• Published 24th Jun 2016
  • 864 Views, 246 Comments

Shine Of The Silver Sun - Nameless Narrator



Necromancers and dark mages are rising all throughout Equestria. Some ponies aim to find out why and destroy the root of the new evil. For now, though, the important ones are those standing against the new darkness - The Order of the Silver Sun.

  • ...
2
 246
 864

The End: Into The Future

The peace and quiet of Leo Goldhorn's mansion was disrupted by many sets of hoofsteps. The picture-perfect stereotype of a unicorn noble was currently sitting behind his desk and working on an idea of investing into some property deeds in western Equestria when he heard cautious knocking on his office door.

"Come in, Featherfall."

Leo knew Fortune's personal maid pretty well by now. The mare wasn't particularly skilled at anything or had any traits which would make her noticeable among other servants, but Fortune had a soft spot for the mute unicorn and the two spent a lot of time together. Plus, most unicorns frowned on being servants, leaving such positions to pegasi and mainly earthponies, and having one brought certain prestige to their employer.

The loud shuffling following the door opening made Leo look up, because up until now he'd been sure the maid was coming with a fresh cup of tea or something.

"Wha-" he immediately stood up, "Cromach, Connie, what are you doing here? Nopony told me you were on the way."

Cromach walked over and patted Leo's shoulder.

"Well, this quiet young lady ushered us in and we sort of persuaded her to let us surprise you. Deep down, I was expecting you and Fortune to be enjoying your relationship, so to speak."

"She's outside in the workshop. You know how she is, she loves to tinker. Last week she put a scope from a griffon rifle on a mace, but I'm sure that was just a joke."

"Do you mind calling her over?" asked Cromach, "The surprise is for her as well."

"Feather, go get Fortune, please."

The mare nodded and rushed off.

A moment of silence later, Leo continued:

"So, I've already met Astray, but who are the other two lovely ladies?" he gave Bubbles and Anvil a courteous bow, "My name is Leo Goldhorn."

The minotaur was wearing only an Order issue plain white shirt and a pair of brown pants she'd bought instead of her white overly tight ones. She was saving those for strutting around back in Manehattan. This was an official occasion, and while she didn't have any proper clothes, she didn't want to look like a pole dancer for once.

Bubbles, on the other hoof, wasn't wearing anything other than copious amounts of bandages wrapped over her legs and neck. At the mention of being lovely and a lady, she gave Leo the widest smile she could. She was still feeling shaky and the walk here to the mansion had been possible only with the help of Astray steadying her by grabbing her barrel or mane whenever she stumbled, but it was better than staying alone in the hospital or wearing a leash. After Leo didn't flinch at the sight of all her teeth, she controlled herself and ended with a bright cheerful smile.

"Ignore them, they're just Astray's harem," said Connie flatly, smug grin growing on her muzzle in tune with the minotaur's reddening face and closing fists. The fact that she didn't give the living volcano about to erupt behind her a single look meant she was more than certain what was going on, "The small cute mummy is Bubbles, and the giant pile of muscle crossed with a walking Playpony advertisement about to punch a hole through a wall is Anvil."

"Wasn't... thinking... about the wall..." grumbled Anvil, eye twitching.

"Hello!" Bubbles waved at Leo, "My name is Bubbles, as miss Connie said. I like running around, playing fetch, eating fried spicy chicken, and Astray," she scratched her chin thoughtfully and corrected her statement, "Wait, Astray first, the other things behind him."

Now it was the blushing satyr's turn to start intently examining the ceiling.

"Those three are the new Hoof of Fate," Cromach clarified the situation, "They still have a long way before they catch up to you and your old teammates, but not everypony's first assignment can be stopping a god and his fanatical cult."

"Taking it easy on them for now, eh?"

"Well, they are quite busy, what with the two girls vying for Astray's attent-"

"SIR!" Anvil called out indignantly, "I didn't know what you heard but it was just a mutually beneficial service which we happened to enjoy and might return to in the future!"

"Uh, what?" Cromach turned around, "I was just building on Connie's joke... wait..."

Contradiction waved her hoof between Astray and Anvil who were both now threatening to set the mansion on fire, heads turning into any possible direction that wasn't towards each other.

