• Published 11th Jun 2015
  • 1,229 Views, 20 Comments

Three Sirens and a Sunset - Shadowsnake89



A post Rainbow Rocks adventure involving the sirens, a washout and a king. My first story originally posted on fanfiction.net.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,229

Chapter 3

“Okay, so thanks to Pinkie Pie we now have a siren as a hanger on.” Rainbow Dash says as the group contemplate on what to do with Sonata as they meet in the dressing room behind the stage of the auditorium.

“You're welcome. Just trying to be of service.” Pinkie says playfully before taking her seat. Meanwhile, Sonata sits on a chair in the hall, playfully kicking her feet.

Applejack sighs as they consider their options. “I think we need to ask if we can trust her after what the Dazzlings tried to do to everyone at Canterlot High. I mean if we hadn't stopped them they could have taken over the world or somethin'.”

“But didn't you see what happened? How sad and alone she was. We've all been there and I know I wouldn't want to be like that again.” Fluttershy chimes in as the others begin to think.

“Fluttershy does have a point. I was no picnic to deal with before you all helped me.” Sunset says she sits on a table. “Besides, she doesn't have any power and she doesn't seem to be as bad as the others.”

“What are you saying? That we should just welcome her in with open arms after what they've done?” Rarity asks, sitting with her arms folded.

“I'm saying that Twilight took a chance on me. Why can't we all do the same for someone who definitely needs some friends right now?”

“I suppose you're right.”

“Yeah, I guess the least we could do is give her a chance.” Applejack says in agreement. “Anybody have any ideas?”

Pinkie instantly moves over to Rarity, putting her arm around her shoulder. “Just leave it to us.” she says confidently with the purple haired girl clearly confused. “What?”

“Now if you'll excuse us we have a party to plan.” Pinkie excitedly heads into the hall, dragging Rarity along as she meets up with Sonata. “Do we have good news for you. We're putting up decorations for the Going Green Day Festival and we want you to help.”

Sonata looks curiously as she slowly pieces it together. “You want my help? Weird, no one ever want's my help. Every time I try Arias all like: Your the worst.”

“Well this is gonna be the best. Come on, it'll be fun.” Sonata takes Pinkie's free hand and like a flash the three race off to get started. The trio soon arrive at the soccer pitch as a few others are bringing some of the supplies for the festival. Sonata and Rarity take a second to regain their balance as their heads are still spinning while Pinkie takes a second to admire the area, taking in a deep breath. “Well here we are.”

“Pinkie, next time can you please warn us before you do that.” Rarity says as she straightens her clothes and regaining her composure. While the two converse about how to start setting up, Sonata takes the opportunity to look around. As she turns to walk she accidentally bumps into three younger girls, the lead of which, a girl with violet colored hair falls to the ground.

“Oh sorry. Here let me help you.” Sonata says as she offers the girl a hand up.

“Uh, no problem.” The girl takes her hand, albeit hesitantly as her friends come up behind her.

“Hey I remember you guys from the battle of the bands. The Crusaders, right?”

The three look hesitantly at each other, a bit nervous around the girl. “Yeah that's us.”

“You were amazing at the show. I loved your outfits and that song was pretty catchy too.” Sonata says excitedly as the three put on a surprised smile.

“You really thought it was good?” The red haired girl among them says.

“Incredible. You guys totally would have won if it hadn't been for us using our....mmmm.” Before she can finish Rarity races over, covering her mouth.

“Oh Sweetie Belle, I see you and the others have met Sonata.”

“Hey big sis.” The girl with long two toned purple hair greets her.

“Et'slay otnay alktay aboutway irenssay okayway.” Rarity whispers to Sonata to keep her from mentioning what went down in the finals.

Sonata stands there for a moment with her eyes crossed. “You talk funny.” She says, turning her attentions back to the three girls as Rarity lets out a sigh. “I'm Sonata Dusk.”

“I'm Sweetie Belle.”

“Apple Bloom.” The red head says.

“Scootaloo.” Says the girl she knocked down. “You helping out with the decorations too?”

“Sure am.” Sonata says confidently.

“Cool, you should totally hang with us. We've been working on some new songs for next year and we could really use some input.” Sonata goes off with the three to help set up and by the evening everything is set up for the event.

“Everything looks just perfect. Good work everyone.” Rarity congratulates all the volunteers who helped out as the festivities begin. “I have to admit Sonata your ideas for arranging the decorations were pure genius.”

The blue haired girl pops up from behind Pinkie Pie a few feet away blowing a kazoo. “You really think so?”

“Oh certainly. Everyone is simply in love with them.”

“Yeah good call Sonata.” Pinkie says ecstatically as she and Sonata do an odd dance with hand slaps and spins before doing a final up and down handshake. “Best best friend handshake ever!”

“I know right? This was the best time I've ever had you guys. Thanks so much for letting me help. Adagio and Aria never let me do anything. They always made fun of me and called me names.”

“They sound like real meanies to me.” Pinkie says with a serious look on her face.

“I guess. But even after all the times they called me dumb or said I messed up we always fix them and keep going.” She looks down at the ground as Rarity and Pinkie put their arms around her.

“Believe me I know how you feel. Believe it or not Sweetie Belle and I can have our moments. But the good thing about being sisters is even when you have problems you can work it out by just talking about the problems you have.” As the two continue to comfort her the Crusaders return, running excitedly, Scootaloo holding a stack of papers.

“Sonata, Sonata! We've been looking for you. Sweetie Belle wrote a great rock opera.”

“And we wrote a part especially for you.” They hand her the sheets with her part as she looks quite surprised.

“Oh, that's really nice of you girls but I don't think I can.” She says as she knows what will happen if she even attempts to sing.

“Please, you'll be great.” Sweetie Belle gives her puppy dog eyes.

Not wanting to disappoint the girls and despite knowing she'll do just that she takes in a deep breath and begins to sing the lines. The words begin to flow from her lips as Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Sonata herself notices that her voice sounds nothing like it did after the battle of the bands. A soft, sweet melody comes from her mouth as she begins to perk up, many around her coming to see the source of the voice. As she finishes Sonata looks up, noticing all the people around and begins to smile nervously.

“That...was...awesome!” Scootaloo says as she and the others cheer for her.

“Oh, thanks everybody.” Sonata says brushing her hair from her face. She begins to walk with Rarity and Pinkie as they talk about what just happened. “I don't get. I could only sing that well when I had my pendent.”

“We should let Sunset know. Maybe she might know something about it.” Rarity says as she gets back to managing the festivities.

“Come on Sonata, there's still so much to do. Oh and don't worry about tonight, you can stay over at my place.” Pinkie says excitedly.

“You sure it will be okay? I don't want to get you in trouble.”

“My family has a guest room we never use. I can ask my dad if you can have that since you don't have a place to stay.”

“Thanks Pinkie.” The two share a friendly hug. “Oh forgot my festival pin back at the helper's station. Be right back.” Sonata makes her way over to the station and grabs the green recycling button, pinning it on.

“So it's true. You're hanging with the Rainbooms.” Sonata turns to see Aria Blaze glaring at her from a few feet away.

“Yeah we've having a great time. They let me help with all the decorations.” She dashes over to one of the stands. “See these streamers? My idea.” She than moves over to a game booth. “Earthworm racing. My idea.” She looks down at three of the creatures on the starting line. “Go Legless Wonder.” She then pops up behind Aria blowing her kazoo. “Environmentally friendly recycled plastic kazoos. My idea.”

“Yeah great. Now come on.” Aria states, clearly not impressed with her sisters achievements.

“Where?”

“Adagio wants us to come back with her. She knows some guy from Equestria who can get us our abilities back and we all need to be there to make it work.”

“But I can already sing again.”

“What?” This statement catches Aria completely by surprise, even more so as Sonata displays her recovered abilities. She rushes to Sonata, grabbing her by the shoulders. “How did you do that?”

“Aria you're hurting me.” Aria releases her grip and backs off. “I don't know how I did it I was just having fun with my friends.”

“Friends?” She scoffs. “What are you talking about? We don't have time for this Sonata. I'm your older sister and I said lets go.” She tries to take her by the hand only for Sonata to slip away.

“Or, you could come and hang with us too.” The younger says cheerfully.

“And why would I do that?”

“Because it would be a lot of fun.” Aria simply crosses her arms. “Just give it a chance. I promise you won't be sorry. And if you haven't had a great time by the end of the week I pinkie promise I'll come with you.” Sonata crosses her heart and places her hand over her right eye with Aria giving her a bizarre look before sighing.

“Alright, deal.” Aria says to her.

“Do you pinkie promise?”

“Don't push it.”

Equestria

While on their journey to Ponyville, the three newly christened Shadowbolts converse amongst themselves regarding their new forms as they and Lightning Dust soar through the sky. “How can you not like the new duds Double Down?” Boogie Night asks.

“I mean don't get me wrong. I like the wings and all but what am I going to tell Maud. She fell in love with a unicorn not a Pegasus.” Double Down pulls out a photo of a gray colored mare with a straight violet mane.

“Maud? As in Maud Pie? You're still in love with that pony from the rock farm?” Cut Off asks.

“Why, what's wrong with that?”

“Nothing. It's just that she always came off as a little...different.”

“That's what makes her special. She's not like everypony else. The way she talks, her passion, and the way she can instantly identify every class of rock in a single glance, makes me weak in the knees.”

Boogie rolls his eyes. “It's official. I need new friends. Well at least on the bright side we won't have to be subjected to demeaning jobs like outpost duty anymore.”

As they fly the horn of Sombra begins to glow furiously as he cries out to Lightning Dust, as if in pain. “Take her down for a landing boys.” She orders as the three comply. “Is something wrong King Sombra?”

“I sense...a disturbance. I cannot explain it but I fear something may be amiss in this other world. We must hurry to our destination. I will make contact with this Adagio Dazzle in the meantime.”

“You heard him Shadowbolts.” Dust says as the three look at one another.

“Um, actually we didn't. From what I can gather you're the only one who can hear King Sombra.” Cut Off says as the others nod in agreement.

“Get moving!” She shouts as the three quickly take off toward Ponyville again with Lightning Dust prodding them from behind.