• Published 27th Apr 2015
  • 3,795 Views, 126 Comments

Equal Equestria Enlightenment - stupidhand14



The alternate story of if Starlight Glimmer was a bit smarter... and less of a fool in the end. This is the story of the possible future, starting from when everypony did not turn against her.

  • ...
13
 126
 3,795

Chapter 13: Conflicts

Starlight's Diary Day 402

The morning began with somepony knocking on my front door. Outside was still dark, with the moon's fading light painting the landscape in a blue tint. At my door stood Applejack. She had her fore hooves crossed and appeared to have been waiting for some time.

"Hello, Applejack," I started.

"Howdy," she replied. "I just need ta' ask ya' a few questions before the festival started."

"Oh... of course, please, come inside," I told her as I opened the door further.

After sitting down, and getting a small breakfast made, I joined Applejack at my table.

"What did you need to ask me about?"

"I was just wonderin' if I had to wear my hair in the way most ponies around here do," Applejack confided in me.

"Well, only on certain occasions," I said weakly.

"Such as?"

"Like when we do run-throughs of our song, during a festival, or when a very important pony comes through town," I supplied.

"So why does everypony wear their manes like they do?"

"It's probably just easier that way. Not everypony wants to change their hair once a week or so."

"Well, I reckon I best be goin'," Applejack said suddenly as she stood up. "Thank ya' for
breakfast."

"It was my pleasure," I said before leading her outside. After looking outside and seeing that the moon was still about 10 inches from the horizon, I went back to bed.

After several hours of sleep, I awoke to sunlight streaming in through my windows. I looked outside my window to see that some wind was going through the village. It wasn't a strong wind, more of a pleasant breeze. Even if today had been hot, the wind would have been nice. In reality, the day was perfect for what was planned.

I went downstairs once more to make a bit more breakfast for Twilight. It was a simple meal, as all good meals are, which consisted of some bread, a bit of fruit, and some water.

As I knocked on Twilight's door, I realized I had never told her what to do if her brother ever
returned. I had planned on her being ready to see the truth, but I feared, and still do, that she is
still clouding her own sight of truth. My fears were assuaged a bit by seeing her awake and ready
to leave at a moment's notice.

"Good morning, Twilight. I brought you some food," I said as I passed the food over.

"Good morning." Twilight looked at the food for all of two seconds before taking it in her own magic and eating it with a sloppiness I would have thought impossible for a unicorn to have.

"Twilight, I have some great news for you," I said after she had eaten.

"What is it?"

"I give you full access to wander the village, go wherever you want whenever you want... just not outside the city limits."

"Oh... thank you," Twilight said, but added after some hesitation, "Starlight."

After a few more minutes of conversation, I allowed Twilight to leave to go talk with some friends. After a few seconds, another pony casually followed her, at a safe distance. With a smile and a nod, I looked back over the group of ponies walking around the courtyard until I noticed Night Glider.

She was flying a few dozen feet above the village and was handling the moving of some clouds to the northern part of the village.
Needless to say, it was not a very important task. "Night Glider, can I speak to you?" I called up to her.

"Of course," she replied as she descended.

"Please, come in," I said as I motioned inside.

"What is it that you need?," Night Glider asked me. Straight forward, something that I quite enjoy in anypony.

"I need you to go find Fire Hammer, Forest Embers, and Lightning Dreams. Tell Fire Hammer to meet me at 9:00, Forest Embers at 10:00, and Lightning Dreams at 11:00," I ordered her.

"Of course. Anything else?" she asked expectantly.

"No, that is all," I finished before opening the door for her and starting to piece together a plan. I needed to regain the support of the ponies, and if the council would be making decisions for them, that meant making the council see my way.

Fire Hammer arrived promptly when I hoped he would, sweat covering his body.

"What do you need, Starlight?" he asked bluntly, as always.

"I just wanted to talk about a rumor I had heard from some ponies," I informed him.

"What rumor would that be?"