"You two... really, REALLY? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Connie's unstoppable laughter, Cromach snorting into talons covering his beak, Anvil's annoyed huffing, Astray's silent prayer to whoever was listening to end him on the spot, and Bubbles' unbothered happy expression were what Fortune came to when she opened the door.

"My my, did I miss something?" she asked, walking over to Leo.

"I'll tell you later," he whispered her an answer, and then cleared his throat loudly, "EHM, I hate to be the killjoy here, but since we're all here, what was the thing you wanted to tell us?"

Cromach let out one final chuckle, and reached out to the pouch on his belt.

"It wasn't exactly about telling you something, I'm here to give you something. Or, you know, return something," he opened his talons, revealing the pair of stolen magical rings.

"Holy!" Leo's eyes went wide, "You got them back? Sir, I don't know what to say."

"Your social status is still above mine, Leo, so Cromach will suffice as usual."

"Sir... Cromach, you will be a 'sir' to me till the day I die."

"Well, you shouldn't be thanking me for this anyway. My role was fairly small in getting these back. Connie and the others did most of the work. I only provided the muscle."

"He's just being modest," said Connie, "We would have gotten our asses kicked if it weren't for him."

"We wouldn't be here if any one of us wasn't there," Anvil corrected her.

"A very wise observation," Leo nodded, "That's how good teamwork should be. Do you want to stay here for lunch? I'd love to hear about everything that happened. The combat parts," he winked at Astray, "and the romantic ones as well."

Anvil scowled at Astray.

"I should rip your head off here and now to spare myself the shame."

"Please do," the satyr offered his neck, "I don't want to return to Manehattan only to find out Connie told everypony. Oh no... Antares."

"Oh my god..." Anvil facepalmed, "The old perv will never shut up about it. That's it, I'm moving back north and feeding myself to a frostwolf."

"Aaaaanyway," Cromach interrupted the lamentations, "If you want, Leo, you can remake the ceremony."

The unicorn shook his head.

"Honestly, I'd rather not. I have everypony I need right here, and I think Fortune will agree with me. We can have as many parties as we want later," he levitated the rings from Cromach's talons, "Fortune, your hand, please."

Fortune, still smudged with oil, gunpowder, and dirt followed Leo's soft telekinetic pull on her fingers and presented her palm.

"We said all we wanted to say at the ceremony, but this was still missing," he guided the enchanted ring onto the satyr's finger, "Not anymore."

The second part of the custom was for the mare to put the second ring onto her lover's horn. Fortune, holding the remaining piece of jewelry leaned to Leo, kissed him, and whispered something. The unicorn smiled and nodded.

Turning to Cromach, she offered the second ring to him.

"You know, over the past year, Connie sent me a ton of letters. I saw how you acted during the ceremony, and I'm not blind. Connie is looking at you the way Leo looks at me every day. We might not be the best of friends, but maybe even a runt, and I might be a single letter off with that description, like Connie deserves a shot."

The room went completely silent.

Cromach closed his eyes, remembering his brief visit to the Final Sanctuary. When he opened them, though, he took the ring from Fortune and looked trembling Connie eye to eye.

"I think Fortune is right, and this way my fear won't stop me anymore. What do you say, Connie?"

Her voice was shaky when she answered:

"No matter how this ends, I want it to begin here, with all of them watching."

Bowing her head and closing her eyes, she felt the ring slip around her horn and fit snugly at its base.

Kneeling down, Cromach took Connie's head into his talons, and kissed her.

Bubbles shuffled over to Astray and hugged his leg. Astray, in a moment of weakness, put his hand around Anvil's waist.

The minotaur growled:

"Put that thing down or I'll break it-"

Astray's hand slipped just a little lower, stopping on the rock-hard bulge of her backside.

"-I asked for it, didn't I? Well, for what it's worth I'm glad you're more alright in the head than when we met."

"I couldn't have done it without you, Anvil. Never in a million years."

***

The central nexus of mine shafts inside Canterlot mountain was deep, very deep. The darkness down there was all-consuming, and the silence was so deep it almost physically crushed.

At the bottom, however, a little dot of light started shimmering. A close observer, if there was any, would notice the light was coming from some circular amulet with a green gem in the middle.

The light grew brighter, and the silhouette of a pony formed inside it, first a shadow, then an entire walking skeleton. It picked the amulet up and hung it around its neck.

