• Published 18th Aug 2016
  • 328 Views, 14 Comments

Student of Night - Offnote



The first story in a series of more. Luna gains a "Royal Student", the first in Equestrian history. How will this pan out when she starts changing into Nightmare Moon?

  • ...
2
 14
 328

The Dawn Of It All

Before the events leading to Nightmare Moon’s banishment, there were a prosperous species. Their coats were red as rubies, and manes as black as night, and they had one feature that set them aside from the other ponies of Equestria, their Eyes. Their eyes were a blazing yellow with pupils resembling that of a goats. These features made them feared by whoever encountered them. They were known as “The Avaryn” which was Old Equestrian for “impious ones”. These “Ponies” were dangerous and could be very destructive, and were known for using their power for their own gain. Princess Celestia and her sister, Princess Luna, kept them in check and warned them to not bring any harm towards their kingdom. However, the Avaryn had one thing to match their power, their pride.

Years of being constantly kept in check they pushed to prove their power and dominance over the Princesses and ransacked entire villages of Ponies, Pegasi, and Unicorns. Seeing the Destruction they caused and were capable of doing, the two Princesses used the Elements of Harmony against the Avaryn. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had to make sure that raw, destructive power such as the Avaryn’s could not continue to exist. The Avaryn’s combined power stood no chance against the Elements as the Princesses used them to banish the Avaryn from the face of Equestria, never to be heard from again.


In the Castle of the Two Sisters, a frantic guard runs through the hallway to the Princess's Throne room. The Guard bursts the door open to find Princess Celestia with the rest of her court.

“Your Highness…” The Stallion says bowing, gasping for air from his sprint. “I have been ordered to give you this.” He presents a sealed scroll to the Princess. “I was told it was of great importance to present you with this report at once.”

Celestia takes the scroll with an aura of magic from her horn and then starts to read it silently. Her eyes widen as she finishes reading, however, she still keeps her composure.

“Thank you, you are dismissed” Celestia states to the guard. With a brief salute he leaves the throne room. “That goes for the rest of the Court too, you are dismissed for today.” Celestia orders her court and then watches them leave. Celestia then pulls a piece of parchment and begins to write to her sister.


My Dearest Sister,

I have received disturbing information that requires your help. It is of high

Importance to see me as soon as you receive this letter. Please don’t saunter.

Your Sister,

Celestia


Then with her magic, Celestia transported the sealed letter to her sister.
“Please hurry dear sister…”


After raising the Moon, Luna enters her chambers and finds the letter. Without a moment's hesitation she gallops straight to the throne room, where Celestia is sitting on her throne.

“Sister! I received your letter. Is everything alright?” Luna yells worriedly, wondering what this ‘disturbing information’ could be. Celestia says nothing as she uses her magic to float the report to her sister.

Princess Luna opens the scroll and quickly reads the report, then makes a worried gasp. “But how can this be? I thought they were gone!” She says in a panicked tone. Princess Celestia then reveals her look of concern and begins to walk toward her sister.

“I do not know how an Avaryn could have appeared, but after seeing their power we can see that something has to be done.” Luna shudders remembering the destruction the Avaryn caused. She then nodded to Celestia in agreement. “Thankfully the report states that only one Avaryn was spotted, so we do not need the elements to subdue it.” Celestia continues to her sister.

“Then how do we stop it without the elements?” Luna asks.

“Due to the time of day, my power would only slow you down if we had a physical confrontation. Not to mention that I need my rest so that I can raise the Sun tomorrow. So i’m afraid this task must fall to you.” Celestia informs Luna. “Do not be worried,” she continues after seeing her sister’s hesitant reaction. “This is a spell I’ve created that could banish a small amount of Avaryns.” She floats another sealed scroll to Luna. “I know you can overcome this” Celestia assures her sister. Luna then gives Celestia a reassuring smile and accepts the scroll.

“Alright, then I’ll be off.” Luna then spreads out her midnight blue wings and takes off into the night.

Celestia watches as her sister flies off into the horizon with a look of confidence and worry. “Be careful Luna.”


The Avaryn had a city made of stone surrounded by a forest more eerie than the Everfree. However, the location of their domain was far from most equestrian civilizations and was quite a distance to travel. This gave Luna the time to practice the spell her sister had given her. The spell Celestia had given her was vocal, so Luna had to remember the words so she could recite them. So during the flight, Luna repeatedly recited the spell in her mind until she could completely recite it off hand. As Luna finished studying the spell she tucked the scroll into her saddle bag. When she finished she looked and saw that she was at the stone city. She landed on what was left of a small road and started treading through the once great city.

The city was a decaying mess, with stone structures and debris spread throughout the empty streets it once had. Luna hadn’t been here for almost two years, which had caused moss and vines to entangle around the stonework from being abandoned. Luna was on edge, she was a little nervous to encounter an Avaryn again after seeing what they could do. After about 30 minutes of treading through what was left of the city, she was starting to doubt if there was anything here at all.

“I thought this place is where it was spotted.” Luna said as she pulled out the report to reassure herself. “If this is some kind of joke I don’t find it rather amusing.” she said frustratingly as she returned the report to her saddle bag. Just then she heard a rustle coming from a nearly destroyed stone building, followed by quick hoof-steps. “Who’s there!” Luna called out. Suddenly she heard another clamor coming from a pile of stone. As she looked over a quick silhouette ran from the stone to a pile of decaying vines and branches. Luna put on a bold face and begin to walk over to the pile she saw the silhouette escaped to. “Show yourself at once!” She demanded. The pile only made a few small rustles in response. With a quick use of her magic, Luna grabbed the pile of branches and vines to reveal the spectre. The spot was empty.

“What? I could’ve sworn I saw it dive in here.” Luna said in disbelief as she looked around the spot she saw the mysterious silhouette dive to. She continued to look until she heard a branch snap from behind her. She instantly turned around, beginning to activate a spell to quickly defend herself. She looked left and right and found nothing, until she heard a small giggle. She looked down and found the perpetrator, and the Avaryn. However, when Luna saw it, her hardened and determined face fell and her jaw slightly dropped.

“Whaa-? I-It’s a mere Colt.” Luna couldn’t believe that this ‘Threat’ was only an Avaryn Colt, not even with it’s own Cutie Mark.

“Aw you found me.” He said, continuing a playful giggle. “You wanna play with me? My home is nearby.” He said, with an energetic smile.

‘Wait...home? Although the report said that there was one Avaryn, Maybe It’s one of his parents that is actually the real threat, and Celestia did say that this spell is powerful enough to take a few on if I’m outnumbered.’ Luna thought it over a moment longer, then smiled at the little Avaryn, “Okay little one, lead on.”

The Avaryn gave a large, happy smile. “Okay, follow me.”


The walk was not very far, probably a mere five minutes. They arrived in front of what looked like a stone palace, or what was left of it. “This is your home?” Luna asked, wondering why it was so huge. He must have been of nobility or some other high class.

“Yep. Come on.” The Avaryn made a full gallop into the ruins.

“Wait, hold up!” Luna called after the foal, She then hurried to catch up to the little Colt. The Palace was even bigger on the inside. Whoever this Colt is, he must’ve been of really high class. The vast amount of space made her lose track of the Avaryn. “Hello, where did you go?” she called out. ‘Great’, she thought in her mind, ‘It will take me forever to find him.’

“I’m in here!” He called out from up the stairs.

Luna then followed where the young voice lead her too. She climbed up to the second floor where he was waiting outside of a crumbling doorway.

“In here.” He said, waving his forehoof over for her to follow. He then scampered into the room he was calling her too.

Luna started to walk after him when she started to think. ‘What if this is a trap, what if he’s trying to lure me where there’s an ambush?’ However, her instincts were telling her to follow suit. The child seemed innocent enough and seemed to mean no harm. She walked into the room and saw what appeared to be a bedroom. It was dark, covered with rubble and dust, with some moss and vinework encasing some of the stone. The Avaryn poked out from the side of a collapsed stone.

“This is my room.”, he said with pride. “Sorry it’s a bit messy.” he then said nervously. He ran over to the front side of his bed, and pulled out a small, dusty cushion from underneath. He brushed off some of the dirt with his wavy, black tail and then sat on a smaller cushion beside the one he pulled out. He smiled at Luna with that same innocent smile and patted the cushion beside of him for her to sit down.

Luna smiled at him and then sat beside him. He then got up and pulled out a old, fancy pitcher and poured some water into two similar small cups. He then placed them onto a tray, then to Luna’s surprise, The little Colt’s pointed horn sparked and then started to dimly glow. He had his tongue out in concentration and then levitated the tray over to Luna. Luna was wide eyed. This Avaryn already knew magic, and an Avaryn's magic grows exponentially more powerful the older it gets . She snapped out of her amazement and picked up her glass with her magic. She took a small drink of the water, and her eyes opened with surprise. She nearly spat out the water, but didn’t want to offend the little Colt. She looked at the water and saw that it was very dirty, with dust and dirt filtered within it.

“Where did you get this water?” She asked full of concern. She was surprised to see the Avaryn drink his water contently.

“I got it at the well, It’s in the garden out back.” He said and then continued drinking.

Luna Picked up the pitcher and saw that the water inside of it was just as dirty as the one she drank.
“I don’t think you should be drinking this little one.” She said looking at him with concern.

The Avaryn looked up at the Princess, “I know It isn’t the best, but you get used to it eventually.” He said and put his cup down.

