• Published 16th Jun 2015
  • 562 Views, 15 Comments

Dead Birds - Stray Dog Kane



Gilda feels like she trapped in a nightmare. Problem is, she isn't dreaming.

  • ...
3
 15
 562

PreviousChapters Next
You all wake up in an asylum

Gilda was up with a shout and a yelp. She barely got a breath in before seeing a gray pony, a cane on his leg, looking at her oddly with black eyes. Another yelp came from her as she fell out of the bed.

After a pregnant pause, as the doctor just stood there looking expectant, Gilda caught her breath.

"Hi doc," she deadpanned back. "You make a habit of standing over your patients or something?" She held her head as she got up.

"Pardon me miss Gilda, I was just going to check on you," Doctor Larch said, attempting to apologize. "I was surprised to hear you had gone to sleep for so long. At least with your record here."

"You see why I drink coffee, dork?" the griffon snapped back to Doctor Larch, "Go report I’m just peachy for all I care. Not like I'm getting out of here soon."

She knew she was right. After she apparently took on a group of guard ponies while drunk, she had been placed in some asylum in Canterlot, far as she could tell. Then again, maybe this is what they do to people that get stuck in horrible stuff? At least it felt horrible to her, that bar fight was just one more thing to happen to her.

"You would be surprised, miss,” Larch said as he adjusted his cane and bad leg. Gilda had never seen a pony with a leg brace before Larch. “For one, you slept until lunch. The nurse who gave you that sleep aid thought you would be out of it until at least breakfast."

The doctor smiled, though seeing the griffon’s angry look make him more nervous.

"I would believe it’s due to all those nights you spend pacing in circles in the halls or your room.” He added. “You do need rest."

"Like I need a hole dug into my head," Gilda groaned. "Please tell me you refilled the coffee machine."

"We have," Dr. Larch said, making his way towards the door. "You can enjoy a cup or two as you eat lunch." He adjusted his cane again. "I also need you in my office after lunch, just a reminder. And please, enjoy the rest of your day."

He left, hobbling as he walked. How many lame pony jokes had she thought up at his expense? Gilda lost count.

She was glad he left, after nearly a month of this she wanted to strangle somepony. Then again, it could have been the dungeon with her. Her room was bare enough to be a cell, just a bed, no window, and a mirror. It was big enough for her to pace in at night, that was something at least. The griffon decided to take a look in the mirror and breathed a sigh of relief. Her face looked better than it did in that dream, that’s for sure.

If she had the energy, she would have done some cool poses. At present, she had to wonder how she looked so well despite lack of sleep. That, and not having any meat for an extended period of time. Every part of her felt exhausted with what she’d been through.

After giving up on vanity, she headed out for the commons. Outside the room was the main hallway with some nice barred windows and a bench. She stopped caring about looking outside after the first week, so she didn’t bother with more than a glance.

Gilda had lost track of time, but her perception of time seemed to be in phases.

Phase one was when she first woke up in a hospital wondering what ale-induced madness she had gotten into this time. Phase two was realizing whatever it was had her under guard for some reasons. Three, coming to the asylum, followed closely by four---rage.

She did have to back down, being strapped up was not her thing after all, and at last phase five, despair. Now she just grumbled in her bitterness and helplessness, only thing she could do. Just another lousy, miserable day for Gilda griffon. Long lost and long forgotten.

Again, her bitterness had made time easy to lose. She figured if she had ever found time again it might just get worse knowing her luck.

Gilda looked down with a grumble, like so many times before, and went down the hall to reach her goal in the common room. Tables here and there, chairs and comfy chairs, and her best friend---the coffee machine.

She ignored everything else as she poured herself a cup and downed it in a flash, and then filled it up again. It was poor, bitter, and boiling hot. She normally wouldn't drink this kind of coffee, but this stuff kept her awake and that's what counted in her mind.

"Hello, pretty bird!" said a voice behind her. Gilda’s day now felt longer. The griffon groaned with annoyance.

"I'm not in the mood, Sunshine," Gilda said as she downed her second cup.

The griffon sighed as yet another annoyance of being in the asylum was now here: Sunshine, the worlds dumbest diamond dog. From what she knew he was at that frozen mountain path her party went to. They likely rescued him by mistake.

"You was screaming. You ok?" Sunshine asked in an aloof voice. She groaned, not even turning.

"Look, if only you heard it, keep it to yourself," Gilda dismissed coldly as she put the cup back in the machine.

"They heard down the hall, pretty bird. Three ponies jumped out of chairs." was Sunshine’s response.

Gilda felt her day get even longer. Her eyes widened as she could feel the amount of laughs at her expense that could come of it. Regardless, she filled the cup again.

"Great!" Gilda declared in sarcasm, lifting the cup. "Now I bet it was real funny to them." she looked at the ponies, sitting at tables. "You enjoying this, you lame’os?" she shouted. She didn't get much of a response. Most ponies tried to ignore her, while a few just looked creeped out.

