• Published 16th Feb 2016
  • 3,926 Views, 46 Comments

Starlight Glimmer has a really bad time - Discorded SheepcityUSA



Starlight pulls another all-nighter in an attempt to beat Sans once and for all and finally get closure. Little does she realize the consequences of her actions in the game will remain forever, should she succeed.

  • ...
3
 46
 3,926

On days like these, mares like you...

It was now getting late into the afternoon, a few hours after Starlight “kindly” asked that Twilight and her friends leave her to her business. Since then, her reaction time has been getting better and better with each time she was defeated. She was beginning to last a lot longer into the battle than before. She remembered quite vividly that the same thing happened when she’d faced Sans the first time and fell for his dirty little trick.

“Alright, c’mon Starlight remember. Determination. LOTS of determination.” She said to herself as she chugged down another energy drink and at the same time, did the best she could in trying to dodge San’s attacks.

Starlight knew she’d get this done eventually. She HAD to. At the rate she was going, there’s no way she wouldn’t. And it wasn’t just that. She just NEEDED to beat Sans. He’d gotten the better of her way too many times for her to just not continue trying. After this was done, she would be able to take comfort in knowing she would never, ever have to do this again.

Though maybe doing a pacifist playthrough would help her feel like she atoned for her misdeeds in-game. That was a big MAYBE though. After this she would more than likely be spent on this game for a while.

Starlight was completely ripped away from these thoughts and directed her full attention back to the screen. She’d made it to a point she’d gotten to several times now and was prepared to try and go through it again. Knowing that even after this huge attack that Sans still had another one to throw at her made a deep pit grow in Starlight’s stomach. The fact that this current one wasn’t even his “special attack” certainly didn’t help.

Sans closed his eyes and prepared to strike. “well. here goes nothing. are you ready?” he asked, his eyesockets all of a sudden turning black and empty like Starlight had seen several times before this. “survive THIS and I’ll show you my special attack!” Sans launched the soul on the screen across the box and into the walls, bones coming out of the walls. She managed to bounce upward out of the way of the bones. Once that failed, Sans summoned more bones to scroll across the screen and Starlight managed to dodge out of the way of those as well. Supposedly running out of patience, Sans launched her heart across the box, somehow making it grow completely off screen and rushing past more bones.

Starlight could feel a bead of sweat forming on her brow, but couldn’t be bothered to wipe it away. She needed every last ounce of attention she had to be directed to Sans, nothing more. “I’m so close, I can just feel it.” Starlight said to herself. “For Faust’s sake just LET ME WIN!”

Her soul finally made contact with the side of the box, only for more bones to surface and for her to have to jump out of their path. The screen went black for half a second a couple of times and caused even more bones to try to attack her. Finally, an absurd amount of Gaster Blasters surrounded Starlight’s soul and began to open fire in a counter-clockwise pattern, making her have to move her soul several steps in front of them to avoid being utterly destroyed. Starlight had made it here before, and it was here where she had died and been the most frustrated she’d ever been in this playthrough.

Aside from well…the obvious.

Finally, the blasting stopped and Sans just began to mercilessly throw Starlight’s soul against the walls of the box, but something was different this time. Starlight had gone down to one health but Sans’ attacks were no longer doing any damage.

Could this mean…

Starlight realized what was happening, jumped up out of her seat, and raised her hooves to the ceiling, shouting for joy to the heavens. “YES! YES! I FINALLY DID IT, THANK CELESTIA ALMIGHTY IT’S OVER!” she shouted, tears of happiness forming in her eyes. It’d taken her a grand total of 17 hours to do it, but her greatest challenge in her life yet had finally been overcome. Starlight wasn’t sure if it was just pure irony that her greatest foe was someone that didn’t even physically exist, but at this moment she was too relieved to care. She looked at her screen to see what would happen next, only to see Sans setting her soul down, obviously looking completely drained and Megalovania beginning to fade out, leaving her in silence.

“huff…puff…all right…that’s it. it’s time for my special attack.” The second those words showed in Sans’ dialogue box, Starlight’s stomach dropped. She’d completely forgotten about that. The worst part was that she was now down to only one health left. And if San’s previous attack was that bad, what could possibly be worse? How would she be expected to dodge anything else with only one chance left? “are you ready? here goes nothing.” Sans proclaimed proudly, intimidating Starlight even further.

“N-No, p-please. No more, I-I don’t think I can take it.” She said as her hooves started to tremble nervously. She anxiously tried to ready herself for San’s final attempt to attack her…

Only for nothing to happen.

“…Um…you gonna, do anything Sans?...Ugh why do I keep forgetting that I’m actually talking to a computer?” Starlight asked herself as she rubbed her forehead in annoyance.

After a few more moments of seemingly nothing happening, San’s dialogue bubble popped back into view. “yep. that’s right. it’s literally nothing. and it’s not gonna be anything either. hehehe…ya get it?” Sans asked, his dialogue suggesting he was somewhat snickering a little and he winked.

Starlight just stood at her desk, keeping her unblinking eyes on Sans and taking in how badly he’d just trolled her. In no way was this anywhere near as bad as…that thing she refused to mention ever again because she also denies that it ever happened…but it came pretty close. Sans made her nearly have a heart attack for literally nothing. As mad as this made her, she had to admit the maker of this game was a mastermind in this department.

Starlight continued to scroll through San’s text and not much to her surprise, it looked like it was getting much darker and even more disturbing than it was before. “i know i can’t beat you. one of your turns… you’re just gonna kill me. so, uh, i’ve decided.. it’s not gonna BE your turn. ever. i’m just gonna keep having MY turn until you give up.” San’s eyesockets once again reverted to the black emptiness that Starlight had come to dread so much since she started this endeavor. “even if it means we have to stand here until the end of time. capiche?”

Then there was nothing. Again it appeared that Starlight was just staring across the screen at Sans and playing the waiting game, hoping for anything at all to happen. Every now and then Starlight would have to scroll through more of his text which continued to desperately try to get her to leave him alone.

It struck Starlight in the heart pretty badly right then; realizing just how hopeless San’s situation was looking. He KNEW he’d killed her plenty of times, but no matter what he did, her determination willed her to come back and try again. His only hope of survival at this point was to literally bore her into doing ANYTHING else. She put a hoof to her chest and winced a little in emotional pain. Was this really worth completing the game? Putting someone she felt was as real as her, even though she should have known better than to believe he was real and had grown to despise from losing to him so many times, through this much torment?

“To be honest…not really.” She answered herself. She still questioned if this game accurately reflected on what her moral standing was as a pony. She kept telling herself no. No it didn’t. She just wanted to see what happens. That wasn’t much to ask. She just wished she didn’t have to go through feels hell to do it.

If she really wanted to make herself feel better after this was all set and done, the idea of doing a pacifist run again to lift her spirits kept returning to her. Making friends seemed to do that. She did it before to help her feel good so who says it wouldn't work now? It'd be a lot of work to go through the game again, but it'd be a much more pleasurable experience than THIS.

Starlight realized then that Sans seemed to have gotten much more fatigued than she’d thought because now he was completely asleep. Trying to figure out what else there was left for her to do now, she aimlessly moved her soul around the small box. She made contact with the left wall, which to her shock, made the box actually move with it. Curious, she continued to ever so slowly move it to the left until she couldn’t move it anymore. She tried moving it again and managed to get it to move downward to the FIGHT button. “O-Oh no I’m really gonna kill a guy while he’s asleep?! Who does that?!” she yelled. She made it over the button and was fully prepared to press it, but hesitated again. She was about to actually do it. Her goal was just within her reach, but…why did she feel so bad about it, even though she knew she shouldn’t? It was all coding, programming, commands, and pixel art, nothing more. It was one of the times where she tried to hold emotion and logical reasoning to different standards…

In the end though, logical reasoning won out. She needed to end this.

Starlight clicked the fight button, only for Sans to once again dodge her attack. “heh, didja really think you’d be abl-“ at that moment, Starlight was so prepared to slam her hooves on her desk and yell “Fuck this shit I’m done!” to the heavens with all of her might, but Sans was stopped mid-sentence. Another attack that was executed without Starlight’s command, landed a blow on Sans. His pupils dilated and for the first time in the entire game, the corners of his mouth turned down into a very subtle frown. The hit-sound commenced and Sans toppled over with a huge gash slashed across his chest and tearing his T-shirt.

Again, Starlight was prepared to scream, this time out of relief that it was done, but stopped when she got a better look at Sans. His wound that she had inflicted on him was BLEEDING. No other monster in the game ever did that, so why Sans? She could conclude that bones have bone marrow, and in turn, blood in them, but he was also bleeding out of his mouth. Was it that ketchup she saw him drink that one time, or was he a human in disguise or something?

Those were questions for another time though. All she could focus on now was what else Sans could have to say to her after that. After so much hopless heartache and pain, Sans failed to defeat her, or even get through to her enough to make her stop. Even though he was smiling, his eyes looked completely miserable.

