• Published 27th May 2016
  • 225 Views, 0 Comments

Two in the Space - Josh Crapo



How well can Air Vent adapt into a changeling society? Just give it time.

  • ...
 0
 225

Epilogue: Look Back

June 9, 2160

So, it’s been a year since Mom’s died. Today, I look at my visitor status and see if I can go to Yakyakistan today. But as it turns out, I can only go if I have a chaperon because I was accused last year as well.

Aura Draft decides to take me as my chaperon to Halma. I think of all the times Mom and I had together over the fourteen years I saw her. It’s amazing how fast time can go sometimes. I remember moving into my new house like it was yesterday.

I can’t imagine how hard it must be for Aura Draft though. She knew her well before I was born. So, if I shed a tear one by one with the memories I bring up in my head, Aura Draft should’ve burst into tears minutes ago. But all she gives is a heavy sigh. Suddenly, Aura Draft pulls me under her wing right wing and gives me a hug.

After returning home, Aura Draft takes me to the town she used to live in, Tiholena. When we get to town hall to speak with the mayor, we get clearance to visit Aura Draft’s old house. Finally, we arrive at a house that is in good shape if not for an unusual amount of plant life.

“This... is where I used to live. I’ve lived here ever since you were born. It holds too many memories for me to count. And considering how long it’s been since I lived here, it might go down a very brutal path.”

I walk up to the main entrance with Aura Draft behind me. To me, the house still looks amazing on this inside through the screen door. When I finally go inside, I hold it open for Aura Draft, but she looks hesitant to go. When she waves to me a certain way, while having tears in her eyes, I see it as a signal to close the door.

This is it. It’s time to show what I’ve learned.

“Aura Draft, it’s okay to be reluctant to go inside. When I went into my old house, so was I to be like that. But I explored the house anyway, no matter what shape the house was in. It hit the hardest when I saw my stuff pretty much where I left it when I moved, but I went in there anyway.”

So, Aura Draft steps towards the door rather slowly, then reaches her hoof to me.

As we get further inside, Aura Draft starts crying into my left shoulder, and I take it all. I deserve it all after the lengths she went through to make sure I made it out fine, but it’s the right thing to do.

As we explore, the first room to come across is probably what used to be the kitchen. The counters are still there along with the cabinets. But everything else in the room is gone.

Taking a right, I see open space in the hall on the left, an empty room straight ahead and what used to be the bathroom on the right. Just like the former kitchen, the counter is still there, but everything else is gone. With an unusual abundance of darkness in the bathroom, I feel like flipping the light switch, and... it’s a bust.

Aura Draft stops and takes a look at the former bathroom. After looking at it, she hugs me again and continues resting on my shoulder.

Taking the left path, I come across the one room with anything more than counters. In the empty living room is a lone calendar.

“Aura Draft?”

Aura Draft stands up away from my shoulder.

“Yes?”

“Is that calendar for 2144?”

“Yes. But we better leave it alone. Neither of us know where it’s been, so...”

“I take it that Equestria used to exist before that year?”

“Yes.”

I look about the empty room.

“Small one, isn’t it?”

“Mhm.”

“Well, now that we’re finished with exploring your house, I should probably show you how my old house turned out.”

“Okay.”

About an hour later, we come to Queen Shell’s home and get permission to go to my old house.

When we arrive, there’s the colorfully painted house that lacks any windows or doors.

“Whoa. What happened to your old house?”

“Time. I noticed changelings might have walked around and wrote on the best portions of the walls.”

“But what about the windows and your front door?”

“They’re still there, just not where they’re supposed to be. In fact, you could still see where they used to go. But I don’t want to stay in there too long, or else I’ll get an asthma attack like I did when I last visited.”

“Okay.”

Hovering over the remains of the house, I lead Aura Draft up to my bedroom. There they all are, everything that I have left in the house is still there even after a year. The only difference between this year and last year when I visited is that the entirety of the second floor has sunk as opposed to depressions in the floors. I barely shed a tear looking into my room and give a heavy sigh.

Suddenly, I start to cough slightly, signifying that I should go.

“I have to get out of here, Aura Draft. Not to do anything with the house, but my asthma’s kicking in.”

“I understand.”

“Are you coming with me?”

“Eh, why not?”

So, afterwards, I feel like taking a rest in bed while Aura Draft goes out for supper. I guess I’m the first changeling that ever helped a pony out with their past. And they said changelings had a bad reputation.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment