• Published 27th Apr 2015
  • 3,795 Views, 126 Comments

Equal Equestria Enlightenment - stupidhand14



The alternate story of if Starlight Glimmer was a bit smarter... and less of a fool in the end. This is the story of the possible future, starting from when everypony did not turn against her.

  • ...
13
 126
 3,795

Chapter 11: True Friendship

Starlight Glimmer's Diary Day 399

I awoke to the sound of galloping outside my window. After resigning myself to the fate of waking up, I got out of bed and peered outside the window through slightly closed eyes.

Outside the first group of messenger ponies had returned; the miners. They were followed by a wagon containing many different things we'd need for the festival. After getting myself prepared for the day, I went downstairs to Twilight's room.

I opened the door to find that she was already up, and had already gotten ready for the day. Her bed was made, her mane stylized, and some muffins had small bites out of them on her side table.

"Good morning, Twilight," I greeted her.

"Hello. What's happening outside?" she asked.

"Some ponies from the mines are back, including Fluttershy. Would you like to speak to her?"

"Yes. I'd like that a lot."

We walked out to see that some ponies were unpacking the wagon. While I was watching, Peachy Seashell grabbed a crate and accidentally pulled it wrong. The whole stack of crates began to fall.

"EVERYPONY OUT OF THE WAY!" I shouted before trying to grab some of the crates with my magic. I could not grab them all though, and not all ponies were lucky enough to be outside of the crash zone. Serenity Pop had her leg crushed by one of the crates. Someponies led her to the hospital and I snapped.

"WHAT was THATPeachy Seashell?! WHATwere YOU thinking?!" I shouted. Peachy Seashell shrunk under my admonishing. "You endangered all your friends. Why?!"

"I... I was distracted," came her weak response.

"Distracted?! By what?"

"B-b-by Amber Wishes. I w-w-was w-watching him."

"With no thought for how you might effect your friends... how thoughtless," I told her. She wilted beneath the gaze of everypony in the area. Well, nearly everypony. There were two exceptions; Twilight and Fluttershy.

"I-I'm sorry, everypony. I didn't mean to," she said, pleading with us. After a few seconds, I allowed my face to soften.

"It's okay. Everypony makes mistakes, and what are friends for than to forgive?" I told her and the other ponies. "But there is one pony who will need your help... Do you know what you should do?"

"Yes... Yes! I know! I can help Serenity Pop get better! I can help her run her distillery. Thank you for the advice, Starlight!" Peachy Seashell said loudly before galloping towards the hospital.

With that problem resolved, I returned my attention to my charge. I found her talking to Fluttershy near the back of the crowd.

"Welcome back," I said to Fluttershy. "How was the journey?"

"Oh, it was lovely. This part of Equestria has so many beautiful birds and animals. It was nice seeing them all," Fluttershy informed me before adjusting the necklace I had given her.

"You know, I just remembered, I need your necklace back," I commanded her. She blinked a few times before trying to unstrap the necklace. When she got it off she sighed as she lifted her head and shook her mane.

"Why are you taking it back?" Twilight asked with confusion.

"Because they don't need it anymore. It was so that they would be recognized, but everypony should know them by now. They no longer need it... isn't that right, Fluttershy?"

"Y-Yes, that's correct. No need for those necklaces anymore," she said with a weak smile. I smiled back, but when Fluttershy looked away, I gave Twilight a disappointed look.

"I suppose you would like to spend today with Fluttershy?" I asked Twilight.

"Yes, I would like that a lot," Twilight answered while casting a gaze at Fluttershy.

"Okay, Twilight. Can I just speak to you alone for a few seconds?" I asked while pointing a hoof towards my home.

"Sure... Fluttershy, I'll be right back. Just have to talk with her for a few minutes," Twilight assured her friend before accompanying me inside. I closed the door behind us before speaking.

"Twilight, why did you tell Fluttershy about the necklace?" I asked.

"Because it could have hurt her... I don't know what I'd do if... if..." she said before trailing off with tears in her eyes.

I sighed. It made sense, and I was going to collect the necklaces anyways, but the problem was knowing. Truth is important, but sometimes lies were required.

"Twilight, I am going to take the necklaces back from your friends. Their lives will no longer be in danger, but I just want to ask you one question."

"What's the question?" Twilight asked.

"Do you want to ruin the happiness your friends have here for your own views of what is right? Have you ever been wrong when some of your friends were right?" She winced slightly when I said the last part? "You don't have to answer, I just want you to think about that. You may go now."

Twilight turned and walked away slowly. Her head was drooped slightly and she seemed to be thinking, though it might have been acting. After a minute passed I opened the door again. Double Diamond was waiting outside.

"Did you set followers to watch them?" I asked.

"Just as you requested," he answered me with a smile and a nod.

"Good. Thank you for all the help, Double Diamond."

"Anytime," he said. He opened his mouth as if to say more, but seemed to decide against it.

After a few awkward moments, I walked past him.

"I have some... planning to do for the festival," I told him.

"Of course. If you need anything else, just ask," he responded.

The next six hours were spent overseeing the rest of the supply distributions. As soon as night began to fall, everypony returned to their houses, including myself.

On the opposite side of the street from my house stood a pony trying to hide in the shadows. As I opened the door, I found out why they were there. Fluttershy and Twilight were already waiting for me. Needless to say I was a bit surprised.

"Hello, Starlight," Fluttershy greeted me.

"H-Hello... what are you doing here?" I asked.

"We were just talking about how my life has been since I joined this village," Fluttershy answered for a still quiet Twilight.

"Oh, right... but, Fluttershy, it's already night time. Luna's moon has risen. You'll need to sleep soon if you want to wake up early tomorrow morning to help with the set up," I started.

"I guess we'll have to continue this conversation tomorrow," Twilight said interrupting me.

"Or you could stay here. I have a second spare bedroom, if you two want to continue talking," I finished.

"Are you sure that you don't mind?" Fluttershy asked.

"Not at all. Twilight is still nervous about the change over to the village life, so having a friend help her transition would be good for her, that is, if you don't mind helping her meet new ponies."

"I would love to help Twilight become less shy around other ponies."

"And, Twilight, I hope you don't mind this?"

"I think it is a wonderful idea," Twilight said with a small smile.

"Well then, if neither of you mind me being a poor house guest, I am going to bed. Good night."

"Good night," the other ponies said in unison.

Twilight's door was left unlocked that night, and I did not hear a single sob or a tear shed. She might be finally accepting our ideas.

Author's Note:

Sorry for longer than my normal wait time between chapters, but Finals are coming up and I have to study... stupid Latin America history! But I digress, hope you all enjoy this new update.

Remember, Criticism is always welcome.