“……….so…guess that’s it, huh?...just…don’t say i didn’t warn you.” he said, his sprite starting to stand up and his hand still holding onto his wound. “…welp…i’m going to grillby’s.” Sans looked as if he was trying to move off-screen but was so injured that he was struggling to even find the strength to stay on his feet. Once he did make it past though, another one of his text boxes popped up that struck Starlight harder than any of the other deaths that had been caused by her hooves.

“papyrus, do you want anything?”

Afterwards, the usual sound of a monster being killed was played, and Starlight’s max health increased to a whopping 99 and her LV to 20. Despite all of that though, all she could do was think about how unfulfilling it all was. Especially after hearing San’s last words, she didn’t feel accomplished at all. She felt like a murderer. Like everything she did was simply for nothing but power and to fulfill her curiosity and nothing else. And over the course of her playthrough of battling Sans, she had grown to despise him for the many sleepless hours she’d endured from fighting him. Then why didn’t she feel accomplished even when she’d defeated her enemy? Why’d she still feel empty?

This feeling was all too familiar to her. It felt nearly identical to the things going through her head as she was trying to get revenge on Twilight. And she’d made the same mistake yet again, even as Sans had warned her otherwise.

“…Well…no use in turning back now.” She said to herself as she walked back to the sparkling save point and saved her game. She looked at the clock on her computer. 3:00 p.m. She’d gone almost an entire day without sleep. And even then she still had Asgore to deal with. She couldn’t do that now, not after suffering through that. Starlight needed to rest.

Starlight turned off the game, as well as the lights in her room, and crawled into bed. She didn’t care if it wasn’t nighttime, she needed sleep now more than she ever needed it before. She could at least take some solace in knowing that no matter how tough Asgore could possibly be in the Genocide route, there was no way he could be any worse than Sans was. At least she knew at this point that the worst was over, and that she could be playing on a much easier playing field once she resumed her game later. So she slowly shut her eyes and waited for blissful sleep to take her…





















































She was awoken with a start by a familiar and grating voice whispering in her ear with malicious intent lacing it.

“You IDIOT.

Author's Note:

I know the day this came out is stupid but I assure you it's a real chapter. :rainbowlaugh:

Anyway, looks like the worst has actually yet to come Starlight. Sans may have caused some pretty bad emotional pain, but it only gets worse from here. Be prepared. :rainbowwild:

Comments ( 23 )

cant really say much for this

I wonder is she going to do the soulless pacifist without knowing it after this it would be amazing and I want to see her reaction to chara...

My favorite line from Sans's Genocide text is when he talks about how you feel like just because you CAN, you HAVE to. That one hit me the hardest...

To date, I have killed him 5 times. And that line still makes me feel like shit. I feel like Starlight would feel the same.

7092192 Yeah the entire scenario with Starlight fighting Sans is pretty sad. Basically all of San's dialogue hits way close to home for her, but she keeps trying to convince herself that everything will be fine once it's over and done with. Her main conflict is "Okay I want to be a good pony but I NEED closure on this or I'll probably go insane."

And we ALL know what actually comes out of beating the genocide route.

7092222 Well, at least I can safely say I've never done a soulless pacifist run! That would kill me. No, I just wipe the game files every time to let myself keep some good feeling from the game...

That being said, yeah, the end of the genocide route is going to scare her. Then she's going to give her soul up to 'make it all okay'... And then...

Oops.

7092232 soulless pacifist, what a strange game. the only way to win, is not to play

7096691 Only way to win is to quit after the Pacifist run. Anything else is a loss.

Im gonna find Chara and Celestia knows what is gonna happen next:twilightangry2:

I really want to see her get jumpscared by Chara XD

Wait! I just thought lf something... In this story is Toby Fox actually a Fox that made a game?!

7266471 why wouldn't it still be the annoying dog? :trixieshiftright:

7376507 Could be, but if we go off of Toby's name He could be a fox, but it could also be an annoying dog with the name

7379695 toby actually confirmed that the annoying dog is indeed him with this

Everytime I read this, I think of...this...(I´m ashamed of myself...:facehoof:)

Who else cheated their way past sans :twilightblush:

Update please

Please finish the darn story! :'( Where's the "Should be burning in h*ll" bit?! :'(

“For Faust’s sake just LET ME WIN!” - Starlight=Asriel. This is interesting, well-written, and delves into gamers' minds! So coooool! Please continue! :'(

Pleaaaaaaaaaase finish this storyyyyyyyyyy! :'3

I'm guessing Omega Flowey also really aggravated Starlight

If she DOES do another Pacifist Route, she's gonna get the Soulless Pacifist Ending, unless she deletes the Genocide Data, and yet the game will still remember...

How did Toby Fox do that game programming magic!?

Login or register to comment