• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 1,001 Views, 27 Comments

Cobalt Rising. - Cpt_Cutter



Cobalt cant remember anything from his past, but can he remember in time to save us all?

  • ...
3
 27
 1,001

Chapter 1: Cobalt dawn.

Chapter 1
A Cobalt Dawn

I awoke on a bed of tall, light yellow grass in the middle of a small forest clearing, at the foot of a massive stone statue. The sun was just rising over a far range of mountains. I slowly got to my hooves and looked up at the statue. It was of a mare, of about 7 foot tall, wearing ornate armour and taking a pose with her right front leg raised in the air.

She had both a horn and wings. It had an inscription on the base, but it was covered in vines all I could read was
“ghtmare oon”

I Looked down at myself and saw that I had a dark purple coat, which matched my wings, which I flexed experimentally. I could feel my magic bubbling around my horn. Looking at the frightening statue somehow filled me with happy memories, and warmth. That confused me, but I realised I had bigger problems.

While I Was filled with feeling from looking at the statue, they had nowhere to go, because I couldn’t remember anything.
It wasn’t just like an “Oh I was drunk last night, how did I get here” moment, I couldn’t remember where I lived, how I had arrived where I was or even how old I was. Oh gods, how old am I? I Looked down at my hooves and patted my face, relieved to find that I couldn’t feel any wrinkles.

I strained to remember anything about my past, and was rewarded for my efforts. I remembered only four words. The first was Cobalt. It puzzled me for a time, before I felt my mane brush against my neck.
A quick look confirmed my thoughts. It was bright cobalt and seemed to flicker as if it was burning with blue flame. ‘Well I guess that’s what my name is’ I thought solemnly.

Of the other three words that I remembered one was obviously a town: Ponyville. It sounded familiar. The Final Two words were obviously a name. They also sounded like they belonged to someone important. They were simply: Twilight Sparkle.
I was ready and prepared to set out from the statue to find someone’s help. My only main (recent) problem was that I had no idea which direction to go in. As I wandered the clearing blindly, trying to find a clue to which direction to wander when I heard somepony approach through the bush.

I turned and saw two ponies walk around the statue and turn toward me. Neither seemed surprised to see me. The first seemed oddly familiar, he was pure beige, with a mane and tail that matched his coat and seemed to flow infinitely his cutie mark was an hour hand and a minute hand, like on a clock, but without any numbers. This reminded me, and I looked at my own flank and saw that it was blank. ‘No help There’ I thought and turned my attention back to the two newcomers.

The second pony wore a dark green cloak and had a black and white line pattern on her side. When she spoke, it was with a soothing deep tone. “Who is this newcomer?”

The beige pony spoke with a regal tone, as if he had seen a thousand years of life, and had a respect for it. “Now Zecora, That is something that he must learn for himself. You should best not tamper with destiny”.
I said to both of them “Wait, do you know me? Were you the ones who took my memories?”

“We had no part in your loss, Dark one” Zecora said.
I looked at them, and after seeing no hint of dishonesty in their eyes, decided to believe them “Can you help me? I need to get to a place called Ponyville?”
Zecora smiled “You are in luck Dark one, for we are near to the place you seek”.
I smiled in return “Can you take me?”
“I Can, Dark one”
“Why do you keep calling me Dark one?”

Zecora looked at me, as if she was looking into my soul. “My master would not enjoy me telling you the answer to that, as he said, It Is Wise to not tamper with destiny”.
“You mean him?” I said as I looked back toward the statue. The Beige pony was gone.
“Where did he...”I asked, confused.

“He works in mysterious ways, and doesn’t stay in one place for long”
I took this with a grain of salt, because, when I considered what was happening with me at the time this didn’t seem too weird.

I followed Zecora out of the clearing and into the jungle. We trekked for about 20 minutes before she froze at the edge of the forest. We were on a hill at the edge of a large valley with a road nearby. She said “I cannot go further, but the place you seek is not far”. She raised her hoof in the direction of the centre of the valley. “That is the way you must go.”
“Thank you” I replied

As I turned away and took a step, she put a hoof on my shoulder. “I cannot see the past, but I can see the future. Yours does not bode well, but promise me that when my master calls, you will answer, Even if it means falling away from all you love”.

This puzzled me even more than I already was. “Wait, can’t you just tell me what will happen to me?
She smiled kindly, like she was smiling at somepony who was a cancer patient. “Where’s the fun in that?” With that, she burst into a magical plume of smoke.
‘Well that was bloody useless’ I thought to myself and slowly walked down the road.

After about half an hour of stumbling along through the dust, I came across an orchard called Sweet Apple Acres. I looked over the fence and saw an orange Filly wearing a cowboy bucking a tree. It puzzled me, until I saw a bunch of apples fall from the tree into strategically placed buckets.
She turned toward me and waved her hat. I waved in reply and continued walking toward the town.

I didn’t get far before I heard a young voice shout “Hey Mister!” I was still passing the orchard on my right and left, so I had no idea where the voice came from. I looked up and down the road and, without seeing anyone, decided to keep walking. I immediately heard the voice again saying “Wait mister, up here!” I turned and looked up at the sound, seeing a tree hut built on the branches of a hundred year old apple tree.

There were three fillies sticking their heads out of a crudely made window. One with a bow on her hair said, “Are you Royal?”
Another, that was an orange Pegasus said to the first “No Apple bloom, There aren’t any dark royal ponies besides Luna”. The word Luna gave me a shiver, like something I should know, but didn’t.

I butted in “Hello? Yeah, who are you, why would I be a royal pony and who is Luna?”
They looked at me like I was dumb. The third pony spoke. She had a white coat and a pink and purple mane. “I'm Sweetie Belle, That's Apple Bloom and that’s Scootaloo” she said while pointing to the respective ponies.

“You could have been a royal because you have a horn and wings, which nopony but the royals do. Princess Luna is the sister to Princess Celestia, Controller of the sun. Princess Luna controls the moon. Have you been living under a rock?!”
“Sortof. Can you point me to Ponyville?”
Scootaloo said “It’s that way” she said, pointing down the road.
I turned to walk off and Sweetie Belle said “Wait, You didn’t answer out question!”
“Which was?”
“Are You Royal?” They looked very keenly interested, leaning out the window to hear the answer sooner.
“No, or at least I don’t think so.”

“How can you not know” Scootaloo asked.
“I can’t remember anything about my past.”
Apple Bloom looked angry that I couldn’t give her an answer. “Then why are you going to Ponyville?”
“Because besides my name, all I can remember is the name of the town, and somepony else’s name”.
Scootaloo was now intrigued “Whose name?”
I looked at her directly and said “Twilight Sparkle”.

She Said “Oohoohoohoohooh I know her.”
“We do too”. Sweetie belle and Apple Bloom said in unison
I was elated that I didn’t have to search.” Can you take me there?”
“No, we’re too busy playing. She lives in the library.”
I thanked the three and continued down the path.

I walked into a town that seed dead. No one was on the streets, but thankfully, street signs didn’t need people to control them. I arrived at the door to the library promptly, and had a lavender pony open it with a yawn. “Yes?” she said tiredly.
“Twilight Sparkle?” I asked hopefully.
“Yes” She repeated.
“This may sound weird, but you may be the key to getting me back my life.”