• Published 18th Aug 2016
  • 330 Views, 14 Comments

Student of Night - Offnote



The first story in a series of more. Luna gains a "Royal Student", the first in Equestrian history. How will this pan out when she starts changing into Nightmare Moon?

  • ...
2
 14
 330

Entrance Exam

Luna and Umbra had awoken early in the afternoon to warm up for the young Prince’s test. The test was to be right after Celestia had lowered the Sun. Luna had prepared some warm-up exercises in her room for Umbra by setting up more dying plants for him to practise on, and with each success he was able to cast it faster and more easily. It was almost five in the afternoon, and Umbra was still practicing his spell, making sure he doesn't mess up when it’s time.

Before Umbra stood a bruised apple. He had grabbed it from the kitchen when him and Luna ate breakfast, it was from a pile of other rotten fruits they were about to throw out.

Umbra looked at the bruised, green apple and lowered his head. As he pointed his jagged horn towards the fruit, he began the spell to ripen the fruit once again. In a few seconds, he cast the spell and had brought the fruit back to a clean and edible state. He was becoming so good at the spell that he didn’t have to feed off of other shadows to cast it.

‘Yeah, I’m gonna Ace this test!’ Umbra thought with confidence.

Just then, Princess Luna entered holding a tea-tray with her magic.

“Hello Umbra.” Luna greeted the Colt with a smile. “How is your progress with the healing spell?” she said, laying the tray on a coffee table.

Umbra walked over with the newly fresh apple in his magic.

“It’s worked each time I casted it.” He said with a wide smile. “Here, I made this apple fresh and ripe again.” Umbra said, giving the apple to Luna.

Luna inspected the apple and indeed saw it was fresh and ripe, looking like it had just been plucked. “Is this for me?” She asked curiously.

Umbra nodded. “Isn’t it polite to give your teacher an apple?” He said with a smile.

Luna returned a smile and took a small bite of her gift. It tasted even fresher than it looked.

“Thank you Umbra, you’re too sweet.” She said while rustling Umbra's mane. “I thought you could use a break, so I brought some tea for us to share.”

Umbra made his way over to the tea set and sat across from his Mentor. Luna had also brought some cookies for the little Colt. They sat and drank their tea in complete silence. Luna was the first to break the silence.

“Are you sure you’ll be ready for the test?” Luna asked with her tea still in her grasp.

Umbra sat there with his mouth stuffed with cookies, “Yep, I got this in the bag.”

Luna chuckled at the sight and wiped the crumbs from his face. “I’m glad to see your enthusiasm.” Her smile quickly disappeared. “But you know what will happen if you fail, don’t you little one?” She said with a small frown.

Umbra swallowed the remainder of his cookies and had a serious look also.

“I know, I won't be able to stay with you.” He sat with a frown. Then a sudden grin appeared in his face. “But thanks to your Forbidden Magic,” He said with a jokingly eerie tone. “I will not only beat, but DESTROY this test.”

He and Luna then laughed at his overly enthusiastic attitude.

“Alright then Umbra.” She said in a soft tone. Luna had only told Umbra he would be kicked out of the Castle. She didn’t want to scare the Colt by mentioning he wouldn’t just be kicked out, but also banished from Equestria. She then checked her clock and saw that it was about time for sunset, the same time the test would take place.

“It is time.” Luna said, setting her tea down. “Are you ready?”

Umbra shot up and grinned at his mentor, then gave her a quick nod.


Celestia sat on her throne, waiting for her Sister and the Avaryn. The doorway was already opened to make for their arrival. Shortly after, Luna and the young Colt entered the throne room. Celestia made her way to the center of the room and stood in front of the small Colt. Celestia’s face had a stern and serious look which made Umbra very nervous.

Umbra turned to her mentor for support. Luna gave a smile and nodded her head.

Celestia had noticed the Colt’s nervousness. She didn’t want that to mess him up or distract him. She dropped her stern expression and gave the young Prince a soft smile.

“It’s alright Umbra Night. You were taught by one of the finest. I have a feeling you won’t disappoint.” she said as she smiled at her younger sister.

Luna noticed that her sister had no Flowers or plants around that needed to be healed.

“Sister,” Luna spoke, “What will he be testing the spell on?” She asked out of nervous curiosity.

Celestia’s serious look returned, “Simply healing a flower or plant wouldn’t really be putting a spell like this to good use.” She then used her magic to reveal a small wooden case. She then opened it and pulled from it a simple kitchen knife. She then kicked off a golden shoe from her forehoof.

Luna knew where Celestia was going with this.

“A grand test for a healing spell would be for an actual injury.” She then raised her bare forehoof and used her magic to bring the knife against it.

“Dear Sister, are you sure this is a good idea?” Luna asked with deep concern.

Celestia closed her eyes and smiled, “If he completes a task like this, then I’m certain his magic can be used responsibly.”

She then brought the knife closer to her forehoof. She ran the knife across her foreleg as blood began seeping onto the stone floor. She then used her magic to clean the blade with a tissue, and then sealed it back into the case.

Celestia then brought her hoof before Umbra. The cut wasn’t deep or life threatening, but a great amount of blood still poured from the cut.

Umbra looked at Celestia who had a blank and serious expression. He then turned to look at Luna. After a few seconds, Luna gave a simple nod, pushing for him to continue.

Umbra then swallowed nervously, then closed his eyes for concentration.

He then ran through what Luna had taught him.

‘Picture that all the shadows around are one with you and your own shadow.’

Instead of the shadows coming to him, their dark energy emanated around him. He had learned this helped better by practicing the spell repeatedly.

‘Imagine your shadow that is bound to you. Picture it course from your hooves and enter your very being.’

The dark energy he had gained began to create an aura around him.

Celestia was still watching with a blank expression, While Luna sat and watched nervously.