Luna watched as he started pouring himself another glass. She couldn’t let him continue drinking that filth. “Here,” She reached into her saddlebag and pulled out a small canteen filled with water from her castle. “Drink this.” she said as she levitated the canteen over to him with her magic. He grabbed the canteen with his hooves. He was a bit suspicious of whatever it was he was just given. He took a small sip, causing his eyes to widen. He then chugged the canteen, as if his life depended on it. It was probably the first time he has drank clean water in the longest time.

“This is amazing!” He said before going back to chugging the water.

“Don’t drink it too fast.” Luna said, which caused him to slow down a bit. She looked at him with concern, wondering how long it has been since he had drank clean water. “What is your name little one?”

The young Avaryn pulled himself from the canteen and looked at Luna, catching his breath. “My name is Umbra.” He said.

“Well then, Umbra. My name is Princess Luna.” Luna said slightly bowing.

“A PRINCESS?!” He yelled, almost choking on his water. “That’s why you wear that crown. That's SO cool!" He went for another drink. When only a drop of water left the canteen he looked at Luna with an apologetic face.

The Princess of the night chuckled and looked at him. “It’s alright little Umbra, It looks like you needed it more than I.” She got up and looked around the room. There were drawings on some of the fallen stonework along with some chalk lying around them. In the corner she found a small, raggedy doll, made to look like a Dragon.

“That's Toothy. My Mother gave him to me.” Umbra said as he trotted over to Luna. She handed the stuffed Dragon to Umbra, who began to play with it.

“Where is your mother?” Luna asked.

Umbra suddenly stopped playing with the Dragon and laid it down on his little cushion. “I don’t know. One day I was playing outside and then I saw this really cool looking bug. It was HUGE! So I followed it trying to catch it.” Luna looked quietly at Umbra, allowing him to continue. “I realized shortly after that I was really far from here, and galloped back before I could get into trouble. When I got back, everyone was gone, even my parents.”

Luna looked at him with deep pity and sadness, realizing that she was the reason behind their absence. “You’ve been here by yourself all this time?” Luna asked the small Avaryn.

“Yep. You’ve been the only other pony I’ve seen in a long time, that’s why I was so excited to play with you.” He said with yet another innocent smile. “Plus, you have wings AND a horn, like my mom did, I just had to meet you!” He said with excitement.

‘Wait...like his Mother.’ Luna looked around and found a small picture frame. She picked it up and dusted it off. It was a picture of a tall, radiant looking Avaryn Mare, holding a small Foal wrapped in a blanket.Written on the frame were the words, “My loving future Prince, Umbra Night.” She looked at the photo again and noticed that the mare indeed had a horn and wings, but also a crown. This small Foal was not just any Avaryn, but a PRINCE!

“Your name is Umbra Night?” Luna asked the small Avaryn.

“Yep, that’s my full name.” He answered with a big grin.

‘The name proves it, he’s the son of the Queen, Spectral Night, the Avaryn that fought my sister and I.’ Luna thought. Just then, she remembered the spell, and what she came here to do. Luna looked back at the small colt, who was beginning to levitate the tray of water back to where he had it. ‘I can’t banish him too, he’s so young’ She thought in her mind. ‘No! Remember the destruction they caused!’ Luna continued to fight with her conscious. ‘What if-what if I take him in. I could convince Celestia to let him be taught to use his powers for good.’ She looked back again at Umbra and his room, which was nothing really but a decaying shelter.

“Umbra.” Luna called to the Colt.

“Yeah.” He answered back.

“W-would you like to come stay with me?” She asked, trying to not sound creepy.

“What?” He said, tilting his head.

“I said: Would you like to come stay with me? I happen to live in a rather large place myself, easy to house another pony.. I couldn’t stand to leave you alone again.” She asked, she really didn’t want to think of him going back to drinking dirty water and living in a ruin for another night.

Umbra stared for a moment. His eyes then lit up with a huge smile on his face. He rushed over to one of her forehooves and hugged it tightly. “Yes, please. I don’t want to stay here all alone again.” He said as tears began to run down his face.

Luna was taken aback, but then smiled contently and wrapped a wing around the crying Colt. “Well, I’m due back right about now,” Luna said looking at the Moon in the sky. “So hurry and grab your things.”

Umbra ran and grabbed the one thing he needed, his little stuffed dragon Toothy.

“Are you sure that’s all you need?” She asked.

“Mhmm, It’s all I really needed living here.” He said, giving Luna yet another one of his famous innocent smiles.

Luna smiled at the little Avaryn before placing the him on her back with her magic.

“Alright then, hold tight!” Luna then spread her wings and flew out of the castle, into the night sky. Umbra was cheering, with one hoof in the air and the other holding on to Luna. Luna couldn’t help but chuckle softly.

However, Luna was still holding back her fear of what her sister's reaction might be. She decided to block it out and continued her flight back to the Castle.