• Published 22nd Dec 2011
  • 6,882 Views, 115 Comments

Faded Rainbow - Trinary



Rainbow Dash deals with feelings of embarrassment and bruised pride when the town laughs at her.

  • ...
6
 115
 6,882

Epilogue

EPILOGUE

“Witness the amazing talents of the Great and Powerful Trixie!” The boastful, pompous words rang hollow as ponies walked by the blue unicorn, adorned with neither hat nor cape and instead of a stage stood atop of an empty turnip crate. In front of it sat a bowl empty but for a few spare Bits.

To her everlasting shame, Trixie was reduced to performing a few sideshow parlor tricks in order to try to restart her flagging career. She waved her hooves dramatically in a way that used to thrill the crowds…at least, until Ponyville.

She had lost everything: her trademark hat and cape, her home, stage and primary mode of transportation, her reputation and her self-respect. Trixie’s horned glowed as she conjured up some spinning fireworks and crackling rockets. She was so tired that the display came off less awe inspiring and more pathetic. Snickers arose at the pitiful performance. Trixie hung her head.

Then from someplace above and behind her came a sudden fwoosh and a bright rainbow that arced over Trixie’s makeshift stage and soared across the sky. Ponies oohed and awed as the rainbow soared upwards again, thinking it was part of the show. Trixie beamed, her grin forced. Would the pony responsible for this come down and take the credit? Would she or he expose Trixie as a fraud and ruin her again? And why did this look so familiar? The rainbow twirled upwards in a shrinking spiral and it ended with a bright white flash.

The audience stomped their hooves and cheered wildly. “TRIX-IE! TRIX-IE!” The Bits started to drop into the bowl until it was overflowing. Trixie felt her eyes tear up. At last!

She delighted in the cheers and adulation of the crowd until the audience finally faded away. Trixie carefully carried her bowl full of bits back to the tiny shack she had rented till she got back on her hooves. She was just about to walk through the door when a blue blur interposed itself between her and the shack. “Hello, Trixie.”

The cold tone was so icy Trixie literally felt a chill run up her spine. She raised her head and looked into a pair of fuchsia eyes attached to a blue frowning face. “T-trixie remembers you!” She blurted out. “You’re that pegasus from Ponyville!”

“The name’s Rainbow Dash. Remember it.” Rainbow snorted. “I’d say that I hope you appreciate what I did back there, but I know you wouldn’t.”

“You did that…?” Trixie was understandably confused. The last she recalled the cyan pegasus hated her guts.

“That’s not why I came.” Rainbow cut her off coolly. “I came here to give you something.”

Trixie looked around but there was nopony nearby to help. Her magic wasn’t meant to be used in a fight! And she was so tired that she didn’t think she could levitate much more than a feather by this point. “P-please, don’t-! Trixie is—I mean, *I’m* sorry I humiliated you and your friends! Please don’t hurt me!” She crouched down and closed her eyes, covering her head with her hooves. Trixie trembled as she felt something soft gently fall on her back and something else cover her head. She poked one eye open. Then she looked back at herself and her jaw dropped open.

“My hat! My cape!” Trixie practically squealed as she hugged her belongings back to her. She looked back to Rainbow Dash. “Thank you thank you thank you! But why…?”

Rainbow Dash looked hard at Trixie and sighed. “Because…because nopony deserves to be humiliated and reduced to this. You come *close,* but…” she snorted then her voice softened again. “And because I might’ve become like you. Do yourself a favor. Go make some friends. Not fans, friends. You’ll be glad you did.” Rainbow flapped her wings and started to gain some altitude.

With her old outfit back and Rainbow Dash putting some much needed distance between them, Trixie felt a measure of her old arrogance and haughtiness coming back. “The Great and Powerful Trixie has no need for friends, or advice from some brutish pegasus.”

Rainbow Dash turned around, ignoring her. “There’s a griffon hanging around the outskirts of Hoofington. Go look her up. I know she could use a friend too.” Rainbow Dash flew away and didn’t look back.

THE END

“Um, gee, I dunno about this Pinkie Pie…”

“C’mon Fluttershy it’ll be fun! Do you have that Poison Joke?”

“…yes.”

“Well! Take a sniff and then let’s get cracking!”

“Oh, okay…” SNIFF! “WELL, DID IT WORK?”

“Heeheee! Sure did Flutterguy! Now then! And a one and a two and a one, two, three!”

“AHEM…MAHNA MAHNA!”

“Do doo be-do-do!”

“MAHNA MAHNA!”

“Do do-do do!”

“MAHNA MAHNA!”

“Do doo be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do be-do-do-doodle do do do-doo do!”

“…..MAHNA MAHNA!”


Author’s Notes:
Borrowed concepts and characters:
-The bullies Sticks and Stones are from “Ditzy Doo's Dismally Derpy Day” by CLAVDIVS CAESAR
-Ditzy Doo’s full name being Ditzabeth Eleanor Doo and the idea of her and Dinky living with Carrot Top comes from “Life with Derpy” by RadRoss
-Ditzy saying Kaloo kalay is a reference to “Knights of Equestria” by Solaris90
-Rainbow Dash being a bad cook is a reference to any number of fics, including “Worst Bakers in Equestria”
-Rainbow’s full name being Rainbow Miriam Dash comes from the stories by Bobcat
-The incident I mentioned where Zecora fixed Rainbow Dash during a storm in the Everfree Forest is a reference to “No Tame Forest” by PhantomFox
-The reference to Zecora’s homeland is from “The Education of Zecora” by Demetrius
-Twilight’s perspective on the expectations of her comes from Bookish Delight called “Twilight Switch”
-The songs “Life’s A Happy Song,” “Rainbow Connection,” “It’s Not Easy Being Green,” and “Mahna Mahna” are copyrighted to the Muppets and Jim Henson
-My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is copyrighted to Lauren Faust and Hasbro.

Special thanks to all my readers and reviewers and a super special thanks to Buttersc0tch Sundae, Bookish Delight, Solaris90, and SoundofRainfall for their words of advice, their suggestions and their patience. And to all you Bronies and Pegasisters out there, thanks! And to Lauren Faust and the crew who give us My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, there aren’t enough thanks in the universe! You rock!

Comments ( 43 )

loved it very well done sorry to see it end but hay it was good wilst it lasted:heart:congrats to you my fello bronie:twilightsmile:

amazing, good job :heart:

#3 · Dec 22nd, 2011 · · ·

Spectacular fic; I enjoyed every chapter.
Thank you for the excellent read! I loved seeing this deeper side of Dash.

No lesbianism? I am diappoint :trixieshiftright:

Seriously, but I'm going to read anyhow :twilightblush:

Additionally... I smell Gildixie on the horizon. This pleases Photo Finish. :coolphoto:

"She had come to learn the difference between when Rainbow Dash was pretending to be dumb just to get ponies off their guard, pretending to be dumb because she was too lazy or impatient to think and wanted somepony else to do it for her, when she was pretending to be outrageously dumb to hide the fact that she actually didn't understand what was going on, and really being genuinely dumb."

So...Rainbow Dash is Zaphod Beeblebrox from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? :rainbowlaugh:

This is a great story- you've done a really good job with characterization, and the plot is interesting and well-executed. I love it!

94011

Heh, I was wondering when someone would catch that! Honestly, though I think it fits Rainbow Dash and a lot of people in real life who aren't dumb but just for one reason or another do not, will not or can not think things out.

But if anypony is Zaphod Beeblebrox...it's probably Pinkie Pie. =P

Thanks for reviewing!

91218

Words Rainbow Dash lives by.

91218

Words Rainbow Dash lives by.

91218

Words Rainbow Dash lives by.

80965

Oh, come on.
[pause]
I said come on. :duck:

Thanks!

80965

Oh, come on.
[pause]
I said come on. :duck:

Thanks!

84325

Dinky cuteness is required as part of your daily supplement.

84393

Fluttershy's a sweetheart and a gem. :heart:

138794

Heh, it just seemed like a Pinkie line!

138918

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it. I look forward to future works from you as well.

Of course my favorite character would appear! HER::trixieshiftleft:
The entire conflict of the fic is directly proportional to something betwee these two: :trixieshiftleft: and :rainbowwild:
Not having her in the epilogue would be CRIMINAL!!
You sir, get a MEDAL! :heart::pinkiehappy::heart:

472049

Aww, thanks. I kinda wanted to draw the parallel between Rainbow Dash and Trixie.They both have their pride and it clearly matters to them, even to an excessive degree. I also wanted to highlight the differences: Rainbow Dash has friends that she feels deeply loyal to and they to her. Trixie doesn't and so in the end, end up with nothing. Trixie is what Rainbow Dash could've been, I think sometimes, save for her core character of loyalty and bravery.

Well, that was an incredibly entertaining and enjoyable read. This fic, a few consecutive cups of hot cocoa with marshmallows and a warm blanket were all I needed to wear the evening away!

Your characterizations were spot on, and even when you threw more obscure characters into the mix the result was as believable and natural as an actual episode. You obviously have a very rich and creative imagination - I couldn't have come up with half the punny pony place-names you did, for example! Humorous situations abounded, too - you truly seem to have a knack for, really, pretty much sticking some of these awesome characters into a room together and just letting them interact and play off each other, letting the story practically write itself. (Not to downplay the effort you no doubt put into writing these scenes, mind you!)

I admit that I had trouble accepting the starting premise for this aesop, though - Rainbow's angst over such a minor incident, and the way it haunted her, seemed a bit blown out of proportions. But you totally ran with it and turned it into a compelling and believable, episode-worthy tale of friendship anyway. Some of my favorite bits were actually Rarity's dramatic speech - really letting her shine - and Celestia's imparted wisdom at the end, particularly the way that tied it all in to the so-called Cutie Mark Failure Insanity Syndrome all the other Elements have suffered from. That really convincingly grounded it in the ponyverse as we know it, for me.

There wasn't really anything that bothered me stylistically, except for one thing: dialogue attribution. You tend to always end a spoken sentence with a period, followed by a capitalized sentence to describe who was saying it. By the writing rules I'm aware of, that isn't correct. It may be nitpicking, and there may also be other conventions where this is perfectly fine, but it's something I really had to watch for in my own writing before submitting to EQD, and now I cannot unsee it. At least you were consistent about it, though, which makes me forgive you. :raritywink:

Thumbs up and <3 from me. I'll definitely give your other stories a read, now!

494208
OhmygoshOhmygoshOhmygooooosh!!!! The author of 'Morrow' read my story! And she liked it! So awesome!! :rainbowkiss:

Thanks so much for the review! Hm, I'll have to look up that rule about quotations and what not. Thanks for the tip! You rock so hard! :heart::heart:

494701

Haha, don't know why you're getting all excited, last time I checked I'm a total nobody. :twilightsheepish: But I'm flattered that my opinion matters to you. I just had some time to kill and decided to see what the kind pony-people who commented on my story had themselves created.. There's just so much great content out there, and that seemed as good a place as any to start!

About the quotation marks: I'm referring to the conventions listed near the start of EQD's Editor's Omnibus. Very handy reference, that!

494845
Hearing that an author who writes incredibly well likes your story is a pretty big deal, at least for me. I'm a huuuge (as you may have noticed) Rainbow Dash fan and I tend to draw my inspiration by other authors' portrayals of her, to supplement my own.

I do hope you find the time to read my other stories and can only hope that you enjoy them. Thanks again!

520660
It's actually a quote from Teddy Roosevelt. It just seemed like something overdramatic, if true, that it seemed like something Rarity would say.

>> Trinary

Well. You learn something new every day. And yes, it is definitely the sort of thing Rarity would come out with...

This has officially earned a spot in my favorites. 5/5 stars.

Yay! Well I can honestly say that was a wonderful read. It was my favorite type of story and really emphasized aspects of the show that make it so heartwarming (friendship, duh :derpytongue2: ) Plus, a focus on Rainbow Dash (my fave character) action, comedy, references and a double helping of Daaw. Can't beat that. Thanks for a truly excellent story :pinkiehappy:

768689

Thank you so much! I'm glad to know that I hit everything I wanted to hit with this story. I love playing with and analyzing these characters: they are just SO interesting. For more Rainbow Dash please feel free to take a look at my other stories.

Thanks again!!

1299798

Aww, thank you!

Sorry I don't have time to read this ATM, but based on comments it's gonna be good

Oh...my...God. This is...completely...without a doubt...the most...SPECTACULAR, EPIC, ROCKIN' fanfic ever!!!
Our story begins with the fragile self-esteem of a young Ms. Rainbow Dash, shattered by her unfloppable pride and self image. The mare soon learns through the help of her dear friends, and the wisdom of the Princess, that embarrassment is part of life, loyalty stems from the mare behind the Element, and self-image is only based on your opinion of yourself.
THAT, my dear, is the moral of this story.
And seriously, I haven't seen a more epic fanfic than 'Learning ABCs: Adorable, Bothersome, Chaotic.' A very good summer read, I might add.
You should be commended for all your blood, sweat, tears, and all of my YES into this fanfic. May you prosper, and I shall reward you with a watch.
*is breathless*
What more can I say? :rainbowkiss:

1515648

Agreed. I *HATED* that episode. It's the only one I absolutely refuse to re-watch.

It's really sad that it took me so long to find this fic, especially since i read all your other stories...:derpytongue2:. Great pacing, everypony is acting like themselves and Spike is a real bro as always :moustache:.
The whole story feels like an actual episode with a bit bumped up pg rating and i loved it to pieces. The only part that bugged me is Celestia getting all preachy but then again i might just be allergic to preaching in all forms and sizes. :trollestia:

Thanks for writing this little piece. :eeyup:

You know the phrase "kaloo kalay" was coined by Lewis Carrol in "Alices Adventures in Wonderland" right? Read the poem Jabberwocky sometime. :twilightsmile:

One of your best.

Daaaw :heart: This story is so awesome :rainbowkiss:!

I have to confess, when I first saw this book I tried to sty away from it because after my little dashie, I really dint want to check it out. But then I gave it a chance and it. Was. AWESOME!!!:rainbowkiss::raritystarry::rainbowkiss:

A very solid story all around. I could seriously recommend this to anyone who really need help understanding Rainbow Dash as a character. It started out as a bit angsty for my tastes, but Dash does have those brittle confidence issues. Characterization was very good. The plot did what it needed to for the purpose of this story. I really liked some of the interpersonal moments, and the dialogue generated in those talks. This story shows a excellent understanding of the characters and it shows in its execution.

It's...over? :fluttershysad::fluttershysad:
FFFUUUUU-:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:KKKKKK!!!!!
Well it was awesome but damn, did it have to be so short?:pinkiegasp:
I know you took a long time, so I appreciate it, don't get me wrong :heart::rainbowkiss:
Sequel?:pinkiehappy:

This is what should have been instead of Rainbow Falls

Not bad of a story, good job.

This is one of the best fics I've read on this site.
It's better than multiple episodes of the actual show were. After all that, and that ending, there's just one thing left to say: Sequel please?

I've finished this story and I've got to say that you're a VERY talented author! Your characterization is spot on and I've had a couple of laughs as well as d'aaawws with this story. :twilightsmile:

Beatiful read... Professionally written too!

Login or register to comment