• Published 11th Jun 2015
  • 1,228 Views, 20 Comments

Three Sirens and a Sunset - Shadowsnake89



A post Rainbow Rocks adventure involving the sirens, a washout and a king. My first story originally posted on fanfiction.net.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,228

Chapter 4

“Are you certain that's what happened?” Adagio asks Aria as the two talk inside the old opera house.

Aria rolls her eyes and recounts the event. “Well let's see. She opened her mouth to sing and it didn't sound like a thousand angry cats clawing at a chalk board. So yeah, I'm pretty sure.”

Before Adagio can respond the black cloud of Sombra appears before her. “We must speak.” He says as Aria stands awaiting her response. “Give me a moment won't you. I need to take this call.” Her sister gives a raised eyebrow as she communicates with the king. “Yes.”

“We draw near to our destination but I have sensed something from your side of the portal. An energy that I have felt once before, an energy that could ruin everything we are working for.”

Adagio begins to think for a moment before realizing it. “That's it! My sister Sonata had her powers returned without her pendent somehow.” She exclaims as she turns to Aria who is still giving her odd looks. “Was there anything different about Sonata's voice, anything at all?”

“Well she sounded the same but something was off about it. I couldn't sense any negative energy being absorbed. In fact, the energy inside her didn't feel like it did when we had our pendents.”

Adagio turns again back to the cloud that only she can see and continues the conversation. “Sonata's power must have been what you sensed.”

“I do not know how it is possible but this Sonata has become a very real threat to our plan. If we are to proceed she must be dealt with.”

“I'll take care of it. She won't be a problem for much longer.” She kneels before him as the cloud disappears once more. “We need to get Sonata back, and fast.”

“I'm already on it. She wants me to meet with the Rainbooms and be 'friends' with them. I can be there, work Sonata a bit and get back here in time for the plan to go off without a hitch.” Adagio is silently impressed that Aria is on top of things.

“We'll also have to see if we can figure out what allows them to get from Equestria and back and also where we can find the portal.”

“Don't worry. Something tells me if they made the mistake of telling the secret to someone as ditzy as Sonata it won't stay secret for long. Anyway I'd better get going. She's expecting me to be on time. I'm sure she's super excited.”

Canterlot High
“How is that possible? They shouldn't be able to sing at all without those pendents.” Sunset asks as she is stunned to hear what occurred the night before. She and the other Rainbooms sit at a table in the library as they discuss what should be done now.

“I think we should definitely let Twilight know about this. She might know of something that can prevent them from getting their powers back.” Rainbow Dash suggests.

“I don't know about all that. Something seemed different last night. It wasn't like before Rainbow Dash. Her singing didn't whip the crowd into a frenzy, it seemed like everyone was enjoying her song, like it wasn't dark at all.” Rarity comes to the siren's defense, having been an eye witness to the phenomenon.

“Yeah, if anything I'd say it made everybody happy.” chimes Pinkie Pie.

Dash stops to take a look around. “Where is she anyway?”

“She said something about having a huge surprise for all of us before she left this morning. I hope it's a triple layer chocolate cake with sprinkles.” Pinkie happily licks her lips in anticipation. She soon sees Sonata coming through the doors with a surprise guest. “Or it could just be her bringing her sister Aria.” The others turn in shock as the smiling siren walks alongside her sister, who is wearing her signature scowl.

“Hey guys. I'd like you to meet Aria Blaze, my sister. She wants to hang out with us too. Isn't that great?”

“Terrific.” Rainbow says sarcastically.

“Yeah, I'm sure we'll have a great time.” Aria retorts, rolling her eyes.

Pinkie jumps up excitedly, rapidly shaking Aria's hand. “It's super duper great to meet you. Sonata's told me so much about you.”

Aria pulls her hand back as Sunset walks over to greet her. “Hey, so I know we didn't exactly get off to the best start but I hope we can forget about that and be friends.”

“Nothing would make me happier.” Aria says with a smirk.

Ever the optimist, Sonata jumps in front again. “Okay so what do you guys have planned?”

“Well I have soccer practice. I guess you guys could come with me.” Rainbow Dash suggests.

“Oh boy, this is gonna be so cool. Rainbow Dash is like the greatest athlete in all of Canterlot High.”

“I'll try to contain my joy.” Aria responds in her usual deadpan manner.

