• Published 18th Aug 2016
  • 330 Views, 14 Comments

Student of Night - Offnote



The first story in a series of more. Luna gains a "Royal Student", the first in Equestrian history. How will this pan out when she starts changing into Nightmare Moon?

  • ...
2
 14
 330

Silent Hymns

As the years progressed, Umbra became a prodigy in the arts of Black Magic, and continued being taught by his Mentor Princess Luna. The two were inseparable. In their free-time they’d either be pulling pranks on the guards or would enjoy conversing with one another. Umbra always stood by his Mentor’s side, like her personal bodyguard. He was even given the nickname, “The Royal Shadow” for how often he stood at Luna’s side. Umbra’s age went on too, and in no time at all he was almost a full grown Stallion. And with Umbra’s age, Luna was able to open up and relate to her friend and student more.

However, as the years progressed, so did Luna’s anger and envy towards her eldest sister. She first kept it to herself, but Umbra could easily notice her bitter envy towards Celestia and her daylight. As Luna became slightly more vocal, Umbra did his best to make her and her Night feel appreciated. Unbeknownst to Umbra and Princess Celestia, Luna’s built up anger and bitter jealousy was reaching its breaking point, and her desire to rebel against Celestia and the daylight became stronger and stronger.


It was shortly after the sunset and night had officially begun. Luna was sitting in her chambers, drinking her tea by the fireplace. After a small sip of her cup she let out a small and relaxed sigh.

Facing behind Luna was her doorway, sealed from any intrusion that could disrupted her relaxing moment. Out from under the sealed doors revealed a ghostly silhouette, casting itself onto the surface of Luna’s bedroom floor. The silhouette slithered across the floor to where the Princess of the night sat.

The shadow raised itself from the floor, right behind the seated Princess. The shadow took form, revealing piercing yellow eyes and razor sharp teeth. The shadow’s razor toothed grin opened slowly as it approached behind Luna, peacefully drinking her tea.

The Silhouettes monstrous grin moved ever so slowly to the Princess, and each second the mouth opened wider.

It’s razor sharp teeth grew closer and closer to the Princess of the night.

Closer…
Closer…
And then...

“Nice try Umbra.” Luna interrupted while still facing her fireplace. “But your approach could use some work. Your Aura gave you away.” Luna said with a small smile on her face.

The shadow’s black shroud vanished, revealing Luna’s Avaryn pupil.

“I could always never get the jump on you Lulu.” Umbra said with a smirk, his voice much deeper and eerie than when he was young.

Luna blushed at the sound of her unofficial nickname as she rose from her seat. “I think you’re just losing your edge.” She chuckled, playfully poking his snout.

Umbra rubbed his snout, trying to get rid of the weird feeling Luna’s poke brought to it. He then turned to Luna, who stood at the doorway of her room.

“Well Umbra, will my shadow be accompanying me or are you just going to stand there,” She teased with her friendly smile.

Umbra returned the smile and then followed his Mentor out the door, as Luna’s magic closed it behind them.


A few hours later, Luna’s Night court had ended for the evening, and Luna and her student were making their way through the candlelit hallways.

“I must say Luna, you really put that noble in his place.” Umbra said while accompanying his friend. “I’m impressed.” Umbra continued, cracking a smile.

“He was trying to swindle a grand amount of bits from us, I merely showed him who he was fooling with.” Luna responded, showing an amused smile.

“Still, he practically soiled himself tonight, that Royal shouting does quite the trick.” Umbra said, chuckling.

Luna couldn’t help but laugh along with her friend. “Yes, it comes quite handy sometimes.”

As the bit of laughter ran it’s course, Umbra spoke up again. “Well, Court was rather quick tonight. It’s only midnight.” Umbra said, gazing out a passing window.

Luna’s good mood quickly diminished. “Well, not a lot of Ponies showed up again.” Luna’s eyes stared to the ground with a frown across her face.

