• Published 18th Aug 2016
  • 323 Views, 14 Comments

Student of Night - Offnote



The first story in a series of more. Luna gains a "Royal Student", the first in Equestrian history. How will this pan out when she starts changing into Nightmare Moon?

  • ...
2
 14
 323

Change of Lessons

Luna brought the book to her chambers. After lowering the Moon she sat on her bed with the book she brought from the library to see if she could find anything to help with Umbra’s magic.

‘There must be something useful in here.’ Luna thought while flipping through the pages with her magic. The book had the Anatomy, History, and Culture of the Avaryn. About halfway into the book, Luna found what she was looking for.

“Avarynian Magic” She read aloud. She continued to read the chapter in silence, searching for a way to help Umbra with his magic.

‘Apparently, due to the Avaryn’s destructive nature, they cannot use typical Alicorn and Unicorn magic as it is mostly peaceful and harmless. Avaryn’s need magic that bonds with their chaotic capabilities, which is why they mostly use Black Magic.

Luna marked the page and closed the book. ‘Black Magic.’ She repeated in her thoughts. ‘Black Magic is forbidden to Ponies as it corrupts and destroys them.’ She walked up to her drawer and used a spell only known to her to unlock and open it. Within the drawer was a key. The key was black as an abyss with markings and sigils engraved onto the metal. The handle had a black orb on it that reacted when Luna held it. The orb illuminated with a blue glow, creating a sigil of a glowing blue eye onto the orb.

“Good to see it still works.” She said looking at the key in her hoof.

She stared at the key for a good minute or so before placing the book and the key back into the drawer and locking it with her magic. She walked to her bed and wound up her Alarm clock.

“Well, I won’t be able to teach if I’m dead tired.” She said as she laid into her bed and drifted off to sleep.


It was late in the afternoon, and Umbra was still fast asleep. His bedroom was one of the guest rooms in the castle close to Luna’s chambers. Luna opened the door carefully and entered the room. It was a rather large room, much like the others. However, It was rather bland and empty. All he had in his room was a bed, a desk, and a window with a small balcony. If he passes the test tomorrow at sunset he will be able to make it his own personal room and can decorate it however he pleases.

Umbra was laying with his stuffed Dragon Toothy, as he always did when he slept. She couldn’t help but stare at the sleeping Prince in his huge bed
‘He looks so peaceful, I really don’t want to disturb him.’ She thought while watching the Colt sleep,

‘No. If he wants to pass then I have to wake him.’ Luna then gently placed her right forehoof on the Colt’s shoulder.

“Umbra.” She said, slightly shaking the little Prince.

Umbra let out a grunt and turned away from his Mentor.

“Umbra.” She said a bit louder, trying to wake him.

This time it worked. Umbra opened his eyes and let out a sleepy yawn.

“Luna, It’s not even sunset yet.” He complained pointing out the window to the low setting Sun.

“I’m aware.” Luna said with a small chuckle. “But you’re test is tomorrow and you must learn how to cast a healing spell by then.” Luna said, switching to a more sincere tone.

Umbra hopped off of his bed and slowly approached his Mentor.

“But we’ve done everything by the book and I still can’t do it.” He said looking down at the ground as tears escaped from his Goat-like eyes.

Luna lifted his chin with her hoof so that he was staring right at her.

“I’m aware of that.” she says while using her magic to wipe his tears with a tissue. “However, I have some books that will surely help you.” she said with a soft smile.

Umbra tilted his head in confusion before Luna started to lead the way. Luna entered her room with her student not far behind. Umbra was amazed of how unique Luna’s bedroom looked. He never really got to stare and appreciate it from when he first stayed there.

“Woah, your room looks so cool!” Umbra said with his eyes widened. He was amazed at all the unique decorations of Crescent Moons and dimly lit Stars. Even her bed was shaped like a Crescent Moon.

Luna let out a small chuckle. “If you pass your Test then you can decorate your room any way you want.” She then turned and walked toward one of her dressers. She then used her magic to move her dresser to reveal a Hidden Door.

The door was very different from all the others in the Castle. It was entirely made of stone, and was entirely blank. The only thing on the door was a single keyhole in the middle of it’s surface.

