• Published 24th Jun 2016
  • 864 Views, 246 Comments

Shine Of The Silver Sun - Nameless Narrator



Necromancers and dark mages are rising all throughout Equestria. Some ponies aim to find out why and destroy the root of the new evil. For now, though, the important ones are those standing against the new darkness - The Order of the Silver Sun.

  • ...
2
 246
 864

Truth: Mended Hearts

Contradiction allowed herself only a night's rest after dealing with the nonsense at the wizard school. The Royal Guards called by the mages had arrived, accompanied by a furious wizard, to arrest a group of intruders charged with the destruction of property. However, after being woken up by Anvil and explaining the whole story on the spot, all high-ranked unicorns gathered in the cellar to detain the interlopers had found themselves facing an offical paladin accompanied by a squad of Royal Guards now boiling with barely contained fury.

The stuck-up unicorns had killed one of them, and took her freedom and all her dignity. Nothing, NOTHING the wizards had to say had carried more weight than the words of four ragged, armed, bloody ruffians who were where they had no business being.

In the Canterlot Royal Hospital, where the staff had already been groaning after seeing the unpleasantly familiar group enter, they had been treated and allowed to rest over night. Of course, extensive interrogation followed the next morning, and Anvil, Connie, Astray, and Bubbles had pieced together the whole story about encounters with Black Shield and Secret Seeker they had told the official investigators led by Solid Steel, the head of the EIS, or eyes as they were unofficially called - the Equestrian Intelligence Service. Connie recalled the pony personally visiting Blaze back during the reformation of the Order, and knew that while the investigation might not be successful anyway, it wouldn't be tampered with by anypony anymore.

And so, the noon after the event, all four Order members under Anvil's lead entered Cromach's Manehattan office.

The griffon gave them an exhausted look as they entered one by one. He opened his beak to ask the dreaded question about Connie's fate when the unicorn came in last. His beak snapped shut, he vaulted over his desk, and in the same second reared on his hind legs before Connie, grabbed her by her barrel, and swept her into a tight hug.

"Hey, hey," the surprised unicorn could only pat Cromach's back with her forehooves, "Not in front of the kids."

Blushing Astray looked away from the spectacle, his eyes falling on Bubbles grinning from ear to ear. She caught his gaze and shuffled closer to his leg, both of them checking Anvil's reaction. The minotaur was standing at attention, stone-faced, but her eyes betrayed mild amusement and a ton of relief.

The joyful embrace eventually ended, and Connie finally stood on her own again. Clearing his throat after the display of affection, Cromach brushed an imaginary mote of dust from his shoulder to regain some sort of leadership aura, and sat behind his desk again.

"You know what? Screw this," he shook his head, "Do you want to tell me everything down in the cafeteria? I'm afraid there's only one chair here."

"Sounds like a good-"

Anvil was interrupted by Connie.

"I'd rather not. There is something important you need to hear about my recent... self-control problem. I was hesitant to talk about it in front of these guys before discussing it with you first, but they've proven to deserve to hear the raw, unedited version."

"What's going on?" asked Cromach, puzzled.

After a deep breath and a short pause to summarize the past events inside her head, she recapitulated what had happened since her leaving the mansion. Her idea of contacting the princess herself, the fight with Black Shield and Secret Seeker on the train, razing part of the mountain, and Harmony's mark on her.

"-I know it sounds like me making excuses for my behaviour, but everything I said is true, and I need help. Sir -no, Cromach- you are the only pony who can understand what happened to me."

"Are you asking me to forget about everything you did?" asked Cromach, not with hostility or blame, but with a tone probing like a scalpel.

Connie caught on the careful approach, and answered calmly:

"No, what I did will take time to atone for. As I told these guys before, I will not be returning as their leader. I need your help with controlling it. I still get angry for no reason sometimes, but it's easier to control now that I know what it is. That and, if possible, to use it like you are using Nightmare's power. I can sort of do something on instinct, but I would like to learn more."

Cromach sat there, watching her thoughtfully before snapping his talons.

"Ah hah! So that's why we broke the paralysis spell at Leo's mansion so quickly."

"Mhm," Connie nodded, "Should I continue my report?"

A meaningful clearing of throat made her stop and then correct herself:

"Or better yet, I should let Anvil present hers. We need to do things properly from now on. Mission leader, if you please?" Contradiction yielded the ground to the minotaur.

"Thank you. We arrived in lower Canterlot at-"

Anvil's report incorporated Contradiction's flight through the mine tunnels from the shambling horror, Arcane Hex helping Astray using forbidden magic which Cromach just waved off, not exactly bothered by the reasonable use of unexplored power, and her and Bubbles' part in the events in Canterlot. Cromach listened, asked for little details, all that while watching the group over a pyramid from his talons.

"- and now we are here, ready for whatever is next."

"Alright," Cromach stood up and saluted, "Great job, everypony. As per regulations, you three get a day off. Connie, I have a personal request for you, but that can wait after I'm done with them. The day off is tomorrow, and since nopony is counting on you for today due to technically still being on a mission, I guess you're free to do whatever you want. The day after tomorrow you'll of course be required to return to your usual training, this time under Anvil's supervision."

"Understood," the minotaur saluted, followed by the other two.

"Um, can I ask for something else?" requested Astray.

"What is it?"

"I would like to attend Black Shield's funeral in Canterlot. Her guard friends invited me because I was the last one to talk to her before she passed away. The funeral is in four days, and I might have to miss a day here to go."

"Permission granted."

"Actually," Connie joined in, remembering the smooshed note she'd have to grab from Bubbles' bag later, "I'd like to come too if you don't mind. And I'm officially requesting the new Hoof of Fate's assistance."

"Sure. Care to tell me why?"

"Later."

"Alright," Cromach shrugged, "We're not expecting any unnatural invasions soon, so I think I can allow it. Arrange things with Shadowstep first, though. The changelings are already busy as it is even without people skipping lessons unannounced."

"I'll take care about that," nodded Connie.

"Is that all?" asked Cromach. When everypony nodded, he stood up and gave them a quick bow, "Then congratulations on your first successful mission, Hoof of Fate. Now go have a long bath, you're making the wallpaper crinkle."

Leaving Connie and Crom alone, the trio could finally let out a relieved breath. They were home, and they were all in one piece.

***

The morning after, Cromach was forcing himself not to think about the missing rings and anything work-related, but it was too difficult. That was why he forgot to knock before entering Contradiction's suite.

In the next second, he had an excellent opportunity to examine a unremarkable pillow hovering an inch away from his face. After identifying a dark stain on it as drool, he pushed it aside. The pillow dropped on the floor, leaving Cromach facing Contradiction lying on her side on the bed with her hind legs spread and the bright glow of her telekinesis between them. The unicorn herself was staring at him like a rabbit facing an incoming truck.

Cromach cleared his throat to break the silence. That seemed to wake Connie up from her stupor, and the griffon watched the entirety of her toy slide out of her with honest amazement, newfound curiosity, and shock, mostly shock. Was she training for dragons or something?

"Ehm, that's, eerm, quite something," he commented, watching the dripping replica hovering next to the dumbfounded mare, "I, umm, couldn't take that myself. Uh, props to you."

"Hahahahaha," Connie finally stuttered out, laughing like a short-circuiting robot. The source of her shame blurred as it shot behind her and through the window, the closed window, "W-w-w-what brings you here, hehehe?"

"Well, I-"

The sound of steel grinding on stone came from outside, and both of them turned towards the broken window where two rusty clawed legs appeared, followed by a happily grinning muzzle holding Connie's instrument. Of course Bubbles would be up in the late morning, playing outside with the trainees and pouncing on a thrown stick-shaped object.

The demoness saluted with one foreleg, hanging on the windowsil by her remaining one, and spat the toy back inside the room.

"Jiggle stick tastes funny. Weird, but good weird," she said thoughtfully, not bothered at all by hanging outside of the third floor window.

"Shoo, shoo," Connie waved at her.

Cromach coughed.

"What Connie means is that this is a private conversation, and that she thanks you for returning her... belongings, but wants you to leave the two of us alone for now."

"Of course, mister Cromach!" Bubbles saluted again. Unfortunately, with her one foreleg still saluting to miss Connie currently trembling in embarrassment, she opted to use the other one for Cromach to completely cover all her superiors, "Whaaaaaaaaa!"

She was lovable, but not the smartest in a crisis.

*Thud!*

"Imokay!" came her weak, dazed voice from outside.

Awkward silence returned.

"So..." Cromach broke it.

"YES?" Connie twitched, finally slamming her hind legs together.

"Sorry for barging in like that. I can come later, if this isn't a good time. I think you were, uhm, busy."

The only thing Connie could do was whimper and hide her face with her forelegs.

"Dammit," she mumbled, "I'm an idiot."

Cromach really wanted to just sit down next to her and wrap his foreleg around her, but touching a mare in a vulnerable moment like this, especially one with mental power enhanced by a god, could mean him losing it. He knew he wasn't exactly a smooth talker, rather a dirty one, so he decided to face things like a stallion should - head on.

"I thought about what you said back at the hospital. I thought about it a lot. Then I thought about what I said, and I stand by it even after all that's happened. Would you still like to go out with me on a date or two... or more?"

Connie slowly raised her head, lowered her forelegs, and her jaw dropped. It took her a moment of silently opening and closing her mouth to process the question. This had to be a dream. She still had to be under some rock of the avalanche and her head was playing tricks on her to ignore being crushed to death. In the hospital, Cromach had been so drugged he could barely talk and she'd just fought off an unknown invader.

This wasn't real.

"I thought..." her shaky voice was so weak even she had trouble hearing it, "I thought that was just the morphine talking."

Walking closer, Crom sat down on his haunches to look Connie sitting on the bed eye to eye.

"I'm not promising anything, but I want to try. I stand by what I said before. As Blaze used to say - a stallions' worth is measured by the worth of his word. If it has none, he is nothing," Cromach facetaloned, realizing what he'd just said. Because, you know, talking about one's ex-lover in front of a possible new one is the best idea ever, "Sorry. Me and my big mouth..."

"Look, I know you're not over him and maybe you'll never be," Connie ran her hoof over Cromach's cheek, "and I'm fine with it right now. I'd like try things out too, maybe walk around, see a movie, have a lunch that isn't work related for once. Test the waters. Who knows?" she chuckled nervously, "Maybe we'll find out we don't fit together and we'll both be free to wallow in our own brand of misery, right?"

"Always the optimist, Connie," Crom stood up, taking her hoof into his talons and gripping it tightly, "Got any idea when?"

"Why not tonight?" Connie shrugged, then sniffed the air and scrunched her muzzle at the smell of sweat and 'other things' lingering around, "Just let me take a shower first."

"Great idea. Let's start with a totally not work-related lunch then, shall we?"

"So, at noon by the main gate? Let's see where it takes us. Don't be late," Connie stuck her tongue out at him.

"I won't fail you," said the griffon, standing up and leaving.

Alone, Connie looked at the mess around. Broken window, sex toys lying on the floor, remains of yesterday's dinner, clothes strewn all over the place...

With a heavy sigh, she stood up and things started flying around her, guided by her horn.

"You fail me?" she asked the empty room, "That one's the last on my list. My long, long list."

***

"-and then she was like - dear ambassador, if you wish we can continue this negotiation in my bedchambers later. I have many more documents and resources for you to check out with your own talons. That, right in front of her husband," Cromach chuckled, seeing Connie eagerly listening to him recounting some diplomatic ball in the Griffon Empire, "Thankfully, the table was in the way of what she was trying to do with her paws under it. I've never been more afraid of becoming a female, because the damn chick couldn't control her claws after few drinks."

Connie took a sip of her tea. She kept track of the whole story and could easily understand how a mature griffon noble would gladly throw her elderly mate under a train for a hunk like Crom. Especially when he was a part of the Black Ops and technically an Equestrian noble as well.

"Did you agree to her diplomatic offer?"

"No. Thankfully, her plotkissing remained only figurative. I have no problem with more mature females, but Redtalons have a certain reputation within the Empire. They aren't too rich or powerful, but bloodlust and good memory are their traits that stand out. Being hunted by assassins once taught me to avoid situations that might cause it again. However, I worked my charm on her enough so that she persuaded her husband to open trading with Crystal Empire wineries and try to cultivate crystal berries. I doubt the damn things grow anywhere without freezing cold, but that's not exactly my business. Anyway, Vargaz was happy the Empire now had a communication channel with the north and the Black Ops paid a hefty sum Heavy and I used to make the mansion into a more comfortable place. Blaze was against it, saying we should focus on necessities like sorting out the debt to the princesses, but at that point we had some steady cash flow from the first recruits and we outvoted him."

"I wonder what that mare... mare? How did you say griffons called their females?"

"Chicks."

"I wonder what that chick would think about you now," she nodded towards Crom.

"What do you mean?"

"You look like you belong into a sarcophagus more than at some ball of nobility," she gave him a victorious smile.

Indeed, Cromach's wounds were healing rapidly and the only remains of his nearly fatal mistake were some scars which kept fading with each passing day, but the Order healers had trouble using restorative magic on him so they insisted on applying fresh bandages whenever necessary, or completely unnecessary. Cromach leaned towards the latter.

"Hmph, I doubt that," he shrugged, "Griffons, especially high nobility, see battle scars as a mark of status. We care deeply about our crippled and heavily wounded even after they cannot serve the Empire anymore. They are given safe jobs and the respect they deserve. I'm pretty sure that if she saw me like this she would melt in her chair. Speaking of mummies, you're one to talk."

Of course, after her recent experiences, Connie didn't look better. In her case, though, despite the healing magic working, it would take a good week or two to be at her full power. She preferred to think of herself as a Hearth's Warming present wrapped a little too early, though.

"Yeah, we're two handicapped on a date," Connie stuck her tongue out at him, "And I'm loving the fact that I can finally have a breather."