It didn't matter, they were all a bunch of losers anyway. Not even all there, not even much for conversation. After a while of her telling them to buzz off, they did. Only Sunshine stuck around, but that was due to him being dumber than the rest. Stupid dog.

As Gilda sat down at a table by herself with her coffee, she was promptly joined by Sunshine. She face-clawed.

"They having oatloaf today!" he said with enthusiasm and a goofy smile. "It's good."

"Yeah, whatever," was the Gilda’s tired response. She didn't have the energy, nor did she feel like getting the orderlies on her case by hitting him---again. "Were you just dropped on your head a lot?” He shrugged with an off noise at that comment as usual. “Why the heck is lunch so important to you?" she added.

"But it oatloaf!" Sunshine defended, with a bit of a whiny sound to his voice. "It bread, with little oat clusters, and honey." He wore a simple, stupid look of concern. "Why you no like oatloaf?"

"I’d rather have a dried fish sandwich," Gilda replied, taking a drink. "Maybe a roast pig on a spit, maybe. Or, ya know, outside this nut house?" She grit her teeth on that part. "Why doesn't this place bother you?" she growled at Sunshine.

"Cause it don't?" he responded, scratching his neck and looking partly nervous. "Came here..." he began, but she didn’t let him finish. She already knew the story he was telling.

"About the same time, I know,” Gilda moaned and she looked at her cup. “I have heard it for weeks now, so just shut up," she muttered with her eyes on the table.

"Oh, ok..." Sunshine replied and he went quiet.

Gilda drank her coffee and looked at the clock. Lunch was in a few. She waited in silence with Sunshine looking like he wished to say something. It was then a new wrinkle came to her day, with the last pony she expected showed up appeared in the commons.

"Holy, Deal?" Gilda said in a low voice. Brought to attention as well, Sunshine looked up and followed her gaze.

There, in a special uniform with rings on its sides, was a dark green pony with sharp brown eyes and a sneer. What had them both unnerved was how he looked at them. It was like he saw past them or something.

"You can eat here, but don't let us see you cause any trouble,” said the escort in armor, leading him to a table. “Deal?" the guard asked seriously.

Package Deal simply nodded quietly and sat by himself with one orderly pony standing next to him as the other left. Still smiling, he gave a brief nod to Gilda.

She gulped. “What the heck happened to him?” GIlda wondered aloud.

"Was he scary?" Sunshine asked in a low, scared voice.

Gilda felt the dog was being a child with that talk. Then again, even she felt a bit scared by Deal’s off look. Not that she’d admit that.

"We worked with a caravan," Gilda said without looking away. "I didn't even know he was here. Is he in a padded cell or what?" she asked no one, even so, Sunshine shrugged.

Last she could remember, he was telling her off for delays or some crud. Now, here he was looking like they only just let him enter the commons.

She got up and walked over. "Uh, Package Deal? Boss?” Gilda began.

His eyes lit up as she came closer. "Ah, Gilda!” Deal said as if she was expected, his creepiness leaving his features for the moment. “I've been meaning to have a word with you!" he added with a cheerful look. It was then the orderly came in, getting between Gilda and where Deal was sitting.

"Hold on you two, I'm under orders..." Soft Touch, the orderly, was about to say. But Gilda wasn’t listening to him.

"Wait, I can't talk to him?" Gilda shouted back. "What for?" She couldn't believe the mess of things. It was enough that she was stuck there, now this had come out of nowhere.

"Oh, don't mind it," Package said calmly, despite the tension growing. "They are just a bit jumpy. Things they worry about, you know. Anyway-" But the orderly cut him off.

"Gilda, just return to you table,” Soft tried to calm the griffon’s anger. “We'll explain..."

"Look my good sir!” Package Deal put his hoof on the table as she spoke. “It's a simple matter..." Package’s tone got serious sounding.

"And the heck is this?" Gilda shouted, quite tired of feeling jerked around. "You keep me with some loonies, now I can't talk to someone I know? What is your deal?!"

"Gilda, I am warning you!” Soft now pointed a hoof, pushing the griffon back. “Get back to your table or--" but he did not get to finish that sentence.

While he was shouting back to the griffon, Package Deal had got up and bit into the ponies face. He pulled a bloody chunk out of it and the orderly fell, clutching his cheek with his hooves. Soft let out a croaking, weak sound in pain.

It was then everything snapped. Gilda felt a sudden jolt and backed away from her former employer.

This wasn’t Deal, right? Or, maybe she was asleep again? Ready to start screaming as she got up again from bed, soaked with sweat. Her feathers stood on end as she felt a near palpable static coming off her former boss. It made her shiver.

Why she felt it, she didn’t get.

"You see this, Gilda?" Deal said with a new, menacing tone, looking her in the eye. His still near calm features making it worse. If it weren't for the blood on his face, he have looked like a parent, telling his child that they were in for it, not even gritting his teeth. "I've had a lot to work on after what you did to me," she kept backing away as he spoke. “Now it’s time for your punishment.”

"The heck got into you?!" Gilda said, trembling. “What’s all this about?” Despite all the times she would tell about how she could just totally cream somepony like this, she was too scared to ball her claws. They could only hold her up in fear, as any fight in her drained out in dread.