Luna pulled out a single key, which glowed and developed a dark aura around it. She then inserted the key into the lone keyhole. When she turned it the whole door was covered in glowing white runes.

As he saw the runes, Umbras Goat-like eyes glowed a brighter yellow then returned to normal. The door then shook and then slid to the side revealing a room entirely without light.

As Luna and Umbra entered, the dark room instantly lit up with candles revealing a large study. The room consisted of a wide bookshelf, several candles, and a small wooden table in the center of it.

“This is where we will practice Umbra.” Luna stated as she entered the room.

“What is this place?” Umbra said, looking around the dimly lit room.

“This room is entirely dedicated to the study of Black Magic.” Luna said walking toward the vast bookshelf.

“B-Black Magic?”

“It is a branch of Magic that few can handle.” Luna said while scanning some books. “As Princess of the Night, I am able to teach this dark art.”

“D-Dark, does that mean it’s evil?” asked Umbra.

Luna turned to Umbra with a sincere smile, “No Umbra. Like all Magic, it is how you use it that makes it good or evil.” She continued her scan of the bookshelf. “Black Magic is known as a Dark Art due to its corruptive capabilities.” She said as she brought out another book. She blew the dust off of it to reveal it’s title. It was indeed the one she was looking for.

“Pony Magic was created with peaceful intent, while Black Magic was created for dark and destructive intents.” She said as she placed the book on the table. “If a normal Pony uses Black Magic, it would corrupt and destroy them.”

Luna turned to look at her young student. He was simply terrified.

“H-However, you are not like most Ponies, and I have a feeling that you can not only cast this Magic, but master it as well.” She said to reassure him. She didn’t want to reveal too much to him, not yet.

“Y-You really think so? Umbra said looking toward his teacher.

She laid a reassuring hoof on his shoulder, “I know so.” She said with a smile.

With new found confidence, Umbra walked to the table to see the book. The cover was made entirely out of Obsidian, With a gray Unicursal Hexagram above the title. The book read, “Spells of the Black Arts: Novice.” Below the title had small, engraved glyphs.

“What are these?” Umbra said, running his hoof across the Glyphs.

Luna this time, noticed his eyes glow while his hoof ran along the Glyphs. “It is the title. However, this is written in the language of Black Magic. You will learn this language the more you practice this art.”

“I already know what it reads.” Umbra said, still analyzing the cover.

“You do?”

“I don’t know why, but I can understand it clear as day.” Umbra said while putting the book down.

Luna was shocked, but not surprised. Black Magic after all was used by all Avaryn. “Then you will master this art in no time.” She said with a smile.

She then sat next to Umbra and opened the book.

“Now, Let us begin.”


It was well into the night, and thanks to Umbra’s inherited skill, they were able to fly through the basics in no time.

“Well done my student.” Luna said as she handed Umbra some tea. “Since you finished the basics so fast, we have more than enough time for you to master a healing spell.”

Umbra smiled as he sipped his tea, and Luna did so too.

After their mini tea break, Luna put the tea-tray aside and brought out a small flower pot. In it was a single, dying Tulip. It’s once beautiful pink blossom was now wilted and dull. She placed it on the single small table in the middle of the room.

“Now, let us begin our final lesson for the night.” Luna said with eagerness.

Umbra then headed towards the small table and sat before it. Umbra sat with his eyes shut in meditation, as was taught in some of the basics.

“Now, picture that all the shadows around are one with you and your own shadow.” Luna said, watching Umbra closely.

As Umbra sat, all of the shadows, from the books to the tables moved toward his, causing it to grow bigger in size.

“Now, imagine your shadow that is bound to you. Picture it course from your hooves and enter your very being.”

As she finished saying that, Umbra’s shadow disappeared and engulfed around him. This brought a dark and menacing aura around the little Colt.

“Now, capture a portion of your newfound power and direct it toward the dying plant.”

The dark Aura then surged toward his jagged horn. Then, with a quick burst, the dark energy engulfed the withered Tulip.

