• Published 16th Jun 2015
  • 562 Views, 15 Comments

Dead Birds - Stray Dog Kane



Gilda feels like she trapped in a nightmare. Problem is, she isn't dreaming.

  • ...
3
 15
 562

PreviousChapters Next
Bad memory

Now Gilda was back in the basement, and this was going to be a long talk.

Dr. Fluttershy wasn’t at her desk, insisting on sitting next to the griffon on the couch. Not next to by way of in her chair next to, but as in on the same couch. While the closeness was intent to help Gilda feel less shaken, it still made her nervous in a new way instead.

Maybe an improvement on some scale, who knows? It didn’t matter much to the griffon feeling more than a little scared either way.

“Are you ok now?” Dr. Shy asked with concern, next to the wide eyed griffon. “Both me and Edward were worried when we saw you faint. Also, you were moving your beak a lot...like you were saying something.”

“I…I saw stuff,” Gilda replied nervously, still a bit fidgety with the pony next to her. “Guess that’s was when you and Edward realized I wasn’t all there.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” Shy asked, putting a hoof on Gilda’s wing. It was in easy access as the griffon wasn’t laying down. “What you saw then?”

“It was something out of my nightmares,” Gilda said, feeling she had drifted into a horror story and was not being particularly happy with it. “That kind of stuff that would keep you up at night. Sure did for me..”

“I see,” Fluttershy said, rubbing the wing softly and no this wasn’t helping...well ok kinda...was. “It can’t hurt you now, Gilda, you're safe here.

“Maybe I’m still in shock, I guess?” Gilda said, getting annoyed at this scene, and pondering if she should pull her wing away. “Maybe a few other things have come to light for me, but even I’m starting to think I lost it from this.”

“If Edward’s story was true though, you would have been....” Gilda could guess what Shy was about to say.

“Then why are we here, talking about it?” Gilda asked the pony as she shook her head. “I’d be dead if that’s how it went down.”

“I know, he even told me he wasn’t able to believe it...um, and he fainted when he saw you after he got help,” Fluttershy added.

“Chicken wuss….” Gilda snarked.

“Gilda…” Fluttershy said with disappointment, but thankfully the rubbing stopped.

“Sheesh,” Gilda grumbled back. “I remember him stabbing me, just like Ed said The rest...even I’m not sure on the rest.” She shivered when she recalled the vision she saw.

“Do you think that maybe you repressed it?” Dr. Shy asked tilting her head. It seemed like just then, the pony’s glasses were threatening to fall off her nose, prompting her to adjust them. “Are you able to recall anything clearly?”

“Uh…” Even Gilda could find no good ways to say she “I may have killed more than a few ponies in a fit of rage”. She simply sighed. After some pondering, she just described part of it.

“...I remember violent stuff, and I definitely remember seeing...my face….” Gilda whispered, shaking her head and shivering again. Having seen herself like some kind walking death, why did she remember looking like that?.

Fluttershy resumed trying to be supportive, rubbing the griffons back much to Gilda mounting annoyance. She really considered pushing the pony away. Anypony who would have thought she would be into soft, cuddly stuff should still be punched. Still, despite the pony rubbing a hoof on the griffon, she did give her answers.

“Edward told me a few things, and it was...graphic,” Shy said slowly. “And I can tell how this has caused you trama,” Fluttershy said softly. “I think it’s why you were in shock.”

Gilda gave the pegasus a sharp look. “You trying to say I’m the bigger wuss?!” she shouted.

“N-no, of course not,” Fluttershy said as she shook her head, countering the sharp look with a serious one. “No person should be expected to just shrug something like that off.” she said with a firm tone

“Then what?” Gilda asked back with a huff. “Something bad happens to me, then it just...what? I get to feel worse?”

“I know you want some kind of answer to it, and I wish I had one to help you through this,” Fluttershy whispered softly. The hoof now on the griffons neck caused her wings to stand on end by sheer awkwardness.

“Uh, how much detail did Ed give you?” Gilda asked, very flustered and wishing to end this sympathy speak. “And don’t touch my neck…go it?” The pegasus let out a cough, but remover her hoof.