"I got a taste of you back in the hills," Deal replied, not even acknowledging her question. His calm left, now replaced with a sadistic smile. "And I want the rest of it. Now be a good chicken and get eaten!"

With that bloodied smile, he lunged forward at the paralyzed griffon. He was now on top of her, pinning her to the ground on her back. Gilda could barely keep him away as he snapped his muzzle, trying to sink his teeth in.

His new, sharp teeth into her. Why the heck did he have sharp teeth? The griffon lost it then.

"Help!” Gilda screamed as panic took over. “For the love a---somebody?! Looking at the other ponies, she could see them fleeing the scene. Others were ducking behind stuff, and one was on the floor curled into a ball and sobbing.

The orderly Soft Touch was still clutching his face, a bit of blood trickled under his hooves as he moaned. No help was coming, nopony was there for her.

Looking back was a mistake, as Package Deal’s teeth were close and about to sink in when she saw them again.

"WHAT IS YOUR DEAL?!" Gilda yelled at the vicious pony still trying to bite into her, pushing a claw against his neck to push his muzzle away. With the orderly down and the patents content to cower, she figured she would never get a answer. The griffon felt like she could cry, she didn’t want to die here. “This sucks,” she whimpered in dread.

"NO!" was a sudden shout, however it wasn’t Gilda.

With that shout from someone, a chair swung into Package Deal's head, stunning him as it splintered across his face. Using the opportunity, Gilda gave the pony a swift kick with her hind leg, knocking him off. She stumbled away a few feet, still on her back.

To her surprise, he savior was the Sunshine. The dog looked at the now-broken chair with a shaken look. It looked like he was more surprised he did that than she was.

However Package was still undeterred. "You, won't get away!" he snarled. He was getting himself up, with splinters falling off his face and his expression unwavering and cold. "I'll dig those eyes out again, then I eat your heart!"

He ignored the simpleton not far from him, which was to his mistake.

"NO!" Sunshine shouted again, with a table in his paws this time. With it, he smashed Deal into the floor. The dog growled, dropping the table and throttling the pony with his paws from on top. "LEAVE.HER.ALONE!" he roared, and with that he delivered punches from atop Deal. Practically pummeling him pulverized. Where did that come from?

Finally, somepony showed up, three orderlies worth in fact. They were in shock to the scene before them, however. Standing there in fear for a moment as Sunshine continued to pummel Package Deal into the floor, looking quite unsure how to stop the now frenzied dog.

"Sunshine!" one yelled loudly. Sunshine looked up then, his eyes filled with tears like a child told to put the cookie jar back. He got off Deal without a word and sat down on the floor, his paws across his chest.

The large dog trembled as one orderly went near him, looking like they were about to charge their horn as the other two moved to pick up what was left of Deal. Deal’s face looking as flat as the floor.

Gilda wasn't sure what was going to happen, but what did surprise her

“Hey, hey,” said the formerly downed Soft Touch. He was now up again, with a bit of bandage on his bite wound. “I got this, so ease up. He’s as scared as you are.”

The unicorn orderly shrugged, but still looked tense like he doubted it would work. Still, the pony Deal had took a bite out of seemed confident.

"Shhh,” Touch said as he trotted over to the shaken Sunshine. “It's ok, shhh." he calmly put a hoof on the dog’s shoulder, calling his attention. "I just need to take you to your room now, ok?" the blubbering dog nodded and Soft helped him up. "You can have your lunch there, ok? After you’ve had time to calm down." Sunshine whimpered a little as he was carted off with no resistance.

It looked all sad and pathetic to Gilda, the griffon just shook her head and groaned.

"I needed this today?" she muttered to herself. "First I'm stuck here, and now this?" She held her claw to her head as she mulled on the current trainwreck things were at.

From Dash dropping her, to her drinking, to the caravan job, to an asylum, to her old boss trying to eat her. Equestria itself wanted her for a chew toy for the rest of her life. Like some power decided she deserved it, forever. One heck of a long time that’s for sure.

"Uh, pretty, er, Gilda?" Gilda looked up to see a patent, a shaky teal earth pony with trembling knees, trotting over to the griffon nervously. "Are you alright?” she asked. “T-that pony, h-he just snapped and..." But Gilda gave a dismissive wave back.

"I noticed, alright?" Gilda growled back angrily to the trembling pony, causing her to jump back. "I don't know why he did, so just buzz off!"

The griffon resumed her brooding as the pony looked a little hurt, now trotting back to its herd. In the meantime Gilda got off the floor and got back to her chair at her table. Alone as usual, which she was more comfortable with.

It didn't matter to her, despite the pony's hurt feelings, at least that pony's best friend didn't turn on her. Let alone the whole herd doing so too.

Gilda’s cup was empty now, but that didn't matter much now seeing as she was now wide awake from what just happened. To her, it seemed now she was always in a nightmare.

Lunch was delayed for about half an hour, but that didn't matter much to her at this point.

PreviousChapters Next