• Published 13th Mar 2016
  • 7,335 Views, 4,902 Comments

Princess Twilight Sparkle's School for Fantastic Foals - kudzuhaiku



Princess Twilight Sparkle's School for Fantastic Foals is the place to go for friendship studies.

  • ...
41
 4,902
 7,335

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 107

It was almost a relief to be alone. It was the late afternoon, closer to supper than it was to lunch, and Sumac had the room to himself, save for Boomer, who was snuggling with his Princess Cadance plush toy. It was time to pick up where he had last left off—trying to figure out the secret of flight, a worthy goal if ever there was one. There had been a few attempts since his last, but getting time all alone was rare.

With his telekinesis, he raised the rug, took a deep breath, and stepped up. Getting this far was easy. He could levitate the rug and then stand on it, an action that still made no sense, it was still unknown to him how this could happen. Now, he was a bit better prepared, he had a spell that would lock his hooves onto the rug and prevent him from slipping.

It was a complex spell for any unicorn, much less a five year old. After a few attempts, Sumac realised that he needed help. He stepped off of the rug, lowered it to the floor, and began to contemplate a little risk management. What sort of trouble was he willing to get into? Quite a lot, in fact. Reaching out with his mind, it was time to try a little conjuration.

A unicorn wasn’t supposed to steal things with conjuration, but the zap apple tincture that Twilight had stored away nearby had to be for him, right? He could sense it, feel it, he wanted it. There was a powerful need for more intelligence, more magic, he needed more power. Sticking his tongue out in concentration, he tried to pull the bottle of tincture through the aether, to his location, so that he might drink it.

It was tougher than he thought and he began to wonder if perhaps Twilight had foreseen him trying get a bottle of zap apple tincture. Frustrated, he pulled harder, harder, and then, with a crackle, a glass bottle appeared. Sumac held it in his magic, and then sighed. Inside, there was no delicious, delightful tincture, no, there was just a rolled up piece of paper.

Unstoppering the glass bottle, Sumac slid the piece of paper out, unrolled it, and gave it a read.

I’m not sure how you’ve managed to be reading this, but you had better believe we’re going to have a long talk about it. Also, your mother wants you to know that she is proud of you, but that doesn’t change the fact that I am going to turn you into a toad, or possibly a stoat. Your loving aunt, Twilight.

Cringing, almost panicking, Sumac rolled up the note, stuffed it into the glass bottle, replaced the stopper, and then tried to reverse conjure it back to its previous location. It vanished after a few seconds, but he wasn’t quite sure where it went. He was going to have to check the dictionary or the encyclopedia, as he didn’t know what a stoat was. It was probably something that Fluttershy would love to hug to death.

Sighing, the colt let out everything in a huff.

He was on his own, for now. Returning his attention to the rug, he concentrated upon his own hooves, trying to make them clingy. There was a whiff of ozone, the feeling of too much pressure, a near instant headache, and then he felt the magic flowing through his hooves, which now stuck to the floor like magnets stuck to metal.

There was a tiny pain in the base of his horn when he levitated the rug again, but he managed. Sometimes, magic hurt a bit and so long as his nose wasn’t bleeding, he was fine. Eyeballing the rug, he stepped up, and then immediately went down as the rug sank down to the floor. Frustrated, the colt did the only thing he could do in this situation.

“Oh ffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuudge nuggets!”

Opening one eye, Boomer glared at Sumac while the air around him sizzled from his near profanity.

So, the rug did not float, it did not defy gravity when he tried to stand on it using a spell to make his hooves grippy. It just sank down to the ground, ruining his dreams for flight. Sumac was aware of cancellation and interference. That was how magic combat worked, some spells cancelled out one another for a variety of reasons, such as harmonic resonance or thaumaton polarisation, things he was aware of, but didn’t understand. Magical interference was a complex problem and there were unicorns that made careers for themselves trying to understand it.

After stepping off of the rug, it floated again. Sumac could only make educated assumptions at this point, and he guessed that the grip spell on his hooves was transferring to the rug, anchoring it to the ground so that he wouldn’t slip on the rug, fall down, and go boom. Scowling, the colt stared at the levitating rug and wished that he understood the complexities of magic better.

Still, this was a success, of sorts. He had no lumps on his skull and no need for more staples, or stitches. On the other hoof, if Twilight discovered the missing bottle of tincture, and she would discover it, she was Twilight Sparkle after all, Sumac realised that he might discover what a stoat was the hard way. He was certain that he could sweet talk Twilight into forgiving him now that she was his aunt, sort of.

His ears perked as he heard a click from the door, which opened without a knock, and Twinkleshine stuck her head in. “Whatcha doing?” she asked as she stood in the doorway.

“N-n-nuttin’,” Sumac stammered in reply.

Twinkleshine’s eyes narrowed. “Wow, you’re really bad at this. You want me to step back outside, close the door, come back in, and then we can try this again?”

“Maybe?” Sumac looked over at the mare, caught off guard and bewildered.

“Let’s get one thing straight, Sumac,” Twinkleshine said in a low, dangerous sounding whisper. “If you are going to be up to no good, and you are clearly up to no good, it is in my better interests to make sure that you know what you are doing and to make sure you do it better—”

“What?” Sumac whined, confused.

“Twilight wants me to protect you.” Twinkleshine let out a sniff. “While I am fine with that, I’d rather have you be able to protect yourself. Now I can smell the ozone in here, and with your garbled response, you were clearly practicing some dangerous magic. So cut the act and let’s go. Grab Boomer, we’re going to have a lesson, you little apple imp.”


