• Published 21st Jun 2015
  • 1,219 Views, 15 Comments

In the Service of the Princess - 621Chopsuey



Flash Sentry and Star Kicker take on mercenaries who are after the princess.

  • ...
4
 15
 1,219

Bonus - From A Certain Point of View

Wavecrest: The Pony Hanging By A Thread

For what felt like the thousandth time in the past hour, I quietly drew in a breath and slowly let it out. I was nervous, very nervous, and I’d been doing all I could to keep calm and carry on with the preparations at hoof for the mission. Like my dozen other comrades, a length of cable suspended me several lengths above the railway. Thick mist had developed over the course of these late night hours and effectively obstructed our view of the railway below. Thankfully, we had come prepared for the northern forest’s conditions. Beneath my balaclava—a piece everypony in the team wore—I peered through the set of night vision goggles and scanned the vicinity for signs of life.

And just like the last several times in the past hour, there were no bright blotches moving in my vision save for my squadmates. Just trees and mist, as it has been since we got here.

“They should’ve been here by now,” I said, disappointed.

The strike team commander replied with an edge to her voice. “Patience, Wavecrest. A huntress will catch her prey only when she learns to sit and stay. Otherwise, no reward will be the price to pay.”

Easy for her to say. Ponente, real name Diamond Dust, allegedly grew up in Zebrica at a time when a regime change became a power struggle. Like some of those unfortunate to be living there at the time, Diamond Dust lost her parents to the calamity of one of the heir’s rise to power. She was forced to learn how to fend for herself in those dark times, eventually happening upon her family’s killers and butchering them mercilessly.

At least, that’s what the company gossip train brought along. I had my doubts about her backstory—not to say it wasn’t feasible nor believable, but it was highly unlikely for a teenager to pull through a crisis like Zebrica’s alive and relatively unscathed. Unless Diamond Dust really was the huntress the rumors claim and was just skilled at hiding the psychological scars, it was nothing more than a tall tale.

Either way, she had a way of radiating intimidation without even showing off a little metal. It was all in her speech. Her tone may have seemed sweet, but beneath that sweetness lay something that often led me to feel … disturbed. Something dark. Sometimes I find myself wondering how Grigori found a soulmate in her.

“Listen up, gents.” Baseplate’s voice drew me from my thoughts, prompting me and the rest of the crew to face him. “As a reminder, our objective is to take over the train and capture Princess Cadenza. Team B will handle securing the engine while Team A breaches the rear and heads straight for the Princess’s car, where we secure the target. It’ll be smooth sailing onward. Once we arrive at the dropoff point, we bang out and make our way to the rendezvous.

“What about Princess Luna?” I asked. “She ought to be dreamwalking by now, right?”

The green glow from Baseplate’s eyepieces bobbed as he nodded. “Princess Luna is currently dreamwalking, so resistance will be less compared to if she were present. If she does show up for any reason, then shift to Plan B: pop her with the sleepers.”

Silver Striker cast us a smug look. “You’re welcome.”

Right, the neurotoxin. I felt at the crossbow and quiver of darts strapped to my back. Harvesting that toxin from the south cone shell was a task in of itself. The waters around Freeport were relatively safer the closer to the coast you are; cone shell species are smaller and relatively harmless to the average equine compared to their larger brethren further out to sea. Pricks from the lesser ones were no worse than a bee sting, something I learned firsthoof when hunting them. However, get nicked by the larger ones like Conus geographus… well, the initial paralysis will be the least of your worries.

As an alicorn, Cadenza possessed a far greater tolerance to toxins than the other pony breeds. If the math was correct, one or two heavily-loaded darts would be enough to properly sedate her without her suffering muscular spasms. At least, not for too long.

Honestly, I was rather dumbfounded the Striker Clan even had cone shells in their possession, and I had been employed under them for years. Nowadays they were known for tending to their kelp farms, which I personally found a rather tame line of work compared to their ancestors’ warrior past, but it appeared inside information was correct. Such luck was a boon for our business. The more assets Wayward Enterprises obtained, the more innovations in military technology we had the potential to produce in the future. Which, by the way, was our secondary objective in this operation: test the new toys.

“Look alive, gents,” Baseplate advised. “We’re dropping in ten.”

The roar of the train grew louder as the distance between it and us shrank. I felt my breathing quicken in tandem with the beating of my adrenaline-laced heart. Another attempt was made to ease my nerves with slow breathing exercises.

“Brace yourselves...”

This was it. We were going in deep and going in hard.

“Drop!”

Numerous hours of training took over and we rapidly rappelled downward onto the approaching train. Ponente hit first, followed by the first team. Our group was close behind, with Baseplate leading the charge. When I landed, one of my hooves hit the roof the wrong way, a move that neutralized whatever potential grip I had and sent me tumbling along the roof. I’m positive it wasn’t me, but I swear I heard screaming.

The end of the car raced up to meet me. At the least moment before I slid off, a hoof gripped mine. It was miracle, though neither graceful nor silent; the momentum sent me slamming into the side of the car and a pained grunt from my lungs. Hopefully nopony inside heard the impact; otherwise this raid would’ve ended prematurely.

“Hate to lose ya not even ten seconds on the train.”

I looked up to my rescuer. Infrared made it impossible to make out details, but his voice was unmistakable. “Sorry,” I squeaked with laced embarrassment.

Able Yearling heaved me back onto the roof. “Ya gonna live?”

“Yeah,” I nodded as I properly gripped onto the roof. “I’ll hang in there.”

“Ya’d better. We just lost three of our boys because of the damn roof.” He then added solemnly, “Baseplate was among them.”

Oh dear. So that’s who I heard screaming. Barely into a mission and already lost three of our number, one of them the team leader no less. We were off to a bad start.

I quickly regained my composure and with Able regrouped with the rest of the team at the rear. Once together, Silver, now the deputy-cum-team leader, signalled us to stay put. We watched as she lowered herself to the caboose’s door and checked it for security measures. When she gave the all clear, the group followed her inside the caboose.

Silver then signaled us to stick to the shadows and stay put. We did so, and for a lengthy moment we remained still and silent. A guard entered the caboose at a slow pace, his head methodically shifting left and right in his thorough inspection of the train car. After a couple glances, he retreated to the the rear of the car and leaned against the railing. I guess he was taking a break and looking out into the stars. I wouldn't blame him. Guard duty’s monotonous drag threatened to drive anyone stir crazy if on a shift for too long.

Able emerged from his hiding spot and made his way behind the guard with practiced stealth. He slipped his forelegs around the guard’s neck in a stranglehold, one he held for several long moments filled with writhing limbs and pained gasps for breath from the poor bastard before he finally collapsed unconscious.

Silver signaled us and we pressed forward into the next car.


Star Kicker: The Pony Who Goes Through Fire and Water

It took a moment to catch my breath as I leaned against the door. That was too close for comfort. Way too close. Next time I decided to poke my head up from somewhere, I planned to do so with extreme caution. I had plenty of orifices in my skull, thank you very much.

On the bright side, I now had an idea what caused the noises from earlier. We had a tango on the roof, which meant the likely possibility more were aboard. I had better warn the others. If whoever it was up there was after Princess Cadance, the coach needed to be locked down and quick.

Good thing we had the crystal earbuds on hoof. Small, nigh-noticeable, and excellent reception. Hopefully. I spent months of research and development on these with Princess Luna as a newer, more efficient means of communication between units. Considering they worked off of ever-oscillant dream magic, the earbuds had been wonky the first few uses, but I was positive the kinks were ironed out this time.

With a thought, I activated the earbuds and bridged a mental connection between myself the rest of the detail. Black Leader here. We have an enemy tango on the roof and possibly more. Execute security protocols.

Already in the process of doing that. Despite it being his thoughts and not his actual voice speaking, Emerald Ray sounded edgy and out of breath. Repelling three attempting to take over the engine.

Black Leader. That was Lifeline. Echo’s gone silent. Veritable chance of more coming in from the rear.

Shadow’s teats, things were getting bad quickly. Prepare for an assault. I’m on my way.

I cut the connection. We were being pinched from two sides without any idea of how many tangos were on board, and. Worse, Echo could already be dead and Flash might be the next to go. Much as I wanted to lend him a hoof against the assailant that nearly perforated my skull, my team came first, and they needed all the horsepower they could get with what was most likely going to be an intense engagement.

A trip through the chilly wind and rain, and I slipped inside, only to be met with the point of a blade in my face. I quickly held my hooves up to show I meant no harm. Geez, sharp objects seemed to love me tonight, didn’t they?

“Oi, I said I was on my way!” I snapped.

“Apologies, Commander. We’re on edge at the moment.”

“I can see that, Frost.” I looked from her to the magically-gripped rapier back to her again. “You mind pointing the edge of that thing the other way?”

Aria Frost dipped her blade to the side, her hard face not budging an inch. “Black Shift is at the ready, as you have instructed.”

Lifeline had taken up a position between one of the rows further up. He kept his sights on the door as he spoke up. “Not as if there were many of us to begin with.”

“We’re Her Highness’ elite. We’ve been trained to tackle situations like this. This is no different than any previous engagement.”

“Come now, where’s your sense of humor?”

“I’m still on edge,” Aria stated.

I rolled my eyes. “You really need to learn to lighten up, Aria.” Our heads whirled at the door when sparks and embers started to dance along its edge. They were cutting their through. “We’re shorthanded one, so we’ll have to make due with just us. Lifeline, hang back—you’re our only medic, so you need to remain less vulnerable. Aria, you and I will bring up the front.”

“Yes, Commander.”

Shortly after we switched positions, a small explosion ripped the door apart. From out of the smoke and flame charged a crew of black-suited ponies, led by a mustached earth pony with a machete in his mouth. As he closed the distance, he tossed his blade at us in hopes it would embed itself in someone’s skull. Aria gripped the projectile in her magic and tossed it back. However the mustached pony leapt and, having anticipated the return throw, caught the grip, drew it back, and slammed it into the floor where Aria was.

Thankfully Aria had the common sense to avoid getting diced up by jumping back beyond the strike. She delivered a couple swipes of her rapier. The first drew a line up his cheek, earning a hiss from the mustached pony in his native tongue, though he deflected the second as he regained his hoofing. When he came at her again, Aria caught his machete in a blade-lock that brought them almost muzzle to muzzle.

I blinked. It all happened so swiftly as if it were all choreographed for a film. If this were not a critical situation, I’d have continued watching.

That’s when I started dealing with some respiratory problems. One moment I was breathing fine, the next a sphere of water had formed around my head. Now I was trying my best to fight the urge to inhale and fill my lungs with water. I muttered a curse. I allowed myself to be distracted for a split-second, and one of the intruders took advantage of it by casting a water spell around my face.

Remaining as calm as I could in this situation, I quickly scanned the car for the culprit. It was difficult, considering the amount of time I had before my brain screamed for oxygen and the ongoing duel between Aria and the machete pony. At least my ears remained untouched. My gaze finally settled on a unicorn in night vision goggles near the rear, an open bottle held within her magic. Aha, there’s the culprit; now I just needed to deal with her with a few fire spells. That ought to be sufficient enough to break her concentration.

I launched them from beyond the water bubble and watched as they swiftly homed in on the hydromancer. They were mere feet away when the universe decided to thwart my efforts via a diamond dog swatting them to nothing. How did he do that? I glanced at his paws and my mood soured; fire-resistant gauntlets. How convenient.

“Good dog, Bruiser,” said a pegasus with a sickle. The compliment earned her a rude gesture from the diamond dog in return.

Wait, a diamond dog? As a soldier of fortune? That was very unusual, and something worth investigating. However, I could worry about that another time. I now needed to deal with two goons instead of one, and fast. I could vaguely see Bruiser raising his fist in the blackening edges of my vision.

I rolled to the side to avoid the strike. Thank goodness the Crystal Empire’s passenger cars were wider and longer than the standard Equestrian model. It gave me room to maneuver around Bruiser’s attacks as well as other ponies in the middle of this. The extra space was advantageous for Aria, too. By now, she had dispatched the machete pony and took on the sickle pegasus, who seemed to be holding her own rather well against my second-in-command.

The dodging cycle repeated a few more times. I bit my lip in vexation. I could dodge the diamond dog’s attacks all I wanted, but the water bubble followed my every movement, which left me less unable to get a bead on the hydromancer and break her spell. It was ridiculous. A well-played strategy, I’ll give them that, but still utterly ridiculous.

Either way, I was nearing the end of my limits. My strength wavered and I could hear my heart beating loudly in my ears. Panic began to settle in at the realization I had mere seconds to choose between just winging an escape or drowning on dry land. No. Not now. I can’t die here. I still had so much to live for. I still had somepony to live for—Mom, Dad, and Storm. Uncle Tor and Cloud.

And Sparkler. I’m not giving up on you.

Spurred by the thought of Sparkler, I conjured whatever spell came to mind first and hurled it. Whatever it was, it hits its mark and the sphere fell away. I immediately gasped in cool, sweet, glorious air. Never again will I ever take it for granted.

As my brain became reaquainted with its oxygen supply, I chanced a glance at my handiwork. The diamond dog was splayed out against the roof in comical fashion. It was even funnier when he peeled away and fell to the floor to reveal the hydromancer embedded in the roof. The comedy didn’t last long, however; the rottweiler diamond dog quickly regained his footing, having recovered from the surprise counter.

The sickle pegasus took notice of the shifting tide of battle and zipped away from us to take up a position next to her canine comrade and another pegasus. “It takes more than a concussion spell to keep Bruiser down.”

“Maybe I ought to douse him instead?” I snarked back, conjuring a few spheres of water of my own. “Can’t exactly return the favor to your friend up there.”

Sickle pegasus held out her weapon threateningly. Lovely, more sharp objects. “Yeah, you’re gonna pay for that.”

“Enough.” Aria stepped forward. “Your numbers have dwindled, and you are in no position to enact further resistance. In the name of Her Highness Princess Luna, surrender peacefully and lay down your arms or perish.”

I prayed to Shadow they had the common sense to surrender. I hated taking a life as much as the next guardpony.

“Ya can go right boil yer head with that order, lass,” the other pegasus shot back with a heavy Trottish accent.

Aria’s tone went frosty. “So be it.”

Shadow’s teats...


Wavecrest: The Pony Who Counts Her Blessings

For the fifth time in what I guessed was the past hour, I shifted to a more comfortable position to sleep in. That is, as much as my bindings would allow. The tufted seat in coach was better than other places I’ve found myself sleeping in. Pity the scrap of comfort did nothing to help ease my mind. It was hard not to ponder over where life will take you next as you are on a train ride to a cell.

I suppose it was bound to happen, given my choice of career.

For the most part, the operation went as planned: we boarded the train, breached their defenses with a forward assault, and divided their numbers while the second, smaller team took charge of gaining control of the engine. Even if we lost a few on the initial landing, we should have completed the objective with limited difficulty. It was a simple strategy when you broke it down. But it did not matter how many hours you devote to data analysis, formulating strategy, or training. There is always a variable outside your control that has the potential to interfere. In short, anything that can happen, will.

And just like that, something happened: feces hit the fan. Why? There were a number of viable reasons. Perhaps it was because we underestimated Luna’s bodyguards, or maybe her exit from the Dreamscape had an adverse affect on morale. Whatever may be the case, we were overwhelmed. At that point it was best to surrender with what little dignity we had left and conserve our numbers.

Of course, Diamond Dust was not one to give up so easily. Don’t misunderstand me, I admired her persistence, but her personal vendetta against Equestrian royalty were getting in the way. She insisted we make one last attempt at the princesses. I wanted to say no, but I wasn’t in a position to do so. One, she was my commander, and two, we already invested too much in the operation to abort it.

So we fought back. Even if our second wave of attack was less orchestrated, we had the advantage of surprise on our side thanks to Diamond incapacitating her guards before they could warn the detail. Plus, one cold iron-tipped dart should have been enough to render Cadenza unconscious. Perhaps we underestimated an alicorn’s resistance to toxins as well. It was hard to put considerable R&D in a toxin if the intended target was one of four alicorns in existence.

All thanks to Diamond’s stubbornness, our flanks were handed to us. Again.

I groaned distastefully at my ruminations, giving up on trying to sleep and absent-mindedly setting my gaze on the luminescent crystal ceiling. Actually, the luminescence was rather hypnotizing the longer I kept my focus on it. At least I had some form of mental activity to keep my occupied on the trip to our punishment.

“Hey, Wavecrest.” Silver looked to me with concerned blue eyes. “You still playing that game of ‘what if’?”

“No?” I lied.

“Seriously, you need to quit it. Otherwise you’ll be wallowing in self-misery over what could have been.” She jerked her head to a few rows ahead of us. “That mute motherbucker’s got the right idea. Do what he’s doing.”

In his seat, Bruiser sat with his eyes closed, chest rising and falling in slow steady breaths. It was no surprise. He practiced meditation after a mission as if it were a ritual, which seemed to do him well in the long run.

As for me… “I’ve tried, but it can only do so much.”

“You wanna talk, then? It’s not like we have anything better to do while we rot away down here.”

“I suppose...” I glanced at the two ponies sitting opposite us. Able and the pegasus guard had fallen asleep some time ago, both leaning against one another’s shoulder in an almost innocent, comical way. I saw no reason why we couldn’t talk so long as we whispered. “If it had been your choice, who would you’ve put in command?”

“That falls under the category of ‘what if’.”

“Just be honest.” I offered diplomatically. “That’s all I’m asking you.”

“If you think I believe Diamond Dust shouldn’t have had full command over the operation, then yeah. It was too personal for her. That alone ought have barred her from it entirely.” Silver shrugged, though her displeasure was still apparent. “But hey, the boss thought she was ready to command her first mission—though if you want my opinion on that too, I think favoritism for his partner lead him to make a bad choice.”

“Not to mention our client wanted the best,” I added.

Her tone soured further. “Just because our client wanted the best didn’t guarantee the best results. Some of us work separate for a reason.”

I laid a hoof on hers as best I could in our position. “I’m not disagreeing with you, merely stating the facts. But yes, I heard Diamond operates better on solo operations.”

“Yeah, she does. Quick and quiet, just like a predator. I guess she’s more the lone wolf type. Were it done my way, Baseplate would’ve been our guy. He did things by the book and didn’t let personal feelings get in the way.” Silver hung her head as she sighed. “Shame he didn’t live long enough to hear the praises.”

“You were a great leader, too.”

“Heh. You’re just being polite.”

I shook my head at her modesty. “Don’t underestimate yourself, Silver. If anything, you adapted to your leadership role rather well despite the circumstances. Baseplate would be very proud of that.”

That got a small smile out of her, and pinkening cheeks to boot. “Shut up, you’re making me blush.”

I smiled proudly. “Mission accomplished.”

Faint sniffling could be heard from a few rows ahead. I initially dismissed it as someone with a cold; the weather had been rather unforgiving since we had been here, so one of my colleagues was bound to have come down with one in the interim and only now started to show symptoms. When other distressing noises joined in, however, I grew more curious. I looked over to where Bruiser and Diamond Dust were sitting. The former was still meditating. As for the latter...

I arched a brow. “Is she… crying?

Silver craned her neck to get a better view. “Holy Goddess, I’ve never seen a Zebrican cry before. I always thought they only just got more pissed off.” She bit her lip in thought. ”Maybe she’s crashing from those potions?”

“I wouldn’t put it past it. Zebrican potions tend to have adverse mental or emotional side effects, and Diamond did seem emotionally unstable after drinking one compared to her usual self.” Normally Diamond Dust was cool and collected, not prone to mood swings. The researcher in me made a mental note that such symptoms warranted further research. “I suppose what happened back in coach was enough to break her.”

“Sounds good to me. Er, legit I mean,” Silver quickly amended. “So close to revenge only to have the rug pulled from under her like that. Talk about cruel.”

“Right. Cruel…”


Star Kicker: The Pony With Something to Fight For

“Oh Goddess…” Sparkler gasped as I drew in for another kiss.

Normally, I would have been more wary during these makeout sessions with Sparkler, what with the risk of parents sleeping in the next room or someone walking in on us. With it broad daylight however, Mom and Dad were out enjoying the sights of the Empire while Storm remained on duty, so this was not the case. Plus, we made sure to lock the doors this time; we didn’t need anyone waltzing in on us again.

Didn’t make our alone time any less naughty.

We were in our guest suite in the Crystal Castle, one of few provided to us and the rest of the family at no expense thanks to friends in high places. I had Sparkler pinned against the wall next to a long window with a view overlooking the stadium below, my body pressing against hers as we feverishly made out like the two young lovers we were.

I needed this. Not necessarily the sex, as I reminded my teeth before they had a chance to nip at her neck, but I really, really needed intimacy right then. Between the moment I stepped off the train until Sparkler’s arrival a couple hours ago, all I could think about was how I almost fell in the line of duty and how I just wanted to feel my marefriend’s body against mine, hear her voice in my ears, know that I was still alive.

And here we were, then and there in the confines of the suite, alone, and making the best of what time we had together. I wanted to show Sparkler how much she meant to me. Life is short, after all.

I slipped my lips back up to hers and mashed them together as I wrapped my forelegs taught around her. It certainly got a surprised moan out of Sparkler, but that didn’t stop her from reciprocating the gesture. We held that stance, tongues dancing and hooves gliding along mane and fur for … seconds? Minutes? I’m not quite sure. It’s weird when you lose track of time when you’re playing tonsil hockey. However long it was, the brain’s demand for oxygen won out and we broke away, panting for breath.

“You’re…” Sparkler said breathlessly as she wiped her mouth. “You’re really into it.”

I gave her a playful, equally breathless look. “You saying … it’s too much for you?”

“S’not that, just … you never get this intense when we do this.” When I didn’t respond, her gaze expressed concern. “Something happen?”

I looked away, suddenly finding the Empire’s skyline more interesting. I hadn’t bothered divulging the details with her. Reliving those memories was the last thing on my mind during our visit here for the Games. But I ought to explain things. As her marefriend, it would be best to confide with Sparkler about my problems. I was much better about it with Storm considering the nature of the issue, and would have confided in her immediately were she here, but she was occupied with royalty at the moment.

A soft hoof cupped my cheek. Sparkler gently nudged it so my eyes would meet hers. “You can tell me anything, y’know.”

After some hesitation, I took a seat with Sparkler at the coffee table next to the window and did just that. I explained to her what had happened on the train, from the initial assault to the standoff. Minus the unnecessary details. I wanted to avoid anything too nitty-gritty or militarily sensitive for her ears. When I was done, I gave her a moment to process the information.

“That’s… wow.” She looked almost amazed. “You really duked it out with a diamond dog and a hydromancer?”

I resisted the urge to deadpan. “Not exactly the reaction I’m looking for, Sparks.”

“Sorry.” She flicked her gaze away sheepishly. “Rainbow rubs off on you after a while. If you were telling her this, she’d be fangirling over how awesome that must’ve been.”

“Don’t I know that.” My nostalgic smile didn’t last too long. “The whole time I was fighting, I didn’t think we would make it back home. With Cadance’s unit on lockdown and ours short one, we were outnumbered. The chances of coming out alive were… I thought I wasn’t gonna come home.”

I could feel the trembling as I putting effort into keeping my emotions in check. I had to stay strong for her. “But I did,” I resumed after a brief silence. “I wasn’t going to give up the chance to see you again.” Thoughts of Storm, Cloud, and the rest of the family drove me to stay alive and fight back harder, too, but Sparkler took the spotlight. She was special. She was my light in the darkness.

Sparkler took one my hooves and gave it a gentle squeeze, and I slowly stopped trembling. She didn’t need to say a word. The action alone was enough for the meaning to come through.

It’s okay, Star. You’re here. I’m here. Everything’s okay.

That small smile came back to my face as I squeezed back. There was no reason to worry now. I was alive, I was ... well not quite home yet, but the Crystal Empire was close enough. We were together, family and fillyfriend, safe and sound.

“I never doubted you,” Sparkler said, “and I never will. I know you’ll always come back because you’re a strong pony, Star. Nothing’s gonna take you away.”

