• Published 16th Jun 2015
  • 561 Views, 15 Comments

Dead Birds - Stray Dog Kane



Gilda feels like she trapped in a nightmare. Problem is, she isn't dreaming.

  • ...
3
 15
 561

PreviousChapters Next
Getting to know each other

Lunch had been a nice snack of sardines. While Gilda would normally say no to such puny fish she ate them anyway. She missed meat that much for such a long time. Then she got the biggest questions out of the way, with Fluttershy being more than eager to answer them.

No, Dash didn’t know she was there. No, Dash was not going to come here; having been told by Dr. Shy that her new patient is easily startled and quite sensitive to strangers, so it was for the best she didn’t go to her cottage for now. And lastly no, there wasn’t much more for entertainment beyond board games and reading.

“Do no ponies have cooler stuff to do around here?” Gilda sighed at that third one.

Despite Fluttershy’s wishes, the griffon had nothing more to say now. She was more interested in finding something else to do than talk to the pegasus. Gilda did find a card deck, and several rounds of solitaire were had on the coffee table in front of the living room couch.

Sometimes, she looked up from her games, usually from the sound of movement the pony made as she trotted around from one task to another.

Despite the fact Fluttershy had trotted past where she sat, Gilda did not feel up for having any interaction with her. Still, compared to the idea of another jump scare today for the griffon, the pony’s presence was almost welcome. So Gilda simply camped out in the living room until the pegasus called her for dinner.

Soon it came, much to Gilda’s delight. “So, what’s for dinner?” she asked when she sat at the table.

Instead of any meat, there was that tofu junk the griffon heard about. Gilda had heard about some griffons and minotaurs actually ate that stuff. She didn’t though, and she looked at it like the pony had given her pet food.

“I’m sorry, but I haven’t gotten any more fish yet,” Fluttershy said, apologetic to Gilda’s bitterness. “I’ll see about getting that tomorrow, so don’t worry.” While she was sorry, the griffon was still eating tofu.

Gilda let out a sigh, bitter and lacking the energy to argue. She ate it, not like she had much else she could do. There was a side salad, but she wasn’t much of a salad eater. Even so, Gilda still ate it too in defeat. At least it wasn’t hayfries again.

It was quiet as Fluttershy ate her salad meal, which suited the griffon’s mood enough.

“So…” Shy eventually tried to break the silence Gilda had enforced after lunch. While the griffon did let out a growl about it, Fluttershy seemed undeterred. “Bed time is in bit, so I think it’s time to tell you about the medicine I have for you.”

“What?” Gilda said in surprise. She had not read about this. Maybe, how far did she read again? She couldn't recall any of it.

“It’s nothing too major!” Fluttershy said, waving her hooves in front of her. “I read about you having vivid nightmares. And it’s part of the reasons I wanted you here, because I have a way to help you with them.”

“Like what?” Gilda asked with sarcasm, rolling her eyes as she rubbed her head. “Pills that give good dreams or something?”

“Exactly!” Shy said with joy as Gilda jolted in surprise. “They already told you?”

The griffon nearly head tabled, but just stated the obvious.

“No, they just sent me here,” Gilda said bitterly to the pony. “Do you really think I will believe in some stuff that causes dreams?”

“Yes?” Fluttershy replied and seemed immune to irony. “Just take it you are ready to go to sleep. But, don’t take it too soon. It…” She seemed unable to find whatever words to describe the rest, so the griffon finished it for her.

“Knocks me out, like some sleep aid,” Gilda moaned at the obviousness of it. “I know, I’ve seen it before.”

“Well…” Shy paused for a bit. “It’s more….”

While Gilda was more than unhappy to listen to the pony’s drivel, something impacted her face. The fact some moron had hit the side of her head with a uneaten vegetable had Gilda more muddled than angry.

While it caused her to blink, Fluttershy seemed to be more upset by it. “Angel…” her tone almost felt unsettling, like she had some restrained anger.

Looking around the griffon saw a white rabbit. At least it wasn’t as bad as the last white thing she’d seen. It still looked at them both with a grumpy look, but Shy wasn’t giving into it.

“I already told you, I’ll be by later,” she said, like she was talking to her disobedient child. “Right now, I’m trying to help someone, and I did tell you what would happen if you scared off another patient.” For whatever reason, whatever she was talking about caused rabbits mood to change. He looked more nervous, even terrified before nodding quickly and hopping off.

“Uh, what’s his problem?” Gilda asked, pointing a talon at the retreating rabbit.

“He really doesn’t like strangers a-and he’s…” Fluttershy tone returned to normal as she tried to find the words, but Gilda saw the comedy gold there.

“That rabbit scared ponies off?” Gilda said in disbelief and a laugh. “Really?”

Shy looked down and shook her head. “They were already troubled before they came here, Gilda,” she said sadly. “Eventually, they left for different care.”

The pony stopped for a moment, brushing her hoof on her muzzle as Gilda shrugged. It was then she rose her head with a “I got it!” look. It was quite abrupt, enough to worry the griffon.

“Maybe if he got to know you?” Fluttershy said with some excitement, and Gilda still looked shocked. “If you two were able to become friends, he won’t feel like he was being left out!”

Unfortunately, Gilda did not share that enthusiasm. “I eat rabbits, dork,” she said plainly.

“Please?” Shy pleaded with the griffon. “It could help your mood. And he will do better with a new friend, so he won’t cause any problems for you.” She had her hooves together, like she was begging.

“I don’t even speak his language,” Gilda dismissed again.

“I can help,” Shy continued.

“Heh heh heh, no,” Gilda laughed dryly as she looked away and drank from her glass.

“Please?” Shy still pleaded.

“I said no,” Gilda replied, now this was getting more annoying.

“Pretty please?” and Fluttershy, the duck pony, kept going.

“Please don’t drag me into some kind of longer and longer versions of please stuff,” Gilda closed the argument, or tried too. “Like some kind of stupid kids story …”

While Fluttershy didn’t drag her into such, that pleading look was still there. Gilda frowned for a moment as she looked aside. Not so much from guilt, but more from feeling dragged into this “friendship” business. Even so, after a moment she rolled her eyes and sighed in defeat. She just didn’t have the energy for this.

“Fine, geez!” Gilda groaned back. “But if he throws rocks at me, I’m eating his ears.” She put a claw on the back of her neck as she wondered how was she even going to start with this. Though by the look of the pony, the mare already had an idea.

“I’m glad,” Fluttershy said with a happy look. All eyes closed, head to the side with glee. Like one of those weird happy people Gilda had made a point to keep away from.

In time the meal was finished.

“Do you want to help me with dishes or…” Shy asked, but could read the look being given to her by the griffon. “I-I guess not.” she finished as they got up. Gilda to leave, and Fluttershy to do dishes. “Well talk more after I’m done, ok?” she called after as Gilda left.

“Whatever.” Gilda muttered as she walked past the living room and, not interested in playing another game by herself, went upstairs. She paced for a bit in her room for a bit, sharpened her beak with cuttlefish bone, and cracked her claws.

In short time, she noticed she had a guest when the door opened. A short, unhappy guest that somehow got a door bigger than he was open by himself. Angel, the rabbit, looked displeased just being there.

“You ain’t too happy about this either huh?” Gilda said, only briefly looking at the bunny as she put her bones away. Her answer from him was another carrot end to the face. “Well aren’t you friendly,” she said through gritted teeth. “Didn’t your mom tell you to be nice?” She looked back at the rabbit, who just tapped his foot with an annoyed look of it’s own. “Hey, I ain’t too excited either. So what?” she added grimly.

Fluttershy showed up about then, as usual looking to try to break the tension carrying a saddle bag.

“So how you doing this, duck-pony?” Gilda asked the pegasus. She could imagine the brief chuckle from the rabbit, just a small one. Still, Fluttershy seemed optimistic about this.

“First, I want you to shake hands.” Shy pushed the rabbit up to Gilda, who just then acted like any small creature before something that might eat it. Namely looking a bit worried as he got closer to those talons. “It’s ok Angel. She doesn’t want to hurt you, right Gilda?” Fluttershy added.

While the big, sharp beaked, meat eating griffon was more than happy to disagree with the pony, Gilda still played along. If a little reluctant.

“Give me your paw…” Gilda moaned, moving her claw forward. “Let’s just get this over with.”

The Angel rabbit’s face returned to it’s unpleasant expression, but he still gave her his paw. They shook, no fireworks, no nothing. Both just about as excited as the other, that is to say not at all.

“That’s the spirit!” Fluttershy clapped her hooves with a smile, at least before she saw the unhappy looks of the rabbit and griffon gave her, then her smile was mostly sheepish. “Well, ok, mostly. I’ll see about getting you two more acquainted later.” She then patted Angel on the head. “I’m proud of you, Angel,” she said supportivly to the bunny. “If we can work together on this, we can all get along.”

Angel’s expression told a different story, but at least Gilda didn’t need to worry about the worst that rabbit could cook up, whatever that was at least. Regardless of the bunnies displeasure, Fluttershy gave it a hug telling it she had something to take care of and wishing him goodnight as he left.

“Now, Gilda?” Fluttershy turned back to the griffon. “This is the medicine I want you to take.” She revealed a small bottle from the bag, and took from it something strange.

“The heck is that?” Gilda said with a weirded out expression, her brow raised and eyes wide when she saw the object the pony now held.

The thing in Fluttershy’s hoof looked less like a pill and more like something made of gold with a green glint to it. If Gilda didn’t know any better, she’d think it was a bit of gold dust or pea sized nugget. But that glow told her it wasn’t any gold she had ever seen, and it’s luster made it near reflective, almost transparent.

“All you need to do is take it before bed,” Shy explained, holding the pill out with her hoof to the griffon as Gilda was still wondering what to make of it. “But only when you're ready, because it will work in a few minutes.” The griffon still just stood there. “OK?” she added, if a bit more worried.

Without a word, the griffon took the pill into her claw, still looking at it in confusion.

“Where did you get these?” Gilda asked, her brow hadn’t lowered as she looked at the pill.

“It something I got from a dear friend,” Fluttershy answered back as she put the bottle away. “Maybe I can introduce you to them, if that’s ok with you?” Despite the her eagerness with Angel, she looked more nervous on this one. “He’s more difficult to be around though, so it will have to wait til later. After you’ve had some time to settle in and I’ve had some sessions with you.”

“Meh,” was Gilda’s two gold pieces. “Whatever.”

The pegasus seemed to know the griffon wasn’t going to give much of a answer, so she left for a moment with Gilda putting the odd pill on the nightstand. Soon Fluttershy came back with a glass of water, placing it on the nightstand next to the pill.

“It's safe, so don't worry,” Fluttershy said with that soft look of hers. “Just, please, keep your eyes shut, ok?" Gilda's eyebrow raised.

"Wha huh?" Gilda muttered in confusion, shaking her head. “Why? Thought this was some sleep pill or something.””

"You, um..." Fluttershy looked like she wasn't sure for a bit how to word it again. "It will cause you to be, um, disoriented." She looked more and more nervous then, like she was trying to be a cautious as she could be with her words. "Y-yeah i-it can make you c-confused so shut your eyes when you take it…” There was a pause. “Please?" Gilda just sighed from annoyance.

“Confused?” Gilda huffed. “Really? Last I checked, that’s when you start to dream.”

“It’s magic based, Gilda.” Shy added with a sudden stern tone, catching the griffon off guard. It seemed the first time the soft pony wasn’t all soft sounding to her. “And I’m serious, keep your eyes closed,” she added with a firm look. Even as the griffon’s brow raised, slightly unnerved, the pony’s serious look didn’t waver.

“Okaaaaayyy…” Gilda replied, feeling a bit uncomfortable as she scratched the floor. “Got it. Fine.”

Shy seemed to think Gilda got the message and softened up. “There’s a sleeping mask in the top drawer if you need it.” She could see that Gilda was still eying her like she was being nutty. "You will be ok if you do that, I promise," she added, trotting up to the griffon. “And if you’re still scared or need help, I’ll be in my room, so don’t worry. And we’ll see each other in the morning, ok?”

She had her hoof up, reaching at the griffon. Fluttershy looked at her usual soft concern as Gilda figured a way to respond. Gilda’s best response was a shrug and a sigh. So the pony trotted to the door, and was about to close it behind her, but stopped and looked back to to the griffon.

“Also, I hope you have a good night's sleep,” Shy finished. “Good night Gilda.” She said with that soft, kind smile of hers and closed the door.

With Fluttershy gone, Gilda muttered under her breath about how sappy this all was. She looked at the glass on the nightstand and continued to roll the pill in her claw. It was the price for a good night's sleep after all and a bitter pill to swallow too.

“Magic, eh?” Gilda muttered to herself. “Figures this is some bizarro magic medicine then.” She laid back in the bed and let out a sigh. “Take it and you won’t have to worry about nightmares when you sleep. Big woop!” she uttered.

The bed was soft though, much more comfortable than the last bed she slept in. The frills and what not were still too girly to her. But it was so soft and-

Unfortunately for her, as she pondered about these things, she began to nod off. With the pill slipping from her claw.

PreviousChapters Next