• Published 11th Jul 2015
  • 2,604 Views, 241 Comments

Marked - Eisen



Twilight begins Investigating Cutie Marks, only to find out more than she ever wanted to know.

  • ...
12
 241
 2,604

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2: Catalyst

Princess Celestia sat calmly on the balcony of her tower, smiling as the wind blew through her white coat, and lightly moved her naturally flowing iridescent mane. The balcony itself overlooked Canterlot, as well as much of Equestria below, and the view was particularly favored by the monarch, who preferred to keep a watchful and protective eye on her kingdom. Often she would come here to relax, or to just watch life down below whenever she could. She always found it a comfort to look down and be able to see her subjects, and she enjoyed watching some of the simple daily activities of the locals. However, today she sat there for a different reason. Today, Celestia patiently awaited the arrival of her former student, the now "Princess of Friendship," Twilight Sparkle.

A light smile crept upon her face as she remembered the day Twilight became a princess. Celestia was so proud when her student reached her full potential and ascended to become an Alicorn, but mixed with the pride was a tinge of almost parental sadness, for it was no longer her duty to guide her, but rather serve Equestria along side her. She wouldn't say it out loud, but for that very reason, she was delighted to see Twilight's letter last night, as it indicated she had something important to ask, meaning she could once again help guide her former student. The princess did find it a bit odd that the letter was so cryptic, not saying exactly what it was she wanted to ask, but any chance to see Twilight in person again was welcomed. So, when she heard the Canterlot train from Ponyville would be arriving sometime soon, she headed straight up to the tower to wait, as the letter specified.

Eventually, the door in the tower's small main room opened, and Twilight trotted in slowly, and was met with a warm smile from her former mentor. Celestia stood and trotted over, giving a respectful bow as she stood under the open archway to the balcony. Twilight returned the formality, happily smiling as they both finished their bows. "Princess Twilight, it is good to see you again," Celestia said calmly, with a smile still upon her face.

"Thank you for meeting with me princess, I know you must be very busy with all your duties, meetings, letters, organization--" She stopped when Celestia raised a hoof with a slight snicker.

"It was no problem at all, Twilight," Celestia stated with a slight chuckle before Twilight had a chance to continue. "Now, what was it that you wanted to ask me?" She questioned Twilight, curious about what would be important enough to warrant being asked in person.

Twilight cleared her throat, a blush fading from her face from the cutoff as she tried to look as serious as she could. She sighed, still slightly unsure of herself, given the odd nature of the question. "Well, princess, I wanted to ask you if you knew where... Cutie Marks come from?" Twilight inquired nervously, but very clearly.

Celestia was stunned, but tried to keep her face calm, which she did for the most part, although she did seem subtly flatter than usual. When reading the letter she had expected a question about royal duties, or about the map, or maybe even a friendship question, but not where Cutie Marks came from.

"Princess? do you know?" Twilight asked, cocking her head to the side curiously. She tried not to dwell on the long pause, but couldn't help but wonder if she had just unintentionally said something wrong.

"No." Celestia said in a very curt manner, with no further comment.

"Oh. I was hoping if anypony knew, it would be you..." Twilight trailed off, looking at the floor in disappointment. She began to think that the trail might have gone cold.

"Why do you ask?" Celestia suddenly asked her, drawing Twilight's gaze back up to meet Celestia's.

"Huh? Well... I was asked where cutie marks came from by one of the kids at the Ponyville school when I went to give a presentation, and I didn't have an answer," Twilight responded, a little confused as to her interrogative tone.

This was quickly followed by another question from Celestia. "Do you remember which child?"

This unusual question warranted a short "Huh?" from Twilight. Celestia repeated the question, with a hint of sternness this time. "I didn't get a name... And they were somewhere in the back of the class so no, I don't know who asked. They thought for some reason that, because I was a princess, I made Marks," Twilight stammered out. She had never seen the princess act like this before... It was unsettling to say the least.

Celestia lightly sighed and turned away. Twilight mulled over her behavior. After she had asked where marks came from, Celestia still had her calm tone, but it was different, less inviting. "I'm sorry, is that a touchy subject?" Twilight apologized.

"No, not at all!" Celestia stated, turning around. "But you see, Cutie Marks are just a part of Equestria, no need to question them," she explained. It was still in a calm tone, but the look on Celestia's face made it seem more like a precaution than a statement.

Twilight nodded. "Of course, how silly of me," she said, smiling, all the while noting Celestia's shift in behavior. Now Twilight knew something was off. Throughout her apprenticeship, Celestia had always encouraged Twilight to learn as much as possible, so to turn around and discourage investigation? It was highly irregular.

Celestia sighed silently at Twilight's words. "Just don't worry about it, my faithful student... Or should I say, princess Twilight," Celestia said with a smile, drawing attention to Twilight's change in title.

Twilight was still concerned, or at the very least confused, but happily bowed again to her mentor, who returned the gesture as before.

Just as the princesses finished their bows, a royal guard came up and opened the door. "Your highness? Mr. Reach has arrived," the guard stated formally.

"Ah, our meeting today! Of course, send him up. And please escort princess Twilight down as well," Celestia instructed with a calm smile, waving once more at Twilight before they left through the large doors.

Celestia sat once again on the balcony, overlooking the railing to look upon Equestria below. A sigh escaped her lips as she closed her eyes, mulling over the previous discussion briefly before putting on her typical calm expression. She had a meeting to host.

PreviousChapters Next