‘Please, please, please, please work.’ She begged in her mind.

Umbra still was remembering what he was taught.

‘Capture a portion of your newfound power and direct it toward the injury.’

His horn then slowly eliminated, then shot towards the Princesses cut.

‘Feel where the pain is emanating within you and connect it with that of the injury.’

Umbra felt within him the stinging pain of the cut. He released his dark aura towards the cut to begin healing it.

‘Now the final step.’

‘Let your shadows and essence mend and heal all of the pain within the wound.’

Umbra then let the dark magic leave his horn. Umbra began to sweat, His small body couldn’t properly control the amount of shadows within him. His magic was beginning to fade and the cut was barely treated.

‘NO!’ He screamed in his mind. ‘I can’t fail this!’ In his mind he saw the destroyed city he once called home. He saw a young colt scavenging for food. He saw the young, shivering colt trying to stay warm in the cold winters under a few blankets, clutching a small stuffed Dragon. The only friend he had.

He didn’t want to go back to that life ever again. The dark energy flowed to his Vantablack mane and tail, causing it to resemble flames. However, these flames were cold, and shown no light.

Celestia and Luna stared with wide eyes as Umbra’s flame-like mane began wrapping itself around the cut on the Princess’s foreleg.

“I DON’T WANT TO BE ALONE AGAIN!” Umbra yelled with tears in his closed eyes.

The dark aura around him then burst, causing a wave of darkness to shroud the room. When the room was clear and visible again, the Vantablack aura that was Umbra’s mane and tail began to die down. Luna and Celestia opened their eyes after shielding them from the burst of Dark Magic. Umbra then slowly opened his eyes, with tears running down his small muzzle. Luna picked up the crying Colt and began to lull him in her arms.

“Congratulations Umbra Night.”

Umbra and Luna instantly turned their heads to the Princess of the Sun. Her forehoof was perfectly healed, and looked as clean as it did before the test.

“You have passed the test.” Celestia said with a comforting smile.

Luna let go of the young Prince as he ran to Celestia to see how he’d done.

“I-I did?!” Umbra asked with bewilderment.

Celestia simple nodded, and then pointed at the young Colt’s flank.

“And it seems you’ve gotten your Cutie mark as well.” She said with a heartwarming smile.

Umbra and Luna both looked to see the Prince’s new Cutie mark. It stood for his talent and knowledge for magic, but had its links to the dark arts. It was the same mark that was on the Black Magic spellbooks, a Unicursal Hexagram.

“Woah!” He shouted with glee, as he kept staring at the six pointed sigil on his flank.

Luna’s jaw dropped at the result of the Princes test.

“Does that mean…” She asked with anticipation.

Celestia nodded once more, “Indeed. From this day forth, Umbra Night shall have a home with us and be your student little Sister.” She said with the same heartwarming smile.

Umbra’s smile could not get any bigger as he jumped and hugged his Mentor. Luna was extremely happy as well that she could redeem and care for the young Avaryn. She was so happy infact that she had tears in her eyes, and so did Umbra.

She nuzzled the young Colt, “You’ll never have to be alone again little one.” She said, wiping tears from the young Princes face.

Umbra’s face still had a huge smile, even with tears stained around it.

“D-Does that mean we can play?” He asked while wiping away some stray tears.

“Of course little one.” She said putting him down, “In fact, we can play tonight to celebrate!”

“Really!?” He shouted with excitement.

“Yes little Umbra, we can play in the Royal gardens.” She began walking to the doorway of the Throne room. “You go on ahead, I have to raise the Moon first.”

The little Colt scampered down the corridors to the Gardens with happy laughter.

Luna walked to her Sister and gave her a loving nuzzle out of appreciation.

“Thank you dear sister.” Luna said with a smile.

Celestia returned her sister’s sign of affection, “You need not thank me Luna. It was you that helped him succeed today.” She said with a smile. “I’m just sorry I had to be so hard on him.” she said with a slight frown.

“It’s alright Tia,” Luna said while resting a hoof on her Sister's shoulder. “You were just looking out for Equestria and it’s safety.” She said with a smile.

“Thank you for understanding.” Celestia said with a slight bow.

As Luna made her way to lower the Moon, she stopped and turned to her Elder Sister.

“Sister.” Luna yelled across the room grabbing her sister’s attention.

“I ask of you…” Luna hesitated again, “If Umbra’s magic does become destructive, or should he go down the wrong path, please give him a chance, and please may no harm come to him.” Luna begged.

Celestia was silent, not knowing how to respond to her little sister’s request. Luna gave a serious and pleading expression toward her. Celestia finally considered her sister’s request with a sigh, “I promise, If he ever lost himself, I will help him. No mortal harm will ever come to him.” She said with a small smile.

Luna gave a grateful smile and made her way to lower the Moon.


Luna couldn’t have chosen a better place to play and celebrate. The gardens were vast and full of good hiding spots for hide and seek. Luna and Umbra played and laughed together until it was almost morning.

The Princess of the Night and the young Avaryn then laid in the yard outside of the garden and both looked at the stars.

“You made that one too?” Umbra said pointing at another constellation.

“Yes, that one is Pisces. It's based off the koi fish in the garden.” She said with a smile.

Umbra let out a loud yawn and curled up to Luna.

“And what about that one?” He asked tiredly.

“That one is Libra, it symbolizes the balance of power me and...” Luna looked to her side to see Umbra sleeping while cuddled up next to her.

She smiled and layed her wing across the young Colt. She then rested her head as well and began to drift off to sleep under the starry night sky.

“Sweet dreams little one.”

Author's Note:

This was going to be a short chapter believe it or not.:twilightblush:
If anyone is wondering what Umbra's Cutie looks like...


I think I posted it right...:rainbowhuh: