• Published 27th Apr 2015
  • 3,795 Views, 126 Comments

Equal Equestria Enlightenment - stupidhand14



The alternate story of if Starlight Glimmer was a bit smarter... and less of a fool in the end. This is the story of the possible future, starting from when everypony did not turn against her.

  • ...
13
 126
 3,795

Chapter 7: Preparations

Starlight Glimmer's Diary Day 396

After some thinking, I came up with a plan to get rid of some of the... obstacles. Truth be told, the village wasn't the only part of our community. There were a few ponies who would be chopping wood, some more would be mining, and still others would be farming, about a day or two away from the town.

My solution to stop anypony from making mistakes, especially the new friends, is to send them as messengers to these areas. I decided to visit Rarity's home first.

After the standard pleasantries between ponies of charm, I was invited into her home. She had made a few bits since the last time I had visited, and actually had a few soft cushions for us to sit on while we chatted.

"So, was this visit just for my company, or did you have something in mind?" Rarity asked as she was making more dresses.

"While I do love your company, Rarity, I do have a favor to ask," I admitted to her.

"Whatever is it?"

"I need some ponies to go out to the farms to tell the farmponies to return, as well as collect whatever supplies they can before the... festivities," I explained. The council and I agreed that no pony should know about the captain's arrival, so the welcoming party was to be masked as a welcoming party for our new friends.

Rarity stopped working and thought for a few moments before answering. "I suppose a walk could clear my mind, and I am running low on some materials that the farm should be growing... Yes, I can do that for you."

"Thank you. You don't know how much this puts my mind at ease."

"Anytime, Darling... but, if you do not mind, I need to focus on my work," she said, turning back to her dresses.

"I understand. You might have a few other ponies going with you."

"That's fine," she said as she waved me off with her hoof.

The next stop was Applejack's house. Applejack was surprised to see me, to say the least. She seemed almost nervous, but it was probably nothing. She can't lie very well.

"Howdy, Starlight. What can I do for ya'?" she greeted me.

"Hello, Applejack. I just came by to say that we have found a job for you. Temporarily, of course," I assured her.

"That's sounding good right now. I need to get my hoofs back at work, don't want no pony to think I've become lazy, right?" she asked jokingly. "That, and I also really need the bits."

"Good. You can work as a farm pony under Prairie Flowers."

"Alright, when do I leave?"

"I am sending some ponies out there tomorrow to pick up some supplies and come back with some more ponies for the celebration. You can go with them to meet the ponies you'll be working with for a few weeks."

"Alright, I'll do just that," she assured me.

"Now, I hate to leave, but I have other ponies I need to meet with before long. Goodbye."

"Bye."

I found Pinkie Pie in the bakery. After ordering a few muffins, I decided to check on Pinkie Pie's progress with Sugar Belle.

"So, Sugar Belle, how has Pinkie Pie been... adjusting?" I asked.

"She's been doing fine since you've talked to her," Sugar Belle assured me. "She has paid the bakery back every bit for the ingredients she destroyed."

"That's good to hear. Do you mind if I go talk to her?"

"Not at all. We're actually ahead of schedule," Sugar Belle assured me before I left.

Pinkie Pie was baking quite a bit, and she seemed to be used to the muffins now.

"Hello, Pinkie Pie," I greeted her.

"Hi!" She shouted in response. "And I told you already, call me Pinkie. It's what everypony calls me."

"Sorry, Pinkie," I apologized. "Pinkie, do you think you could do me a favor?"

"Sure, what do you need?" She asked. Before I could answer, however, I was interrupted. "Perhaps you need some reconnaissance? Need a cake? Oooo! Do you need somepony to help you kidnap another pony as a birthday surprise?"

"What...? No, no, I don't need any of those!" I said hesitantly. The whole situation still confuses me.

"Well, what do you need?" she asked obliviously.

"I need you to accompany some ponies to go visit the forest. We'll need some logs for the party, and the ponies out there need to be told to return here," I finally got out.

"Okie dokie loki. I can do that. When will it be?" she asked.

"Tomorrow."

"That's super great. I just need to start baking everything that will be needed tomorrow. Hopefully Sugar Belle won't miss me too much... perhaps I should make her a goodbye cake..." she said before trailing off into gibberish. I found myself suddenly on the outside of a conversation that Pinkie Pie was having... with herself. I quickly let myself out.

Before I could get to Fluttershy's house, I was stopped by Fire Hammer.

"Hey, Starlight," he called out to me.

"Hello, Fire. What do you need?" I inquired.

"I just got done with those necklaces you wanted," he said as he showed me the six necklaces I had requested a few weeks ago. They were gilded iron necklaces, with an equal sign as its main piece.

"Thank you, Fire. These are perfect," I told him. "I'll send over the bits later. I'm afraid I still have some errands to run."

"Of course. I'll be waiting," he said before turning and going back to his forge.

Without any other interruptions, I got to Fluttershy's cottage. Fluttershy was already outside, and was talking with a few other ponies. After waiting about ten minutes, Fluttershy noticed me waiting. She said her farewells to the other ponies and trotted over to me.

"Hello, Starlight," she greeted me.

"Hello, Fluttershy," I replied. "How are you?"

"I am doing fine now, thank you. How about you? Are you doing okay?"

"Yes, I am, thank you for asking. I just came by to ask for your help."

"Oh, um... What do you need?" she asked quietly.

"I need some ponies to go to the mines tomorrow and get the stragglers back to town. I was hoping you'd be able to go and meet them."

"Oh, I can do that. Anything for you, Starlight," Fluttershy said with conviction.

"Thank you for your help. I wish I could stay to talk, but I have one more thing to do. Have a good night."

"Goodbye. You too," she said, before walking towards the bakery.

I returned home before setting to work on the necklaces. I had ordered these necklaces as insurance, in case things went bad. It appears I actually have to use them. That night, I spent six hours putting enchantments on the necklaces. If I activated a certain spell, the necklaces would begin to warm up and become tight around a pony's neck. After an hour, they would be hot enough to begin to melt. It is not something I am proud to have made, but I'll have to use them. May Celestia forgive me for what I will be doing.

Author's Note:

If you can catch the reference in this chapter, you get a virtual cookie
(Disclaimer: you will not actually get a cookie)

Remember, Criticism is always welcome.