“Umbra, do you feel it’s pain? Do you feel it’s weakness and vulnerability?” Luna said with a soft and sincere tone.

Umbra’s eyes shut tighter as he felt the small Tulips pain. It didn’t hurt him physically, but he felt the pain and weakness within his being. “Y-Yes.

“This is the final step. Feel where the pain is emanating within you and connect it with that of the plant.” Luna said. There was a hint of nervousness within her words.

The dark Aura grew and wrapped around the entire plant from deep within it’s roots.

“Now, let your shadows and essence mend and heal all of the pain and weakness within the plant.” Luna said. She was getting more nervous for this to work by the second.

Umbra let out a grunt of exertion as the dark magic left from his horn and disappeared within the plant.

Umbra opened his eyes and both him and Luna walked slowly towards the plant. It was still wilted as it was before.

Then without warning, the dark aura returned and wrapped around all of the withered and dying parts of the plant. It’s shriveled and brown leaves became soft and a luscious green. The stem straightened and also returned to it’s beautiful green color. Then the aura transferred all the way up to the top of the plant and caused it’s dull and dying petals to return to a beautiful and lush violet.

Umbra and Luna’s eyes widened as the shroud disappeared and revealed a once again young and vibrant Tulip.

“IT WORKED!” Umbra said as he hopped and cheered around the small room.

Luna’s jaw was practically to the floor. Against all odds they were able to successfully cast a healing spell.

Umbra then jumped and hugged Luna with pure joy.

“WE DID IT WE DID IT WE DID IT!” Umbra said as he hugged his Mentor and friend.

Luna then smiled and returned the embrace

“Yes my little Umbra, we did it.”

Luna then looked out the sunroof above of the room and stared at the night sky.

“It’s still far from sunrise, so now we have more then enough time to make up for not playing yesterday.” Luna said with a smile.

“You bet!” Umbra said. He then booped Luna on her muzzle with his crimson hoof. “You’re It!” He screamed as he ran out of the room, laughing with glee.

“Oh no you don’t!” She said while giggling as she chased after the young Colt.

As both Black Magic Casters left, The candles within the Spell room blew out as the door sealed again.


Umbra and Luna played all throughout the Castle, playing Tag, Hide & Seek, and all sorts of games. But before any of them knew it, it was time for rest and for Luna to lower the Moon. Luna looked at the clock on a corridor wall and saw how late, or in this case early it had gotten.

“Alright Umbra, It’s time for bed.” Luna called out to the young Prince.

“Aww.” Umbra let out, making his way towards his Teacher.

Luna let out a small chuckle, “Cheer up little one. You must have your rest.”

She then brought Umbra to his room. She brought Umbra his little stuffed dragon and then tucked him in bed. Umbra let out a yawn as he layed in his bed.

“Don’t worry little one. Passing this test means you can live here with me and my sister.” she then nuzzled him for affection. “And then we can play everyday.”

She then made her way toward her room. Once she got there she left to her balcony and lowered the Moon. She then set her alarm and then laid in her crescent shaped bed.

As she was about to drift off into sleep she heard a creek at her door. She turned to find Umbra with his plush Dragon in her doorway.

“Is there something wrong little one?” Luna asked in a concerned tone.

“I couldn’t sleep. I’m a bit worried about the test tomorrow.” Umbra said with his head lowered.

Luna couldn't blame him. In fact she was a bit nervous too.

“C-Can I lay with you tonight?” Umbra said bashfully.

Luna gave him a warm smile, “Of course you can little one.”

She then scooted over to make room for the small Colt. After he hopped into the bed he then snuggled his way under the covers next to Luna.

“Goodnight Luna.” He said while drifting off to sleep.

Her mind still wasn’t at ease as Luna laid with the Colt. ‘What if he forgets the spell?’ ‘What if he FAILS?’ Luna thought. However she set those thoughts aside and closed her eyes while the little Colt slept soundly next to her.

“Goodnight my little Prince.”

Author's Note:

Hello, The UnHoly-Brony here. With my new Job and dreadful social life, it might take a while for new chapters. But I fully intend to continue this story, and I assure no matter the time-span it would be worth the wait.:raritywink: