• Published 11th Jul 2015
  • 2,604 Views, 241 Comments

Marked - Eisen



Twilight begins Investigating Cutie Marks, only to find out more than she ever wanted to know.

  • ...
12
 241
 2,604

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: Among Wolves

Twilight approached the jail calmly and cooly, making sure she had everything she needed. She paused about a block away and gave her saddlebag one last test wiggle, and everything felt in place, everything was ready.

This shifting of the weight brought to her attention just how far she'd come. When she had first placed the saddlebag on her back, it had been light, barely noticeable, maybe some papers or two, but otherwise not much there. At this point however, it was full. Scrolls with all her various notes and theories, money, the book Stamper had given her, bandages... and yet, she hadn't noticed the big difference until now. She could hardly look at it, given that lifting up the cloak too far ran the risk of showing her wings, but she felt it.

Twilight was still a block away when she thought about the whole thing. For the very first time through the whole ordeal, thoughts of giving up finally crept in. This isn't even about Cutie Marks anymore... what if we just turned ourselves in? We're not a criminal, we're not being hunted like a criminal, so they clearly don't aim to actually hurt us...

She looked to a local bulletin board nearby to see the smiling face of princess Twilight Sparkle looking back at her, and in a crystalline window beside it, she saw the yellow face of Tara Writer. It was far more worn, more somber. Is it all really worth it...?

Something clicked inside her at this thought, though she couldn't quite place what. Whatever it may have been, the face in the window reflection seemed to solidify. The somberness turned to pure determination. Yes. We're right, it's not even about Cutie Marks anymore. It's about potentially saving lives. This new fire took root deep in her chest, and with one more defiant look at the smiling visage of the purple princess, the real Twilight pushed on to the jail, her plan ready to unfurl with newfound determination.




She waited in the lobby as two ponies were released from from the back. "About time!" one said in a familiar voice. Twilight smirked as she waited for them to pass by. Gray Gravel... Let's hope your skills are just as sharp as your tongue. Ruby Crystal had on a look of utter apathy as expected, but something was a little different. She was looking at the ground a little more, her gait slightly slower than Gravel's.

After they exited. Twilight walked outside calmly, looking at the two admiring their freedom... well, Gray was at least. "Free at last! About time they let us outa there," he said aloud, earning a sigh of acknowledgement from Ruby.

"Feeling good to be out I see?" Twilight asked, trotting up next to them.

Gravel looked at the strange yellow pony with an expression of confusion, asking "What do you care lady?"

"I believe I at least get to ask your condition, since I just dropped 100 bits on you two," she responded slyly. Twilight had to stifle a short chuckle, because in her new accent, that phrase sounded much cooler than it would have normally.

Ruby and Gravel both looked at each other with utter confusion, then they simultaneously looked back at her, Gravel leaning in slightly, and Ruby tilting her head just a bit. "You paid our bail? Like, why?" he inquired.

"I need two ponies of your... particular talents. It's for a job of great importance," Twilight offered up, hoping they would jump at it, but unfortunately for her, that backfired.

Ruby looked down and Gray got a serious expression on his face, shaking his head. "No way. Last time I listened to somebody OTHER than Gray Gravel, we ended up getting screwed, and a buddy got killed. No deal," he said, Ruby also shaking her head to agree with him.

Needless to say, it was Twilight's turn to be confused. "Wait, how do you know someone got killed?"

Ruby spoke up for the first time today, her eyes still looking to the ground. "The guards in the jail talk, you know. We heard they found our friend's body in a fire of unknown origin."

"So we ain't doin' anything! Not for all the money in the world, no way, no how!" Gravel said sternly, his head shaking for emphasis.

Twilight was thrown off a bit, but she had one last trick up her sleeve, or more specifically, in her bag. She slowly unzipped it and pulled something small and shiny out, sealing it up afterwards. She held the object in front of her, catching Gravel's eye, who nudged Ruby. When her eyes looked upon it, they widened like saucers, and there was silence.

On the way here, Twilight had trotted to the general area where the hideout had been, to find the area swarming with guards. Now, she could turn herself invisible for very short periods of time, and so she did. Using this ability, she managed to sift through the ashes of a former bedroom and find a shiny crystal object unscathed: Ruby's necklace.

Ruby finally spoke, and in a voice barely controlled, she asked directly, "where did you get that?" without ever looking away from it.

"The fire didn't kill Arrow. I'm looking for whoever's truly responsible for his death," Twilight said, calmly, firmly.

Ruby looked up into her eyes, her own eyes somewhat red, watery. "You're bluffing! You didn't even KNOW him!" Ruby shouted, her knees shaking slightly.

Twilight calmly replied. "Arrow liked you too, Ruby, he was a good guy. I only want to know the truth... so did he. But your grey pal made sure that didn't happen. I'll need your help of we're going to find out who he worked for."

There was a very tense moment where their eyes were locked, and Gravel stared intently at her face. They sensed that Twilight was telling the truth, and after looking to Ruby once more, he spoke up.

"...The guards did mention that that pegasus was in the wreckage too. So, look. Normally, I'd totally say no but... Arrow was a good kid. Not as tough but he gave us all some good laughs so... If you're sayin' what I think you're sayin', and this grey guy did him in... I wanna know who put him up to it. ...I'm in."

Ruby slowly took the necklace and put it on, swallowing hard and nodding, extending her hoof. Gravel followed, and all three shook hooves on the deal. Justice would be served, for Arrow.

PreviousChapters Next