazy already, and Echo felt like he was carrying a lead weight in his tail, dragging him back and restraining his movement. Echo knew if there was somepony he could confess his feelings to, it would always be Lightning.

"Hey Lightning!" Echo said cheerily.

"Oh, hey Echo!" Echo sat down next to Lightning. Lightning was a pale yellow coated colt with big blue eyes and a sunset orange mane.

"So Lightning, I wanted to talk to you about something. You know that pony, Soul?" Echo said, deep in conversation.

"Yeah. You seemed to have your eye on her - I noticed." Lightning laughed at his statement, winking at Echo.

"Well, she sits next to me now in Form Class and... And..." Echo went on, avoiding Lightning's gaze and hesitating at whether the information he was about to give was worth letting out. "...I love her..." He continued, this time much quieter than before. Echo raised his eyes at stared into Lightning's. In Lightning's eyes Echo saw that Lightning showed compassion for him. His eyes were big and blue as usual, but his gaze was soft.

"Echo. I'm not the best colt for advice, but..." Lightning suddenly trailed off. He gave a cough to clear his throat and began again. "I suggest you try for her. Soul is a good Pony at heart."

Echo registered Lightning's words in his head. "So you think I have a chance?" Echo chimed, his eyes shining in hope.

"It would be a waste not to try for her" Lightning said blankly.

Echo's head was a mess of emotions. Usually Mareston High School For Ponies was a very boring, day-to-day process that Echo had to endure. Today, however, had been sensational so far. His hopes were now on a high and Echo let out a muffled sigh of happiness, before leaning back in his seat to get on with his day of classes. Echo picked up his paper and grabbed a pen in his hoof. He leant over the paper and began scrawling with it. As the bell rung for the end of maths, he looked at his drawing, sighed in happiness and stuffed it in his Saddlebag: somewhere awkwardly close to his timetable.