• Published 28th Jul 2015
  • 2,727 Views, 45 Comments

The Gas Mask Brigade Saves Equestria - Mr Anomalous



There were five of them, at first: odd, masked aliens. No one knew what they were, but they claimed to be there to help. The ones that TALKED, anyway. . . .

  • ...
10
 45
 2,727

Debugging the Cosmos, Part II

You would never know that the entire complex was speeding through of all time and space. Never a quake, never a shudder; it was as stationary as any house should be. Except of course, this complex was not a normal house.

No windows, of course, as peering outside during a voidsail could very easily drive you mad.

Everything was brick and concrete as well, reinforced with metal from dwarf stars when it could be: you don't want the beasties of the æther to come a-knock knock knockin' at yer door—or walls or ceiling,—no siree bob.

Usually, all you'd have to do is wait for a while and then peek outside with a camera.

"So why the bloody hell are we sittin' here outside the breach?" Mr. Foster demanded.

"Something is . . . trying to stop us," responded the Sandman as he examined his gear.

"Vell, zat's never happened before. How dare they! I am Zee Captein; I bring naught but delicious and juicy joy wherever I venture!"

"Mmmph!"

"Indeed, mein fiery flaming compatriot, most certainly indeed."

"Mmmph. . . ."

"Well then," said the fifth man, the one who could never decide on a name, "I suppose we're going to have to . . . make a jump for it?"

"Do ve have ze graphene cables?"

"We do."

"Aw hell, not those things again," complained Mr. Foster.

"Yeah, yeah, I know: voidjumping is extremely dangerous and every time we do it we're lucky to not lose all of our lives and/or sanity, but hey: we'll get ta shoot things. Eh speaking of which: what's already snaked its way through?" said Zettachrome/Arcanus Scriptor/Mr. Anomalous.

The Sandman rose and checked the nearest terminal, leaving a trail of vapor. Then: "None of the queerer creatures; and none of the allies of Azathoth, it looks like, though I wouldn't swear to it."

"So what? Zombies, giant spiders, a deathly virus? . . ."

"Lightmongerers."

Everyone but the Sandman and the Captain—who was pondering—cocked their heads.

"Eh? W . . . what are they doing there?" said the fifth.

"The door appears to have opened here," the Sandman said, tapping a spot on a map on the screen, "and . . . the ponies that inhabit the area are a queer group. Nocturnal. The Lightmongerers may be there to convert them."

"Aw, but we can't shoot Lightmongerers!" complained the fifth.

"My thoughts exactly," said Mr. Foster beneath his breath.

"Ah, no matter," the Captain said in a mock comforting voice, "somesing shootable shall come soon enough, and zen all your barbaric dreams shall be realized. . . ."

Comments ( 18 )

So far it's decent 6/10

6259225
'Tis meant to be cheesy and a bit lame.

6260280 This does not help me. Elaborate.

6260733 Good, but somewhat hard to follow.

Are you my mummy?

DEATH KORPS OF KRIEG. FOR THE EMPEROR.

6261339 TAKE ALL OF MY YES!

6261339 How the Hades did I forget this?? I must suffer a thousand years of torment on the front lines to atone for my Heresey! Blessed by the Emporer!

6262231 I'm serious, please add the Gas-mask zombies.

Comment posted by Szalhi deleted Aug 23rd, 2015

Ulysses from new Vegas? Tad of a stretch

dude you still working on this?

Hahaha! Awesomeness, hehehe, this is looking great!
but where's Snippy D: And Pilot! And Engie! ;n;

Nice job, faved! Can't wait for more.

Does roadhog count I want him in

Artyom, metro last light. He may work.

8932611
In a way?
Spoilers if you haven't seen the episode.
The empty child was the result of medical nanomachines crashing onto Earth during the London air bombings of WWII. A kid with a gas mask was killed, but the nanomachines essentially brought him back. Since they had never encountered humans before and had no programmed medical templates for what a functional human was like, the nanomachines essentially ad-libbed what human health was supposed to be like and took the revived kid as a template for human health. So they would try to "heal" any human they came in contact with, making them sprout a mask and spreading the condition to anyone they came in contact with. And the kid, and thus anyone affected by the nanobots, had a hyperfixation on locating his mom.

Of course, his actual mom came along and because they shared DNA, the nanobots essentially scanned her DNA, recognized her as the parent of the kid, and altered their health template accordingly, saving everyone.

Login or register to comment