Staring upwards, just like so many other ponies around him, Sumac watched the falling snow. This was no winter storm brought by pegasus ponies, no, this was a feral snowstorm that had just blown in. It was too warm to stick, but the falling snow was pretty, if perhaps a bit worrying. Sumac could hear many, many murmured mentions as well as exclamations of the word ‘windigo’ all around him.

The unscheduled snowstorm brought panic and wonder to Ponyville.

Sumac wasn’t like the other ponies around him, as he did not panic. Having grown up on the road, in the wilds, he was used to feral weather. Feral storms were a common danger. He had thought for certain that he was going to die in a forest fire caused by a feral storm. Feral snow wasn’t so different from feral rain, wind, or hail.

Even though he said nothing, Sumac found the level of panic in the ponies around him ridiculous. Had these ponies never walked the roads? Been beyond the city limits of Ponyville? Hadn’t they ventured out into the unsheltered world? When he heard Discord’s name mentioned, he snorted, feeling angry, and he turned to look at Twinkleshine, who was staring skywards.

“This scares me,” Twinkleshine admitted in a low whisper to Sumac, “and I don’t know why.”

“It’s just a wild storm.” Sumac sat down on the dead brown grass and Boomer, hanging from his horn, swiped at the falling flakes. “They happen a lot away from the cities. You get used to them.”

“Oh, I don’t think I could ever get used to them,” Twinkleshine confessed, shaking her head. “I grew up in Canterlot. Sure, we get wind and cold snaps, but the weather there is regulated. Ponyville too.” The mare shivered even though it really wasn’t cold enough to cause it. “Potentially destructive forces have to be regulated, held in check, and rogue elements have to be battled so that us little ponies don’t die. It’s like that big storm that blew in a few years ago off of the west coast and Princess Luna had to go and do battle with it.”

Not knowing why, Sumac began to feel quite isolated—apart—he felt apart, separated, he felt as if there was now a gap between him and Twinkleshine, and he hated that gap, because he liked Twinkleshine. She was scared, scared like a foal was scared of the dark, but she was The Heavy, the hard hitter, the medieval unicorn, and as The Heavy, the hard hitter, the medieval unicorn, she was supposed to be a fearless protector.

“It’ll be the end of us all, Roseluck!”

Sumac’s ears perked.

“Run! Run! Get inside, Lily!”

“Hurry, Daisy!”

The sound of clopping, clattering hooves filled Sumac’s ears as mass panic spread through the herd. For some reason, snowflakes were every bit as terrifying as a harpy attack, and Sumac sort of understood why. He grunted when Twinkleshine grabbed him and began squeezing him. At least she wasn’t running away, but she was scared, so scared. The gap widened and with it came more understanding that he was not like the others, he was different from the herd, and it was far more than just introversion, the stunning new understanding of life and living given to him by Octavia.

And it wasn’t just him—no—by extension, it was also Trixie. They were the wanderers, the roamers, they had walked the roads of Equestria, they had lived outside of society; it was only now that Sumac was beginning to understand the profound difference, and the consequences of that difference—he would never be normal. He clung to Twinkleshine’s leg, not understanding why he needed to cling to her, but the gap that now stood between them seemed impossible to cross.

Even as he held on to her leg, squeezing it, he felt cut off from her, separate, different. The panicking ponies of Ponyville feared the snow might be their undoing, but for Sumac, it was his undoing, and now he was facing an existential crisis that he had trouble comprehending. All manner of thoughts filtered through his mind, a million questions, such as wondering if this was why Trixie had trouble finding, and being, in love.

This knowledge expanded in his mind, blooming like an unwanted, bitter flower, a terrible weed that had grown in his budding garden of self-awareness and ideology. He thought of Applejack and her failed marriage. The colt shuddered as a vast, unknown, and potentially unhappy future presented itself. The Elements of Harmony had all stepped outside of the herd, and while they had friends, none of them had what one might call ‘normal lives.’

“I’m scared, Twinkleshine,” Sumac whispered.

“Of the snow?” replied Twinkleshine, her voice scratchy and catching in her throat.

“No. Not the snow.” When faced with the daunting task of trying to put his thoughts and feelings into words, Sumac’s brain balked, then shut down. The cold he felt wasn’t from the feral winter weather and somehow managed to sneak past Twinkleshine’s warm, velvet-smooth embrace.

“Poor little guy, I’ll save you.” Some of Twinkleshine’s bravery returned, spurred on by her sense of duty. “Let’s forget that lesson and go have cocoa instead.”

Sumac went cross eyed as he watched a fluffy snowflake land upon his nose. It melted almost right away, and the little colt listened to the sounds of the Ponyville marketplace being evacuated. He felt himself lifted by Twinkleshine and then he was plopped upon her back. She took off at a hurried trot, and Sumac could tell that she was holding back a full blown panicked run. Even now, she was clinging to her dignity, she was one of the noble unicorns of Canterlot, she had her pride, but she was on the very verge of losing it.

Such was life in Ponyville. The sight of one out of place snowflake or a visiting zebra was enough to spook the herd. Breathing deep, Sumac buried his face into Twinkleshine’s pink silken mane and let heave a sigh, not liking this newfound feeling of isolation. Was this part of what had driven Trixie to wander the roads?

He didn’t know, but wanted to talk to her about it. Maybe later, over supper.

Author's Note:

Introversion in an easy to understand collection of electrons.

PreviousChapters Next