"Well played, ambassador," said the skeleton in the calm voice of Arcane Hex. The voice was however without any cracks or exhaustion caused by old age, not anymore, "Well played. I should consider myself lucky you didn't have an experienced wizard with you."

The glow around the lich form of Arcane Hex intensified, and a pulsating purple doorway appeared in front of him. He looked up through the main shaft.

"We might meet again, Cromach, and we might not. I am not a pony to hold a grudge and, after all, you gave me the means to finally defeat the pressure of time itself. There is a whole world full of knowledge to explore before I get back to you."

With quiet laughter, Arcane Hex stepped through the magical portal which closed behind him, leaving only deathly silent, inky blackness.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading.

Comments ( 56 )

I am utterly confounded at this stories lack of popularity. It is a splendidly enjoyable piece, with decent sized installments and you were even able to keep a steady update schedule. I loved the characters, the allusions to a greater world's history, the way they the characters bounced off each other and developed, even the way the setting was portrayed. Each chapter felt in some way rich in detail and I am sad to see it end, though I hold out hope for a sequel. After all, with such as splendid fellow as Arcane hex on the prowl, what else could the Hoof of Fate set their sites on? But oh, that's a silly question isn't it, just begging for the eldritch abomination beyond all comprehension to pounce out of your socks and steal your credit cards.

In all seriousness, I adored this story, and think it was well executed in every respect, if not perfect. Thank you for this story, and may you find success in your future ventures.

7973694 Thank you very much for for reading.

The simple answer is that it's slow paced, not a masterpiece of literature, and I suck absolutely horribly at self-promotion.

As I stated in a blog before, I was planning for Silver Sun to be a trilogy, but my current lack of time (and reader interest) is making any writing or planning somewhat difficult. When I get used to my new work schedule, or when I get fired, I'll start thinking about the next story, Silver Sun related or a completely new one.

Ahh... at least there isn't literally two comments (with one of them your own). I have a feeling I'm going to like this.

9373315
Yeah to which..? ...the world may never know...

9372818
You never know, I have a tendency to build up expectations and then fail them completely.
9373566
To both.
9373713
Huh... :rainbowhuh:
9374272
I call those parts. I'm thinking about calling the big parts arcs, but that won't fit either. Who cares, really?
9374278
Im pretty sure porn tag has been added rather recently, and unless some FF admin bothers me with it, I'm too lazy to fix my tags. Just like someone fking spammed my ass for not adding AU to "Exercise in Management" only because they had no clue what AU tag really meant. I added it in the end, but for a completely different reason.
9374311
I need to do a lot of things. Not start drinking the first thing in the morning during holidays for one. As I sit here, alone, and write this, most things in my head I should do aren't nice. And I think there's a thousand times better story for that either - Letters from disgruntled whatever or something.
9374376
Sadly for the mission, I'd say.
9374471
Cumbucket, by Calvin Klein.

9375099
1. That's a part of your charm.

2. So it both has something to do with the blades, yet is merely a coincidence... hmmm...

3.

Who cares, really?

...people with OCD, obviously.

4. Meh, maybe you can do it when you start doing mass edits. Also when pigs start flying.

5. You need to start lightening up.

6. Which is a good thing...

7. Okay, now which one of us is going to be the sap that mails them the suggestion?

9375337

lighten up

Licking my fingers and sticking them into an electric socket in 3.. 2.. 1..
9375907
Nah, Anvil isn't nasty and mentally screwed like Fortune as such, she's just from a culture where raw power means everything and gets you everywhere. Okay, she's a little nasty if you deserve it.
9375919
"Oh god, did Spidermare just think I was a criminal?"
9375949
Next story - Nightmare and Straw on Mars.
9375976
Oh yes, the first thing that comes out of one's mouth in a crisis on reflex usually isn't the smart one.
9375980
:pinkiesick: Keep beating the dead horse, I'm sure the corpse will explode at some point.
9375985
Absolutely unnecessary, yet it adds so much.
9376163
Yes. Yes, she is. If only it could talk back, so much more fun could be had.

9376536
1. Maybe that will at least get your brain shocked into working straight.

2. Like I said... they would get along real well...

3. *sprays Cumbucket, by Calvin Klein- the air freshener- through the room*

4. I'd read that. Probably.

5. If only there was a way to rewind time... Well, there's Chronos, but I doubt he would want to be bothered...

6. Where does that saying even come from, anyways? Heck, who's ever beaten a live horse?

7. Mhm...

8. There's an app spell for that. Now... how the heck she would get past the awkwardness of asking someone to cast it... that's another story.

Dear princess Celestia,

. Would you please enchant my rubber copy of my dead (or possibly undead at this point what with all the necromancers running around) ex-teammate-slash-crush's griffon dick so it could talk to me as I'm rutting it? Thanks in advanced.

. Your very horny not-really-a-unicorn,
. . Contradiction

9377074
Still nope. Astray, within limitations of his body, no matter the artefacts (within the means of the Nameless Library universe, so Infinity Gauntlet doesn't count), would not be able to fight Cross' experience and power one on one. Even Corrupted Heavy Hoof couldn't, and he's pretty much the top semi-mortal creature in the series. Straw Basket with Nightmare couldn't either, because his body would break as a host due to the power requirement. Plus, most of the really evil and powerful artefacts are in Starlight's possession and thus at Cross' disposal.

Who could fight Cross one on one evenly or straight up destroy him:
True god Nightmare, trinity Discord, trinity Harmony, trinity Nightmare's stronger hosts (Holy Light, Nightmare Moon), high-tier alicorns, Blinding Light, Harmony's chosen from New Age(those two are pretty much the same, only she's stronger), Nightshade (basically invulnerable to anything Cross could do), Flow (Cross has no direct means to survive his attacks or harm him), Hastur (too durable).

Those come to mind.

9377035

Maybe that will at least get your brain shocked into working straight.

Nah, shock therapy wouldn't. Lobotomy might, but then I'd write less, drool more, and randomly roll my face on the keyboard, so probably an upgrade anyway.

Dear princess Celestia,

Dear Contradiction,
stop writing to me unless you want it also to randomly squirt magma. If you need something to talk to, dig up said griffon's head and contact Twilight.
- Sunbutt.
9377090
9377102
Too much of a good thing...
9377120
9377173
I GET IT! I overdid it this time. Cum on, let it go already.

9377813
1.
1.1- naaah. Then you'd lose your sarcastic wit!
1.2- yeah, definitely should do a story about letters to and from the princesses.

2+3- ...is an even better thing! That's what you were saying, right?

4+5- Naaah... I don't think that I will be letting that one go for a good while. I mean nothing bad by it, though. Just joking around...

you'd lose your sarcastic wit!

Only if they break in into my cellar, and pry it from little Timmy's cold, dead hands.:flutterrage:
9379261
:pinkiehappy:
9379399
And into a dull, rusty blender.
9379408
Yep.
9379490
Just do it like I do - hate me all the time, and you'll avoid the emotional rollercoaster.
9379543
Shush, we got no footas or tarps or sumthing down here in god's country! :ajbemused:
9379925
Come to think of it, Bubbles is a little like a demonic version of Three.
9380014
As they say, you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain.
9380093
Thaaaaaank you for recognizing this one. :raritystarry:

9380285
1. Then better prepare yourself for when that comes...

2. I probably am going to get reading NBD's works after I am done here, and read something else I said I would.

...ah, the life of a reader- so little time, but so much in need of being read.

3. Oof. That just hurts to even think about.

4. The real question, what even is 'normal'? How do we define 'normality'?

5. Nah, then I would be missing out on all the comedy!

6. What?

7. I dread the day, in whichever alternate universe- that Bubbles, Boss's Three, and the Pink one were to all be in the same place at the same time...

8. ...or you die a nobody, possibly being mugged in a dark alley, or just tripping and falling down the stairs.

9. Oh I don't forget that easily.

9381066
Just some random, irrelevant tidbit from a book on ancient history Anvil likes so much.
.
.
.
Definitely.

9381386
In the same way she can toss herself by telekinetically pushing off the ground, she can soften the landing.
9381425
9381432
Looking back, this fight is based on fighting elite mages in Baldur's Gate. You wake them up, they pop a contingency spell set and are basically invulnerable until you get through those. (Or cheese them completely by a mind flayer transformation)
9381757
Huh, yeah.
9381767
"Happiness is what you make of it" is so completely irrelevant to the Imbalanced storyline it may as well be set in a different universe (although there might be a sneaky reference somewhere, I can't recall.) But yes, "pretty much" is a wrong expression. In my defense, I was young and foolish when I wrote it.
9381770
You can never trust my comments, or can you at least sometimes? :trollestia: Who knoooooows?
9381934
Uhhh... never really thought about it. My naming vocabulary is probably just limited. I'm not naming my next character Zodd Worchester-Queeg Xenon just to balance it out, though.
9381940
I mean it IS possible, technically. I'm not sure about the practical value, though.

9382229
1. Huh. Still, wouldn't it hurt? She's still falling from a high place, just onto a telekinetic cushion rather than the ground.

2. Baldur's gate... *looks it up* sounds interesting. Have to play it some time in my life.

3. Huh. Honestly, I was expecting it to be like... 20% of the entire mountain when you said 'ripped out a chunk'. Probably with houses and the like included.

4. I guess it is up to me to find that sneaky reference.

5. suspicious indeed...

6.

- We should go through the names of all your named OCs one day.

-Why not? Makes a good name for your 'drunken Cthulhu' character...

7. It has plenty of practical value. For example...

1- Intimidation: Tell me, if you were hiding in your dark ass evil lair, and suddenly saw glowing eyes in the shadows... wouldn't you be terrified?

2- Nightvision: Seriously, with eyes that glow, well... all the better to see in the absolute darkness with.

9383880
I uh... I kinda forgot...

9383939
Well come on! Get reading! Why not start with the original Imbalanced while you're at it? In any case, at least you don't have to worry much about running out of things to read with how long the whole series is.

9383028

Huh. Still, wouldn't it hurt? She's still falling from a high place, just onto a telekinetic cushion rather than the ground.

Not at all if she gradually increases the opposing pressure.

Intimidation

I re-read the original comment, and realized I completely misread what you said. No, our model of Bubbles doesn't come with a built-in flashlight.
9383287
They grow up so fast...
9383315
She's part succubus. She can feel the love.
9383362
Refactory period.
9383369
That one was sad weird, not happy consensual weird. Only happy weird counts... or something. Can't find the original context.
9383366
A demon on ice-cream vore is an unalienable right granted by Equestrian constitution!
9383448
I think Blaze had his baddie fighting other baddies emo phase few times.
9383454
That noise means he remembered my stories and threw up a little in his mouth.
9383927
Celestia-damned Pavement Pounder. I KNEW he was up to no good!
9383939
And the bad memories about all this won't come back as long as he keeps taking pills.
9383975
It's not about winning, it's about sending a message.:twilightangry2:
9383986
Running out of will to live, that's a different issue entirely.
9384056
That's German for happy daffodils and everything si fine.
9384098
That's the official story. :trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright: But no one knows what happened to little Timmy... and his collection of polished hooves.

9384190
No, I remembered my oath, and mentally, and almost physically, did a Gibs.

9384190
1.
-meh
-aww... that would be kind of cool.

2. It feels like only yesterday she was created from the darkest pits of hell and the darkest pits of her mother's marehood through a dark, satanic ritual of sorts...

3. Any chance they have some relation to changelings in this verse, then?

4. Fair enough...

5. You have a bunch of different types of weird...

6. I never said it wasn't, I'm just telling you the truth... we're at war. Our food is fighting back, but few are acknowledging this. If we don't keep them at bay... if we fail to hold the red line... *looks Nameless dead in the eye, reflections of the terrors those eyes have seen lurking just below their squishy surface* ...it will be... foodmageddon.

7. Well, have you ever gotten to using that idea for anyone besides Blaze. I'm pretty sure he took every possible role at least one point in time... hero, villain, anti hero, nobody, slave, zombie, sextoy, dimensional traveler, breeding tool, weapon of mass destruction, leader, follower, manual laborer, mortal, immortal... Besides, if you were referring to Blaze's past actions, I doubt you would've said that you "might" use the idea for the character "in some new story later."

8. Oh... I thought that was Russian for "I love your stories so much and I'm definitely going to go back to reading them!"

9. I need a button to make that "Dun, dun duuuuuuuuuun!!!" Noise on command... there's probably an app for that, but meh. I'm pretty sure the pink one has that button anyways.

10. Bad memories.!? What bad memorories! Nothing but SUNSHINE and RAINBOWS here!!! Heh. Heheh. Hehehehehahahahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

11. Yeah, sure... if that message is a giant glowing neon sign spelling in bold, capital letters, "WE ARE HERE!!! COME ON AND EAT US!!!" just so shuffles, along with any necromancer that lurks down there and their abominations, can easily find them.

12. Heh. Well, I'm still here.

13. "everything si fine"? Last I checked, si was Spanish, not German.

14. Poor Timmy...

9384463
Oh hush. At least read Tirek's rampage of Heroes, Villains, and The useless guys. It may not be as funny out if context, but it still should be frigging hilarious!

9385661
Just make her into an Ikea version - some assembly required.
9385721
Warcraft orc grunt reference
9385813
They fixed their wicked ways and are now outstanding members of the Griffon Empire.
9385843
It obviously means something related to tomatoes.

9385989
1. Now, the question is... hybrid, electric, or gas..? Edit: Meh, I don't know shit about cars... Why am I doing this again? Oh right, in a vague and vain attempt to be witty.

2. Oh.

3. Hmm... maybe you could do a spinoff on that? Just an idea.

4. Seems legit.

9387139
Another addition to Astray's inevitable harem.
9387162
It was jeff, the janitor. Those need to be wizards too.
9387309
Okay, without re-reading the entire thing, I seriously can't tell if this is something I planned out, something you're misremembering, or a total mistake at this point. Huh.
*Summons past self to talk to*
"Oh jesus why are you wasted alone on a Sunda- oh, nevermind. Go back to writing, and stop looking at those train tracks before a bitchslap you back to the past. Shoo!"
9387351
I do have a tendency to submit the most beloved characters to excruciating torture and death. Blaze doesn't count, we deserve it.
9388119
This could still be a misunderstanding.
*I look up at my previous answer*
Oopsie...

9388169
1. Heheheheh...

2. Honestly, the last one to have lived there could've been someone else on Seeker's side, or something else. Especially on a potentially dangerous mission, you shouldn't ignore potentially vital information, even if it's just a small bit about who else lives on a certain floor of an apartment building.

3. Let me double check...

4. You do... and yet, I put myself through the psychological torture anyways. Makes ya wonder what's up with me...

5. Honestly, I suspected him of being Seeker's mysterious 'partner' from the beginning once he went up to Cro at the party... but I also always held out hope that he was actually a good guy and it really was someone else. There was this strange duality about him which made me constantly doubt myself about him, then doubt all my doubts... like how he used the spell to erase all Seeker's zombies, and having made it powerful enough to even hurt his flesh golem... I'd imagine it would've killed her as well if she were closer, or even inside the mansion at the time.

You have a way with writing that just pulls this off; making the reader doubt themselves at every turn. Doubt their thoughts on who really is the good guy, who really is the bad guy, and constantly questioning who is really pulling the strings.

Of course, sadly, this trait hasn't been shown all throughout the series... I'm of course not counting comedies like Heroes, Villains, and the useless guys... I am, however referring to books such as The third diary. As I said in my overal review of it how it was starting to get predictable... 9279175

Anyways, I am extremely glad the repetition has stopped shortly after. I am just trying to make a point, and honestly? You have improved and became more skilled as a writer as you went. Just keep this in mind as you write, and honestly, if you could further refine your skills, you could honestly become a very very good mystery writer.

"Ignore them, they're just Astray's harem," said Connie flatly, smug grin growing on her muzzle in tune with the minotaur's reddening face and closing fists. The fact that she didn't give the living volcano about to erupt behind her a single look meant she was more than certain what was going on, "The small cute mummy is Bubbles, and the giant pile of muscle crossed with a walking Playpony advertisement about to punch a hole through a wall is Anvil."

Hahahahahaha...

"You know, over the past year, Connie sent me a ton of letters. I saw how you acted during the ceremony, and I'm not blind. Connie is looking at you the way Leo looks at me every day. We might not be the best of friends, but maybe even a runt, and I might a single letter off with that description, like Connie deserves a shot."

"I might a single letter off"? The heck does that even mean?

Thanks for reading.

Your welcome... now give me progress on that T-shirt!!!

Okay, okay...