"That the council is trying to overrule a decision I had made concerning new friends that have yet to see the light." Even my own voice sounded cold to me.

Fire Hammer looked around, his eyes darting slightly to the left and right. "Just rumors, I can assure you, Starlight. The council would never try to do something like that."

"Right, of course. Simply rumors," I said as I began to walk around him. "I am sure the council would never wish to try and stop the enlightenment of new friends, that would be ridiculous. An act of fools."

Fire Hammer gulped loudly, and some new sweat was forming. "Of course it would be. I can assure you, that would never happen, Starlight."

"Yes, clearly it was just a rumor. Nothing to pay any mind to, right?"

"Of course... will that be all?" He asked with his voice quivering slightly.

"No, that will be all. Will I see you tomorrow for the festivities?"

"Of course... goodbye," he finished and practically ran out the door.

I regretted threatening a friend, but it was the only way to assure his cooperation. I looked at the clock. It had hardly taken 15 minutes to convince him. I spent the next 40 minutes reading through one of the books in my library, but was more than prepared by the time Forest Embers knocked on my door.

Forest Embers was a much harder pony to pin down. She was always quietly opposed to the equalization process. She was probably the one spearheading the proposition, but that didn't mean she was certain in her belief. Her opinions were swayed very easily if she was shown the truth, even if I did have to practically feed it down her throat. Today was no different.

"Good morning, Forest Embers. How are you?" I greeted her.

"I am doing fine, thanks for asking. How about you?"

"Good, thank you. Do you know why I asked you to come to this meeting?"

"I... have suspicions, but no certainties," Forest Embers said with a smile still on her face.

"Well, I heard there was a proposition about getting rid of the equalization process," I told her seriously.

"Yes, there are talks over that," she replied. Her wings moved slightly, as if she were scared, but that makes no sense.

"Forest Embers, do you remember how we met?"

"Of course I do, Starlight," she answered. "I was sleeping in a rocky outcropping after leaving Canterlot looking for... friendship."

"Yes. Tell me, what made you different than most of the ponies in Canterlot?"

"I was from a lesser known family, and could barely stay in Canterlot for what little schooling there was for nonunicorn ponies."

"Correct," I said. I paused for a few seconds, then asked, "Would any of those Canterlot ponies freely give up their cutie marks and put themselves on the same level as those who they believe are below them?"

"I-I suppose that they would not," Forest Embers said while trailing off.

"That is why the equalization process is needed. It shows the truth to ponies who refuse to listen, making them better," I said with confidence. "Do you get it now?"

"Yes... I think I do, Starlight," she said before bowing her head. "I am sorry for trying to get rid of the equalization process."

"It's okay, Forest. You simply needed it explained, by a friend."

"Thank you, Starlight. I appreciate you making it clear to me."

"It was no trouble. We are friends, we help each other," I finished with a smile. After a few more minutes of gossip, Forest Embers left. I looked at the clock before sighing. That chat had taken up the better part of 30 minutes. All that was left was Lightning Dreams. She was the easiest, since she actually agreed with my opinion on the matter. That talk took less than five minutes and would be a waste of ink and paper to write down.

Once Lightning Dreams left, I heard another knock on the door. Outside was Double Diamond with some good news.

"There are some delivery ponies here, Starlight. They have those apples we ordered a week ago," he informed me.

"That is good news! Where are they dropping off the apples?"

"Just outside the town, the southern side I believe."

"Thank you, Double Diamond," I said before galloping off to the delivery ponies. They had every crate of apples ready, all I had to do was pay the rest of the fee. It was quite a few bits, but it was worth it.

After delegating some ponies to unloading the apples and taking them to the warehouses, I went about the normal menial tasks that I had to do as the mayor of this town. First was checking in with the pony following Twilight, but she had nothing to report. It appears that Twilight truly has accepted our beliefs. Tonight, I shall test it. Her room's door has been left open, but there is a magical trigger on the doors leading outside. If she tries to run, I will know about it tonight.