• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 1,002 Views, 27 Comments

Cobalt Rising. - Cpt_Cutter



Cobalt cant remember anything from his past, but can he remember in time to save us all?

  • ...
3
 27
 1,002

Chapter 2: An Awkward Meeting

Chapter 2

An awkward meeting.

“What are you talking about?” Twilight said. She had opened her eyes fully now, surprised by the accusation.
“I’d rather not tell you my situation standing on your front porch” I said.
I had expected this to be difficult, but that came hand in hand with trying to convince someone that they are the key to your past. “Oh yes come in, come in. Spike!?”

There was no reply. Twilight shrugged and said “He must be out”. She motioned for me to follow her over to a couch in an alcove of a room full of books. ‘Well it is a library’ I thought. She sat, and motioned for me too as well. She looked at me blankly and said “Now what was it you were saying about your life?”

I then proceeded to explain my past, or what I remembered of it. She waited for a few seconds after I had finished, as if she was digesting what I had said. “That sure is odd. Did The Mystery colt give a name?”
“No” I replied.
“I’ll see what I can dig up from the library. You said his Cutie mark was a Clock face with only the hands right?” She said standing and walking toward a bookshelf.
“That I did”.

This Filly was amazing. Her voice was soothing and her coat was a beautiful colour. She started to magically pull books of the shelf and started leafing through them muttering “no” “wrong” and “That can’t be right...” There was a knock at the door. She looked up, frustrated, and said “Oh what now?!” I could tell she wanted to concentrate on searching so I said “I’ll get it, I'm not doing anything anyhow”.

I walked downstairs and opened the door with magic from about 5 foot away. I was pleased that I could still use magic, and that I still knew how to manipulate complex things, like tumblers in a door lock. Standing in the open doorway were two ponies.

The first was a cyan Pegasus with a rainbow mane and a spunky hairdo. The second was light pink, with a darker pink mane. She was smiling so widely that it almost scared me. The first pony however, was almost frowning, but she had a look in her eye that screamed ‘I know what I'm doing, leave me to it.’

The pink pony burst into the room and said “Hi what’s your name? Mines Pinkie Pie wana be friends? Wana? Wana? Wana? Wana? Wana?”
I stepped back as she jumped into the room, and started bouncing in a circle around me.
The other mare said quietly “Jeez Pinkie, calm down. Wait, who are you? Where are Twi and spike?”

Pinkie Pie suddenly stopped bouncing and said “Hey, yeah, what did you do to Twilight?” She stepped close to me, suddenly very serious. “N-Nothing, I haven’t done anything to them. Twilights helping me research something. She’s upstairs.”

I pointed up the staircase to where she could still be heard muttering, to reinforce my point. Pinkie Pie flipped her personality 180ᵒ again, casually bouncing up the staircase, even though she should have tripped a hundred times.

The rainbow maned pony only now entered the building and stuck out a hoof. I shook and said “My names Cobalt”. She glanced at my mane and said “I'm Rainbow Dash”. She looked at my wings and said “How well can you fly?”
I looked unsurely down at them and extended them fully.

They were each about a meter long, with the feathers fading to black at the tips. I hadn’t tried to fly since I lost my memory, and I had no idea if I had flown before. I responded uncertainly “I'm not sure how well, if at all.”
Rainbow looked confused. “How can you not know if you have flown before?”
I responded “Easy. I can’t remember anything past about 3 hours ago.”
Rainbow looked visibly shocked. “What?!? What happened?”
I tried to keep a straight face when I said “I don’t know what happened, that’s the point.”
Her expression softened, and she giggled, “Yeah, I guess I should have thought of that.”

From the top of the staircase I saw the shadow of twilight, and heard her say “Aaaargg. There’s nothing in this library on anypony with any markings that you described, or any mention of you, Cobalt”. She saw the disheartened look on my face and quickly said “But that doesn’t mean that all hope is lost, you were given my name for a reason after all. I know what to do. We’re going to see princess Celestia”.

**********************

It took less than half an hour for Rainbow to find spike and convince him to fill the massive, bright pink hot air balloon. He was originally hostile to the idea of me accompanying the group to canterlot (wherever that was), but he warmed to it when he realised that in my current state, I was no threat.

The balloon lifted off with a dull pop from the burner, and was swiftly taken by the wind. Rainbow, as I discovered, was a keen flyer and flew alongside the balloon, lazily performing loops and summersaults in mid air. She was constantly asking (or more accurately, begging) me to try to fly.
I looked over the side of the balloon and saw the clouds pass below us. “I don’t know Rainbow, that's pretty far”.
Rainbow smiled cockily “What’s wrong? Chicken? It’s not that far, only a few kilometres. I’ll try to catch you if you fall”. It was the ‘Try’ that had me worried.

“Do I have to?” I asked.
Rainbow was enjoying this. I could tell. “Well you could, or I could grab you and drop you off of the side”. I grimaced.

Twilight and Pinkie, who had previously been in a conversation with Spike on the other side of the basket, walked over. Twilight said “Well whatever you do Cobalt, Try not to die. This will have been an awful waste of time otherwise”. She laughed, to show she was joking.

I laughed sarcastically, before asking, almost to myself “What could possibly go wrong?” I put both front hooves on the side of the basket and prepared to jump. As I did so I heard Spike say “Famous last words”. I turned, smiled and propelled myself off the side of the balloon.

Flying wasn’t that hard, when you get over the falling part I mean. As it turns out, the falling part was what scared me the most. I was tumbling downward through the sky at an incredible speed when time seemed to slow. Not by much, but enough to see detail on the clouds before I passed through them, or to see detail on a passing bird. I heard a voice in my head, which I thought was Rainbow Dash. It simply said: "These might help".

And with that, a cluster of memories flooded back. Not anything important, just ones directly related to flying. A flash of colour, a starry sky, the sound of wings beating, those kinds of things. I expertly pulled out of the dive, and used the momentum to carry me upwards, leaving a following Rainbow maned mare in the cloud-dust.

I originally overshot the basket, barely missing the balloon. I landed on my second pass, nearly knocking Spike out the other side. Twilight turned to me and started to congratulate me on my flying, but I could tell she saw the wild look in my eyes. “What happened?” she asked. “I don’t know. I was just falling then a voice said something in my head, then I knew how to fly.”
She looked shocked. Pinkie was silent. “What do you mean, knew how to fly? Like old memories or something else?” Twilight asked, getting more alarmed by the second.

“Old memories”. I was pumping with adrenaline.
“Oh, well we’re on approach to canterlot now, so I can get a doctor to have a look at you soon”.

I wasn’t finished. “Twilight”. I spun her around to look at me.
“The voice... It was the mystery colt.”