What time is it? Overall Review Time! Woo!

Okay, a new cast of interesting characters, the mystery of who was the shadowy figure talking with Seeker at the party, and of course your own unique blend of comedy, dispair, and hope.

All in all, yet another good book out of the Nameless library. That's... about it, really. All I have to say on this... huh. Strange... my reviews are usually longer than this... usually I have something to say on how you can improve, or a compliment on how well you have done, but... I got nothing. Huh.

Welp, onwards!

Oh, why isn't this set as a sequel to Dawn of the Silver Sun?

9388757

You do... and yet, I put myself through the psychological torture anyways.

I meant me and Blaze deserving it. From the readers it's just pure masochism.

"I think there were three or four wizards..."

Oh, that's like saying "I had three or four slices of cake, I can't really recall. Could have been either."

repetition

The thing with Nightmare actually has a point in the long term - it serves to show that NM can only act in one way (due to the pact of harmony) and it's obvious how, and underlines that gods are actually sentient forces of nature still forced to do what they're supposed to. Same with Harmony constantly tring to make the perfect creatures to do his will (Blaze, Vigils, Corrupted, avatar), and Dickrod summoning chocolate rain on heathens. The effect IS supposed for them to be predictable (which is used against them in New Age), the detail that it bores the reader is my fault for WRITING it wrong, not the essense of what the gods are.

if you could further refine your skills, you could honestly become a very very good mystery writer.

Funny, I actually despise mystery novels and find them boring beyond belief. Nothing I wrote was supposed to be one.
9388833
Correcting.
"I might be a single letter off" (You know, a c*nt instead of runt)
9388852
I'm hesitating to add the shoulder-mounted laser cannon, because it's already starting to look like Master Chief's suit. Maaaybe it's time to go back to the design stage.
9388868
I wasn't jokng when I said that I think this is one of my two best stories, the second one being "Happiness". Oh well, it only goes downhill from here.
9388874
Huh...

9389531
1.1 "I'm just a sucker for pain!"

...honestly, I kinda hate that song... but a good reference is a good reference.

1.2 eh. I'd still like to imagine it was a part of some forgotten elaborate plan where you'd reveal the mysterious fourth wizard, likely being Hex's boss...

1.3 eh, fair enough. Still, you could've honestly just added one or two non-nightmare sub-antagonists to the mix to make it feel more interesting and less like a repeat of previous books. That alone could've helped spice things up, no telling how much though. Meh, it's likely going to be left for the rewrite... the one that you may or may not get to this century.

1.4 there's more than one type of mystery. There are everything from the 'classic' Whodunits, to those 'Noir' detective novels, to trying to decipher the supernatural. If you've been finding mystery 'boring', then it was written wrong. The whole point of a mystery is to keep yourself guessing at every turn, doubting those guesses, then doubting those doubts. The whole point of a mystery is to have twists at just about every turn and leave you wonder "who really done it?" All the while keeping your undivided attention.

You my friend, can, and in some smaller cases have, pulled this off. And honestly? I urge you to read at least one more mystery story... a good one this time, rather than whatever the heck you were reading when you started to gate mysteries. I even got a few suggestions, some focusing more on the mystery aspect than others. I will be back with these on your user page.

2. Makes sense.

3. Shoulder mounted laser cannon...

Hmm... Is the shoulder mounted laser cannon canon, or is the cannon not canon at all. The party cannon is canon, at least to what's canon in Mlp canon, but is this cannon canon too, or is the canon not canon at all?

4. Like I said, I just had nothing to say. Not that it wasn't good. Honestly, Rise of the Silver Sun is still my favorite.

5. Huh...

9574914
Three, Fortune, Connie was supposed to be there but lost the leadership, Rolling Thunder, and Rock Candy.
9574756
Sadly, no one with such great mouth will be involved.
Not sure what the green unicorn refeence is.
9574694
That's either how it is in the official series, or Celestia's Royal Guard hiring policy is incredibly racist.
9575085
Nope, but well done noticing the speech pattern.

9575152

Not sure what the green unicorn refeence is.

My necromancer OC. If there was be similar character it will be funny coincidence.

9580230
More 'violent hatred', less 'just being annoying'.
9580735
Only Blaze got to cheat like that.
And Twilight lol.
9580798
Heheh.

9582220
I think they napalmed a group at some point.
9582355
Everything's gonna be fiiiiiiine.

9582916
It is the same unicorn. He's just the third Bright Star in the noble bloodline. And he's got a lot of experience in dealing with small and adorable female monstrosities from helping take care of Four/Gem.

9582868

I think they napalmed a group at some point.

Yeah, but Black Ops was literally just died, and and don't remember the bandits was rotten in this.

Everything's gonna be fiiiiiiine.

Definitely what Seeker said when he cast that spells.
Or at least he knows how to avoid it.

9584170
- SS had cities under most of the world. Crystal Empire ponies just dug some ancient tech of theirs.
- No, they were a civilization, which is long lost. More details will come in Halls of the Changeling King.
- Probably something along the lines of the cow version of Hitler. Mootler?
9584273
- As Bob Marley sad - Everything's gonna be alright.
- I think you tie the four corners of a big piece of cloth together, and mak a makeshift bag into which you can put stuff, like blade shards.
- As for the Harmony stuff, the god did het his ass kicked by Blaze. What Connie is are just remaining echoes of his divinity, not like Straw who was a full host. Besides, Harmony and Nightmare work very differently. I'm certain the details of the Pact of Harmony have been explained at some point.
9584292
Thinking back now, it's everything everything.
9584452
- Eyes of the law aren't taking a good peek at Anvil's assets then.
- 40k is now so overfilled with random fandom Adeptus chapters that you can find anything there.
- GOD DAMMIT!
- I'm going to say yes, if only because I learned recently that there is actually a real kind of horse that eats meat.
- Astray + harem shipping. All they need now is to be in a high school filled with other jealous monster girls wanting to get into Astray's satyr pants.
- Indeed.
- Sinister and spoopy.
9584532
Dun dun duuuun!
9584809

Black Shield

Best minion down! Best minion down!

Secret Seeker

Like in every anime, the final boss isn't the final boss.

Lok'tar

FOR THE BOARD!
9584850
Bandits and nomads roaming the Griffon Empire deserts aren't exactly smart, and Zeph has more than enough fun.

9584928

- I think you tie the four corners of a big piece of cloth together, and mak a makeshift bag into which you can put stuff, like blade shards.

No, I mean, why it is broken? It can be destroyed only in deadly trainig, but why it's happened? I don't think you explained somewhere how it spell works, but I was thinking its something like illusion or time loop. Well, at lest it don't make a lot of sense for me why poeple recovering after that but things still broken.

I'm certain the details of the Pact of Harmony have been explained at some point.

I remember only Harmony was gone, but left Elements for mortals to fight other gods and Pact somehow restrict their influence on world.

- I'm going to say yes, if only because I learned recently that there is actually a real kind of horse that eats meat.

:rainbowderp:

Bandits and nomads roaming the Griffon Empire deserts aren't exactly smart, and Zeph has more than enough fun.

Attacking a strange magical place in desert, and don't flee away with apologize when they meets alicorns... yeah, they should be.

"Ignore them, they're just Astray's harem,"

You actually...

A close observer, if there was any, would notice the light was coming from some circular amulet with a green gem in the middle.

Of corse...

9586257
I'm not going full DnD on the races.
9586277
- Easy, the spell affects only living tissue/organisms.
- It's definitely stated that due to the Pact, Nightmare can only work through a host, Discord has all his powers, but on tiny scale, and Harmony's powers are kinda glossed over, because he's locked outside in the dark void and no one knows what he can do.
9586306
The End.

9882791
Yeah, even in unwanted servitude, she did her best to help get her murderer. Royal Guard to the end.
9882823
Eeeeh, they have certain similar traits, but Connie is naturally the gloomier and straightforward one while Cromach is more playful and bro type (of course, he's very different while mourning than how he was with Blaze)
9882854
Yeah, I did my last blog on it. not much more to say to that.

Another one done, and happy ending.:rainbowkiss: I am not sure if I have any left to read out of this series. I have very enjoyed the ones I have read so far.:heart:

9883127
Chronologically, it's Silver Sun changelings, then Corrupted Lands, then New Age, and finally Legacy of Light.

9883132
Thanks, now I can look those up and see which ones I have read and which ones I still got to read.

Login or register to comment