After the morning when totally nothing weird had happened, the two had met as promised and went on a short walk into Manehattan which had ended in this corner cafe, one of the hundreds spread around the metropolis. A walk, a good conversation, something resembling late breakfast more than lunch...

...Connie's day couldn't be better even if she had planned it before.

"I agree," Crom nodded, "Things haven't been this calm since Leo and Fortune's engagement."

"Yeah," Connie laughed, "Can I take us both being touched by gods and kicking some serious ass that evening as a sign that we should take this to the next level...?"

Her voice slowed down as the gears in her head started spinning. Now that she had a clue as to why the paralysis spell broke so early for both of them, something else stopped making sense completely.

Seeing her suddenly blank expression, Cromach snapped his talons.

"Is anything wrong?"

"You and I got set free by Nightmare's divinity in you and Harmony's in me, right?"

"That's the current theory, yes."

"And we have only a very small amount of their power, right?"

"That is true for you. From what little research Blaze and princess Luna did on me, I seem to possess a lot more. Where are you going with this?"

"Why did the princesses stay frozen the longest?"

"What?"

"The witnesses said that after we left the mansion chasing Black Shield and Secret Seeker, the princesses took the longest to break the spell. The DAMN alicorns!"

Cromach sat there, beak open.

"Maybe... maybe the spell was tailored specifically for them?" he took a wild guess, "To be honest, I know next to nothing about magic."

Shaking her head, Connie continued:

"Before the three rookies and I left Canterlot, I asked the Royal Guards for their file on Secret Seeker which was mostly a copy of his file from the wizard school. According to it, Secret Seeker was just an average no name. There's no way a mid-tier mage would be able to craft such spell, not to mention even getting the information about an event like Leo's ceremony happening. On top of that, and I know a bit about magic because I tried so hard to squeeze at least something out of myself before finding out nothing would ever help me, I know that creating a flesh golem, and one with living soul bound to it on top, is insanely advanced magic. Contingency spells are the same thing. Secret Seeker used all that at once, and he seemed to unlock the regenerative power of both rings."

"You think somepony forged Seeker's school file?"

"Exactly. Unfortunately, if the file is fake, then we won't find a connection to anypony in it. Asking every single pony inside the school and those outside who might have taken classes with him ten years ago is impossible."

"However, Seeker still had access to the school, and if he unlocked the rings' power then he had to have access to all the equipment and likely a lot of bits."

Connie nodded.

"I think somepony used him. Seeker was clearly powerful and intelligent, and somepony must have given him resources for his research."

"And when Seeker got compromised and looked for help that pony finished him off and now has the rings as well," Cromach's talons drummed on the table, "There were I think three or four wizards at the ceremony, all invited by princess Celestia herself. The only one I recall was Arcane Hex, though. He offered to help me measure and control my divine power. He was also the one who cleared the undead Seeker summoned en masse."

"And his spell was so strong it stopped Black Shield from slitting my throat even outside. Alright, the first name on the list."

"Hmm, any idea how to find the others?"

"Leo and Fortune must have the complete guest list. If you don't mind, I'd like to have a chat with them. The sooner the better."

"Damn it," Cromach sighed, "I really, really wanted this not to turn into work."

Leaning across the table, Connie took his talons into her hooves.

"I enjoyed every second, si- Cromach, but I think I'll enjoy beating the everliving hay out of whoever is behind all this just as much. Mind if I leave tonight?"

Cromach shook his head.

"Don't rush this time. You and Astray wanted to attend Black Shield's funeral in few days. In the meantime, you might think of something else you want to check."

Taking a long breath in and out, Connie smiled.

"You're right. Too much running around almost got all of us killed far too many times. That, and I'd hate to cut our date short."

"I'd regret that. Definitely."

"Good, let's ditch this place and go somewhere we can sit a bit closer to each other."

"The western park plaza sounds good."

"I was thinking maybe," she leaned over and whispered to his ear, "a dark cinema, possibly playing something to get in the right mood."

"Did I ever tell you a story about this young mare who rushed things too often and got spanked for it?"

"Maybe the mare like being spanked..." she gave him a lidded gaze.

"Connie."

She pursed her mouth, leaned even closer, and...

...stuck her tongue out at him.

"Just kidding, just kidding. You'll have to get used to me saying things like that, though, 'cause I don't intend to stop any time soon."

"Don't worry," Cromach raised his eyebrow, "I'll just have to buy a bigger paddle to spank you with."

"Whu- huh?"

"Two can play that game, Connie, and I'm the one with more experience."

The unicorn grinned.

"Never underestimate a mare with her mind set on something. I'll strike like a cobra, and you... you'll blush so hard the firefighters will issue a city-wide alarm."

"You're on, missy!"