About an hour later the other girls sit quietly at the coffee shop. “I wonder how things are going.” Applejack asks as she sips her drink. While they converse, Sunset Shimmer writes in her journal. “Writing to Twilight?”

“Yeah, I'm sure she won't believe what's going on right now.”

“I know what you mean. I'm right here and I don't believe it.”

“I guess you were right Sunset. All they needed was for someone to give them a chance.” Fluttershy says, quietly biting into a muffin.

“That's the magic of friendship for you. It can make the impossible happen.” As Sunset finishes writing the group see Rainbow Dash dragging herself in, her hair a mess and her clothing dirtier then usual. Looking none to pleased she plops into the open spot in the booth, putting her forehead against the tabletop. “It wasn't that bad was it?”

“Let's just say I've never seen soccer turned into a full contact sport. Soarin and Fleetfoot may never play again. Well maybe not never again, but they definitely got roughed up pretty bad. To her credit, Aria did score six goals, but still. I think we need another approach.” Sonata and Aria walk in a few moments later.

“Well that was dull.” She says with her arms folded.

“Still pretty cool. You knocked out more players with the ball than anyone on the other team. Or maybe that's tennis?” Sonata says as she continues thinking.

Aria sighs in frustration. “Ugh, you're the worst Sonata. I'm just gonna go.”

“No wait. We still have a few days, remember? I'm sure we can find something you'll like.” Sonata looks around the table. “Fluttershy! Maybe she could help you at the animal shelter.”

“Oh, I'm not so sure about...” Fluttershy quietly attempts to protest only to be cutoff.

“That's sounds like a great idea. I'm helping out too so we could all work together.” Sunset recommends. Fluttershy tries one more time to intercede only to be cutoff yet again.

“Great it's all settled then. We'll meet you girls then.”

The next day the girls meet at the town animal shelter. “Hey girls. All ready to get started?” The two sirens are greeted by Sunset as she stands out front.

“Sure are. Right Aria?” Sonata says, bouncing around with Aria giving an aloof nod.

“Okay, well Fluttershy is waiting for us. She'll give everyone their assignments once we're inside.” The group head into the white building where the sounds of birds, dogs, cats and every form of small creature can be heard. As they walk down the main hall the three spot a small furry animal rushing down the hall towards them. The black and white furred animal swiftly runs up Aria's leg. She attempts to grab a hold of it, only for the furry creature to tunnel into her jacket, sticking its small head out.

Fluttershy rushes down the hall toward them. “Oh dear, oh my. Oh, I'm so sorry about that. Ticki, come out of there right now mister.” The elongated animal jumps out and into the girls arms.

Aria rubs the back of her head, shaking off any loose fur that might remain. “That thing better not have rabbis.” She squints at the creature who simply looks back with it's small, crystal blue eyes.

“Don't worry, ferrets are very clean and friendly. Ticki here just likes to burrow.”

“We're all ready for our assignments Fluttershy.” Sunset says as she and Sonata do a pretend salute.

“Alright follow me.” Still holding onto the ferret, Fluttershy leads the girls to their respective assignments. She pairs Sonata and Sunset together with the task of letting all the kittens out in the play room to get some exercise. “Okay so today we need to feed all the birds in the aviary.”

“Feeding birds? Sounds like a real thrill.” Aria roles her eyes during her sarcastic comment.

Not picking up on it Fluttrshy responds happily. “Oh it is. In fact, its one of my favorite activities. Here we are.” She opens the door as Aria's eyes widen in amazement at the sheer number of large cages in the room, each housing no fewer than thirty birds as they fly around. “Now all we need to do is get the bags of bird seed and some water and fill everyone's trays.”

“This is the worst.” Aria says under her breath.

While Aria and Fluttershy are busy doing their assignment, the other two are happily working their assignment with the kittens. “So Sonata, how are you enjoying yourself?” Sunset asks the girl who is engrossed in playing with a kitten that is rolled on it's back, swiping at her finger.

“This is great. I've never had this much fun in my life and that's pretty long. I hope Aria is having as much fun as we are.”

“You really care about her don't you?”

“Well yeah, I mean, she's my sister. We've been together for as long as I can remember. But sometimes she does call me names and pushes me around and it hurts my feelings.”

“Have you ever told her that?”

Sonata pauses for a moment before standing up. “No. Adagio and Aria never took me serious enough to listen to what I had to say. I guess I've always been an embarrassment to them.”

“Maybe if you just sat Aria down and talked to her she might understand how you feel. You'll never know if you don't try. We would have never known we could be friends if Pinkie hadn't taken the initiative to approach you.”

“I think about it. Thanks Sunset.”

“No problem.” The two hug as one of the kittens perches itself on Sonata's head, causing the two girls to laugh.

Meanwhile, Aria is struggling with her task. She'd already brought the heavy bags of seed to the room but was having a hard time getting the birds to settle down to feed them properly. “Now Aria be careful they get frightened very easily.” Fluttershy says with Ticki perched on her shoulder, attempting to instruct the girl who simply puts a whole back of seed over her shoulder , attempting to throw the entire thing in the cage first.

“I've got this.” She says confidently. As she throws the bag in the birds panic, flying every which way until they force their way out of the cage, causing a flurry. As they try to escape they bump into more cages, accidentally unlocking them, allowing the other birds to swarm the room as well.

“Oh no, Oh my. Please everyone, back to your cages.” Fluttershy pleads.

“Come here you. Get back in there.” Aria tries to forcibly grab each bird with no success. As she struggles she bumps against the table that the heavy bags of seed have been stacked on, causing them to teeter. Ticki jumps into action, leaping on Aria's back and pulling on her hair, which causes her to stumble out of the way of the falling bags. She looks over at the burst bags and imagines what could have happened had she still been standing there. “Um, thanks.” She says as the ferret licks her face. After a long struggle the two girls finally manage to get the birds to settle down and back into their enclosures. Sitting on the floor the two look at each other. “ Next time maybe we will do it your way.” She picks a feather out of Fluttershy's hair and she finds herself sharing a laugh with the girl as Ticki climbs on top of her head.

“I think he really likes you.”

“He's not so bad for a little furry guy.” Aria's eyes seem to soften for the first time that she can remember and she rubs the ferret on his head.

“We have so many animals here that need a home, it would just warm my heart to know that this little guy found a good one.”

Aria stops for a moment, holding the ferret in her arms. “What do you say little guy?” He makes a few squeaks then nestles himself in Aria's lap.

“I don't speak ferret but I think that was a yes.” The two finish cleaning as Sunset and Sonata walk in.

“So how did things go?” Sunset inquires.

The two trade stares for a moment before Fluttershy answers.“Perfectly.”

The group head out for home with Sonata as excited as ever. “This is sure to make one interesting letter to Twilight.”

“Letter?” Aria asks. She remembered the girl but hadn't seen her since the battle of the bands.

“Yes, ever since Twilight went back to Equestria Sunset writes her letters through her journal. She can even come and go when she wants to.”

“She can go back and forth from Equestria? Pretty cool.” Aria tries to play it off as no big deal.

“Well Aria, did you have fun?” Sonata asks with a huge smile.

“I'll admit, I didn't have a horrible time.”

“That's good enough for me. Same time tomorrow?”

“Wouldn't miss it little sister.” She playfully rubs Sonata's head before heading off on her own. After getting back to the opera house she reports what she's found out to Adagio.

“Are you...okay?” Adagio asks. “Because you seem to be smiling more than usual.”

Aria panics a bit, embarrassed to admit that she actually enjoyed her time with the others. “No reason, just really glad we'll be getting our powers back soon.”

Adagio dismisses her suspicion and gets right back to the matter at hand. “Yes, especially with what you've told me. Once we have that book we can trick Twilight Sparkle into opening the portal and let King Sombra through. Good job Aria.”

“No problem. Now if you'll excuse me I've got a big day tomorrow. I'm helping Sonata and Fluttershy with the hamsters.” This response causes Adagio to give her a raised eyebrow.

“What?”

“Oh nothing. Its just, for a second there I thought you might actually be making friends with the Rainbooms. I'm wrong of course, aren't I?”

“Well no duh Adagio. I just need them to trust me. And once I'm sure they do one-hundred percent I'll get you that book. Don't worry I've got this, but I need to make sure Sonata will be on board with it.”

Adagio puts a hand on her sister's shoulder. “I'm sorry, you're right. We agreed we're a team and I can't forget that. I trust you Aria. Now I need to go and get this news to Sombra so you'd better get some sleep.” As she turns to walk away she hears a squeak and turns back to Aria.

“Sorry, a little dusty in here.” Aria says rubbing her nose. As her sister leaves, Ticki sticks his head out from her jacket, squeaking again. “I'll tell her tomorrow, I promise.”