• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 1,001 Views, 27 Comments

Cobalt Rising. - Cpt_Cutter



Cobalt cant remember anything from his past, but can he remember in time to save us all?

  • ...
3
 27
 1,001

Chapter 4: Origins

Chapter 4.

Origins.

Princess Celestia led us down a long corridor full of ornate windows and paintings. Twilight was walking (or more accurately hobbling) alongside the princess and they were deep in conversation, so I thought that it would be best to leave them alone for now.

I pulled back slightly and instead walked alongside Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Spike. They spent a little while talking to me about what it was like not remembering my past. For obvious reasons I didn’t have much to tell them.

The conversation swung toward their childhoods, both of which I found very interesting. “So you’re telling me that you were born from an egg that Twilight hatched?” I asked questioningly.
Rainbow leaned in close “Don’t forget that she only had the power to do it because of my Sonic Rainboom”.

“Wow” I said, stroking my mane.
“What about you Rainbow?” I asked.
“Not much to tell. I grew up in Cloudsdale with my mother and father. My dad was a royal guard here, but got a position in the E.A.F a few years back, now he works in Cloudsdale”. I was intrigued, “The E.A.F??”
“It stands for the Equestrian Armed Forces. He’s a General, so he doesn’t get much time off”.
“But who would want to be Equestria’s Enemies?”
I was surprised at how much rainbow knew about the politics of the region.

“There’s the Zebrans to the south, which is quite a desert-y region, that mainly export raw materials like iron and stone. It occupies about a third of the continent”.

“Then you’ve got the Trojans to the east, which is a combination of snowy mountains and jungles. They primarily export food, textiles and such. There are also a group of countries across the western ocean that are where most of our colonies are”.

“The north is where the Unicorns, Pegasi and Earth Ponies originally came from. It’s basically abandoned now, part out of respect and part out of there are so many mountains that there isn’t enough flat and non-snow covered land to set up a town.”
Even Spike looked surprised at Rainbow’s knowledge.
“Why did the three groups leave?” I asked.
“Long story, maybe if you stay round long enough I’ll tell you”. She said with a wink.

The prospect of any further conversation was cut short when Princess Celestia stopped at a large ornate door, covered in signs saying “PRIVATE” and “OFF LIMITS WITHOUT ROYAL ESCORT”. It really wasn’t encouraging. The Princess turned toward me and spoke up: “You may have heard the prophecy that Twilight spoke. But what you didn’t hear the story of who spoke it.”
I asked “Who??”
“All in good time my dear, now follow me” Princess Celestia said.

The corridor was short, but the stairs at the end of it weren’t. Like the corridor, there were bare white walls, and a deep red carpet. Unlike the first corridor however, there were no windows which made the place feel very cold. At the end of the long downward staircase was a room truly massive in size. It would have easily been long enough to house a train and high enough for faint wisps of cloud to form, which gave me a headache to stare at. Around the walls were 7 great stain glass murals, each depicting an Alicorn in a different pose. I could see one who was bucking apples, and another who was flying through a cloud.

There was another Mural in a corner, which looked almost ignored, depicting an animal that was more of a mix of everything, with the head of a dragon. It was standing on a pink cloud, which was pouring brown rain. It puzzled me, but no more than anything else in the room, so I didn’t pay it much attention. If only I had.

The princess turned to us and said “Alicorns are a very rare race, which makes Cobalt’s case all the more strange. Outside of my own family, there are less than fifteen alicorns alive, with none being anywhere near your age.”

Seeing that I was disheartened by this, she said “Maybe it would be better for me to explain how all types of ponies came to be. For a long time, there were only eight ponies in existence. They were the original gods, and are remembered today in these murals.” She beckoned to the walls around her.

“But there was always the force of chaos and evil pushing against the force of balance and order. That force was Discord. He was deceitful and cruel to the creatures that he created. As punishment for his evil, the seven remaining gods used all their power to split his being into five parts”.

“The first part, his strength, became the first Earth Ponies”. She said while motioning towards Pinkie Pie.

“The second part, his heart, became the first Pegasi”. She waved a hoof at Rainbow Dash.

“The third part, his magic, became the first unicorn”. She smiled at Twilight, who warmly returned it.

“What about the dragons?” Spike asked impatiently. “As I was saying; the fourth part, his greed and evil, became the first dragon”.

“But, as they couldn’t destroy him entirely, the fifth part became what he is now; an abomination. A mixture of all the animals he cruelly destroyed and tortured”.

“From that point on, it was declared that the gods would allow the newly created ponies to rule themselves, and the gods would retreat from the world. The Prophecy was the last thing that any pony heard from them, even to this date, over a thousand years later. When the three pony kingdoms and merged into one, after the great migration, myself and my sister were born. We were a gift from the gods, who saw how close we had been to destroying ourselves. We were chosen to lead Equestria into a golden age of peace.”.

“But alas, discord rose up again to try to regain his form buy destroying all ponies and regaining the three parts of his soul. He failed, and was cast back to oblivion, for a time. His final act was an act of vengeance. He awoke Raventek, the original dragon and his aspect of greed and evil, which set its sights on my sister. It infected her with jealousy and made her into the Evil Nightmare moon. And that is all I have to tell you, my children, for you know the rest”.

My head was swimming. I was certain that Nightmare Moon was what was written on the statue, just outside of town. I asked, almost afraid, “Princess, what is the name of your sister?”

She looked at me with a pained expression, like she knew that what she was about to say would affect me greatly. “My sister’s name, Cobalt, was Luna”.


**********************

The word ignited another flicker of memory within me, like the others had, except this one was much more powerful. It even came with words. I heard in my head a familiar female voice saying urgently: “Remember Cobalt, whatever you do, don’t let them return”.

I said to the princess knowingly: “That wasn’t all, was it? There was something else, something important”.
Celestia didn’t look surprised at my outburst, merely amused. “Yes Cobalt, there was something else. And yes it is important, but I believe that what is the point of doing the test if you know the answers?” And with that, she turned and walked back toward the staircase. As she reached the bottom step, she turned and said “I will however, give you a hint. There were many palaces in Equestria before this one”.

Rainbow looked like she had reached the end of her rope. “NO. I’ve had it. Today I’ve been crushed, dragged, confused and surprised and now you won’t even help us? What did we even come for!?”
The princess didn’t turn back.

I walked over to the biggest mural, on the far wall. It was of a beige pony, standing in a desert with a mountain range covered in snow in the background. His Cutie Mark was an Hour hand and a Minute hand, like you would find on a clock. I thought ‘One way or another, I'm getting answers from you’. I smiled on the inside, but tried to keep a poker face on the outside.

I glanced over at the group, and saw that Spike and Pinkie Pie were trying to stop Rainbow from walking to the princess and beating an answer out of her. I couldn’t see Twilight, and figured she had left until I heard somepony clearing their throat behind me.

I turned and saw she was standing less than a meter from me. ‘She’s quiet, I’ll give her that’ I thought. She looked up at the Mural and read from the golden inscription along the bottom. “Tempus... What’s so interesting about him?”

I thought hard for a few seconds before answering “Nothing. Nothing at all”.

She looked relieved “Good, because I have a few ideas about what Princess Celestia meant about palaces”.