• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 1,001 Views, 27 Comments

Cobalt Rising. - Cpt_Cutter



Cobalt cant remember anything from his past, but can he remember in time to save us all?

  • ...
3
 27
 1,001

Chapter 3: An Accident, A Cold Shoulder and A Poem

Chapter 3
An accident, A Cold Shoulder and a Poem.

I have to hand it to them, the Canterlot ground crew; they knew how to keep calm under pressure.
I was freaking out from the voice in my head and as a result couldn’t control my magic.
I absentmindedly fired a beam clean through a wall into a market, destroying several things in a crash. It was a miracle I didn’t blow the balloon up. Pinkie was surprisingly not freaking out; she was just standing still, looking at us like we were dumb.

Twilight and Spike on the other hand weren't calm. “CALM DOWN, COBALT!” she screamed as the balloon swiftly glided towards the ground. With Spike now cowering in a corner, and not at the tiller, it was near out of control. However, thanks to Rainbow Dash's efforts underneath the craft, we weren’t plummeting to our deaths. Yet.

The ground crew swiftly flew up to meet us and stated to grab the balloon to guide it to a cleared landing pad. But fate had other plans, sending a stray beam of magic straight through a corner rope holding up the bucket. This imbalance caused Rainbows upward force to push up this new area of structural weakness. Short version? We were dumped from Three meters up onto cold hard concrete.

I landed heavily, getting winded from the impact and getting whiplash from trying to not smack my head. I sat up and saw that the medical unicorns and earth ponies were taking care of rainbow and one of the flight crew. Rainbow had been in the unfortunate position of being under the basket when the remainder of the lines had snapped, pushing her down. From what I could see of her, she looked fine, and I could distinctly hear her voice saying: “Get me out from under here. It’s heavy”.
Pinkie had somehow land on her hooves, and had also somehow managed to catch Spike on her back.

I thought ‘There’s something odd with that pony...’. I noticed Twilight also seemed to be fine, but the medics were crowding around her back right hoof. I approached her carefully, not sure if she blamed me for the crash (Which I would have been fine with) or what. She was looking at the crowd with an angry look in her eyes, and when she turned toward me the anger was still there. It faded instantly, being replaced with a warm happy look. She said “I don’t blame you, don’t worry. It was an accident.”

Even though she had said that, I still felt horrible for doing what I had done. Pinkie walked over and let Spike drop from her back. He looked at me coldly and helped twilight to her hooves, shooing away the medics. She looked fine, and she could walk ok, even with the splint. She said “Let’s go, were going to be late”.

*************************

Twilight and Spike ushered me down a street so fast, I barely saw anything other than a few colts staring curiously at a massive scorched hole on the wall. Whoops. At the rate we were travelling, it took less than ten minutes to arrive at the castle gates.

We were met by a tall, white unicorn with a blue mane, darker than mine. He was wearing golden armour and helmet. I knew he must have been important from the way the gate guards looked at him.

He looked at her hoof and said “Twilie! Are you ok? I heard about what happened”.
She walked up to him and hugged him. “I'm fine Shining Armour, really, it’s only a strain”.
He said
“All the same, you should be more careful”.
I took a step forwards and said “It was my fault really; I wasn’t in control of my magic”.
He looked at me and was obviously surprised. He seemed to struggle with words for a second, before he stormed at me, and I backed up. “I don’t care who you are, you don’t ever hurt my sister. Got it?”
I nodded.


He relaxed a little, and then said formally “State your name and business at the royal castle of Canterlot”.
I looked uneasily at twilight “Didn’t you have appointment?”
Shining Armour said smugly “She does, you don’t.”
Twilight spoke up. “Actually, the appointment was for five”.
“It didn’t include ‘Archroyals’”. He replies, getting annoyed that his sister was defending me.
I chimed in “What are ‘Archroyals’?”

Twilight, without taking her eyes off her brother and giving him a stern stare, said in reply “An ‘Archroyal’ is an Alicorn who is not aware if they are royalty. It is usually used for natural Alicorns, which are very rare, even with a unicorn and a Pegasus parent. That's because the cells usually take a side, unicorn or Pegasus, rather than both.”
Shining Armour returned his sisters gaze and gritted his teeth. He added “They are a security threat because they have more powerful magic than unicorns, but have less control of it than the princesses.”
Desperate not to cause a feud between them, I said quickly “If Twilight is with me and I get out of control again, then I can just get her to calm me down.”
I could tell Shining Armour sensed what I was trying to do. “Very well” he grumbled.
The guards opened the gates and we walked inside.

As we walked down the garden path Twilight pulled me aside and said quietly “I'm sorry for that”.
I smiled sincerely. “Its fine, he was just being protective, I would have expected it from anyone”.
Twilight still looked unsure “Are you sure? It didn’t bother you?”
I said simply “It bothered me, but I’ll deal with it. I have bigger problems anyway”. With that we walked along to the others, who had waited, and into the castle.

We walked slowly to a room with the far door barred by guards. The four of us waited as Twilight walked up to a guard and spoke quietly. When she returned she said “The princess will be a few minutes late unfortunately”. I had been absentmindedly staring at a massive stain glass window on the far wall. It had writing on it in the centre, but I couldn’t read it over the distance. Twilight saw me looking and started saying in a sing-song voice:

“When darkness wages war
The evening skies will soar
The day will retreat
Grovelling at the feet
Of the horrible nightmare moon”

“The sun will cease
The dawn will fail
The moon will rule the day
The stars will rise
The sun will stop
The moon will rule the day”

“The sun will fall
To doom the land
And the dark will control the sand”

{{Authors note. Yes I know its bad rhyming, no I don’t care. Asking me to rhyme is like asking a paraplegic to ride a unicycle.}}

I stare at her for a few seconds before looking around the room. Everypony was staring: Pinkie, Rainbow, Spike, The guards and even a large white pony with a billowing rainbow mane and a crown. “Sorry” Twilight said, “I must have read that a thousand times when I lived here”. She too looked around as the large white pony, who I had guessed must have been the princess Celestia, said “My faithful student, that was beautiful”.

She spoke with a calm and endearing voice. It sounded regal, yet caring, telling you your place in a nice way. Twilight jumped and ran to her. She hugged her and said “Princess, it’s so nice to see you”.
“It is nice to see you too, my faithful student. Now, who is this” she said, while motioning towards me.

I said timidly “My name is Cobalt, princess.”
“You don’t have to be so formal, Celestia is fine” The princess said kindly. Once Twilight had explained the circumstances of our visit, Princess Celestia said: “Follow me to the hall of knowledge, where I may be able to help.”