“He said he saw Deal attack you, then he ran for help, then...he said he heard a shriek.” Fluttershy let out a sigh as even she was not wanting to talk too much about it. “He said he found you, and you were alive but...catatonic. The other ponies weren't able to get you to respond to even physical contact. And...then there were the dead ones….” Shy trailed off when she got to that point. “Let’s not go there for now, ok?”

“I remember that part, just a bit of it,” Gilda poorly hinted as she looked down. “Even Bell…”

For a moment it was quiet. Shy was likely thinking of a way to reassure the griffon, while Gilda was pondering how this fit into things.

The Snark that she saw, was this in part his doing? It had to be. A shame she remembered his warning just some time ago. Then again, what would she say? That she might be dead? Or that something was keeping her alive? Something she knew was worse than horrible.

“So, what’s gonna happen now?” Gilda finally asked nervously. “What are they going to do?”

Dr. Shy looked worried, but stayed calm. “Twilight and Celestia are trying to figure that out,” she said. “The princess is worried about what might be the reason for your condition.”

Gilda was worried too, getting locked away for any reason made her uneasy.

“But I argued that you had been ok with your treatment where you are,” Fluttershy reassured, apparently trying to keep the griffon from sulking. “You’ve gotten along well here! Kinda, more or less….” While Shy sounded like she was giving a compliment, she did remember who she was complimenting. “Still, sending you back there would do more harm than good to you. It doesn’t help that most ponies are in a bit of a hurry right now.”

“Hurry?” Gilda looked a bit confused, then remembered why, slapping her face. “Doi!” She face clawed. “Hearth’s Warming, I’ve been getting dragged around so much I…”

“I know,” Fluttershy commented, pulling the griffon claw down. “I also said that you spending it here could help also and...did you hear about and escape from Canterlot asylum?”

“A little,” Gilda replied. So help her if Shy asks how, then again the pony knew about the cake.

“An earth pony with ice magic escaped,” Shy answered back. “Now it on a state of lock-down, and I don’t want you to be put in the middle of it.”

“Uh, thanks,” Gilda replied and rubbed her neck, unsure how to answer to the sentiment. “I guess I’ll just try to stay out of trouble.”

Shy nodded. “That’s good.” While Gilda would have called it a night then, Dr. Shy had one more thing. “Gilda?”

“Yeah?” Gilda said as she was getting up.

“I’m...going to let you chose if you take your dream pill,” Fluttershy said, and must have realized that sounded a bit weird seeing as she rubbed her hooves. “I-I mean, because you’ve been worried about the effects of them on your...um... mind I think you should have a choice.”

“And if I wake up screaming?” Gilda asked the obvious question.

“Then I can help you.” Shy looked a bit nervous, even a bit red. “Maybe we could share my bed, it could help…um, right?”

Gilda just blinked, then scratched her head. “Right…” she groaned, and left the basement promptly.

So, now here Gilda was, later still. She wasn’t sure how much time had passed, rolling a pill in her claw, lying in bed awake.

She was unsure which was worse, nightmares or dreams that might also be nightmares to her? Violent horror, or kind horror? She let out a sigh as she lay in bed.

That’s when a tap was heard, and when she looked she then knew that was the trick.

“Hello, little bird,” said the Snark in a low voice behind her. While some would worry, or cry out, Gilda was quite unafraid right now.

“You again?” she said with a huff, not even turning to face the pony. “What do you want?”

“Another round for our...little game of amusement.” the Snark said, trotting into view with his red smile. “Remember?”

Gilda got up and looked him in his blackened eye coldly. “Yeah,” she said with anger. “I do.” the Snark gave a laugh.

“So, you think you figured it out, little bird?” he already knew what she was about to say, finding it funny. “What’s wrong?”

“You did something to me at the trip, what did you do to me?” Gilda demanded with a snarl, the Snark looked offended.

“Why dear, dear little bird!” he said with a shocked voice. “I merely helped your little heart keep beating, your mind from from becoming iner cold meat!” He then held her beak and smiled. “The dear, dashing fellow that you owe you little bird life to!” He tweaked her beak, leaving it sore. “An do ya forgits it, chomma!” He let out a giggle as Gilda held her sore beak.

