• Published 3rd Mar 2016
  • 3,315 Views, 222 Comments

Twilight Sparkle has a Pokemon Journey - Darkmetroidz



Twilight recieves her first pokemon and goes off on an adventure. She meets new friends and rivals while striving to be the best Pokemon Trainer in Equestria.

  • ...
6
 222
 3,315

PreviousChapters Next
Special Chapter: Sunset's Descent

Author's Note:

Consider this to be a combination apology/ 1 year anniversary/ 1000 view special. I've been struggling to get around a block ever since Christmas, and things haven't gotten any easier since. I've been going through a rough patch for the last few months. School has been stressful and I'm likely losing my job. That being said, I'm in a much better place now, thanks in large part to my wonderful girlfriend, and I think I've finally managed to plan out the chapter that's been holding me up for so long. But today, I have something special for you. I want to express my sincerest thanks for everyone who has given my work their attention. It makes me happy beyond words to know that something I've written has been read, and judging by the ratings, well enjoyed by over 1,000 people. So thank you for your continued support and I hope to be getting back to a semi-regular schedule soon. Spring break has just began for me, so I have a solid week to get some work done.

Happy March and train on,

Jake, "Darkmetroidz".

Sunset Shimmer was on fire. The last few days had offered her some of the toughest challenges she had faced in her entire life. The reward? The opportunity to become a part of the Equestria Pokémon League by becoming the new Gym Leader of Ponyville.

Naturally, she had jumped at the opportunity. She had defeated every Gym in Equestria in convincing fashion, and with the legendary pokémon Moltres at her side, she had torn her competition apart. The only other trainer she had yet to defeat was a country bumpkin by the name of Cherilee. She grinned. This is in the bag.

The battle had been intense, but Sunset found it to be greatly entertaining. Things had started shaky for Cherilee, with Sunset knocking out her Snorlax and Stoutland in short order. But Cherilee had rebounded with her mega-evolved Kangaskhan. Her Arcanine had fainted, prompting her to select her Moltres instead. Sunset shrugged as she threw out the pokéball. "It's nothing personal. But I'm ready to end this." Her third pokémon, Blaziken, would have been able to take down Kangaskhan just as easily, but Sunset wanted to finish the battle in spectacular fashion- enough to demonstrate that the new leader of Ponyville was not to be trifled with.

Sunset turned to her imposing pokémon. "What do you say Moltres? Think we can end this in one attack?" Sunset turned her eyes to Kangaskhan, a sinister smile slowly spreading across her face. "Then let's end it. Sky attack!"

In one swift motion, Moltres downed its power herb. Suddenly it became cloaked in a harsh light, and then rushed straight at Kangaskhan, cloaked in a blazing aura. The impact threw up a cloud of dust that completely obscured the battlefield. Sunset allowed herself a triumphant laugh. There was no way Kangaskhan had withstood that.

When the dust settled, Kangaskhan lay unconscious in a crater. Wordlessly, Sunset withdrew Moltres, raising her hoof in triumph as the emcee declared her the victor. Cherilee sighed, pulling her Kangaskhan back into its pokéball. Putting a smile on her face, Cherilee walked over to Sunset and offered her a hoofshake. "Congratulations," She smiled. Sunset returned the gesture, but only out of obligation. She had little care for niceties at this point. Her eyes were squarely set on the prize: The scroll declaring the holder of it a bona fide Gym Leader.

All of the participants were gathered in the center of the stadium in front of the Royal Box where Princess Celestia and Luna had been watching, observing, and mediating on the outcome of the battles. Luna raised her voice, addressing the gathered trainers. "Thank you all for attending our event. As my sister and I expected, you are all among the most talented and skilled pokémon trainers Equestria has to offer. Now please, I ask you all remain silent. After much deliberation, we have decided who will be named the new Ponyville Gym Leader."

Sunset allowed herself a smug grin. Already, her mind was racing with the possibilities of how she would arrange set up her gym. Maybe something with lava? No, too predictable. Hmm… maybe I could put up some stained glass windows to reflect the sunlight… yes, that would look amazing.

"After careful consideration, my sister and I have chosen the new leader." Celestia announced.

That's right Cici. Just give it to me already. Sunset was growing impatient.

"Cherilee." They concluded together.

Sunset stopped dead. Reflexively, she had already stepped forward to claim the title. "WHAT?" She and Cherilee shouted in unison.

Princess Celestia turned a stern but calm gaze onto Sunset. "This competition is about proving more than strength." She explained. "Sunset Shimmer, you are a powerful trainer to be sure. But your style is too harsh and cruel. A Leader's job is to boost up their challengers and help them become stronger trainers. This is especially important as the first Gym a trainer faces on their journey. "

Luna continued to build on her sister's words. "Cherilee fought well, but has also always seen to her opponents and to their pokémon. Without fail, she has offered her opponent and hoofshake and a congratulations after a match, regardless of the outcome. In that way, we believe she is the better candidate to become the first Gym Leader in the Equestria League."

Sunset had heard enough. "If this is how our league is run, I want no part of it!" Her defiant scream echoed through the stadium. In a rage, she reached into her backpack, tossing her badge case onto the ground, cracking the plastic cover and scattering the metal pins across the ground. "I was wrong about you, Princess. You talk about how important it is to be your best, but it's obvious that you don't mean it. I've become stronger since I left on my journey than your teaching could ever make me. I'll become the strongest trainer in all of Equestria, and then you'll have to give me the respect I deserve."

Before Princess Celestia could open her mouth, Sunset had galloped off. "Oh Sunset…" She sighed. "You may have become strong, but your heart has grown cold."

Sunset fled into an abandoned corner of the Royal Stadium. Her blood was boiling on a mix of anger, sadness, and unbridled hatred. Once she found a suitably quiet corner, she sank to the ground, letting out a furious scream. She was on fire again. But the flames were the cold, low fire of hatred.

"Celestia is a bigger fool than I had previously thought." Sunset turned around to the sound of the voice. "You know, I could use a trainer as strong as you."

"If you want a Gym trainer, then forget it." She turned away, curling back into her corner. She above working as a lackey for a Gym Leader, especially after she was so close to becoming one herself.

"Gym Trainer?" He laughed, filling the dark hallway with resonating echoes. "You think to small, young Filly. I have far bigger plans. For you and for Equestria."

Sunset turned back towards him. "I'm listening."

"You want to become the strongest trainer in all of Equestria correct? Because you want respect. I've formed an organization consisting of top-notch trainers who just like you, want respect. Our goal is to take power here in Equestria. Replace the current League with one that gives truly exceptional trainers like yourself the room to grow to their full potential. In order to do that, we need strong trainers to lead. Would you and your Moltres like to join our movement?"

Sunset considered his words. This stallion had been the second-to-last obstacle in her journey across Equestria, but he had been by far the hardest fight she had encountered. His style was relentless and his pokémon were brutal. She thought about his message, the ideals and goals he had presented. This is a stallion who can do what he's talking about.

She looked him square in the eye. "I'm in."

He smiled, revealing the pointed teeth inside his maw. "Marvelous. I will be in contact with you in a few day's time. For now, here's my card." He gave her a coal-black business card with a purple eclipse printed onto it. "Welcome to Team Umbra."

Sunset stowed it in her bag. She looked back towards him as he causally walked away, leaving only the sound of his echoing hoofsteps to fill the dark corridor. "Thank you… Sombra."

PreviousChapters Next