I would have loved for the moment to last, but like all good things it had to come to an end. Sparkler’s lips wavered as she tried to maintain a straight face. She failed, and out came the contagious laughs. Still plenty good in its own right, and I was overdue for a laugh.

It took a moment for Sparkler to catch her breath. “Geez, that sounded cheesy. We sound like a couple from a romance novel.”

I giggled. “Still doesn’t make it any less true, nor does it change anything between us.”

“I guess it doesn’t,” Sparkler agreed with a shrug.

Motion just outside our vision prompted a quick peek out the window. Twin contrails of lightning streaked towards the train station. My smiled broadened. Good to know others were fortunate to see their loved ones again.

Sparkler squinted her eyes at the pair, her mood souring. “He wasn’t bothering you again, was he?”

I resisted the urge to laugh again. Being the one wearing the pants in the relationship, I should be the one asking these kinds of questions. “He flirted a little, but no—Flash wasn’t a nuisance.”

She kept her sights on the diminishing dots in the distance, almost as if she was ready to smite Flash if she heard one word of the guy breaching boundaries. He and his sister landed, then disappeared inside the station, much to Sparkler’s disappointment. “Just don’t make the mistake of giving him the wrong idea.”

“Wrong idea? You mean lead him on? Never.” I felt a twinge of offense at my marefriend’s lack of trust, though it quickly faded away. Sparkler felt threatened by his actions. I certainly would be if our positions had been switched. The thing was I had no interest in Flash whatsoever. Sure, he was a gentlecolt and had an optimistic personality, but we were just friendly, nothing more. He knew that too, but as our latest trip proved, that never stopped him from pulling the occasional flirt. Or the naughty thought. Poor guy ought to learn not to let his mind roam with the earbuds on during rooftop inspections.

Yep, I heard every word, and thanks to his blunder I had hard evidence Flash remained genuinely infatuated with me. I shook my head and smiled, amused now that my suspicions were confirmed. When will he ever learn to not lead himself on?

Sparkler rose an eyebrow. “What’s so funny?”

I quickly recovered, casually waving my hoof. “Oh, nothing.” I could easily imagine Sparkler burning Flash a new one if he ever got too close. All the more reason to remind him we were just friends, and the best way to nip that issue in the bud was over that drink and the slab of meat he owed me. Poor guy also had a habit of betting on stakes he knew are against him, the worst offenses in the realm of pranking. Funnily enough, I’ve been a novice at pranks up until my previous visit in Ponyville, which was quite the traumatic learning experience for me and Sparkler. Most anything before that visit Flash gives me too much credit for. Not that I minded his gushing praises, but I think his definition of a good prank differed from mine. That, or he was easily amused by anything. Either way I took pleasure in spooking him.

But I digress. I could further mull over the matter later. My attention was needed elsewhere. “It’s not important. We have the room all to ourselves and that’s all that matters now.” Intent on putting the mood back to how it was in the first place, I gently guided Sparkler to the bed. Together we collapsed onto it and held each other close, our horns crossing as a symbol of our intimacy. I pecked her on the lips, and got a loving smile in return.

“One more,” Sparkler requested.

I obliged.

“One more.”

I obliged again.

End

Author's Note:

At last, it's finished!

I want to give a big thanks to Chengar Qordath, Comma-Kazie, Ponibus, Web of Hope, Rodinga, Dusk Watch, Swiftest Shadow, Poptard, and Equestrian Scholar for their patience and time, plus the loads of input regarding Zebrica and Star Kicker. My apologies for the progress and irregular bursts of contact on this one.

Comments ( 3 )

If Luna wanted to use Diamond's head to fill the vacancy on Chrysalis's left, does that mean the spot on the right has already been taken? If so I wonder whose head sits there.

7834232 This story is a tie-in to that story.

By the by, you meant "you're" :twilightsmile:

Well, that certainly was an exciting adventure. Always good to see Flash not treated like garbage.

I wonder, is there a story that dives into this whole scheme targeting Cadance? Feels like there was a lot unresolved there, especially with Ponente.

Login or register to comment