“And those killings? GIlda said, undeterred and even hateful. “That “brain freeze”? Heck is that for?”

“Little things,” the Snark stated with a shrug. “Necessary cruelty, losses. I mean, so many ponies! Can’t we stand to lose a few now and then?” he chuckled. “And that freeze? Helps for an alibi. Even that little silly gnome god of ponykind couldn't see the whole picture.” He let out a playful sigh, despite the griffon seeing her torment being brushed aside. “Don’t you just hate it?”

“So you are a windigo?” Gilda muttered, without surprise. “And you’re messing with me for fun?”

“Guilty and guilty!” the Snark shouted annoyingly with glee. “Tell her what she’s won!” Gilda would have slapped him, provided her heart was safe to do so. “Oh, but don’t let that stop you. Go on,” he added like her read her mind.

“What?” she said, confused at the statement.

“Hit me, let it out,” the Snark answered, pointing at his muzzle. “It will be fun! It will feel good for you too!”

Gilda pifft at that. “Go hit yourself freak, I’m not interested.” She crossed her claws.

“Are you letting that butterfly take your teeth out again?” he mocked, flicking a claw in her direction. “Don’t you want to chew, or did you get all gummy like that gator?”

“So?” Gilda replied defiantly. “She’s keeping me safe from this crud, now buzz off!”

Then came the pain, with her on the floor clutching herself.

“See, I can take that little rhythm away from you,” the Snark said was contempt to her agony.
“After all, I kept it going when otherwise it would have failed.” He knelled down to look her in the eye. His blue teeth bared and white eyes glaring. “And some little pony would have been eating your guts! So, DON'T YOU DARE THINK I’LL JUST BUZZ OFF!” he shouted.

Gilda’s heart started again, with the griffon letting out a gasp. “Besides….” his tone was back to that cheerful, mocking tone again as he helped her up. “We’ve still got work to do!”

Gilda let out a cough. “What, more breaking stuff?” she gasped. She took a few more breaths as the giddly pony stood there with good, if horrible humor.

“It not a matter of just breaking stuff, but what you break...and…” he said, and gave her a cold hug, both chilling and nice. “Do excuse my little outburst, you are not the only one with a lot on their mind.” Gilda sighed in defeat.

“So what do you want from me?” she asked with a grumble. “To be some servant to you?”

“A bit,” the Snark stated, as he went to pull the rooms window open again. “But we have fun right?” The griffon crossed her arms, looking away. “While you sulk, I listen. While you ponder all this rubbish that even those little ponies can’t give a clear answer to, who do you turn for certainty?” There was a pause as Gilda just looked back. “Me! Of course!”

“Seriously?” She shook her head in disbelief.

“Ponies will abandon, they will drive to limits they decide on arbitrary, and even won’t gave a clear answer.” the Snark said. “Me? I don’t abandon my friends.” He gestured her to the window, his smile wider, even going beyond the capacity for a normal ponies muzzle. “Who can say hate abandoned you, Gilda? Even when everypony else did?”

Gilda sighed, the odd pony was right.

Then again, the Snark isn’t a normal pony. That is to say, not a pony. To make clear, his wingless body drifted out the open window.

“I guess nobody,” Gilda said, annoyed at this logic. “So what’s your two bits on Flutters and the others? If you're so smart...” she uttered back poorly.

“Even you worry they will neuter you, leave you weak,” the Snark answered simply as he floated outside. “Besides, when did you accept all that hollow niceness? Lest you forget the lie of someone being your best friend.”

“So, where we headed?” Gilda said in acceptance, and she headed to the window and readied her wings..

“The town, of course!” the Snark said with glee at the griffon’s acceptance. “And if you are a good little bird, we can get through tonight with no pony the wiser. It’s one big step to helping you with that one problem that never goes away in your mind.” He paused, his blue eyes looking into her. “And you know what that problem is, right?”

Gilda looked down and sighed. “Let’s go, we got some things to wreck.”

“There’s a good sport,” he chuckled.

PreviousChapters Next