Umbra’s positive attitude also vanished. Oh great going Umbra! He mentally scolded himself.

Over time, Umbra had begun to notice that Luna was very insecure when it came to her and her night’s popularity, and over the past few nights fewer and fewer Ponies came to her Night Court.

Umbra laid a hoof on Luna's shoulder. “Lulu, You and I both know how greatly-”

Luna and Umbra’s attention shifted to what they saw walking through the hallway, or rather who.

“Celestia?” Luna called out.

Celestia turned her head to notice her younger sister and her pupil. “Oh, hello sister.” She said with a smile. She was wearing a bright golden dress, with her mane neatly styled.

She met halfway as Luna and Umbra made their way towards Celestia.

“And hello to you to Umbra.” She greeted, making sure not to forget him.

“Good evening.” Umbra responded with a smile. He never really conversed much with the Princess of the Sun, but he was still respectful to her and her title.

“What are you doing up at this hour, it’s half past midnight?” Luna questioned.

“I was attending a party.” Celestia said to her sister.

“A party?” Umbra questioned.

“Our subjects through a party honoring the Sunlight. I was to be the Mare of honor.” Celestia answered, bringing a hoof to her chest.

“Oh…” Luna responded with a stern look.

“I’m sorry for not being able to invite you sister.” Celestia heartedly apologized. “I rarely get to see you during the daytime.”

Luna stood there for a bit, zoning out for a few seconds before snapping back her attention. “Oh! There's no need to apologize sister, I understand.”

Luna may have shown a convincing smile, but Umbra saw past it. He knew that his Mentor was deeply affected, but not from what her sister thinks.

Celestia let out a loud yawn. “Well, I should be heading to bed. Good night yous two.” Celestia said, turning to walk to her chambers.

“Good night.” Umbra responded.

As Celestia left, he turned to his mentor. Luna’s head was bowed, with her spectral mane covering her teal eyes. She released a visible aura that mimicked her beautiful night sky. Umbra was taken aback, he could feel deep hatred and envy emanating from Luna and her aura.

“L-Luna?...” Umbra called out, fear visible in his voice.

Luna snapped out of her moment of rage, and her hateful aura dissipated. “Y-Yes Umbra?” She asked innocently.

“Uuuhh…” Umbra was uncertain how to approach this. Did she notice that aura at all? Umbra asked in his mind. Well… I don’t think I should mention it, I should focus on making her feel better. “Why don’t we head to the gardens for some tea.” Umbra asked, trying to find a way to lighten Luna’s mood.

To be honest, Luna just wanted to retreat to her room altogether. Although, tea sounded wonderful at the moment. “Sure Umbra, that sounds lovely.” She said with a smile.


Outside in the Royal gardens, Luna had a favorite spot to sit out and relax during her nice and quiet nights. It comprised of a small silver table, with two seats each matching the table’s decor. Although the seats were meant for Luna and her sister, most of the time it was Umbra who sat with the Princess of the night.

In the pale moonlight, Umbra and Luna sat at their favorite getaway. Umbra then used his magic from his horn to grab the glasses for their tea, while using his mane like shrouded tentacles to set up the ingredients for their tea. Over the years, Umbra had learned how to use his mane like appendages, which proved useful with multitasking.

Umbra then used his mane to place Luna’s teacup in front of her. However, Luna remained unphased. She stared blankly at the table, zoning out everything around her while deep in thought.

Umbra coughed into his hoof to gain Luna’s attention.

Luna’s head whipped in alarment to the sudden sound. “Y-Yes?”

“Your tea…”

“Oh yes! Thank you.” She grabbed the teacup in her hooves and took a large sip. Noticing that the tea was still hot, she quickly spit the tea. “AH, HOT HOT HOT!” She yelled while fanning her mouth.

“Of course, it’s tea remember?” Umbra chuckled.

Luna pouted at her Pupil.

Umbra levitated a napkin towards Luna.

“Hold still a moment.” He said, bringing the napkin towards Luna’s snout.

“H-Hey!” Luna resisted as Umbra brought the napkin against Luna’s snout. Umbra used the tissue to wipe the excess tea that was left on Luna’s lips.

“There.” Umbra said, resting the napkin.

“I-I could of gotten it myself…” She said, turning her head to hide her blush.

“Honestly Lulu, you can be quite the foal sometimes.” Umbra remarked, giving a playful smirk.

Luna glared at Umbra, scrunching her face while blushing.

Umbra, noticing how most of Luna’s tea was spat out, levitated the kettle towards her. “Would you like a refill, or would you prefer doing it yourself?” He asked playfully.

Luna then dropped her look with a small smile, then used her magic to take the kettle. After gently blowing on her tea to cool it down, she took a small, gentle sip. The tea was tremendously sweet, just the way she liked it.

As they both sat there enjoying their tea and some food Umbra had brought, Luna slowly descended back to her distant state. Umbra, despite his best attempts, could not keep conversation with the Princess of the night.

Umbra looked to the star-lit sky. “You certainly did a good job with your sky tonight.” He said, making another attempt to snap his mentor out of her eerie mood.

“Mhmm.” Luna hummed in response, staring at the tea in her cup. The glazed look in her teal eyes stared past her cup in deep thought.

Umbra sat there, still wondering how to get her attention. He then looked to his Mentor. “Do you know what I like most about your nights Luna?”

“What?” Luna asked with a plain tone, almost as soft as a whisper.

“The music…”

This captured Luna’s attention, as her head looked up to face her student. “What? What music?”

“Can’t you hear it?” Umbra asked. “The chirps of the crickets, the songs of the nightingales, and the hymn of the cicadas that blend with the whistles of the wind.” Umbra said with a sincere smile.

“How poetic.” Luna said with a scoff.

“I’m serious.” Umbra said, dropping his smile.

Luna’s head was turned to the ground, ignoring her student.

“They are the songs of all that rely on your efforts.” Umbra beckoned. “All the grateful noises to you and your night.”

“But what about the Ponies?” Luna whispered.

“Huh?”

“I said what about the Ponies of Equestria!?” Luna hissed. “They laugh, frolick, and play during my sister’s daylight! Then they sleep and never bare to appreciate all of my efforts!”

Behind Luna emanated the same hateful aura that Umbra had seen in the castle. However, this time the aura was bigger in size than it was before.


Umbra sat there taken aback. In all of his ten years with Luna, this was the first time Umbra had ever seen her this angry.

“They bask in her daylight, all she does is raise the Sun and that’s it! While I put time into the stars and colors that adorn my night sky!” She yelled again, slightly panting from her pent up adrenaline.

“I receive no thank yous, no parties, no appreciation of any kind. All because of my sister and her accursed Sun.” Luna said more calmly, although with the same harsh tone. “That’ll have to change.” She whispered.

Through her whisper, Luna’s eyes flashed a brighter hue, along with cat-like slits.

Umbra, completely petrified, stared at his mentor with widened eyes. “L-Luna?”

Luna’s aura disappeared around her. She turned and looked at her student, who stared at her with sheer terror in his bright yellow eyes. “I-I’m sorry Umbra.” Luna said while rising from her seat. “I’m retiring to my chambers for the night” She turned and began to make her exit from the gardens.

Umbra snapped out of his fear and looked out to his mentor, as she made her way to her room.

“G-Goodnight.” He said quietly.

Umbra sat alone in the gardens. He looked across the table, noticing the untouched tea cup that belonged to his best friend. The music that emanated through the night had gone silent. There was no hymns, no chirps, and no breeze throughout the whole gardens. Only silence.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long, Writers block sucks. This was originally going to be longer but I decided to split the chapter in half. Hope you look forward to the next chapter. Oh and if anyone is wondering, Umbra is around 18 in this chapter.

Comments ( 1 )

So far so good.

Login or register to comment